Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Thom and the Heads posted:

I think I'm going to watch The Seventh Seal tonight. Is there a consensus on whether first timers should watch the theatrical cut or miniseries version of Fanny and Alexander? Apologies, I'm sure this question has been asked a billion times.

The full miniseries is the way to go, but don't feel like you have to watch it all in one sitting. It was designed to be watched in multiple parts(obviously).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Except that you will probably wind up watching it all in one sitting anyways.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Speaking of recs

The Decalogue and Three Colours if no one has seen it

Three Colours in HD is a loving religious experience

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I added the Three Colours trilogy after I saw Julie Delpy was in Three Colours: White. I will watch anything with her, and I'm kinda low-key upset that Linklater's Before Trilogy isn't on the site at launch.

I'm not seeing The Decalogue/Dekalog on Criterion Channel, but they have the expansion films A Short Film About Killing and A Short Film About Love, unless I'm missing something.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Franchescanado posted:

I added the Three Colours trilogy after I saw Julie Delpy was in Three Colours: White. I will watch anything with her, and I'm kinda low-key upset that Linklater's Before Trilogy isn't on the site at launch.

I'm not seeing The Decalogue/Dekalog on Criterion Channel, but they have the expansion films A Short Film About Killing and A Short Film About Love, unless I'm missing something.

Yeah, weird

Dekalog is a Criterion box set but I guess they haven't put it up yet

But yeah watch Three Colours

Especially Blue

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Thinking about going for a relatively chill film when I get home. Should I go with Night on Earth (one of the only Jarmusch films I haven't seen yet) or The Player?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Friends Are Evil posted:

Thinking about going for a relatively chill film when I get home. Should I go with [...] The Player?

I can assure you a film about me would be cool, but not chill. :cheers:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Franchescanado posted:

Someone also made a Criterion Channel Letterboxd list.

(I've only seen 78 of the 1400+ flicks)

You’ve watched 851 of 1489

:smuggo:

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 10, 2019

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Really thought you of all people would hit quadruple digits there

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

I watched Persona last night - my first time watching a Bergman film.

Folks, it's good.

The story she tells about her and her friend at the beach singed my eyebrows.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

FitFortDanga posted:

If you think about, this merely means the service has less value for you. You’re being ripped off in a way

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

FitFortDanga posted:

But at what speed

FEXO
Oct 25, 2001

sciencehuh posted:

If anyone here has any feature requests, or notices any bugs, let me know!

Thanks for your efforts.

Have you seen this guy's spreadsheet?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-ctl5IGVUqfkCH48DFUbLx0iQai9r6BLG9NStMwxPSw/edit#gid=1669669741

He has an expiring soon column that would be a nice feature to add to tcclibrary. Also being able to see the supplemental material is cool. The only issue is that it is not grouped properly in his spreadsheet.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

DeimosRising posted:

If you think about, this merely means the service has less value for you. You’re being ripped off in a way

I would be getting ripped off.... if I had the service.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Speaking of recs

The Decalogue and Three Colours if no one has seen it

Three Colours in HD is a loving religious experience

100%. I was fortunate enough to see Red at the Toronto film festival on a giant rear end screen. So good.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Basebf555 posted:

Sometimes I wonder if Persona is maybe not a great place to start with Bergman, because in a lot of ways you can't top it. It's mostly downhill from there.

Bergman's films are obviously very diverse though so that's not completely true I guess. There's certainly nothing like Fanny & Alexander's ridiculously lavish sets in Persona.

Even though I'm not the biggest Bergman fan Persona is fantastic, though I like The Silence and Through A Glass Darkly as well. Agreed that Persona is basically the definitive work from him.

General Dog posted:

I think it was in The Pervert's Guide to Cinema where Zizek described it as the most erotic moment in all of cinema, and even sort of remembering him saying that in the background, I was still :stare: at how amazing it actually was. Got to see Persona for the first time on a newly restored print at the art museum film center and it was really special. Bought the blu the next day.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
ok the Criterion Channel's library is amazing, but my god does their app loving suck at this point. downloads that won't play, streams that won't load, subtitles that aren't a standard feature for English-language content, "continue watching" syncing that seemingly only works within the mobile app or in the browser -> mobile direction, lovely controls and UI for basic functions like rewinding/fast-forwarding, etc

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

It's still early, but yeah, their interface is dogshit. If you know what to look for, it's great. But it's extremely offputting for outsiders.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The app not the greatest, but the library is really good once you find something. First movie I watched was Rashomon as I always wanted to watch it. And it was really good.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
I watched The Seventh Seal last night and loved every frame. Bergmanbinge has officially begun. I think I'm going to watch Wild Strawberries and maybe Through A Glass Darkly tonight.

