Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Pharnakes posted:

is there a way to make more text lines in the log so you don't constantly have to mash spacebar?

show_more=false
in your rc

May I also recommend these for your rc:

tile_web_mouse_control = false
(TURN THIS SETTING TO FALSE NOW RIGHT NOW)

show_travel_trail = true
travel_delay = -1
(with this you don't watch your character autoexplore, which really speeds the game up)

confirm_butcher = never
auto_eat_chunks = true
(speeds up eating)

autofight_stop = 70
(stop tabbing if you are below 70% hits)

# If true. items are autofired stopping at the monsters feet (same as firing using .)
autofight_fire_stop = true

redneck nazgul posted:

I would throw that on in a heartbeat if I was doing extended on a Vine Stalker of Gozag. Torment is one of the few things that can actually threaten a well geared character and removing that makes Pan/Hell/Tomb/Zigs much more tolerable.

I guess so, i dunno, that's -40% hits as a Vs. I did get this in a shop on D4 (gozag reasons) which softens the blow a bit:
pre:
b - the +8 hand crossbow of Elessypyr {speed, rElec Int+4 Dex+5 Stlth-}. 
Not a bad ranged weapon for a spriggan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

redneck nazgul posted:

I would throw that on in a heartbeat if I was doing extended on a Vine Stalker of Gozag. Torment is one of the few things that can actually threaten a well geared character and removing that makes Pan/Hell/Tomb/Zigs much more tolerable.

Being able to clear Tomb 3 without spending upwards of 30000 gold in potions would be nice.

Yeah, the mistake is conflating 'someone in their right mind' and 'doing extended'. I didn't even know there WAS a fixedart at any point that negated torment. If it also negates the mummy curse torment-like effects (which I suspect it would, given I think those effects are functionally identical to torment in most respects), then I would absolutely wear that crown on pretty much any Extended character. If you're raiding mega-zigs and wasting thousands of turns in Pan and the Abyss in Gooncrawl anyways you can even afford to scrum together some benemut to get a pip of health mutation and then the downside doesn't even really matter. Even if you're just 15-runing, holy hell, torment is the single largest source of late-game burst damage, and that artifact would make Tomb a loving breeze by comparison.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I've used that thing before and it makes extended a joke, shows just how poor the extended content is when unavoidable massive %hp shred is the only reliably dangerous thing there, ignoring outliers like hellion island. Doesn't stop extended from being boring, though.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Araganzar posted:

Wow struggled through 8 XL levels raising Armor as a Spriggan Archaelogist and this is my prize:

Fixedart with -20% max hit points. This would be such a cool artefact otherwise. Major cool. But no one in their right mind is ever going to use it, even on a high HP race.

edit: Actually, it takes my hits from 37 to 29. I guess they decided to make it additive just to screw -HP races even harder?

How many Bothans died to bring back the Crown and you have the gall to disparage it?

You've got some nerve, punk.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What is the best melee weapon class? I've been playing with polearms because of reaching but are maces better for reduced xp cost? Assuming a full melee character/tank

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Araganzar posted:

Wow struggled through 8 XL levels raising Armor as a Spriggan Archaelogist and this is my prize:

Fixedart with -20% max hit points. This would be such a cool artefact otherwise. Major cool. But no one in their right mind is ever going to use it, even on a high HP race.

edit: Actually, it takes my hits from 37 to 29. I guess they decided to make it additive just to screw -HP races even harder?

No, 29/37 is 80% exactly, it's just rounded down. It's an artifact designed for the extended game, much like the Orange CPM. Not every char can (or should!) use every fixedart to its fullest, but the crown is very strong at what it does. Maybe don't wear it while still in Lair?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

What is the best melee weapon class? I've been playing with polearms because of reaching but are maces better for reduced xp cost? Assuming a full melee character/tank

It’s axes for 2handers, generally. Cleave is absurdly good.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

icantfindaname posted:

Aptitudes change on races. You're possibly seeing a +4 apt bonus to crosstraining maces since you have a lot of points in polearms?

Depends 100% on race, personal pref, and build. Many melee bruisers prefer axes, since their cleave can dig you out of a hole if you get caught out. They also are much easier to find higher tiers of, with orcs often carrying battleaxes, which is no small boon. Long swords do the most dmg, but are tricky to find bigger ones and have a dodging synergy you might not use. Maces have many solid 1h variants, the 2h stuff falls off unless you're an ogre. Polearms are outstanding if you're able to exploit the 2-range attack; either using summons as a meatshield or being able to kite backwards since you're fast (tedious). They also are easier to find thanks to gnoll packs.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Araganzar posted:

I 15 runed twice with ogres thanks to that Crown and was the main agitator to bringing it back.

