Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I think we might be needing a link.

E: crap, new page. Regarding Mel B being ridiculous on television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Here's the version without her -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4mUCRAPLas

But I guess it only makes sense if you know what you're missing out on -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS2CIVWj7U0

e: Ha! I didn't realize she was physically edited out of the shots, I presumed they just cut around her. That's hilarious and mad.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 8, 2019

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

Here's the version without her -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4mUCRAPLas

e: Ha! I didn't realize she was physically edited out of the shots, I presumed they just cut around her. That's hilarious and mad.

I love when they start referencing Spice Girl lyrics while she gets increasingly annoyed.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Okay I'm sorry but this is amazing.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mel B is a treasure

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

How can someone think editing her out makes it better? Those shows can be a bit of a trainwreck when you get someone like her or Big Narstie on and you're trying to figure out how much they're in on the joke of how out of step they are, but that's the fun of it. I watch the Big Fat Quiz to see Jimmy Carr have a meltdown trying to keep people on script and those folks deliver.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Propaganda Machine posted:

I got to see it on Broadway. The set and staging is just intensely creative and effective. If you can make it happen you owe it to yourself.

The comedy bit is that this is when Mel B of Spice Girls fame played Mimi and she was the worst part by far.

The current RENT tour is a lovely non-Eq production with a completely different set, direction and a bunch of cast that look like they just got out of high school.

Don’t ruin it. Just get the DVD of the final Broadway cast and watch that.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

CaveGrinch posted:

The current RENT tour is a lovely non-Eq production with a completely different set, direction and a bunch of cast that look like they just got out of high school.

Don’t ruin it. Just get the DVD of the final Broadway cast and watch that.

Plus future Hamil-Tony winner Renee Elise Goldsberry as Mimi!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
They released an official video for You Happened from The Prom!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URukHjsVRu8

We now have video of both the Broadway version and the completely different Atlanta version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEUABW27NGc

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I saw The Play That Goes Wrong last night. It was hilarious, highly recommend. The premise is a small community theatre putting on a serious murder-mystery and everything coming off at the seams. Ridiculously funny.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
My aunt got tickets to go see Beetlejuice next Thursday, and I'm super excited. I suggested it to her last week as a "maybe whenever" idea and she had tickets by the weekend.

I'll let y'all know how it turns out!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

garthoneeye posted:

I saw The Play That Goes Wrong last night. It was hilarious, highly recommend. The premise is a small community theatre putting on a serious murder-mystery and everything coming off at the seams. Ridiculously funny.

Warning that this group’s other piece, The Comedy About A Bank Robbery, is far worse. Unless you really really love fork handles/four candles-esque puns.

The Play That Goes Wrong is loving brilliant though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I want to see that, as it sounds like the same concept as the British group Mischief Theatre, who did Peter Pan Goes Wrong and A Christmas Carol Goes Wrong. Those are pantomime productions, so I'm not sure an American audience would care for them as much, but they were both aired by the BBC so worth hunting down and checking out at least.

e: ah, Play That Goes Wrong is also by Mischief theatre, so more than just a similar concept!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I want to see that, as it sounds like the same concept as the British group Mischief Theatre, who did Peter Pan Goes Wrong and A Christmas Carol Goes Wrong. Those are pantomime productions, so I'm not sure an American audience would care for them as much, but they were both aired by the BBC so worth hunting down and checking out at least.

e: ah, Play That Goes Wrong is also by Mischief theatre, so more than just a similar concept!

Peter Pan Goes Wrong was wonderful. I couldn't get as much into Christmas Carol though, I think leaving the one-stage format broke it for me and took me out of the visceral nostalgia.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, I haven't seen Christmas Carol yet but I think the unexpectedness of how Peter Pan went was such a factor in me liking it. Always hard to do a sequel that hits as well.

We had Dear Evan Hansen last night, and it was so good. Always appreciate a show that's so long where one actor is in, I believe, every scene and kills it. In a season where we had Hamilton I'm glad it seems to have been getting great turnouts, as so far it's the best show we've had here imo.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I saw DEH in Toronto a few days after it opened, and they nailed it.

I'm still bitter that I'll probably never get a Wicked full recording with Mary-Kate Morrissey.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

That's coming to Vancouver around when I'm seeing Waitress and RENT. Assuming I'm not dirt poor after them I'll def go see DEH as well.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Personally I found DEH leagues above Waitress, but personal opinion n stuff. I've never seen Rent, so hoping it pops up here somewhere at some point whether a tour or local.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm at Beetlejuice right now waiting for my family to get seated.

We got killer seats.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 5, 2019

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Got out of Beetlejuice. Was rad as heck.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Bought tickets to see Dear Evan Hansen in DC in August! I snagged much better seats than what we had for the Book of Mormon. I'd love to see Falsettos but I'm not sure if I can swing that much money.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The Prom just revealed that Ryan Murphy is doing a netflix film adaptation. Yay? :confuoot:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Fosse/Vernon premiered on FX last night, and it was fascinating, with stellar editing (and of course choreography). Everyone posting in this thread should check it out.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Fosse/Vernon premiered on FX last night, and it was fascinating, with stellar editing (and of course choreography). Everyone posting in this thread should check it out.

