Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Nothing like the mid shift guy turning a 2 hour task into an 8 hour task. He's just dragging his feet today. I hope everything is okay but God drat it's going to be busy and I'm scrambling to do 2.5 jobs in one 8 hour shift.

Bleh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cunny mcalister
Mar 21, 2004
Somehow less than meets the eye.

Leal posted:

I was working a kmart that shut down (surprise!) and someone splattered liquid poo poo from the front all the way to the back where the bathrooms were.

And god drat, were people persistent in wanting to drive their carts and walk right over this liquid poo poo.

I had a guy threaten to "move me" because I wouldn't let him and his kid walk through vomit. He didn't want anything from that aisle, and since we were at an aisle intersection, all he had to do was walk another 5 ft. Nope, gotta threaten violence.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The toys are Pikachu and other Pokemon ones. I just can't grasp why loving fast food places like BK wouldn't have loving toys in kids meals. I posted on some of the Pokemon Go pages on Facebook about this, warning people not to expect the toys, and most people were surprised, because since when don't kids get a plastic toy in their meals?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Oh cool. I've been scheduled at a time that I'm unavailable for a night class. Again for the fourth time.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Some drunk lady took a piss between parked cars at 11am right in front of the store. This after an exhaustive interview trying to figure out what I'm doing with my life.

Lady, does "trying not to die" mean anything to you?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Week begins and Dayshift is at it again, 10K undership. But we're chewing through it and our work fast enough it's no big deal.

I mean if management wants to keep offering back half nights voluntary overtime to fix this, when they make nearly $27/hour when overtime hits, it's not my problem.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Something tells me it's cheaper to pay you overtime than hire more help during the day so start hauling in that filthy lucre with both hands imo

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Well Days actually kinda-sorta got their poo poo together for a single shift and other than an absolute scramble at the start to clear the early due-times we actually had a reasonable load tonight. Well other than Stackie Chan, the robot that stacks Amazon Yellow Totes for trans-ship, going down. When the Trans-ship robot goes down the palletizing has to be done by hand which is slow so the Trans-ship line starts backing up until it hits the tote router and then everything shuts down because the tote router is full of Yellow Totes it can't offload to the pack area.

For reference: Trans-shipment is sending items from one facility to another, balancing out inventory and such.

Normally this isn't a problem outside of Peak, just before Prime Day and...well as I said when the robot breaks (which thankfully it doesn't do often). But it is a problem that does happen so the engineers designing the facility built in a pressure relief valve of sorts. There's an area near the packers where excess totes can be taken off to clear the line enough the tote router can start working again and then be put back on when the line starts clearing up. I did this often during peak so I get chosen as the sacrifice for this. I don't mind: no rate to hit, I get to relax and chill.

Only at some point a section of track got all hosed up. One of the electric eyes isn't properly signalling a full track ahead so the U-turn in the track is pushing totes for 5-10 seconds longer than it should, smashing them together and making them popcorn everywhere. Oh and the U-turn sections of conveyor belt are pushing faster/harder than usual. Way harder. Normally I could hold these lines back with a couple fingers. I try to pull a tote back to clear a jam only for the damned line to slide my feet a good 2-3 inches across the floor. As you might guess I'm built like the average Goon so that's a lot of force to be suddenly transferred through my arm. There's nothing like pulling your shoulder to become intimately aware with how many muscle groups are connected to your shoulder blade. :qq:

On the plus side, now that there's a recorded safety incident, Safety is gonna be breathing down the maintenance crew's necks to fix that section of track.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
On today's edition of Stupid poo poo That Aggravates Me: Communicators.

I don't know why, but now, instead of every headset having a number, we've decided to assign them to specific departments and/or managers. They're all labeled and everything, each radio with its own specific place on the charging station.

This doesn't actually work when people just take whatever radio.

Half the time I come in, my radio is gone. I don't know why my radio is gone. I don't care. I've got more important questions on my mind, like "what day is it?", "did I remember to take my meds this morning?", and "what am I doing with my life?"

Instead of just grabbing any radio, I spare this problem the bare minimum of thought, and come up with a solution. I take the radio of someone I know is on vacation, the one person in the building who absolutely will not need their radio.

Six hours later~

We're closing. I'm tending to the last bits of the night, tidying up. The store manager pops on the radio and says, "Who has so'n so's walkie."

"I do," I say, one hand on the radio, the other slapping quarts of ice cream around on a shelf.