Araganzar posted:

But no one in their right mind is ever going to use it
Oh

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Serephina posted:

Aptitudes change on races. You're possibly seeing a +4 apt bonus to crosstraining maces since you have a lot of points in polearms?

I think they're talking about the fact that min delay on exec axes and bardiche is at level 26, but level 20 for great mace

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Unless you are Trolling (and Ogreing), in which case you have Giant Spiked Clubs that max out at level 26 24. :v:

EDIT: Whoops, wrong number

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 9, 2019

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
Trolls already come with the best weapon in the game built-in so it's only ogres that'd worry about that. A whole weapon type just for one species seems really dumb, just like bardings.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

That was :thejoke:

Anyway, Long Blades are the one weapon class that maxes out the earliest of the three on average (triple swords are so rare!), excluding Short Blades from the discussion due to their niche aimed at stabbing than being a main method for maiming minions. And Staves because it's lajatangs or bust and good luck finding one without Oka/Trog!

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

World Famous W posted:

I 15 runed twice with ogres thanks to that Crown and was the main agitator to bringing it back.

Sorry, I thought I'd said except with a high HP race, I didn't mean to cause such consternation. It's a perfectly fine ogur hat. I have amulet of vitality and can't get rn+ with rf++ so it might go on my head for Zot, although doing the vault with around 100 hits is not my idea of swell.

It feels like my spriggan is really chewing through the food. Like I've kept my spells mostly hungerless and I've had to buy rations twice. Maybe it's that I'm getting less nutrition per ration and always having regen up when healing thanks to permabuffs?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Holy crap, yes regen eats through your food like nuts you should turn it off.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Serephina posted:

Holy crap, yes regen eats through your food like nuts you should turn it off.

I didn't think hunger was a thing anymore except as casting costs/game timer.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

FulsomFrank posted:

I didn't think hunger was a thing anymore except as casting costs/game timer.

Well you only have increased hunger from regen when you are below max hp but it adds up as a spriggan. Other than that if you're a mage, you're having to use your highest level spells, you have low spellcasting, and poor luck, you might worry about food. Or if you are a serial berserker.

Hasn't really been as issue in this game but generally I don't run regen as Sp and I try to keep any spells hungerless as well. But regen is really strong in the game right now. I went Gozag so I'd have food shops and since I can't get nutrition from corpses anyway.

also check out this sweet spriggan weapon I got for Slime and Zot:
pre:
the +10 scimitar of the Firefly (weapon) {speed, +Rage rC+ rN+ Int+4}

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I have a Gooncrawl run where I'm carving my way through extended as a Vine Stalker with the Gong Shield and Singing Sword. 3/4 Hell branches are cleared.

I cannot wait to see how nasty Tomb's death curses are going to be when the entire level is both pissed and dying to the sonic wave effect.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Has anyone here ever tried to actually compile Gooncrawl in Visual Studio and managed to figure out how to make it work?

It's works fine inside its VM and all, but it makes me feel stupid every time I run it. I know I got it all work for Trunk once, years and years ago, but I just can't remember how. It can't have been that loving hard.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Has anyone here ever tried to actually compile Gooncrawl in Visual Studio and managed to figure out how to make it work?

It's works fine inside its VM and all, but it makes me feel stupid every time I run it. I know I got it all work for Trunk once, years and years ago, but I just can't remember how. It can't have been that loving hard.

I have never gotten the Visual Studio build working, or I would be using that over Notepad++ and MSYS2.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
This seems weird, Louise was feared and she still abyss:3'd me. I got out because I'm a total boss but I read fear and was abyssed before I could act. Is it possible she was feared and then recovered from fear in the same turn? Or energy randomization? She still had the ! for fear over her head.
pre:
Louise looks frightened!
 The alligator looks frightened! The swamp worm looks frightened!
 Louise gestures at you while chanting.
 You are cast into the Abyss!
edit: also I just saw Poision Mushroom on Vaults:5 in Tomb with +9 holy and +10 vorpal exec axes teleportitis so I think it's safe to say another win splat might be on the way there...

