Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I always forget those post- LotD movies exist in the series. It’s a quadrology in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Is there one after Diary? That's when I decided I didn't want to tarnish things any further.

Oh God, there's not only one after Diary there's 2 more coming.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I didn't see Survival of the Dead, but there's no way on earth that it's worse than Diary.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

I didn't see Survival of the Dead, but there's no way on earth that it's worse than Diary.

It’s kind of a toss up to be honest. I’ll strongly defend Land but Diary and Survival have like one good scene between them.

That being said I saw Survival with Romero in attendance after meeting him earlier that day and it was a great time.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Oh I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, Romero’s one of the greatest horror filmmakers or independent filmmakers of all time, he’s just very unsubtle

Land of the Dead is extremely overdue for reevaluation by the way, very good movie

Right, it's not about the movie, it's trying to suss out what Mel's talking about, because his original statement was talking about dawn as if it were subtle, which we've established that it definitely is not.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think Romero was a lot more subtle than you are giving him credit for, he didn't start beating you over the head with his message until Day (post-Dawn)

Also, Leguizamo, Dennis Hopper, and Robert Joy owned the poo poo out of Land of the Dead. They should've casted Leguizamo as the lead, the other guy was vanilla in every sense of the word.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
This talk of subtlety reminds me of the least subtle scene ever

https://youtu.be/z_v0Ma9Sp9I

Skip to 2:03

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

This talk of subtlety reminds me of the least subtle scene ever

https://youtu.be/z_v0Ma9Sp9I

Skip to 2:03

I retract what I said earlier.

Volcano is a pretty bad movie overall but that scene of John Carroll Lynch getting consumed by lava is such a delight. One of my favorite movie deaths.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

STAC Goat posted:

Romero's has something to say and blah blah blah. Snyder's is an action flick doing an ax solo blah blah blah. I think they're such fundamentally different films with such fundamentally different goals that its barely even worth comparing them. I've seen Snyder's more but that's mostly because its so easy to get your hands on and Romero's is so drat impossible.

Although I'm sure there's someone who will make a passionate argument that Snyder's film has a whooooooooole lot to say.

The issue is that everyone knows that Romero’s film is “about consumerism”, but that’s the extent of it. What is it saying about consumerism?

That’s where we go back to the apartment building raid at the start of the film, where the Santeria god of life and death, Babalu Aye, appears. That’s the dude with the crutches.

“God of the epidemics and the sick. I pray to you now, have pity on us your children. Oh, glorious father, keep sickness away from my home, and protect your children from epidemics. Thank you my father."
-Santeria Prayer

Babalu Aye is walking on one leg because he’s fed his other leg to the zombies, mirroring the solution that the crazed scientist proposes near the end of the film: since the zombies are hugely inefficient at eating (only 5% of a given corpse is eaten before it reanimates), the solution is to feed them human flesh. If a corpse is divvied up into 20 equal pieces, it obviously can’t revive - and the 20 zombies you’ve fed will lose their incentive to hunt people. Babalu Aye doesn’t even bother keeping the door closed on the feeding room. It works!

Romero’s stance is that the scientist is right; in a New-Agey way, the latest scientific discoveries reveal the power of the traditional African wisdom.

But besides being a very weird take on communion, this means the characters are hosed from the moment they all jump on the helicopter, rejecting Babalu Aye. That’s why Romero famously had no idea how to actually end the film, and resorted to an ironic action scene (with cheesy faux-triumphant music). Peter forgets what his father taught him, and Fran is only vaguely haunted by the image of a nun while she contemplates abortion. Neither really learns anything.

Snyder’s version of Dawn is innovative because it’s actually about consumerism. The entire point is that Sarah Polley’s character goes to the mall in order to dull the pain from the loss of her husband. The characters actually secure the mall early in the film, and then coast through life while the world collapses around them - so there’s arguably less action than in Romero’s film, where Flyboy is constantly fighting to secure a comfortable lifestyle for his family.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It’s kind of a toss up to be honest. I’ll strongly defend Land but Diary and Survival have like one good scene between them.

That being said I saw Survival with Romero in attendance after meeting him earlier that day and it was a great time.

I saw Romero at the Land premiere, he's so awesome in person. He also came to my college while I was working there and I got to show him around our film audio facility. It was pretty loving cool. He was a giant in real life, I'm glad I had the chance to meet him.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean I think we have different definitions of subtlety

So are you saying that's not overt?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm rewatching Dawn of the Dead 2004, one of my favorites, on HBO. Is it just me or does this movie have a god tier opening credits sequence?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTYNwwPQH4k

:eyepop:

Zack Snyder was born to direct montages.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Dawn of the Dead remake had no reason to be a remake other than name recognition

Like, just change the mall to literally anything else, gently caress it, a hotel, and boom you have your own movie that won't be hurt by the comparison

It wouldn't have gotten financed if it wasn't a remake sadly.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

LMAO at the posers itt discussing intellectual bullshit subtext in zombie films instead of appreciating the FX of Lucio Fulci's masterpiece Zombi and replaying the eyeball scene over and over

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Kvlt! posted:

LMAO at the posers itt discussing intellectual bullshit subtext in zombie films instead of appreciating the FX of Lucio Fulci's masterpiece Zombi and replaying the eyeball scene over and over

How would you rate the eyeball scene compared to Gates of Hell's vomiting up of the stundines?

