Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Yami Fenrir posted:

:gonk: Dogs are so much better than i thought. Clearly every man, woman and child needs a canine friend. Or three.

I already fear dogs, and this just makes it worse. Lethal things that could attack you out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Super Jay Mann posted:

I also use a newly captured wolf to bring Koda into the world, in memory of a lost friend. :unsmith:

Hey man thanks. So does he upgrade to robo and Mecha dogs or just become useless in 3000 turns?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

:shittydog:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

GodspeedSphere posted:

Hey man thanks. So does he upgrade to robo and Mecha dogs or just become useless in 3000 turns?

He'll retire to a farm up state and live happily ever after chasing rabbits and sleeping on couches :unsmith:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I hope that the future holds everything from swarms of nanodoggos to planetary-sized puppers.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Randalor posted:

So do you just have the dogs travel in a stack with the main attacker, then split off and surround the target, or do they just wander across the countryside as a swarm of angry dogs and converge on the nearest source of enemy flesh?

Yes :unsmigghh:

GodspeedSphere posted:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Canis is already superior though :smugdog:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

aww hell naw what up dog

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

homo superior: 9 million beakers

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Are cats as good? I seem to recall being able to train a few (no sabretooth cavalry as far as I can see though).

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Prav posted:

homo superior: 9 million beakers

Seems about right for a Nanotech era tech. I made it up to just about to that point in the tech tree in my game before I stopped and you're making several million beakers a turn, so depending on how much of your civilization you devote purely to beakers, you could have it up and running in 2-3 turns.

Also, I see that all :shittydog: of the future also do double duty as Scruff McGruff the Crime Dog.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 9, 2019

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Jossar posted:

Seems about right for a Nanotech era tech. I made it up to just about to that point in the tech tree in my game before I stopped and you're making several million beakers a turn, so depending on how much of your civilization you devote purely to beakers, you could have it up and running in 2-3 turns.

i don't doubt it. exponential growth over a few thousand turns adds up

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

JosephWongKS posted:

I hope this mod allows us to upgrade the dogs to robodogs, cyberdogs and mechadogs as we progress up the tech tree.

Imagine if you will, pneumatic doggo jaws clamping down on a man’s limb, spewing forth superheated steam onto soft, pink flesh. Good boy!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pvt.Scott posted:

Imagine if you will, pneumatic doggo jaws clamping down on a man’s limb, spewing forth superheated steam onto soft, pink flesh. Good boy! forever

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
What good boy, his hour come round at last, slouches towards cyber-Hattusas to be born?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

I hope this mod allows us to upgrade the dogs to robodogs, cyberdogs and mechadogs as we progress up the tech tree.

That reminds me. We need a dog friend named Dogmeat

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.
So do we have myth :shittydog: yet?
While i'm all for genetically engineered super death canine squads destroying the equivalent tech tanks trivially.

There is not 6,000 turns from now to consider.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
So when do we get :shittydog: on boats? This is very important.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

so i've been playing this mod, and guess what the Romani special unit is?

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Roobanguy posted:

so i've been playing this mod, and guess what the Romani special unit is?

Brilliant!

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
Scientology is one of the religions in this

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Thefluffy posted:

Scientology is one of the religions in this

So is Canaanism, which I think is just fascist Judaism?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Bear Knight?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Grapplejack posted:

So is Canaanism, which I think is just fascist Judaism?

Huh, I always figured it was one of those minor Mesopotamian ancient religions. TMYK.

Edit: No, I was right. Fascist Hebrew Caananism was a different thing.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

In addition to the actual Canaanites and their religion, there were the ancient Christian Cainites, who were too cool for school.

Also, there’s Canaanism, which seems to be a quasi-religious Israeli movement focused on decoupling Judaism from Israeli identity, or some such.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Pvt.Scott posted:

In addition to the actual Canaanites and their religion, there were the ancient Christian Cainites, who were too cool for school.

Also, there’s Canaanism, which seems to be a quasi-religious Israeli movement focused on decoupling Judaism from Israeli identity, or some such.

So not the Vampires?

