Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

My experience with Borderlands 2 is being absolutely miserable.

When I join somebody, this push me forward in the story quests, so enemies start droping weapons I can't use.

The playerbase is... pff..... people that see 3 players down, and one enem with 1% health, they focus on the enemy, stealing the kills from the people down but not death.
This again and again and again.

The game feel strangely fresh. Considering is a game I completed two times and farmed the endgame boss and most parts on it, is weird that the game feels so fresh. Sometimes I find myself in a area of the game thinking "is this something new they have added?".
The game feels strangely tough, hard. Maybe they have made the game harder with patches? , maybe I am getting older.

With this in mind, I am sure what class to choose in Borderlands 3. I am going to use the one with pets, or something autonomous..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Tei posted:

When I join somebody, this push me forward in the story quests, so enemies start droping weapons I can't use.

The playerbase is... pff..... people that see 3 players down, and one enem with 1% health, they focus on the enemy, stealing the kills from the people down but not death.
We have a discord for borderlands so you can play with fellow goons

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Tei posted:

Don't play with randos.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Wow. I forgot just how much of a disappointment the destroyer was.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Hahaha really? Like that thing is stuck in my head to this day as the ideal example of a huge let down.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Not hard to believe someone forgot the final boss of BL1.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Is the warrior the one you fight that's standing in lava...no the warrior you fight in an arena and its walking around...the destroyer was the giant tentacle thing I think...poo poo I can barely remember the destroyer.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

AkumaHokoru posted:

Is the warrior the one you fight that's standing in lava...no the warrior you fight in an arena and its walking around...the destroyer was the giant tentacle thing I think...poo poo I can barely remember the destroyer.

BL1 is the destroyer. It's a tentacle blob sticking out of a portal.

BL2 is the warrior. It's like a dragon thing in a lava pit.

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010
The destroyer got ashed by my Hellfire SMG in approx 10 seconds and most of what I remember of the fight is my friends commenting after that they hadn't actually gotten to do anything.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
The best Vault Monster was the Traveler, because the fight with that one was so satisfying.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

AkumaHokoru posted:

Is the warrior the one you fight that's standing in lava

lava's rising

get to high ground

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
ok so I mixed like 3 bosses but don't remember the destroyer.

I remember the warrior now and it sucked on high difficulty cause it just soaked.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Before now I'd only played Lilith in BL1 and wow Mordecai gets real broken real fast. Once you max out that ignore shields skill you can 1-3 shot pretty much anything. Lilith gets broken too but it's more defensive and it takes a bit longer.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I loved the bosses in TPS, are cool and fun*

Is amazing to compare the destroyer with the sentinel.

* the claptrap one was a bit too much of everything

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

TPS has the best final boss imo but the dahl jet you fight before it is possibly the worst boss in any game i've ever played, except for maybe supreme calamitas but that doesn't really count

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am looking at Zero and his Bloodlust tree looks appealing, coming from Mania Krueger. Is he worth trying out?

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

watho posted:

TPS has the best final boss imo but the dahl jet you fight before it is possibly the worst boss in any game i've ever played, except for maybe supreme calamitas but that doesn't really count

It's definitely tied with the Rakk Hive for worst Borderlands boss, but at least the Rakk Hive was incredibly easy.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I really hope bl3 does away with flying enemies entirely

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Unlucky7 posted:

I am looking at Zero and his Bloodlust tree looks appealing, coming from Mania Krueger. Is he worth trying out?

Is that the melee tree? If so it's a blast. You can literally be Grey Fox and I had a great time with it. The problems with it are:

- You can't melee some bosses and enemies because they fly higher than you can jump or charge. At the end of the day this is a shooting game. You will have to respec to a ranged build in certain areas then respec back to melee after.

- It doesn't scale well into TVHM and UVHM. The enemies are just way too overtuned.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Rakk hive is nowhere near as bad, and it was truly impressive at the time with its scale. It also has the cool lore implications when you realize how many of those are dormant around pandora when you recognize them all over the place on your second play through.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

watho posted:

Rakk hive is nowhere near as bad, and it was truly impressive at the time with its scale. It also has the cool lore implications when you realize how many of those are dormant around pandora when you recognize them all over the place on your second play through.

They were in BL1 too. There's an early side quest to clear a rakk hive and yup it's right there in the ground. It was really creepy the first time I realized that.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I was talking about BL1

e: I think there are like 3 or 4 in the first area alone

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Elephant Ambush posted:

They were in BL1 too. There's an early side quest to clear a rakk hive and yup it's right there in the ground. It was really creepy the first time I realized that.

...yeah, no poo poo? It's a BL1 boss fight.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

watho posted:

Fighting that jet as melee Athena almost made me quit and roll a new character.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Donovan Trip posted:

I really hope bl3 does away with flying enemies entirely

It would help if their ai didn't prioritise dodging attacks over everything else.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I’m okay with Rakk since they have low health and attack by flying towards you in a straight line. buzzards, surveyors, and those kinds are complete garbage design through and through tho

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ruflux posted:

Yeah but that was only after he mentioned not being asked on Twitter, resulting in some controversy and Atlus scrambling to see if they could cut a deal. It's very likely they're not even re-recording any of his old lines. I think this might be an attempt at a similar ploy, actually. Difference is, Randy only cares about money and doesn't mind people hating him for being a greedy piece of poo poo, so I doubt it'll work.