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
The worst aspect of Land of the Dead is that Bob Hoskins isn't in it, so they didn't go all-in as a Super Mario Bros sequel.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

My favorite moment in Land of the Dead is when Leguizamo brings a bottle of champagne up to Hopper's place and serves it to him in a highball glass or whatever it is.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The plot is fairly unimportant, but the gist is that a coven of witches in the 1980s are using time-travel magick to perform rituals on their future relatives, loving them over in exchange for immediate wealth.

So it's about the Reagan Democrats.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

Is eyeball scene your personal favorite Fulci gore moment? I'd like your top-3 whenever you get a chance, tia.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
the eyeball scene is not as good as the shark fight don't @ me

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the drill scene in City of the Living Dead is the ultimate example of Fulci's dedication to gore, because it's totally ancillary to the plot. It's like, ok we're in the middle of the apocalypse but also this dude mistakenly thinks another dude is hitting on his daughter so he puts a power drill through his head, the end.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Truth

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Origami Dali posted:

Eh at least the original DotD was saying something. All Snyder's version said was *guitar riff*.

In the original DotD there's that scene where Peter points the rifle at Roger as a warning to be careful with his own gun, emphasising how scary it is to have someone pointing a gun at you.
In the remake (I forget the characters) but Angry-Cop(?) points the handgun at the lead actress and she says (paraphrasing) "I told you to get that loving gun out of my face."
I really wasn't that impressed by DotD remake, it was the same scenario just with all the original context stripped away, and it felt like they didn't understand what they were remaking...

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I feel really bad for that shark; it's so scared :(

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Darko posted:

Considering how animals are usually treated on Italian horror films it got off lucky

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SecretOfSteel posted:

In the original DotD there's that scene where Peter points the rifle at Roger as a warning to be careful with his own gun, emphasising how scary it is to have someone pointing a gun at you.
In the remake (I forget the characters) but Angry-Cop(?) points the handgun at the lead actress and she says (paraphrasing) "I told you to get that loving gun out of my face."
I really wasn't that impressed by DotD remake, it was the same scenario just with all the original context stripped away, and it felt like they didn't understand what they were remaking...

...alright.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Darko posted:

Sharks don't feel fear. You ever looked into a shark's eye? It's like a doll's eye...

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Do you know that no one has ever seen sharks gently caress

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Do you know that no one has ever seen sharks gently caress

Well, there go my plans to make Vajawjaws: An XXX Parody.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SecretOfSteel posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about the remake. I watched it, I didn't like it. I think that is a problem I have with remakes from the 20X0's, is that they really just ape what they're remaking without understanding what they were.

I thought it was dumb as hell that some dogs can run through zombies without being eaten.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
What is everyone's favorite horror anthology segments?

For me I'd go with:

The Raft from Creepshow 2
Tuesday the 17th from V/H/S
Safe Haven from V/H/S 2
The Crate from Creepshow
The Way In from Southbound
KKK-Comuppance from Tales from the Hood

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OldTennisCourt posted:

For me I'd go with:

Safe Haven from V/H/S 2
The Crate from Creepshow

The Abominable Snow-Man of Mexico City from The ABCs of Death was super-cute

I also liked the birthday segment in XX

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

For me I'd go with:

Safe Haven from V/H/S 2
The Crate from Creepshow

Basically my list as well, but I would add in "The Sick Thing that Happened to Emily When She was Younger" from V/H/S

One popular one that I always hated was Lover's Vow from Tales of the Darkside. It feels like a plot reverse engineered from the twist and really falls apart if you think about it for more than 2 minutes

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Easy Diff posted:

The Abominable Snow-Man of Mexico City from The ABCs of Death was super-cute

I also liked the birthday segment in XX

oh poo poo I forgot ABCs of Death

U is for Unearthed
A is for Amateur
D is for Deloused
W is for Wish
K is for Knell

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Poetic Justice from Tales From the Crypt
Blind Alley, also from Tales From the Crypt

there are some good ones from the various Amicus anthologies but those two are my favorites I think

e: A Drop of Water from Black Sabbath

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 10, 2019

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I won't go over ones already listed

Hair from Body Bags is one I've always enjoyed a lot.

Bobo from Terror Tract is pretty sweet too. Bryan Cranston vs a killer monkey.

Actually the end of Terror Tract is also bonkers. So Watch that too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
One that may not be mentioned because of how interconnected Trick R Treat is would be the Halloween Schoolbus Massacre segment. I looove the atmosphere going on in those scenes and they're what I most look forward to when I watch the movie every year.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

SecretOfSteel posted:

it was the same scenario just with all the original context stripped away, and it felt like they didn't understand what they were remaking...

Iron Crowned posted:

I think that is a problem I have with remakes from the 20X0's, is that they really just ape what they're remaking without understanding what they were.

Maybe they understood it, but the context of their movie is different.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

One that may not be mentioned because of how interconnected Trick R Treat is would be the Halloween Schoolbus Massacre segment. I looove the atmosphere going on in those scenes and they're what I most look forward to when I watch the movie every year.

:same:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

OldTennisCourt posted:

For me I'd go with:

Safe Haven from V/H/S 2
The Crate from Creepshow

Something to Tide You Over from Creepshow

It's stuck with me since I was young more than any of the other segments. As an adult Nielsen is a joy to his last line, but the way he's essentially working torture into his murder helps prevent his happy-go-lucky demeanor from undermining the fear of slowly drowning to death.

Murderdad from Trick'r'Treat, which I don't have any words about. I just like it a lot

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

All this talk of horror anthologies reminds me to go get a copy of Kwaidan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

All this talk of horror anthologies reminds me to go get a copy of Kwaidan

A Japanese Horror RPG