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Clearly our civilization practices Canineism :shittydog:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Gridlocked posted:

So not the Vampires?

Nah, the Cainites were Gnostics into the whole demiurge thing. Cain was the good guy because the god of the Old Testament was actually evil, thus Judas was also the good guy. Contrarian as gently caress, but I can see where they’re coming from.

Vampire the Whatevering Cainites are complete tools, like everyone else in White Wolf.

Miliardo
Dec 3, 2014

Every time I read about the World of Darkness, old or new, it feels like opening a teenager's journal. Both for good and ill.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Miliardo posted:

Every time I read about the World of Darkness, old or new, it feels like opening a teenager's journal. Both for good and ill.

New is less so than Old, but you aren't really wrong either way.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Miliardo posted:

Yeah it's teenaged 90/00's edgy as fuk

Looking forward to TVMB2 though

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Having played the mod, Canaanism in-game is the pre-judaic religion of the levant.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

C2C Gameplay Chapter 11: I'M ON A BOATcanoe, I'M ON A BOATcanoe

Arithmetic unlocks the Aerial Basket Ropeways, a pretty useful National Wonder that gives food, hammers, +25% worker speed and 15% military production but also has some pretty annoying prerequisites, jungle being one of them. So it's a no-go at the capital but will eventually be built in Kanesh, so that's good.

The Stone Maceman that killed our Leadership Tracker is being pursued by the merged axeman and a compliment of very many dogs. Oh it will die.

Gotta love overflow combined with so many production bonuses :v: The messed up part is that we aren't even scratching the surface of the kinds of yields are cities will be capable throughout this game.

We're also starting to get to better Yield Builds. Lesser Wealth (along with the others) upgrades to 40% of production from Meager's 30%. As seen in the last screenshot, this can actually be very beneficial to make use of as our production grows.

Oh, well this is a problem.

So that Maceman showed up out of nowhere on this turn, and I eventually figured out that map tiles with Stone, Obsidian, and later metals like Iron actually act as permanent spawn points for barbarian units. I quite like this, and it's especially consistent with how certain animals spawn on the resources they provide, and it also gives added incentive to claim these valuable strategic resource spots before the barbs do.

For its part, the Maceman actually leaves my city alone but I build a couple extra Spiked Clubman (better to build cheaper units while available and upgrade them later) to keep an eye on any units that show up. Annoying how this happens while my main forces are on the other side of the city but what can you do?

This time the dogs I brought were definitely overkill, as the Surround and Destroy bonus does have a cap that I reach quite quickly even with only this amount of surrounding. Ah well, I have my adorable Humankisser go to the Maceman to give it some much needed smooching :getin:

Oh come on :argh: :argh:

Poor Humankisser, I guess it got tired of licking or something. For real though, bad combat rolls will happen and given the nature of combat in C2C, all it needed to do was lose a couple of unlucky rolls at the start of the combat for it to spiral out of control. Pour one out for our first canine casualty :(

Koda avenges his comrade and kills the Maceman for good.

Oh yeah, this happened. The Nomadic Herd's yields are different depending on the resource improved, so while the initial Scavenging Camp only provided +1 food, the new improvement provides +2 hammers and +1 commerce and will upgrade along the Pasture path.

Incidentally, the Deer tile cannot upgrade to this improvement as the resource is incompatible. Instead, it will upgrade to a Hunting Camp, and that comes a bit later in the tech tree.

Equine Domestication should be pretty obvious as to what it does. Still though, there are a couple of interesting things to take note of, such as the Central Breeder - Horse and apparently the ability to ride reindeers into combat. :stare:

Thanks to ssmagus for reminding me that ALT+X is a thing, making the application and display of dot maps far more convenient and less Painty. A settling party is heading to this spot in short order.

Troubling. I don't recall seeing this unit while moving so either it was outside my vision or some of these Ambushers are actually invisible as they should be. Not sure which.

Can't be running around willy-nilly anymore.

Aha, and here we have our first enemy naval units. Carthage went down the Prehistoric naval path much sooner than I did, so that allows the barbarians to start spawning them. Looks like I'm going to have to invest in some water presence in the near future.

