Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/IndyCaronNBC/status/1115298257369030656

This...rules.

Brings back memories of the 02 CART race tease for Fontana.

If I had the ability...would be fun to make into a full length video with Mario, Al Jr., and Zanardi's wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

gret posted:

Any race that Sato wins is by definition a good race.

:emptyquote:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/AutoRacing1/status/1115421578966261761

F1 but still..goddamn.

Think that eliminates us ever reviving an Indy/IMSA race ever again due to these cretins.

Flipside? Let's sell Homestead on an Indy/IMSA double bill :getin:

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Meh.

That's basically what happens to every city that hosts the Super Bowl. They don't just play a game in a stadium and leave, they build a little "Super Bowl Village" and take over a not insignificant portion of the streets nearby, and often demand the city pay for renovations and such in the vicinity. I remember here in Indianapolis the police chief made a deal as well to have SPECIAL EDITION Super Bowl badges made for all the downtown cops, which they could only wear for the duration of the event of course, and the local pigs were pissed as gently caress when they found out they had to pay for them out of their own pocket to the tune of $100+ or so each, and were required to do so as part of their uniform for the event.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Reynold posted:

Meh.

That's basically what happens to every city that hosts the Super Bowl. They don't just play a game in a stadium and leave, they build a little "Super Bowl Village" and take over a not insignificant portion of the streets nearby, and often demand the city pay for renovations and such in the vicinity. I remember here in Indianapolis the police chief made a deal as well to have SPECIAL EDITION Super Bowl badges made for all the downtown cops, which they could only wear for the duration of the event of course, and the local pigs were pissed as gently caress when they found out they had to pay for them out of their own pocket to the tune of $100+ or so each, and were required to do so as part of their uniform for the event.

See also: The Olympics, which can bankrupt entire countries.

Atlanta is the exception, not the rule, in that they had plans for EVERYTHING after the games were over. The main stadium? Braves moved in. The building the athletes stayed in? Georgia Tech dorms.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

iospace posted:

Atlanta is the exception, not the rule, in that they had plans for EVERYTHING after the games were over. The main stadium? Braves moved in. The building the athletes stayed in? Georgia Tech dorms.

Sydney also did pretty well and had plans for most of the olympic venues.
Rio, Athens and Beijing tho, not so much.

As far as the opposition's claims:
The race track area shouldn't be shut for 4 months, it shouldn't close that much more than the race track itself and jet engine levels of noise shouldn't cause any property damage.
Having said that, I'm not from Miami so take it as you will.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

lol if it takes four months to build a street course. Are they including the time it takes to repave their lovely goddamn roads in that assessment? It takes F1 nine weeks to set up and tear down at Monaco, and I can only assume that's a well-oiled machine at this point, but double the time for the first event might not be too far off the mark I suppose.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Reynold posted:

Meh.

I don't (but I do) understand why that particular series doesn't do something like throw money at a venue like Willow Springs to make it Grade 1 (for an LA race) or just race the Indy GP circuit if they're wanting more :911: races.

It's absolute BITCH to get a street race in 2019. The only ones that really don't give IndyCar fits are Long Beach, Toronto and St. Pete. I imagine for the latter? If some shithead nimby's tried to do it, local business owners would throw a fit and run them out of town.

Even Belle Isle has morons that tried (and failed) to get that race taken away.

iospace posted:

Los Angeles 1984 as well IIRC.

Salt Lake City was a mess but they found a way to turn that around.

This is not to sound mean but I really feel only economically devoloped nations should host the olympics in the short term. It just is not ethical to put that strain on say, Brazil or Greece IMO.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Greece and Brazil are terrible examples of this.
Greece is in the EU and in theory is a relatively developed nation in the EU. Brazil was viewed as a highly developed developing nation with the potential to be a genuine world player. Tourism is and was a big deal for Greece and Brazil and a big event designed to shine a spotlight on your nation that almost nothing else can match (or steal the spotlight from) is going to be a not terrible idea. Maybe make businesses pay for the Olympics, sure, but lets not pretend we're talking about Mongolia and Slovenia here - Greece and Brazil's Olympic failings are mostly... specific to them at this time. China also struggled to find things to do with it's Olympic venues and we're talking about loving China here.