I was all hype to watch it then got drunk after work and forgot. The good news is I'm off today and will be watchin that poo poo FO SHO!! Been really excited since they announced this. Michelle Williams is a treasure, and Sam Rockwell is lowkey genius casting for Fosse imo.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

And by lowkey I clearly mean highkey. Sam Rockwell owns.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Got to see Ragtime last night. I really love that show.
The performance was phenomenal. Well staged, well acted, well sung. Ragtime’s score is one of my favorites and this was my first opportunity to actually see the show. Fantastic.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Tony Nominations are out

https://www.goldderby.com/article/2019/2019-tony-awards-nominations-full-list-73rd-tonys/

looks like it's the year of Hadestown, for which I am glad.

E: Too long to list them all but here's the number of nominations

Hadestown - 14
Ain't Too Proud - The Life and Times of the Temptations - 12
Tootsie - 11
The Ferryman - 9
To Kill a Mockingbird - 9
Beetlejuice - 8
Rodgers & Hammerstein's Oklahoma! - 8
Gary: A Sequel to Titus Andronicus - 7
The Prom - 7
Ink - 6
Network - 5
Choir Boy - 4
Kiss Me, Kate - 4
Arthur Miller's All My Sons - 3
Burn This - 3
The Cher Show - 3
King Kong - 3
Bernhardt/Hamlet - 2
The Boys in the Band - 2
Torch Song - 2
The Waverly Gallery - 2
What the Constitution Means to Me - 2
Be More Chill - 1
Hillary and Clinton - 1
King Lear - 1

Senerio fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 30, 2019

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Saw Miss Saigon last night. It was okay.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Stars in the Alley was today, so keep an eye onto youtube for the full performances. All the ones I caught were stellar.

In the meantime Bwayworld has highlights of all most of the performances on their twitter.

https://twitter.com/BroadwayWorld/status/1126922395552448513

Senerio fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 10, 2019

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

garthoneeye posted:

Got to see Ragtime last night. I really love that show.
The performance was phenomenal. Well staged, well acted, well sung. Ragtime’s score is one of my favorites and this was my first opportunity to actually see the show. Fantastic.

We had to do a bunch of Ragtime poo poo for choir one year, and I'd forgotten how much fun it was until now. I think the music hits the perfect medium between approachable and musically clever, really evocative of time and place in a way that a lot of other shows miss completely (Showboat, anyone?).

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Senerio posted:

Stars in the Alley was today, so keep an eye onto youtube for the full performances. All the ones I caught were stellar.

In the meantime Bwayworld has highlights of all most of the performances on their twitter.

https://twitter.com/BroadwayWorld/status/1126922395552448513

I love Mary-Kate Morrissey so much.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So The Prom's latest marketing stunt is pretty smart

The show opens with a reporter reporting on the flop the actors are in, so they're having real reporters cameo.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Netflix has a documentary called "Bathtubs Over Broadway". It's about a Late Night with Letterman writer who became obsessed with tracking down cast albums from corporate created musicals. Wonderful little film.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
We've been in New York since Wednesday, celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary a few months early. This was our first trip back since our October 2009 honeymoon. We saw Hamilton on Thursday night with excellent orchestra seats in row O, and it not only lived up to all the hype, but surpassed it. I was psyched to recognize our Lafayette/Jefferson, James Monroe Iglehart, as Titus' Broadway rival Coriolanus Burt, from The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

We just came back from seeing Chicago, a brilliant idea we had yesterday, after scoring even better orchestra seats in row E. That was particularly well-timed, seeing it just a few days after this week's excellent Fosse/Verdon episode about the making of Chicago. My wife and I agreed we still like the movie better, but the girl who played Roxie Hart is a superstar in the making, and far better than Renee Zellwegger.

We have to leave tomorrow, which is a bummer, except it has been super-expensive. We've also been eating like kings, though.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

We've been in New York since Wednesday, celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary a few months early. This was our first trip back since our October 2009 honeymoon. We saw Hamilton on Thursday night with excellent orchestra seats in row O, and it not only lived up to all the hype, but surpassed it. I was psyched to recognize our Lafayette/Jefferson, James Monroe Iglehart, as Titus' Broadway rival Coriolanus Burt, from The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

He was phenomenal as Genie in Aladdin.

In other news, I'm posting this because I can't hype up The Prom hard enough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSpZwAoK5jk

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Would it be ok if I used this as the Fosse/Verdon thread?

FOSSE/VERDON RULES SO HARD

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

man I need to catch up on that.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaisszHQ7yg

This was basically Hadestown telling the American Theatre Wing "hey you forgot someone"

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Taking the kids to see Book of Mormon on Sunday. To be honest, I'm going to be watching them watch the show as much as I'm watching the show. I love that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Whoever chose 'The Whole Being Dead Thing' for Beetlejuice's performance needs to take another listen to that cast album. 'Beautiful Sound' would have been much better.