Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
They way they describe the Shrek movies makes them sound like the "Teen Movie/Superhero Movie/Scary Movie/" Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer parodies, but somehow even lazier. Like, they don't even parody have the stuff, it's just "here's a reference."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tato posted:

They way they describe the Shrek movies makes them sound like the "Teen Movie/Superhero Movie/Scary Movie/" Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer parodies, but somehow even lazier. Like, they don't even parody have the stuff, it's just "here's a reference."

I think you may be misremembering exactly how lazy those 'parody' movies were. Because while Shrek bad those movies are largely just entire scenes stitched together almost at random from other movies.

Like Shrek at least had a plot they could talk about and have an episode on. I don't think you could do that with any of the Friedberg and Seltzer ones except maaaaaybe Scary Movie 1/2.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Date Movie #RLM2020

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Eric is the guest on the Talking Simpsons podcast this week, it'll be interesting to see how his style meshes there.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tato posted:

I always feel like Shrek basically opened the doors to that style of "movie", even though Scary Movie came out a year earlier. Probably because Shrek was more successful and had a much bigger pop-culture impact.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The first Shrek didn’t have that many references. Then you get to the second and it just shits out pop culture references that date it badly. One of them has a bit about American Idol with Simon and holy poo poo it adds nothing and isn’t even that funny.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I wonder how many people are tweeting at the WHM crew that not only is Shrek getting rebooted but it's being done by the studio that did Minions.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

AceOfFlames posted:

I wonder how many people are tweeting at the WHM crew that not only is Shrek getting rebooted but it's being done by the studio that did Minions.

Probably nobody you should tweet it at them to be sure

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Invalid Validation posted:

The first Shrek didn’t have that many references. Then you get to the second and it just shits out pop culture references that date it badly. One of them has a bit about American Idol with Simon and holy poo poo it adds nothing and isn’t even that funny.

Yeah the third goes even more insane with the pop culture stuff.

Then the fourth pulls back a bit and tries to have a lovely midlife crisis movie fused with Its a Wonderful Life.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Don't just stare at it, Donkey. EAT IT

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
You're telling me that there are 4 Shreks?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

You're telling me that there are 4 Shreks?

OK, so there actually 5 Shreks: Master Shrek, Terra-Shrek, Young Shrek, Ogre and Grexo. By "Shreking" various people, Shrek aims to create the 13 Seekers of Mud, pit them against the 7 Princesses of Cleanliness, which in turn will create the S-Blade and open Kingdom Swamps.

It's quite simple if you think about it.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 11, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

AceOfFlames posted:

Really? The fans must be ogre the moon!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

General Dog posted:

Really? The fans must be ogre the moon!

What a hot and powerful ogreload

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Calaveron posted:

What a hot and powerful ogreload

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I saw Shrek 2 once or twice.

The PS2 game was a lot of fun, weirdly enough

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

The Friedberg and Seltzer parodies were way lazier than shrek, it got to the point where the parodies just referenced scenes from the trailers of the movies they were spoofing coupled with a loving reference to youtube videos at one point.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Elderbean posted:

The Friedberg and Seltzer parodies were way lazier than shrek, it got to the point where the parodies just referenced scenes from the trailers of the movies they were spoofing coupled with a loving reference to youtube videos at one point.

Meet the Spartans was on in the background of a party I went to in high school and the only part I remember seeing was when the fat guy from Borat turned into a Transformer that began to play the "leave Britney alone" video on his robo-chest. christ.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
South Park joked that Family Guy wrote their "comedy" via a narwhal randomly selecting words and then mashing the nonsense together.

For Friedman and the other guy, that was a Eureka! level inspiration.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They knew most of the audience only knew other movies from the trailers anyway. It’s going to be interesting to watch them again in 20 years after all the references are forgotten. There are some movies from the 70s like that, mostly ripping off Kentucky Fried Movie. Groove Tube is one that baffled the poo poo out of me about 30% of the time.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Guess not all movies have to be timeless.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Whoolighams posted:

Meet the Spartans was on in the background of a party I went to in high school and the only part I remember seeing was when the fat guy from Borat turned into a Transformer that began to play the "leave Britney alone" video on his robo-chest. christ.

Jesus christ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkInPAWjtPg

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

...this was in theaters.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

thrawn527 posted:

...this was in theaters.

It made 85 million dollars.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is that actually Azamat?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

...this was in theaters.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It made 85 million dollars.