Germany becomes the next civ to reach Tribalism.

Snarles Barkley is born in Hattusas and I give it Bloodhound I just because. I'm not 100% sure if this bonus applies to fighting Ambushers but I imagine it doesn't as Ambushers are technically classified as Strike Teams.

Fly like the wind Missile! :shittydog:

4 movement units that ignore terrain costs are way more useful than you would think.

Snarles Barkley joins my first fresh hunting squad! Taking some advice from Thunderbrd, I'm accompanying all my new Hunters with Goad II Scouts to provide an extra layer of protection in case of running into strong barbs, a more pressing concern now given the presence of Ambushers wandering about. Like Trackers, Hunters are limited to only 5 in my empire so I reach that limit quickly.

The buildings with the shield icons are the Animal Trainer buildings. These buildings need to be built in a city that has the respective animal resource either from being in its workable radius or being manufactured and is what allows the creation of pretty much every corresponding combat unit using that animal. These buildings, for horses and mules, can be built by every city but some combat animals may requires a bit more work...

Time for water! Raft Building is as basic as basic gets for water techs, allowing only a Raft and the ability to form trade routes through rivers and lakes.

Yes, there are water animals as well that our boats can potentially subdue (thus the Sea Hunter promotions) but in my experience they seem to be pretty rare, at least along the coastline.

Our dogs show their mettle once again, intercepting an approaching Exile before it has a chance to infiltrate any of our cities. It dies unceremoniously.

Oh yeah, our acquisition of Leather last update means we can finally get some hats! :tipshat: Any gold bonus is welcome, especially since gold has been an ongoing issue as I've built more units to roam the countryside and to control my new cities.

I uh, don't actually know what this can be referring to. The closest thing I have is something related to the Otin River?

The Chief's Hut is a strong building exclusive to the Chiefdom civic. Extra unit experience, +2 espionage (later +4), -10 Crime, reduced maintenance, all good stuff. There's even a World Wonder later on that grants a free Chief's Hut in every city even in civics beyond Chiefdom, so that's something we want to aim for if possible.

Anywho, about that raft. It's our first available naval unit and I could build it to start on my exploration right away, but...

Yeah, no.

It has space for cargo, something which I'll hopefully get into later, but as a pure exploration combat unit it's as hilariously underpowered as it gets. Fortunately we're not done yet.

I think this is a random quest event from the base game? I don't quite remember, I rarely if ever play Civ 4 with events on anyone but it looks like something you'd see in the base game. Regardless, Stables aren't going to be a thing for a long while yet so I'll just keep this in the back of my mind.

Boat Building gives us a bit more to work with on the deep blue, granting us two more naval units and some more cultures.

Akuwa (sorry for obscuring the name) is founded on the Eastern coast as planned, and all the usual animals and stuff are built for it. It did have to wait a turn or so for slaves to arrive to get those buildings online but hey, my Ambushers can only move so fast.

This has potential to be quite a strong city.

Assyria reaches Tribalism third. I'm starting to get a bit worried at the lack of settlements but I didn't pay it much mind at the time. Carthage also gets Tribalism soon thereafter, though I forgot to screenshot that.

The Kayak and Canoe are immediate upgrades over the Raft. Well, I say "upgrade" but they're still pretty underwhelming. The Kayak has 100% vs wild animals and can enter other player's borders without Open Borders, but has a paltry 1 base strength with 44HP for a modified total of 0.44. The Canoe has some bite behind it, being 2 base strength with 66HP and having a higher base cargo space than the Raft, but is otherwise unremarkable. At least they're both 2 movers. I could still build some of these to explore the coast. But I won't.

Cause we're not done with water yet.

Fishing finally gives us something to do with our water resources. We can build a 1-move work boat, have access to a number of new buildings that enhance our cities with access to sea resources and certain subdued sea creatures, and even some new manufactured resources to build towards.

I sent my upgraded Hunter East a while ago to take a look at Germany's land. Turns out Frederick has been doing a poor job keeping that Obsidian node under control. Those will not be easy units to dislodge, and in fact Germany will spend quite a bit of time and resources trying to get rid of them. It always pays to be proactive dealing with barbs.