Back on road tracks, I can absolutely see why Miami's opposition might want to kill the race; Albert Park raises opposition every time it comes around (and every time the state government announces they're looking at extending it). I guess the real question is how used is the area that's gonna be converted into the track. The stretch of Albert Park I'm familiar with is a side road that helps you avoid traffic if you're trying to get into the city - shutting it down isn't a huge loss, but I know a bunch of people go jogging through the park around the lake.
I know that with Australia it's a state government thing and by and large if they want to run a racing event they are running the event and gently caress the NIMBYs. Melbourne is a bit weird in that it generally turns up for events like the F1 despite having no shortage of big, "important", events that draw crowds - hence why the local state government is happy to keep springing the cash to keep the F1 and why F1 is happy to keep coming despite... the "tyranny of distance" (and the shittiness of the track). The Gold Coast is an uber popular tourist destination for Australians (particularly in the winter, as Queensland doesn't have one while Victoria and NSW pretend to) and Queensland is desperate for more events to showcase itself on a global stage and it will absolutely pay a premium to get them.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://racer.com/2019/04/09/oward-lands-gess-backing-for-long-beach/

im sure nothing at all happened behind the scenes here. nothing at all.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Discord Postin' (thanks Windy)
https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1115667579664850945
:smith:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

People make a big deal but this is par for the course with the history of the sport.

Rating for non-Indy events have always sucked.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It would have been nice to have seen a 0.4 or a 0.5.

More Twitters
https://twitter.com/McLarenIndy/status/1115650446323081217
https://twitter.com/12WillPower/status/1115640613528121344
https://twitter.com/marshallpruett/status/1115660337653604352

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Bentai posted:

Well I don't disagree. Hell my hope would be someday we get to the point where the Indy 500 is front page in many newspapers across the country, on the cover of Si, etc. (I know..outdated but you're getting the gist of the level of attention really. There's an old WNBC radio aircheck in 1977 for example that discusses Foyt winning at Indy and Petty at Charlotte...that sort of level)

The only reality where we're discussing decent TV ratings for IndyCar would be if USAC wasn't ran by incompetent management post-1971. That's where they lost any chance of it really being discussed here.

This is not..a damnation of the CART model btw. In fact without those guys? We're probably discussing some sort of NASCAR sanctioned version of IndyCar at this moment, but it is what it is.

Nobody is going to go out of their way to turn on a road course race though. They'll attend it (en masse with numbers being bumped up by being default company picnics), but it's not "must see tv" for many people nor was it even like that when I was a kid during the PPG and FedEx Series era.

Sport is very much carried by the Indianapolis 500 IMO. Everything else is bonus or exists to market that race.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bentai posted:

Unless you’re an exec with IndyCar or NBC it’s not worth fretting over the broadcast numbers. It’s not the right place to look for examples of broadening exposure.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/jack_harvey42/status/1115758105986342912

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1115757457417166848

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

FuzzySkinner posted:

Sport is very much carried by the Indianapolis 500 IMO. Everything else is bonus or exists to market that race.

Very true, I fear that within my lifetime ICS will shrink more and more until it's just the 500

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
:siren:

https://twitter.com/jimayello/status/1115781712351510528

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

that tease

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Alonso fulltime is reaching third manufacturer status. Just a bunch of teases and “real soon now” news bites.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Bentai posted:

Alonso fulltime is reaching third manufacturer status. Just a bunch of teases and “real soon now” news bites.

Yeah, it's at the point of who even cares anymore. It's just going to turn into the lamest outcomes:

Third manufacturer turns out to be just rebranded Honda engines as Acura.

Alonso never commits to anything beyond the 500.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

If Fernando Alonso runs a full entire race not skipping anything schedule in the NTT indycar series I'll eat a hat.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

dentist toy box posted:

If Fernando Alonso runs a full entire race not skipping anything schedule in the NTT indycar series I'll eat a hat.

It has to be a Kimoa hat.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

Unless you’re an exec with IndyCar or NBC it’s not worth fretting over the broadcast numbers. It’s not the right place to look for examples of broadening exposure.

The people that obsess over them are 3 types
-Crapwagon/Smackedforum types "HAHAHA...THE HITS KEEP COMING. LOOKIT ALL DEM GOMERS. FTG!"
-Trackforum types "This is worrying...Well you know Auto Racing isn't as popular with the youngsters" ["Spike" then comes in and corrects someones grammar]
- Jenna Fryer "See this is why they need to run at a different time then the NASCAR race. This is why they need to run the same track as the same weekend as NASCAR, This is why the IndyCar Series should just be NASCAR"

I don't know, if the sport was reeling/unhealthy? We'd be hearing different sort of rumblings right now instead of:
-"Third manufacturer to join Indy?!"
-"Alonso to run season full time?"
-"Steinbrenner Family set to own IndyCar team. As are Dragon, Shank, Scuderia Corsa"
-"IndyCar in talks for races with Australia/Surfers Paradise"

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Wirth1000 posted:

Yeah, it's at the point of who even cares anymore. It's just going to turn into the lamest outcomes:

Third manufacturer turns out to be just rebranded Honda engines as Acura.