And the response comes, sounding as patronizing as it reads, "Well, I need you to take the walkie that's assigned for your department, OK?"

That's what I want at the end of a shift. Someone I've worked for for two years implying I'm stupid.

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

Alkydere posted:

Only at some point a section of track got all hosed up. One of the electric eyes isn't properly signalling a full track ahead so the U-turn in the track is pushing totes for 5-10 seconds longer than it should, smashing them together and making them popcorn everywhere. Oh and the U-turn sections of conveyor belt are pushing faster/harder than usual. Way harder. Normally I could hold these lines back with a couple fingers. I try to pull a tote back to clear a jam only for the damned line to slide my feet a good 2-3 inches across the floor. As you might guess I'm built like the average Goon so that's a lot of force to be suddenly transferred through my arm. There's nothing like pulling your shoulder to become intimately aware with how many muscle groups are connected to your shoulder blade. :qq:

On the plus side, now that there's a recorded safety incident, Safety is gonna be breathing down the maintenance crew's necks to fix that section of track.

I'm really surprised you didn't get blamed for your own injury there, at my FC we have to go through training in order to jam clear that explicitly states that you turn off any conveyor before clearing a jam on it. Anyone who doesn't have the badge from this training is not allowed to actually clear jams or restart a conveyor, all they can do is pull the estop if absolutely necessary. If you do have the badge, doing things incorrectly means you can be written up (and they will investigate how injuries happened). Needless to say, this is in large part an Amazon CYA measure against injury lawsuits, though it does also mean that managers can't make a random tier 1 who doesn't know the correct method get hurt. If jam clearing is just informally trained at your building, expect that to be changing really soon as a result of the incident (especially since formal training for it is standard at other buildings).

I couldn't imagine trying to hold back totes at our downstack tote buffers like that (the conveyors at ours are fast and will give no fucks about meat-based obstructions). No manager gives me poo poo for stopping a line to jam clear either, and if they did I'm sure safety would love to hear about it. It's not like my hand is going to be stopping up to 500 lbs worth of totes+product propelled by an uncaring machine.

The pack area manager should have submitted a ticket (I'm pretty sure conveyor issues are at minimum a sev 3 ticket - halfway up the severity scale) to maintenance as soon as it was known that the photo eye wasn't working. Maintenance will absolutely put off anything that's just called-in via radio or whatever, but a ticket is a timestamped paper trail that their bosses will be aware of. Also fixing an eye is almost the easiest thing they do. 99/100 times they just need to be realigned with their reflector. Just hope you don't have someone like our one maintenance guy who decided that scotch tape was an acceptable way to hold the reflector in place. Surprisingly, that doesn't work for very long.

Please tell us that you have accommodation to avoid doing any work that will aggravate the injury. If not I'd pursue that.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Yeah, I see people with those "Jam-clear trained" tags all the time but have never been offered a Jam Clear class at any time. The FC I work at is incredibly lax about that poo poo, especially as of late. As long as we don't reach over the grates at the corner (hint: we do this all the time) or stick our hands in the machinery (we're generally smart enough to not do this) no one loving cares here.

And since it was only a (relatively) minor strain that will heal in a few days, all AMCARE is willing to do is keep doing checkups and giving me ibuprofen and biofreeze. Still gotta go back and pack. Still gotta hit loving rate (which is a bullshit number they lie about to make us go faster to get their bonuses. I stopped caring months ago and they haven't written me up yet). I'd be angrier at AMCARE if honestly most of the pain wasn't already receding after a couple of days.

And yeah, we're well aware of how Maintenance never responds to voice calls more advanced than "The tote sorter is jammed again" and has to be goaded into action with tickets. I think that's an Amazon standard.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 10, 2019

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Is it rude to say “What’s up?” in response to someone greeting you casually? Just wondering. My manager came in the back to say hello and apparently it was impolite for me to say that :rolleyes:

Edit: is that just like an old person thing?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Pentaghastly posted:

Is it rude to say “What’s up?” in response to someone greeting you casually? Just wondering. My manager came in the back to say hello and apparently it was impolite for me to say that :rolleyes:

Don't hit him up with that ghetto babble boy

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Pentaghastly posted:

Yeah that sounds like an old person thing to me.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Pentaghastly posted:

Your store manager sounds like the type of person who only finds happiness in displeasure; his own, or someone else's.

An rear end in a top hat, if you will.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Your store manager sounds like the type of person who only finds happiness in displeasure; his own, or someone else's.