Boat Building gave us access to the River Port, a potentially hugely powerful building if your city lies on a long, winding river. Even in our capital the few river tiles it has will pay dividends over time. Well worth building whenever possible.

I decided after more thinking to move the settlement of our 5th city. I realized that there's a hard-to-see oasis adjacent to this spot which means it'll have fresh water, and it will grab a whole lot more resources along with the intended silver, including that troublesome Obsidian tile. Salt and Cotton will be quite useful there as well.

Additionally, I kind of forgot that Barringer Crater was right there, so just settling around it will give me immediate access to a powerful building. Really should have identified this spot sooner than I did. :sweatdrop:

Yeah, when I said Animal Trainers gave you access to every available unit, I meant it.

Granted, the majority of these are Culture-specific unique units but the point stands.

I also queue up the Canoe Builder's Hut, which is required to build pretty much all the early naval units. Might as well take care of that now before anything else.

Seeing the Tribe just sitting in Berlin with my Rogue for so many turns is what made me start to suspect that something was amiss. I know the AI can be bad sometimes, and even in the original game the AI would sometimes have trouble moving out its settlers if it couldn't lock on to a good spot to go to in advance, but never for this long, and from every AI. I continued playing till the stopping point, but I knew that if this issue weren't somehow fixed that this LP would end before it ever really got started.

Missile finds a wandering damaged Ambusher. This could be the one that killed my Tracker down South but there's no way to be sure.

It does die, but not without some surrounding to tip the odds in Missile's favor.

It's almost nostalgic seeing an original Civ 4 tech quote at this point, and the added citation for it is a nice touch. It was a bit suspect because I didn't think a proverb that universal could be traced back to a specific source but nope, turns out if Wikipedia is to be believed, this indeed was the first known use of this idiom, in English at least. Fancy that.

Hey look, another Middle Eastern Culture! And it requires a resource that we don't have and will not have access to any time in the near future :argh:

Ah, here's the ticket. Harpoon Making is the last of the Prehistoric naval techs. Aside from the last Sea Hunter promotions and some animal-related buildings, we get access to an actual good naval unit.

Missile is the first to reach 10 EXP after killing the Ambusher and thus the first to reach Might. You're such a mighty dog aren't you, good boy, goood boy! :shittydog:

Barbarian cities are starting to sprout up now. I believe barbarian cities eventually morphing into full-fledged civs is a mechanic in this mod, but I'm not 100% sure if I'm confusing that with a number of other mods. I'll have to take a second look at some point to make sure but for now, it's well out of our way.

Speaking of distant borders, I can catch a fleeting glimpse of the territory of one of our two unknown players! Unfortunately, unless I can promote this Hunter again with Hunting Sight II or somehow get a boat over this way, I can't quite get enough vision to actually meet the civ.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot this was a thing. I could have built this in my cities as soon as I got Poultry Domestication but it kind of slipped my mind. It unfortunately won't lead anywhere useful with our current resources but those bonuses can be useful down the line.

Welp, I got a bit too gung-ho and put my hunting party right next to an obsidian unit. Sennacherib seems to be having similar issues given its Trained Dog is on the same spot. I suppose this is what I brought the Scout for. Come on, show me your withdrawing powers!

(Also holy crap look at how many units that city has already :stonk: )

Well uh, at least it protected my actual important units? So it's fine I guess.

Whales would be nice to have, and in fact there is a far off one right outside our capital borders we could improve once they expand. Possibly anyway, Civ 4 is kind of weird about how borders expand into ocean tiles so I can't be sure if I'll actually get the tile or not.

On another note, this Group Wonder is intriguing. We'll get back to this, but these wonders represent an avenue by which to gain temporary Traits that will help us through the Ancient Era. Interesting stuff, but we're still too early to worry much about it.

Camelid Domestication would be quite useful if we had camels. As it is, it's just a filler tech.

Now we're getting somewhere. :getin: The War Canoe doesn't have any special bonuses, it's just a very powerful unit that will dominate all the ones that come before it. These are the naval units I was planning to build from the start, and I immediately get three of them queued up and ready to go.

