Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Veotax posted:

Don't play AC3 then, the tutorial is like eight hours long. And that's not even exaggeration, you play like five hours of tutorial as one character and then swap to another character and have a few more hours of tutorial poo poo.

Too late, I'm installing it now :v:

I'm gonna play it until I get annoyed, which is to say if it kicks me out within five minutes that's fine, I'm ready to return to Bayek. I'm just enjoying a little sampler of controls/tutorials vs modern design.

On a similar note, I forgot how much Altair sucks - he's such a pompous rear end at first, and I don't have the patience to put up with him, even if he didn't come bundled with technical issues / bad controls / etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Samuringa posted:

Who wants some old rear end classic wRPGs?

Fanatical Beamdog's Pick & Mix

I just finished this the other day and it's pretty bad. The hacking is extremely simplified - all you do is Ping a website, IPhack it and then download its files - the missions are barebones and there is one good puzzle in the entire game.

The story also never goes anywhere but the little that is shown blows.

That's only a good deal for all 6. The games are routinely ~$5 during sales and NWN1 is only expensive because its recently released.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Altair gets a surprisingly good character arc just from the dialogues you get in the assassin hideouts in the different cities.

The original Assassin's Creed is still my favorite. Also my least favorite. It's the only AC I've played! :3:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Too Shy Guy posted:

Altair gets a surprisingly good character arc just from the dialogues you get in the assassin hideouts in the different cities.

The original Assassin's Creed is still my favorite. Also my least favorite. It's the only AC I've played! :3:

I can grok this - when I first watched AssCreed 1 via Geop's LP, I liked his arc as he grew as a character into someone I could root for.

It's just that now when I'm cranky about the controls and general jankiness, going from Bayek "best cop, good dad" to "hmph. this must be important because I was sent. also I can kill whenever" Altair, I was too annoyed to continue. I like being able to care about characters from the get-go in games - which is personal preference.

I think the other time this happened to me was Haseo in .hack//gu - part of why I haven't picked up the PC port yet is because I'm gonna have to sit through his edgy teenage rear end whining through nearly two games until he finally grows up a bit.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The one good thing I can say about AC3 is that the boat missions are top notch. Since they were just a self-contained side thing in a game already bloated to hell and back they really built the hell out of the missions. Even compared to Black Flag it can come out on top in some respects.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I heard the Homestead stuff is good

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I felt it had potential but they didn’t build the characters enough for me to care enough.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

AC3 is a strange, almost feverdream-like game, due to all the different systems in the game that are so shoddily implemented and then later abandoned. The long intro character that u never play as again, the homestead that u build up, but then never really doing anything with, the aforementioned impressive naval combat and naval management sim that comes so late in the game to be meaningless, and even the huge Patriot-style battles that happen like twice(?) in the game and are way more spectacle than substance all lend to the game feeling cobbled together, in addition to its many other failings.

Its also one of the few Assassin's Creed games that Ive actually beaten so im pretty sure i enjoyed it. Tomahawk is a badass main weapon and i loved stealing bayonetted rifles and going to town on some lobster backs :black101:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I like that they plotted all these routes through the trees but usually there's only one that goes where you want to go and there's nothing in the wilderness anyway so you don't usually need to bother at all

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Assassin's Creed 3 is easily the worst game in the series and the remaster doesn't do enough and has a lot of weird graphical issues on top of it. The first game is playable but it's definitely a prototype of the later games in the series and it's very hard to go back to even after playing 2.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
How is the new Ace Assault Combat 7?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Lowness 72 posted:

Ace Combat 7 was good and fun and the PC port runs fine

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lowness 72 posted:

It's super good although some of the later missions have obnoxious gimmicks

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

MagusDraco posted:

Ace Combat 7 was good and fun and the PC port runs fine

Worth the $40 sale price right now or should I wait? I'm thinking I should wait for the summer sale.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lowness 72 posted:

If you’re a big dumb idiot like me and care about the plot in Planes: The Anime you’ll find that part a bit lacking but it is an otherwise super good single player campaign. I haven’t touched the multiplayer and don’t feel I wasted any time or money.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Lowness 72 posted:

Worth the $40 sale price right now or should I wait? I'm thinking I should wait for the summer sale.