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 10, 2019

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I'm a skeleton archaeologist and found the Sword of Power in my crate. It has a +0 enchantment and gives 20 HP. Seems kinda mediocre?

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I'm a skeleton archaeologist and found the Sword of Power in my crate. It has a +0 enchantment and gives 20 HP. Seems kinda mediocre?

Nevermind. It's enchantment changes when I equip it, and 20 health on a Skeleton is huge.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

It will eventually reach +20 when you have 200+ HP. It's an interesting weapon.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I'd like to echo the earlier sentiment that Megabyss has somehow hosed up rune generation. I spent over an hour on A5 trying to avoid doing the final floor of vaults with a stabber. No rune. Found a one-way portal to Zot almost immediately, though.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I splatted my Vine Stalker Noise Knight on floor 25 of my second ziggurat.

Hubris in a Tartarus-themed floor with seven silent spectres. :smith:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

redneck nazgul posted:

I splatted my Vine Stalker Noise Knight on floor 25 of my second ziggurat.

Hubris in a Tartarus-themed floor with seven silent spectres. :smith:

Having beaten my head on this puzzle a few times, I don't know if there's a truly Zig-proof loadout; Mummy floors, spider floors, and as you've seen, undead/hell/pan floors can always potentially generate some combination of units that you just plain need at least a little luck in overcoming, and the problem becomes more severe the deeper you go into further zigs.

Amusingly, stealth is actually an incredibly powerful trait for clearing high-level zigs, since it lets you better dictate the terms of the engagement and potentially rest up in the middle of clearing floors once they're full of multiple screens worth of units.

E: This is also why Zig-diving loadouts should have a powerful non-magical removal tool for silence units. Javelins of penetration are a general go-to, but some unrandarts can also fill the role, and wands of clouds can sometimes help in a pinch, but aren't as reliable.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 10, 2019

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think what's happening with abyss isn't rune chance per se but it feels like more pre baked vaults are being included which might be lowering the chance of a rune spawn simply by being less random tiles that could be the rune. Or that's the only trend I've noticed, in that I'm seeing a lot more recognizable prebuilts.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Having beaten my head on this puzzle a few times, I don't know if there's a truly Zig-proof loadout;

Oh but there is.

Scaramouche posted:

I think what's happening with abyss isn't rune chance per se but it feels like more pre baked vaults are being included which might be lowering the chance of a rune spawn simply by being less random tiles that could be the rune. Or that's the only trend I've noticed, in that I'm seeing a lot more recognizable prebuilts.

Abyss rune spawn works via item generation, not random tiles. When an item is generated on A:3 like the scrolls and gold you pick up in the abyss, there is a 1 in 20 chance it is a rune if there is not already a rune vault on the level; if so it drops the rune and generates the vault. This is increased to 1 in 10 on A:4 and almost 1 in 4 on A:5.

pre:
// Returns the roll to use to check if we want to create an abyssal rune.
static int _abyssal_rune_roll()
{
    if (you.runes[RUNE_ABYSSAL] || you.depth < ABYSSAL_RUNE_MIN_LEVEL)
        return -1;
    const bool god_favoured = have_passive(passive_t::attract_abyssal_rune);

const double depth = you.depth + god_favoured;

return (int) pow(100.0, depth/(1 + brdepth[BRANCH_ABYSS]));
}
What I suspect here is that brdepth[BRANCH_ABYSS] returns 27 for goon crawl and therefore is dividing by 27 instead of 5 to get the chance to generate the rune. This not only means you have a poo poo chance on A:3, it also means your chance is doesn't double going to A:4 then more than double going to A:5, it barely goes up.

edit: looking further - not only that, but every few teleports the level resets and if you haven't found the rune vault by then it goes away. So most of the time you are wandering the abyss with no chance of finding a rune vault where in a normal game at A:5 you'd almost constantly have one out there.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 10, 2019

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Having beaten my head on this puzzle a few times, I don't know if there's a truly Zig-proof loadout; Mummy floors, spider floors, and as you've seen, undead/hell/pan floors can always potentially generate some combination of units that you just plain need at least a little luck in overcoming, and the problem becomes more severe the deeper you go into further zigs.

Multiple areas of silence OR sustained terrible RNG where Gozag refuses to offer heal wounds without berserk are the only things that would kill that character.