Wikipedia posted:

The film opens with a Spartan elder inspecting three babies. The first, an ugly, talking baby ogre (Shrek the Third), is abandoned to die for its deformity; while the second, who is Vietnamese, is adopted by Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie.
Imagine being the type of person who'd find this funny. Imagine what their lives must be like.

e:

quote:

At the Battle of Thermopylae, the Persians introduce their secret weapons, Ghost Rider and Rocky Balboa, who kills Sonio with a decapitating uppercut. Captain avenges him with Botox poisoning before being struck down by Xerxes. Leonidas pursues Xerxes and plays Grand Theft Auto:San Andreas.
On top of that, that clip Tato posted is basically the end of the movie.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 12, 2019

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Gleep Glossary is out!

:420: I'm an ecological priest

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I saw Shrek 2 once or twice.

The PS2 game was a lot of fun, weirdly enough

There is a Power Stone-esque Shrek fighting game that is actually super deep and technical and has a thriving underground tourney scene.

Violator
May 15, 2003

SkeletonHero posted:

There is a Power Stone-esque Shrek fighting game that is actually super deep and technical and has a thriving underground tourney scene.

Dang, you weren't joking:

https://sports.vice.com/en_ca/article/qky3ax/how-the-internet-accidentally-made-shrek-superslam-into-an-esport

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SPACE ACTING

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

https://twitter.com/Dbrasco37/status/1116774998557872128

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What was the relatively recent episode where Andrew makes fun of Steve for being short and Steve, with all the dignity and poise a person who knows he has been short his entire life and is completely OK with being short replies with something like, congratulations, you're four inches taller than me

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Evil Mastermind posted:

Imagine being the type of person who'd find this funny. Imagine what their lives must be like.

e:

On top of that, that clip Tato posted is basically the end of the movie.

When the events of the movie are just flatly listed like that, it sounds like a Buñuel-esque surrealist film.

edit: also Tiffany Haddish is included in the cast list and credited as "Urban Girl"

General Dog fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 15, 2019

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Diedrich Bader deserved better

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CTRL+ALT+DILDO

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I hate it when they say what the Patreon episode for the month is when they haven't released it yet :argh:

Don't tease me like that guys

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Live Free or Die Hard is a pretty lackluster lovely movie, but I'll defend the Kevin Smith scene for a couple of reasons. One is he's not yet another skinny sexy hacker, which movies love to give us. Second, the (yes clunky) exposition drop was because they had yet to actually explain Gabriel's character at all. Bruce Willis and Len Wiseman had been fighting on set constantly, and had been putting off and putting off setting up Gabriel, and Willis just lost his poo poo, causing Smith to suggest rewriting the scene on the spot to lay it out and then they can move the gently caress on with the movie. The original version of the scene was nothing but jokes, going into the 3rd act. It was a real attempt to fix it, even if it only half worked.

Granted, this is all according to Smith himself, and he tends to embellish for comedy's sake in his stories, but it makes sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui4Z1h7PG5s

But yeah, it's a pretty bad movie, though no where near as bad as Die Hard 5. I think may be better than Die Hard 2, but I haven't watched that movie in decades. I just remember finding it an unpleasant movie.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 16, 2019

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

Live Free or Die Hard is a pretty lackluster lovely movie, but I'll defend the Kevin Smith scene for a couple of reasons. One is he's not yet another skinny sexy hacker, which movies love to give us. Second, the (yes clunky) exposition drop was because they had yet to actually explain Gabriel's character at all. Bruce Willis and Len Wiseman had been fighting on set constantly, and had been putting off and putting off setting up Gabriel, and Willis just lost his poo poo, causing Smith to suggest rewriting the scene on the spot to lay it out and then they can move the gently caress on with the movie. The original version of the scene was nothing but jokes, going into the 3rd act. It was a real attempt to fix it, even if it only half worked.

Granted, this is all according to Smith himself, and he tends to embellish for comedy's sake in his stories, but it makes sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui4Z1h7PG5s

But yeah, it's a pretty bad movie, though no where near as bad as Die Hard 5. I think may be better than Die Hard 2, but I haven't watched that movie in decades. I just remember finding it an unpleasant movie.

While I agree it’s not nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Die Hard 4 makes Die Hard 2 the third best one now

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The Gillman posted:

While I agree it’s not nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Die Hard 4 makes Die Hard 2 the third best one now

Wait, are you saying Die Hard 4 coming out has pushed Die Hard 2 to the third best one? Meaning it would be above Die Hard 2? I'm confused by your phrasing.

Because it sounds like you're saying both are better than either Die Hard 1 or 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I don’t know why, but Eric’s complete deadpan “that’s kinda stupid” at hearing the origin of Freakazoid made me laugh pretty hard