Another Obsidian Maceman spawns. This time I have units ready to take care of it immediately.

I didn't even know until playing this game that camels and llamas are apparently related to each other. I guess you do learn a thing or two playing Civ :v:

Oh yeah, War Canoes also display the first instance of another mechanic that was probably a holdover of the mod's origins as Rise of Man, the Ranged Assault. Siege and Archer units have this ability and allows the unit to perform collateral damage on a stack of units without initiating an attack, which can be quite powerful when brought in numbers. I don't use it here because my War Canoes can overrun these units in regular combat, but it's worth noting its existence now.

Ceremonial Burial brings us back to the spiritualist past of the tech tree. The Burial Traditions are a mutually exclusive set of buildings that provide minor specific bonuses and is meant to represent how different cities and regions had different traditions for how they handled their dead. Doesn't really have a huge impact on the game, but I do like nice touches like these.

You may have noticed these weird island looking things in the water during play. Are they just some kind of special terrain feature that provides some kind of bonus yield?

Nope, they're the water version of Tribal Villages! Unexplored Islands serve the exact same purpose and provide the same bonuses. Unfortunately they also have similar drawbacks, and in fact they're the reason I waited until War Canoes to get my navy started. In my test game I immediately set out with Raft, Canoes, and Kayaks and got really surprised when an Unexplored Island spawned a number of barbarian War Canoes right on my doorstep :stare:

Nothing like that happens in this game though. Not yet anyway.

Of course, our War Canoes can't venture out any farther than the immediate coast when outside of our territory, so Unexplored Islands like these end up just barely out of reach for the time being

Man, getting the Egyptian culture would have been neat, they have some really cool bonuses and War Chariots are pretty sweet and we even have the resource requirements. Sadly, they require an African native culture :(

Why yes, Feline Domestication does allow us access to cats for both war and profit. This is a thing we can do.

Doggo gets in on the action by taking care of a Rogue exiting out of France. The amount of criminal units I'm seeing is getting slightly uncomfortable.

The Boatyard is a particularly strong building enabled by Fishing. Free Specialists are always great and even just the one fishing boat I have in my capital makes it well worth building.

Yes, the gold star on that Animal Trainer building does indeed mean it's a World Wonder. More on that in a bit...

Elephant Domestication is yet another tech with obvious implications. Elephant units were quite overpowered in Civ 4 to the point where they were outright banned in many PBEM multiplayer games at the sites I frequent, so I'm curious to see how formidable they will be in this mod.

I notice that Carchimesh has a cave in its borders, so I queue up one of the remaining Prehistoric Cave Group Wonders, the PC Charlie Lake Cave. This was actually probably a mistake from a pure efficiency standpoint due to something I only remembered later on, but for the sake of the LP I think it's nice to get one of these while I can.

The Log Bridge is an example of one of the special trade-route enabling buildings I mentioned last update, available if you have certain wood resources and are on a river. It offers an extra trade route but also makes the city more susceptible to attack as seen here. After all, an enemy would be able to use bridges against you, wouldn't they?

I built one already in my capital so this is the one I'm getting in Kanesh.

Speaking of the capital, what you see here is all the Culture buildings I have access to in my capital but can't build due to having the wrong native culture. That's quite a lot of them.

And yes, all the other native cultures you can start with have at least one representative among these :(

The Travois Maker is a building I neglected for too long, as its a necessary prerequisite to a LOT of useful buildings.

A travois, by the way, consists of a platform mounted on a triangular formation of long poles and was used to drag loads of goods on land by the Native Americans, using dogs and later horses for the labor. So basically a forbearer to wheeled carriages.

Kummanni, our fifth and final city for now, is settled without incident. All the usual stuff is used on the first turn to enhance its yields and it immediately gets started on its important infrastructure.

I'm pretty sure this wasn't intended, but I was able to load my Great General onto one of my Ambushers. This allows it to travel with my Ambusher undetected and gain experience from any combat the Ambusher engages in. This will be a pretty nice way to level it up, provided I don't lose the Ambusher of course.