Alonso never commits to anything beyond the 500.

BMW and Toyota have been tossed around as #3.

I really don’t care if McLaren or Alonso ever shows up.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

There's the 3rd engine manufacturer.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Frond posted:

BMW and Toyota have been tossed around as #3.

I really don’t care if McLaren or Alonso ever shows up.

Peugeot is coming back to North America and they've even accelerated plans to start selling cars again by 2021. I mean, IndyCar would be relatively cheap and easy initial entry compared to other series.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

The people that obsess over them are 3 types

The only other fans I know of who obsess as much over TV ratings are rasslin’ fans.

All that news is good news. It’s positive, and points at a strong series right now. That’ll weather a race on cable having a low rating.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

The only other fans I know of who obsess as much over TV ratings are rasslin’ fans.

All that news is good news. It’s positive, and points at a strong series right now. That’ll weather a race on cable having a low rating.

It's just not an accurate way of measuring things.

People don't want to admit that to themselves but NASCAR, IMSA, Indy and F1 really were not treated in the same way as their "stick and ball counterparts". During the USAC days? You'd get the 500 on "Same day tape delay", An occasional showing on ABC's "Wide World of Sports" (wedged between horse racing, log rolling...whatever) and Bud Lindeman showing highlights during "Road and Track" on CBS.

It's insanely recent compared to other sports that Auto Racing is receiving the sort of coverage it's getting. Really took about from 1979-1981 for that to happen.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Wirth1000 posted:

It has to be a Kimoa hat.

If Alonso runs a full 100 percent season in the NTT indycar series I'll buy something from Kimona, if I don't ban me. :toxx:

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

Peugeot is coming back to North America and they've even accelerated plans to start selling cars again by 2021. I mean, IndyCar would be relatively cheap and easy initial entry compared to other series.

I don't think Peugeot even make a V6; they only have two vaguely sporty cars in the 308 and 208 GTis at the moment.

Bentai posted:

It's not out of the realm of possibility. His F1 career is functionally over - he probably doesn't want to drive for 7th or 8th place and he's unlikely to get a drive that's competitive for more (even 7th or 8th is likely to be a tall order) so that's out. A full season of WEC is looking like 6 or 7 races after The #SuperSeason, and is also suffering dwindling interest. You start to talk about NASCAR, Indy and IMSA and of the three, Indy is probably the most enticing to him.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I don't think Alonso gives the slightest gently caress about the Indycar series, he just wants his triple crown. I'm open to being proven wrong by him, but that's just what it looks like to me.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alonso wants another championship and IndyCar is by far the most prestigious series in which he has a realistic chance of doing so. He's probably going to win the WEC title this year but no one will care.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Big Huski Boi posted:

Alonso wants another championship and IndyCar is by far the most prestigious series in which he has a realistic chance of doing so. He's probably going to win the WEC title this year but no one will care.

I'd honestly place WEC and Indy at the same level. They both are arguably a tier lower than F1 on the international stage, and both series are overshadowed by their main race.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

run arca alonso you coward

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
The Monaco Grand Prix, The 24 Hours of Le Mans, The Lucas Oil 200 Driven by General Tire.

The Triple Crown of Auto Racing

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

iospace posted:

I'd honestly place WEC and Indy at the same level. They both are arguably a tier lower than F1 on the international stage, and both series are overshadowed by their main race.

But it's also true that you probably can't win the main race unless you're involved with the series.

In the case of the WEC it's because the P1 cars (the only cars that could ever win overall) are tied in with the manufacturers which are also tied into the series. Doubly so for the superseason.

In the case with Indycar, though it's possible for a one-off entry to still win, you have better odds if you either partner with a team that's experience or gain that experience yourself. And getting it yourself often means committing to a full season.

Alonso wanted to win Le Mans badly enough to be OK committing to a full WEC season. Who's to say he won't want to win Indy badly enough to commit to a full Indycar season, especially if there's a fun factor involved?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/FollowHSRacing/status/1116060201667313664

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

thassa good livery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

WindyMan posted:

In the case of the WEC it's because the P1 cars (the only cars that could ever win overall) are tied in with the manufacturers which are also tied into the series. Doubly so for the superseason.

Alonso wanted to win Le Mans badly enough to be OK committing to a full WEC season. Who's to say he won't want to win Indy badly enough to commit to a full Indycar season, especially if there's a fun factor involved?

You literally can't enter Le Mans with a P1 unless you are doing a full WEC season, by the rules. That's why Ginetta isn't going to be at Le Mans this year. They're a full season entrant but never did any of the races other than last year's Le Mans, due to team level funding issues.