Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Jesus christ, you loving weirdo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
It's okay not to like things or styles, but my god, comics is full of the bitterest gatekeepers.

ecavalli posted:

Haven't I seen this ridiculed before in this very thread?

ecavalli posted:

Oh good, more baffling anime bullshit completely lacking in context.

ecavalli posted:

See, that's the problem with people posting manga in this thread. For every Baki post that actually deserves a spot here, we get dozens of manga posts that need an explainer as to why they're badass. And then the people posting the manga get super defensive and blame the thread for being racist against glorious Nippon and its wonderful comics.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Squidster posted:

It's okay not to like things or styles, but my god, comics is full of the bitterest gatekeepers.

I believe you're also supposed to accuse me of racism then hope desperately that your accusation is met with agreement and not a whole shitton of eyerolls.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Here, please enjoy this badass moment from The Spire by Simon Spurrier and Jeff Stokely. It may not have Thor in it, but I promise you it's quite good!

Setup:
In a post-apocalyptic feudal tower city of serf mutants and cruel human nobles, the captain of the guard pursues a gang of briggands.

Squidster fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 11, 2019

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Edit: forget it I suppose

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Johnny Aztec posted:

Jesus christ, you loving weirdo

And you're a proven racist! I know which of those I like being better.

at least I'm posting panels instead of just angrily trying to explain why, actually, hating things based solely on national origin is normal and you guys are the weirdos also anime killed my father, furthermo

(tag yourselves, I'm the Destroyer

JA and company are Hitler, obviously)

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 11, 2019

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ecavalli posted:

Valid point.

Here's something infinitely more badass than any of the lovely manga posts that spawned this dumbass, neverending argument.

Most of the Thor stuff always seemed a bit too try hard for me, and not earned in any real thematic sense.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Mulva posted:

Most of the Thor stuff always seemed a bit too try hard for me, and not earned in any real thematic sense.

I mean, there was a bunch of build up to it. Aaron realized that we all want Van Art Thor.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ecavalli posted:

I believe you're also supposed to accuse me of racism then hope desperately that your accusation is met with agreement and not a whole shitton of eyerolls.

Hey I hear you support the Japanese internment camps? This is a reasonable thing to accuse people of when they don't like anime.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Holy gently caress thread, pull up

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

Holy gently caress thread, pull up

But nerds fighting over what is and isn't cool is the most badass thing around.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Or you could mosey on back to your abusive gaslighting anime clique.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

these have all been reasonable reactions, for sure

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Lurdiak has arrived, the sacred cycle of Japanese Comics in the Badass Panels thread has been completed. See y'all in six months when we all go over this again.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

two gangs, one comic book fans, one manga fans, walking closer to each other snapping with each step but nobody can keep rhythm with each other

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Alaois posted:

two gangs, one comic book fans, one manga fans, walking closer to each other snapping with each step but nobody can keep rhythm with each other

One turning left to right, the other right to left, clumsily colliding with each other

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Two households, both alike in dignity
In fair BSS, where we lay our scene

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
all comics are reactionary and badass panels and anti-revolutionary regardless of country of origin, inshallah

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Senju Kannon posted:

all comics are reactionary and badass panels and anti-revolutionary regardless of country of origin, inshallah

Please: all super-hero comics

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Apart from certain thread regulars with very specific rap sheets, I think it's mostly resistance to change that causes such distrust of other media, rather than direct racism. Sometimes how that's rationalized falls into outright racism, but I don't think it's always the source.

Look, I love Thor a LOT. I've got the Simonson omnibus and a shelf of JiM trades. But I got burned out. When I stopped finding new things in capes stories, I went to indie comics, and manga, and YA graphic novels, and there's amazing novel stories out there from new voices! Look past Ennis, Bendis, Millar, or any of the names we've seen for the past twenty years, and give new books from new names a chance.

Pretend I posted a million pages of Motherlands at the end of this post, because everyone should read that. It's gorgeous, gross, weird as all hell, and tightly written at six issues. It's about a fuckup bounty hunter and her sleazy has-been grandma, going on one last hunt together.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Maltose posted:

Lurdiak has arrived, the sacred cycle of Japanese Comics in the Badass Panels thread has been completed. See y'all in six months when we all go over this again.

In 6 months we'll only have posted another half dozen comic panels :(

Here's a comic where the badass-ness isn't in the comic itself, but from the creators. It's a full short story, but it's real old so hope it's ok.

EC comics was doing some loving amazing stuff in the 50s. This would be a hard story to tell today, let alone with the level of violence in this comic. I've been going through the Wally Wood EC artist collection that Fantagraphics put out a while back and goddamn the back half of that book is just horrific story after horrific story, of entirely real life poo poo. Sometimes they put editors notes to reinforce the message, but usually it was just raw on the pages like this.

e:

or for those who need something a bit more conventional, Mr Fury can oblige.

e2:

overloading the badass thread

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 11, 2019

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
yeah, maybe some of us are being sensationalist, easily triggered, etc

or it could be the running into the thread with the same hot take of "Asian comicbooks are categorically inferior because Anime Bad" repeatedly while dragging a rap sheet full of being a big fat racist on your heel makes you seem like, so racist

Either way, I'm just here because I like comic books! Badass panels specifically. What constitutes a badass panel seems pretty subjective.
Western Comics

Asian Comics

I feel like some things belong here, not because of context, but just because they'd look great airbrushed on a van

some things are Thor

the only thing I know is that I'm posting panels, and the only rule I can think of is "No Edits"

So I'm going to keep posting panels and calling out lovely, racist opinions.