Here I've been taking advantage of the barbarian spawning mechanics, camping one of my Stone Spearman and some dogs around this area to intercept newly spawned units, hoping to grab some captives. It's been working quite well!

I should note that if I had settled Kanesh one tile to the left, I would have fulfilled all the conditions to build Culture (Hurrians) in that city, as it's a Middle Eastern culture that only requires Prime Timber and coastal access. I would have missed the copper though, and I think its current spot is better in the long run. Maybe next time.

This is Megafauna Domestication. I will provide no additional comment, I'm sure this speaks for itself. :hist101:

Yeah, remember when I said these Natural Wonder buildings were very powerful?

That was not an exaggeration.

Sennacherib revolts to Burned, a Civic found in Fire Making, a tech we haven't gotten yet. I won't get into what it does yet both because we don't have it yet and because the newer SVN version changed up the Civics again, so I'll wait until next time to get into it.

I took the time to make some additional build lists devoted to focusing on building buildings with specific yields. This should greatly simplify when I want to put a city on autopilot, though I will need to add new queues as more buildings become available. And yes, I did modify the python files to automatically start with only constructible items being shown, so no waiting a minute and a half for this screen to show up every time I start the game.

This Ambusher has been a thorn in my side. I've been chasing it with Doggo, but as you can see it's not really equipped to deal with it on its own. This is where the Ambusher's fast movement really works against me, as it's hard to get anything other than dogs in position to take it down without having questionable odds at best.

Well that's not quite true, my Ambushers can handle them pretty well too, so hopefully I can get the one nearby into position.

Just look at all those Animal Trainer buildings. :getin: Lots of wonderful options.

But man those are some expensive wonders. I could in theory just build all of them but that's a lot of time being spent on building expensive wonders this early on. And besides, wouldn't it be more fun to actually make it a choice?

Audience Participation: Beasts of Burden

I'm going to focus on one, and only one, of the available Megafauna options. These are explicitly mentioned as being just fun "what if" tech options that have little-to-no basis in what happened in real history, so we're truly in uncharted waters here. Do note though that some of these options become available sooner than others, as we won't be able to build some of these until we reach Ancient Era.

So the question is, Which awesome giant animal will we tame and train for use in bloody warfare? Our candidates are

A. Trained Cat

A giant cat similar to our dogs :shittydog: but a heck of a lot stronger. They also have Hidden Nationality and invisibility like our Ambushers. And unlike the other options, these will be available as soon as we finish the Animal Trainer. On the down side, these may end up overshadowing our dogs since they serve the same purpose, even without the Canine promotions.

B. Deer Rider

Impale our foes with devastating Buck Antlers and become masters of all open terrain! The defense modifiers are kind of odd though, since the unit specifically doesn't get defensive bonuses, but maybe I'm just misunderstanding. Not available until Ancient Era, though it's fairly early on.

C. Bear Rider

Ride a sharp-teethed Grizzly Bear into battle. You can't get much cooler than that. A very strong unit but without much in the way of general bonuses. It absolutely destroys early Siege units though. Available at the same point as the Deer Rider.

D. Asiatic War Rhinoceros

The weakest and slowest unit of the bunch, and not ideal for roaming the land picking off wandering units. But oh man, that collateral and more importantly, that Stampede ability. :stare: :stonk:

It can be built immediately upon finishing the wonder.

As usual, at least 24 hours of voting and no more than 48, depending on how close the vote totals are.

----------------------

NEXT TIME: The end of an era, and the beginning of a new one I hope, anyway

Next SVN update I'm using is going to have a bunch of changes that will impact our game for both good and ill, but I'm okay with just rolling with it. We'll see how things progress as we enter the sunset of Prehistory.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

I was going to vote bears, but then I read the description for the rhinos. :getin:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Cats

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 17, 2019

Thunderclan
Dec 24, 2013
Cats Seems like having more stealth options would be good as the game goes on

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Rhinos!

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Rhinos...RHIIIINOOOOS!

(couldn't resist)

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I was going to vote for bears, but then I saw RHINO as an option, and I knew that just had to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Kitties!