Isn't the whole "I'd love to, but they never asked" story the official boilerplate excuse to make when there's union concerns?

internet celebrity posted:

Before now I'd only played Lilith in BL1 and wow Mordecai gets real broken real fast. Once you max out that ignore shields skill you can 1-3 shot pretty much anything. Lilith gets broken too but it's more defensive and it takes a bit longer.

Yeah for various reasons I had never gotten around to playing sniper Mordecai (the one run I did do with him was a pistols/melee build) but now that I have I think I'm gonna end up giving 2 and TPS a go with Zero (again, only ever played melee and it was honestly pretty miserable) and Aurelia. Though I might be able to talk my friend into Aurelia's master/servant thing which I didn't even know about until a couple of days ago. :eyepop:

Unlucky7 posted:

Are you playing solo or co-op, and if the latter, with how many people? Because I always felt like melee Zero (and actually for that matter, Krieg as well) was a slog to manage with 3-4 players because stuff just scales too high and it renders melee useless...though I also don't think I ever fully understood the power of Law + Order or did a great job of min/maxing my build so I might be full of poo poo and just bad at the game.

watho posted:

I’m okay with Rakk since they have low health and attack by flying towards you in a straight line. buzzards, surveyors, and those kinds are complete garbage design through and through tho

The biggest problem with flying enemies IMO is that guns aren't hitscan, so actually landing hits is often a crapshoot. On top of plenty of builds not really being interested in accuracy to begin with. I always thought Buzzards were okay because they have really obvious weakpoints and they blow up good, but certain areas spawn entirely too many of them, at very awkward angles and sometimes a badass one just shows up out of nowhere and oops now you're getting nuked from above. All of this gets compounded if you don't have a reliable corrosive weapon yet.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 10, 2019

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Walrus Pete posted:

...yeah, no poo poo? It's a BL1 boss fight.

Whoops I thought it was in 2.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I guess gearbox uploaded a new trailer to their instagram and then deleted it a few minutes later.

No audio, and starts at 52 seconds if the timestamp doesn't work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk47-XnLo_k&t=52s

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Bugsy posted:

I guess gearbox uploaded a new trailer to their instagram and then deleted it a few minutes later.

Gearbox has done this so many times promoting this game alone that I’m pretty sure it’s just intentional.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

watho posted:

Right? Replaying bl2 I realized that games don't gently caress with flying enemies like this anymore. It's one of the things that dates the game, along with Diablo style skill trees.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Donovan Trip posted:

Right? Replaying bl2 I realized that games don't gently caress with flying enemies like this anymore. It's one of the things that dates the game, along with Diablo style skill trees.

I truly hope there aren't any penny-ante bullshit +4% whatever skills in the new game. I'd love if it was more like Diablo 3 in terms of every choice being a significant, important trade-off with a noticeable effect. I'm not too optimistic about them making those kinds of changes (dumping WoW-style quests would be another) but you never know, I guess.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I'm the problem. I still enjoy Diablo-style skill trees.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Donovan Trip posted:

Lets be honest, BL up to this point has gotten away with some questionable design decisions because they were the only people doing what they were doing. Between that AND Randy Pitchford being a sleazy, shady gently caress, the fact that they are still playable kinda shows that there is some weird X-Factor to these games that makes them not like much else. That or we are all horrible addicts scratching for a fix, no matter how objectively good it is. Probably some combination of both.

It will be interesting to see how they update BL3 for the here and now.

EDIT: Also holy poo poo Deception is a really loving fun skill and I can't believe I didn't try Zero sooner.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

BinaryDoubts posted:

I truly hope there aren't any penny-ante bullshit +4% whatever skills in the new game. I'd love if it was more like Diablo 3 in terms of every choice being a significant, important trade-off with a noticeable effect. I'm not too optimistic about them making those kinds of changes (dumping WoW-style quests would be another) but you never know, I guess.

I unironically support a return to Diablo 2 1.10's solution to skill trees, synergies. :colbert:

Diablo 2 was also superior to Borderlands because you got so many skill points. It's a lot more fun with more variety and more regular increments.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
They made respeccing really cheap and easy to do, but I agree the skills all being "+2.5% shield recharge for 5 seconds after killing a guy" is zzzzzzzz

Krieg added some fun poo poo like running full speed with dynamite at an enemy for a second wind, more of that please

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Donovan Trip posted:

what's an example of a game with the right, non-dated approach?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://mobile.twitter.com/DuvalMag...50%2Fframe.html

So this is what Randy is claiming, for all the good it does.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/DuvalMag...50%2Fframe.html

So this is what Randy is claiming, for all the good it does.

lmao that is total bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He's probably salty that Troy didn't want to see his magic trick. It's completely in line with Randy not giving a gently caress, saving money where he can and never finding a bribe he'd turn down. He's totally the kind of rear end in a top hat who thinks actors are interchangeable.