I paid full price at launch and loved it. Guess it really hi yes on are you gonna play it right now or sit in your backlog for a bit. If you aren't going to play it then yeah wait for the summer sale

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

flatluigi posted:

Assassin's Creed 3 is easily the worst game in the series

Are we all just pretending Unity didn't happen now?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Sinteres posted:

Are we all just pretending Unity didn't happen now?

Unity was the most broken Assassin's Creed game, that's for sure.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Unity seems like it's fine now that it's been patched and it's also one of the best looking of the original series

but the first week face bugs were amazing

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Unity was buggy as hell but that's been fixed (and was fixed very quickly after launch for the record) and it ended up being perfectly fine. 3 was just fundamentally and structurally broken with a hot mess of half-baked mechanics and I was really hoping that the remaster would at least kick it into shape enough to be enjoyable, but it definitely doesn't seem to be the case.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The mainline Ace Combat series is Metal Gear Solid but with jets, if you are unaware.

Aside from that, it has great gameplay and some very nice set pieces, although there are some stages that a bit ballbusting.

edit:

Back when it was released

Samuringa posted:

For anyone still wondering what kind of game Ace Combat is, this happens in the third mission of the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsNIGOugXqk

And I'm sure it'll only get exponentially more batshit from here.

Also, Butt Status: Successfully Clenched

https://i.imgur.com/dvVLMde.mp4

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 11, 2019

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Ace Combat 7's plot has a .jpg dog which you first notice and laugh about

Then you find out about its sad backstory of it being a real dog that passed away the creator slipped in to honor their memory :(

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

holy gently caress finally

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

holy gently caress finally

Seriously? God how long has it been since that was broken. At least a couple months right?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Sinteres posted:

Are we all just pretending Liberation didn't happen now?

I actually tried playing AC1 for the first time after playing through everything up to and including Rogue, and gave up pretty much instantly.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

My opinions which you were all dying to read:

AssCreed 3 had a great main character, plus an interesting setting. It’s real long though, and as mentioned some missions are just a waste of the players time (eavesdropping and such).

AssCreed Unity is great, it has the best and most beautiful setting and solid gameplay + story. It got savaged because of the buggy launch but today it’s all patched up. Personally I think it’s better than Syndicate. It certainly looks prettier (besides, Industrial London is fuxking ugly). I would recommend this over AC3.

Origins and Odyssey, the modern evolution, without a doubt the best games in the series. It’s even a little weird to say they’re Assassin’s Creed games because they lack the worst parts of the earlier games. Arguably those annoying missions gave the games some charm, but I never enjoyed an eavesdropping mission. Must plays, both of them.

In conclusion: Play Origins, Odyssey. If you like France, play Unity.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MagusDraco posted:

Seriously? God how long has it been since that was broken. At least a couple months right?

Two or three at least, surely.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Too late, I'm installing it now :v:

I'm gonna play it until I get annoyed, which is to say if it kicks me out within five minutes that's fine, I'm ready to return to Bayek. I'm just enjoying a little sampler of controls/tutorials vs modern design.

On a similar note, I forgot how much Altair sucks - he's such a pompous rear end at first, and I don't have the patience to put up with him, even if he didn't come bundled with technical issues / bad controls / etc.

Meh the tutorials are tolerable, what's gonna frustrate you is all the buggy gameplay.

I just finished the remaster and there were climbing issues, combat issues, QTE issues, cursecutscene issues and map icon issues.

Oh yeah, don't bother going for full sync, some of them are bullshit and the jankiness of the game works against you getting them.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Psychotic Weasel posted:

That's a shame - I was debating picking it up when it was on sale in March but missed the sale by a day. Began mulling if I should just grab it to scratch an itch since there's not much else like it out there but sounds like I'll be holding off some more.