For as annoying as the UI and lack of Chromecast support is (they actually just updated the Android app to remove the Chromecast functionality, stating that they're going to try to implement it in the future), I've been blown away by the quality of the library and definitely see myself subscribing after the trial period has ended.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

I watched The Seventh Seal last night and loved every frame. Bergmanbinge has officially begun. I think I'm going to watch Wild Strawberries and maybe Through A Glass Darkly tonight.

The Seventh Seal was my first Bergman and I loved it so much that I immediately watched it again with the commentary on. You're in for a treat with the others.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

General Dog posted:

You should check out the scene from Weekend where Jean Luc Godard directly parodies that scene.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I might finally watch my first Godard film tonight, with Breathless.

Bergman talk makes me want to watch a Bergman though. Should I do Smiles of a Summer Night? I've seen Persona and The Seventh Seal.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Does the criterion channel have The Rock?

Because I would find it hilarious to make my first watch on that channel The Rock

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Because I would find it hilarious to make my first watch on that channel The Rock

No.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

that is some bullshit

what about Armageddon

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

I think you'll like Smiles of a Summer Night so go with that, it's more in tone with Seventh Seal than Persona.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

that is some bullshit

what about Armageddon

No Armageddon, no Chasing Amy

Electronico6 posted:

I think you'll like Smiles of a Summer Night so go with that, it's more in tone with Seventh Seal than Persona.

Awesome, thank you. Seemed like a safe bet, since it's the first film in the Bergman box.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

No Armageddon, no Chasing Amy

Boo/Yay

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

My first film watched on Filmstruck was, as a matter of principle, BILL & TED'S BOGUS JOURNEY.

I am sadly unable to recreate this christening with Criterion Channel. :smith:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

cvnvcnv posted:

My first film watched on Filmstruck was, as a matter of principle, BILL & TED'S BOGUS JOURNEY.

The Seventh Seal parody in that film never gets enough credit

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Friends Are Evil posted:

It's still early, but yeah, their interface is dogshit. If you know what to look for, it's great. But it's extremely offputting for outsiders.

I wasn't expecting the app to be on par with Netflix or Hulu, given that they only have a tiny fraction of those companies' resources, but I was at least expecting it to be on par with Kanopy, which is bare-bones (and coincidentally hosts a select handful of films from the Criterion/Janus library) but also perfectly functional in the very basic ways you'd expect a streaming service to be in 2019. hope it gets better sooner rather than later

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The Seventh Seal parody in that film never gets enough credit

Doesn't it, though? Isn't that pretty much the only thing anyone ever talks about in regards to that movie?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

FitFortDanga posted:

Doesn't it, though? Isn't that pretty much the only thing anyone ever talks about in regards to that movie?

Actually a lot of people seem to really like those scenes and William Sadler in the role but without having any idea what it's referencing.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

FitFortDanga posted:

I mean more of that Bill and Ted is always seen as dumb movies when they had they some pretty highbrow jokes

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Basebf555 posted:

Actually a lot of people seem to really like those scenes and William Sadler in the role but without having any idea what it's referencing.

Yeah I think it's absurd enough to be funny even if you don't get the reference

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean more of that Bill and Ted is always seen as dumb movies when they had they some pretty highbrow jokes

Their "Bogus Journey" is a riot of visual invention and weird humor that works on its chosen sub-moronic level, and on several others as well, including some fairly sophisticated ones. 

-Roger Ebert

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

cvnvcnv posted:

Their "Bogus Journey" is a riot of visual invention and weird humor that works on its chosen sub-moronic level, and on several others as well, including some fairly sophisticated ones. 

-Roger Ebert

Yeah but Roger Ebert owned and the fact that nerds hated him obscured the fact he got movies way more often than he didn't

Like, the intro essay for the The Rock Criterion DVD was written by Ebert

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

sciencehuh posted:

If anyone here has any feature requests, or notices any bugs, let me know!

I would like to request that you know that I'm really grateful for what you've done here. Good work.

Also I've watched a bunch of "serious" films to start (because I watch more than enough horror and trash elsewhere) but looking at your list there's pretty much no chance that I won't be checking out RODAN tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Anybody notice that Virgin Suicides is gone now? I added it to my queue the other day and it's disappeared even though Sofia Coppola's short is still there and the main image on the home page is from the movie.