Gozag is currently way stronger than old school Nemelex/Pakellas. He breaks the concept of limited resources.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Okay, fair, I had forgotten that Demonspawn could be Demonspawn and pre-nerf Gozag exists (post-nerf is still powerful, but I would no longer describe it as 'bulletproof' unless you've also already got your zig gear close to optimized). It does require some good DS rolls, at least, and even that character apparently almost died at least once after the Gozag change.

Nothing short of absolutely abominably terrible luck would stop that character. A terrible floating-eye roll for max-timer paralysis (which itself would require something like an especially buff Pan lord with eyespam getting a double move first), followed by damnation spam and/or corrosion spam, that I could see happening, maybe, but man that would require everything aligning just so, and it requires several wildly improbable conditions to be met all at once (first all the rolls that lead to the lucky eye paralysis, then everything else having relevant damage output or summons to actually take advantage of the situation, all while overcoming passive Gozag stunning). E: And I'm reasonably confident it would have to be Pan Lord flavored, slimes very clearly didn't have the damage output to seal the deal before the guaranteed turn(s) of resistance to further paralysis allowed them to act.

E2: Oh, and this was also done back when decks of cards could be found and ID'd for your next draw, I guess. Not having that might be problematic; they contained several of the game's most powerful escape tools. I guess you could still scum Nemelex for hundreds of decks and then pray for the right draws while using a different god, but that's...really not as good.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 10, 2019

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I feel like Nem is never the right choice.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Bogart posted:

I feel like Nem is never the right choice.

Nem is the 'believe in the heart of the cards' choice, so YMMV. It's almost a shame that a lot of Nemelex's weirdness was excised, they've pretty strictly become the evocations God instead of being part of the corral of fun-haver Gods alongside Jiyva and Xom.

Once upon a time Nem was actually the slow path to unlimited power, but that's more or less Gozag now I guess.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Araganzar posted:

Oh but there is.

Abyss rune spawn works via item generation, not random tiles. When an item is generated on A:3 like the scrolls and gold you pick up in the abyss, there is a 1 in 20 chance it is a rune if there is not already a rune vault on the level; if so it drops the rune and generates the vault. This is increased to 1 in 10 on A:4 and almost 1 in 4 on A:5.

pre:
// Returns the roll to use to check if we want to create an abyssal rune.
static int _abyssal_rune_roll()
{
    if (you.runes[RUNE_ABYSSAL] || you.depth < ABYSSAL_RUNE_MIN_LEVEL)
        return -1;
    const bool god_favoured = have_passive(passive_t::attract_abyssal_rune);

const double depth = you.depth + god_favoured;

return (int) pow(100.0, depth/(1 + brdepth[BRANCH_ABYSS]));
}
What I suspect here is that brdepth[BRANCH_ABYSS] returns 27 for goon crawl and therefore is dividing by 27 instead of 5 to get the chance to generate the rune. This not only means you have a poo poo chance on A:3, it also means your chance is doesn't double going to A:4 then more than double going to A:5, it barely goes up.

edit: looking further - not only that, but every few teleports the level resets and if you haven't found the rune vault by then it goes away. So most of the time you are wandering the abyss with no chance of finding a rune vault where in a normal game at A:5 you'd almost constantly have one out there.

Let me know if this fixes it when servers rebuild.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Finally did a 15 rune run as GrEE. Playing on .21 because Borgnjor's was nerfed in .22. I see why people don't like extended very much. Pan is fine and good but Hell is just a loving nightmare. I don't see how you could possibly do it without switching to Zin. Tartarus and Dis are easily the 2 least fun branches in the game by far

https://pastebin.com/iESEfa85

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Floodkiller posted:

Math checks out, the extra +1 in the original was to handle being favoured by Lugonu.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Oka's only contributions here were the barding and Eos. :shepface:

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Um, how do I beat Tomb now? I just get dropped into a room where a billion things zap the poo poo out of me and if I fight back and kill them, they get to own me from beyond the grave? Do I literally have to keep just running to the upstair and bringing a few up with me over and over?

edit: welp died in Tomb, never ever ever doing that rune again because the dev team removed every possible approach to it :)

tote up a bags fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 10, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yo FK are you hearing us about the Abyss thing, this is becoming a serious problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

PMush Perfect posted:

Yo FK are you hearing us about the Abyss thing, this is becoming a serious problem.

Floodkiller, a few posts above posted:

Reading is hard?