An rear end in a top hat store manager, if you will.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Pentaghastly posted:

If it is, i'm very guilty. Howdy, yo or whats up is usually how I greet people. Except the FNG. He gets his name angrily shouted at maximum volume. Its how I show affection, I swear. :v:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Part old person thing, part power trip thing.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I often get stuck at a checking station that doesn't have a phone, so I can't page for people properly. All I can do is let out a big shout for a CSM if I see them. And now I'm in trouble because I have to call out a manager's name with my outside voice even though I don't have a phone to page them with.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Pentaghastly posted:

I wouldn't say it to a customer, but to a coworker I wouldn't have an issue with it. I often greet or respond to greetings with coworkers with 'hey [name]' or 'what's up [name]'. Australians are a lot more casual about that sort of thing though, in most workplaces your manager/boss might be in charge but you still address them on a first name basis and chat to them/head down to the pub after work with them like you would any other coworker or acquaintance.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

The Lord Bude posted:

I wouldn't say it to a customer, but to a coworker I wouldn't have an issue with it. I often greet or respond to greetings with coworkers with 'hey [name]' or 'what's up [name]'. Australians are a lot more casual about that sort of thing though, in most workplaces your manager/boss might be in charge but you still address them on a first name basis and chat to them/head down to the pub after work with them like you would any other coworker or acquaintance.

That's how it is in the US to, at least at every job I have ever had. I have never worked at a place where you used titles to refer to those above you in the organizational structure and most interactions with direct managers are casual. That manager is just a weirdo on a power trip.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

My first time meeting my DM I drove him in a company delivery vehicle to a car wash to pick up his firebird and we talked about old square body c-10 pickups.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I recently made the mistake of turning on the radio in my car, and some rear end in a top hat was still complaining about Boyz II Men and talking about how kids these days were getting worse at English.

And like, dude, it's been more than a loving generation, it's time to let that grudge die.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
There used to be a nice old lady that shopped at my store who would always address members of staff as 'grocer'.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Pentaghastly posted:

Someone once posted an image of a card they were given by an customer with poo poo like that on it.

"Saying 'no problems' is not acceptable."

"I'm not your friend or mate, I'm the customer. You may address me as sir."

"Don't ask how I am, that's none of your business. Say, Hello or Good Day."

It still makes me angry thinking about it. Entitled bullshit.

Or, to use one of the infamous Dustin comics.

So glad that, in Australia, most jobs will still let you politely tell someone like that you gently caress off.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 11, 2019

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I really hate how I give people really specific, basic directions and they just cannot follow them for poo poo.

It goes like this: Customer walks up, blurts out "SCRAMBLES!"

I take a minute to parse whether they're asking about something, or having a stroke. Half the time they don't even put an upward inflection on the thing they're asking for. Why is this acceptable for retail, and nothing else? Would you walk into the ER with a spear sticking out of your chest, plod up to the desk, and go, "javelin!"?

But I digress. I know what the customer wants, and I'm already agitated because I've got too little time to do my job and I've already had to do someone else's. I point twenty feet down the line, past the end of the frozen food cases, to the dairy cases. I say, "Down there, above the eggs, on the right."

"OK."

I look up ten seconds later to find the same customer, halfway to the eggs, looking into the frozen pie case, looking at me, then looking back at the case. :magemage:

Tunicate posted:

I recently made the mistake of turning on the radio in my car, and some rear end in a top hat was still complaining about Boyz II Men and talking about how kids these days were getting worse at English.

And like, dude, it's been more than a loving generation, it's time to let that grudge die.

My loving car radio is busted. It's so old I have a tape player.

I'm not fixing it because I don't drive enough to care and because my car is more rust than Buick at this point, the clear coat flaking away like some kind of American-made self-peeling failure banana. It only gets AM radio stations, and every now and then i'll turn it on when I'm leaving work or on break and it's always either C-list pop country or some guy that sounds like a concussed Jim Ross with marshmellows in his mouth.

"Immigrants have thrown the constitution off the steel cage! By gawd, by gawd, snapped in half" :bahgawd:

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Someone once posted an image of a card they were given by an customer with poo poo like that on it.

I live in the south and I specifically say, "happy holidays" just to piss people off at work during Christmas.

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 11, 2019

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I found a recent trend where I say "hi there" and the customer responds "good morning" and if I don't say "good morning" back they get pissy

How many cordialities do you need?