Because that's the American Way!

Bonus Van Panel

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 11, 2019

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
It helps that comic books are the same dozen stories being repeated for decades so you can easily post out of context panels and most people will get it because it never had significant changes while manga tend to be one focused, continuous storyline which makes it pretty hard to make sense reading random pages blind. There are some exceptions but that tends to be the gist of it.

And also most posters have an unnecessary aggravating reaction when they're posted.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cuchulain posted:

or it could be the running into the thread with the same hot take of "Asian comicbooks are categorically inferior because Anime Bad" repeatedly while dragging a rap sheet full of being a big fat racist on your heel makes you seem like, so racist

:munch:

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man
Man, I was wondering why this thread had 73 unreads.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Jordan7hm posted:

e:
or for those who need something a bit more conventional, Mr Fury can oblige.

Alternative-

I am going to buy a van just so I can have that airbrushed on the side.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Squidster posted:

Spy X Family.

It's Mr and Mrs Smith, but manga.

This is great, extremely badass, and does not require context, and I was the one who had issues with the Bottle Angle Atilla skating rink pages posted earlier because they were literally hard to parse, if you had problems parsing this beautiful page your eyeballs are full of poop and not eyeball gunk.
e: the loving grenade even says BOMB on it what in the loving gently caress guys :allears:

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Cuchulain posted:

Hey, you're coming off as super holier than thou and lovely. Stop it. Post cool anime if you want but jesus, stop with the commentary

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Everyone should just chill the gently caress out and post cool panels.

One Punch Man Chapter 106

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Some context may be needed for those who don't religiously read 2000AD. The man in the glasses is Judge Smiley, head of a super secret Black Ops division of Judges responsible for total deniable ops and preserving Mega-City One by any means necessary. He operates above even the Chief Judge. Judge Dredd, the living embodiment of the Law and in many ways Mega-City One itself, discovered Smiley, and learned that he had used stolen alien technology to make a totally untouchable assassination corps, able to become completely invisible and walk through solid objects.

Dredd doesn't like that. He really doesn't like that as far as he knows, a decades of illegal assassinations across the world were approved by the Chief Judge and Justice Department. Because as much of a stickler for the law as he is, a major part of recent Judge Dredd has been him learning that the law isn't perfect, and finding his own personal moral code that he holds above even the system he's spent his life supporting and enforcing.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

From Mike Carey's Lucifer #18

Christopher Rudd was once the finest swordsman in all the land. Now he is in hell, the plaything of a Demoness seeking scandalous diversions. He has just learned that the centuries of torment he suffered in the fields of pain served not to cleanse and purify his immortal soul, but merely to provide some temporary amusement for demons wiling away their eternity. He is not happy.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That's great stuff :allears:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rudd eventually conquers all of Hell and then raises an army to storm the gates of Heaven. Where he gets involved with the endgame of Lucifer's story.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Captain Universe vs. nuclear explosion (LoEG Tempest #5):

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That is super bad rear end, I had to look at that big panel for a while to really understand what's going on. That's not a "hard to parse" complaint, it's a great visualization of an amazingly weird event. The transition from fore- to background could be a little more gradual but whatever

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Every time I see Lucifer pages posted, I always feel compelled to re-read the whole thing again.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

In 6 months we'll only have posted another half dozen comic panels :(

Here's a comic where the badass-ness isn't in the comic itself, but from the creators. It's a full short story, but it's real old so hope it's ok.

EC comics was doing some loving amazing stuff in the 50s. This would be a hard story to tell today, let alone with the level of violence in this comic. I've been going through the Wally Wood EC artist collection that Fantagraphics put out a while back and goddamn the back half of that book is just horrific story after horrific story, of entirely real life poo poo. Sometimes they put editors notes to reinforce the message, but usually it was just raw on the pages like this.

True stories from the Chicago Police Department.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Avulsion posted:

From Mike Carey's Lucifer #18

Christopher Rudd was once the finest swordsman in all the land. Now he is in hell, the plaything of a Demoness seeking scandalous diversions. He has just learned that the centuries of torment he suffered in the fields of pain served not to cleanse and purify his immortal soul, but merely to provide some temporary amusement for demons wiling away their eternity. He is not happy.

Lucifer is one of the greatest creative runs I've ever read. Never loses steam, incredibly compelling the whole way through.

gently caress Fox in the rear end two times with a powerdrill for turning it into procedural drek.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Lucifer is one of the greatest creative runs I've ever read. Never loses steam, incredibly compelling the whole way through.

gently caress Fox in the rear end two times with a powerdrill for turning it into procedural drek.

This highlights why the current system is so hosed up. "We can't greenlight something unless it has an existing audience, or else the risk of failure is too great." Which leads to "But the thing we've licensed isn't what we actually want to make, because its too far from what we think the mainstream likes." So we get "We'll just take the name and as little of the concept as we think we can get away with." And concludes with "The fans didn't like it? Didn't they say they always wanted a movie or show about this? Man, there's no pleasing some people!"

Which is how you get I, Robot as an action movie and Lucifer as a police procedural. :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

hatelull posted:

Every time I see Lucifer pages posted, I always feel compelled to re-read the whole thing again.

After seeing those panels, I realized I’d never read it before. The library has digital downloads of the run, though, and holy moly, is it ever good