I put a lot of time into X3 but skipped Rebirth after all the bad press. Was hoping they got their act together as the few people I had watched play it seemed to genuinely be enjoying it.
If you're used to X3 it's better than X3 was at this stage.

I'd say it's gone from Egosoft: broken as hell stage to Egosoft: janky as hell stage still a bit longer until it reaches the Egosoft: held together with spit and twine final form.

If you've waited this long might as well wait for a sale unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Worst 3 AC games to me (ending with the worst): Unity, Liberation, AC3. Unity at least had the awesome coop missions (rip) and looked amazing (despite NPC models pop-up). I never played AC1 though.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
DMC5 is incredible, holy poo poo. Japanese devs are killing it lately: Yakuza 6 and Kiwami 2, new Ace Combat (developed in a year apparently, as Namco didn't believe it will sell!?), RE2 remake, Sekiro, all great games.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Terminally Bored posted:

DMC5 is incredible, holy poo poo. Japanese devs are killing it lately: Yakuza 6 and Kiwami 2, new Ace Combat (developed in a year apparently, as Namco didn't believe it will sell!?), RE2 remake, Sekiro, all great games.

The AC7 devs thought what they had was terrible, they scrapped it completely and started over. It's all on them, Namco was quite supportive throughout this ordeal.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Palpek posted:

Worst 3 AC games to me (ending with the worst): Unity, Liberation, AC3. Unity at least had the awesome coop missions (rip) and looked amazing (despite NPC models pop-up). I never played AC1 though.

How dare you, Liberation is light and fun. Shame you get the whip way too late.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I liked Liberation at first as the protagonist is so much better than the one in AC3 but the gameplay became too repetitive after the novelty wore off and those constant outfit swaps became a chore pretty quick + I got tired of looking at swamps.

It's kinda crazy how many weird little one-off ideas Ubi tried out in various AC games only to abandon them forever. Bomb crafting in Revelations (sucked), coop missions in Unity (owned), grappling hook in Syndicate (owned), blunderbusses in Unity (almost good). It's cool that ship combat made it out of AC3.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Unity was actually pretty good imo. It suffered from being hugely buggy and filled with map-spam and microtransaction bollocks, but the moment-to-moment play is the best in the series so far I reckon. Arno had a really good weight to his movement and I feel like they finally managed to create a parkour system that actually did what you wanted it to do like 90% of the time. Also combat was challenging for the first time; I had to make legit plans for how I'd tackle a room with more than like 2 guards in it, where in prior games I'd go in and hit counter until everyone was dead.

Then again I'm one of the weirdos who doesn't really like the direction the new games have gone in. Story-wise they're fine (outside-the-animus stuff excepted), but I've never been one for loot-based gameplay and I miss the dense urban environments of earlier games.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It's Unity that introduced an inventory and loot to the series though...

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Next AC is gonna be vikings, but I hope the next one after that will be more urban. Rome would be tricky because of how much Italy and Rome figured into AC2, but maybe Early Rome would be unique and interesting considering you see the ruins of that era in Brotherhood.

Then again, every soul on earth is hankering for AC: Sengoku if we're honest.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think AC feudal Japan or 3K China would be so played out by this point that it’s missed its own window of opportunity. I’d love to see a Mongol-era game since it was such an interesting time in history that’s rarely portrayed in video games. Or the Fourth Crusade because it was so fuckin nuts.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

Next AC is gonna be vikings, but I hope the next one after that will be more urban. Rome would be tricky because of how much Italy and Rome figured into AC2, but maybe Early Rome would be unique and interesting considering you see the ruins of that era in Brotherhood.

Then again, every soul on earth is hankering for AC: Sengoku if we're honest.

AC: Romance of the Three Kingdoms or bust :colbert:

e: So many interesting cities in history tho, from all kinds of eras. I just want to see an assassin trying to take down Lu Bu and his magic horse

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

exquisite tea posted:

I think AC feudal Japan or 3K China would be so played out by this point that it’s missed its own window of opportunity.

Played out? What do you mean?