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 11, 2019

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
"NO WELCOME"

"YOUR PROBLEM"

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I had a clerk the other day get approached by two teens - one was filming with their cell phone and the other had a wad of singles fanned out.

"Ma'am, how much money is in your pocket right now?"

The clerk thought she was being robbed and pushed the silent alarm, and when she told them the cops were on the way they fled

What kind of livestream/YouTube prank involves approaching a clerk with money like that?

Angry Pie
Feb 4, 2007
Do you want a piece of me?!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I'm not fixing it because I don't drive enough to care and because my car is more rust than Buick at this point, the clear coat flaking away like some kind of American-made self-peeling failure banana. It only gets AM radio stations, and every now and then i'll turn it on when I'm leaving work or on break and it's always either C-list pop country or some guy that sounds like a concussed Jim Ross with marshmellows in his mouth.

Just delurking to say that "American-made self-peeling failure banana" is an absolutely marvelous turn of phrase.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Am I The rear end in a top hat?

I'm behind the meat counter when a customer approaches. I ask "Hi, anything I can get for you today?" His response, "Yes." After like 2 minutes with neither of us saying or making a move I ask "HI! What can I get for you?" with a hint of annoyance in my voice. After that he confronted me that I didn't specifically ask what he wanted the first time I spoke to him. I didn't retort back because this was a stupid situation, so he finally requested the item he wanted, I gave it to him, and that was that.

I hate these stupid games that some people want to play.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

But.. you did ask him. Your first statement is a "tell me what you want"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

No, pedantically the first question was a yes/no "is there anything you want", which is bugfuck stupid to interpret that way, which is why that person is a person who only gets joy from mild power trips over those that can't punch him for fear of losing their job.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

I once read somewhere that basically everyone over 35 hates "no problem" because they feel like service workers should act like literal servants, and younger people like the phrase because it reassures them that they didn't bother you.

I'm sure it's just baseless pop psychology, but I've taken it to heart - the older the customer, the more likely I am to terminate our conversation with "no problem, have a nice day"

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

so these people who get irritated by "no problem"

do they understand what "thank you" implies?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
They don't care; they want you to speak to them like a servant placating their master. They don't actually want human interaction, they want to feel important over someone else.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
A custimer calls the bakery...
"Do you make any white cakes?"
Yes, we make make either a vanilla or lemon white cake.
"Oh, you don't make chocolate cakes? That's too bad. I was hoping for a chocolate cake."
I must have misunderstood you the first time. Yes, we also make chocolate cake.
"What I really want is a chocolate cake with white frosting."
We can put white frosting on a chocolate cake. No problem.
"Oh. Well, I was hoping that the frosting could be pink."
We can put pink frosting on a chocolate cake.
"No! I want white frosting on the cake and I want it to be pink."
Pink... white frosting? Sure. Why not? I can follow the bouncing ball that is your train of thought
"Oh, and it needs to be peppermint. Can you make it with peppermint flavored white frosting?"
So you really want white pepermint frosting? Or do you want pink peppermint frosting?
"Yes."
Which one?
"I told you! I want a white cake, and it needs to be chocolate, and it needs to have pink frosting."

The warm embrace of death can not come fast enough.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Budgie posted:

"NO WELCOME"

"YOUR PROBLEM"

hehe

Odonata posted:

"Oh, you don't make chocolate cakes? That's too bad. I was hoping for a chocolate cake."
Pink... white frosting? Sure. Why not? I can follow the bouncing ball that is your train of thought
"Oh, and it needs to be peppermint. Can you make it with peppermint flavored white frosting?"
So you really want white pepermint frosting? Or do you want pink peppermint frosting?
"Yes."
Which one?
"I told you! I want a white cake, and it needs to be chocolate, and it needs to have pink frosting."

this is infuriating

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

ijii posted:

Am I The rear end in a top hat?

I'm behind the meat counter when a customer approaches. I ask "Hi, anything I can get for you today?" His response, "Yes." After like 2 minutes with neither of us saying or making a move I ask "HI! What can I get for you?" with a hint of annoyance in my voice. After that he confronted me that I didn't specifically ask what he wanted the first time I spoke to him. I didn't retort back because this was a stupid situation, so he finally requested the item he wanted, I gave it to him, and that was that.

I hate these stupid games that some people want to play.

That dude is an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Odonata posted:

"Yes."
Which one?

I wanna die just reading this.