Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Can you really call Lion King live action?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

GrandpaPants posted:

If that counts, so does Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

ixnay posted:

Of course not

They’re doing 3 a year (Dumbo, Aladdin, Lion King)

don't forget the sequel to a live action re-imagining of a Disney animated feature that's coming out in October

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Can you really not see how this is a loving weird choice, though?

At first, yes. But I had the same serious concerns about Jungle Book, which is essentially a similar movie mostly about talking animals. I had no major issue with the way emotion and expression was handled in that movie. They walked a neatly balanced line between realism and practical animation and as a result I think Shere Khan and the wolves in particular made for pretty convincing characters in their own right. Same goes for Bagheera and Baloo. If you haven't seen it I'd recommend watching Jungle Book so you know what to expect with The Lion King.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Thaddius the Large posted:

If that counts, so does Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

It doesn't. Neither does.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Tbh I couldn't get through Jungle Book.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

don't forget the sequel to a live action re-imagining of a Disney animated feature that's coming out in October

Lady and the Tramp is still slated for 2019 as well.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Johnny Depp has cancer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZywiKpuG1g

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

clown shoes posted:

Johnny Depp has cancer.

If only.

Also, that movie looks like garbage that only plays up the drunk rear end in a top hat stories about him lately. What the gently caress are they doing?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I saw the trailer posted at Birth Movies Death and immediately in the comments what were clearly shill accounts for his PR firm jumped in to play damage control, it was truly bizarre.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

feedmyleg posted:

I saw the trailer posted at Birth Movies Death and immediately in the comments what were clearly shill accounts for his PR firm jumped in to play damage control, it was truly bizarre.

Holy poo poo you're right, these comments even here on YouTube are wild.

quote:

Danielle M
9 hours ago
wow my attraction to Johnny Depp has ignited again. That hair, the scruff, the eyes. #swoon

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That looks like a normal comment.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

In the looses sense really. Apparently almost none of the film is actually real.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Eh! Frank posted:

Yeah, animated characters being able to express a wider range of emotions is proof that the Pokémon Movie is superior to Godfather and every other realsie movie.

Hi, when you are at a social get together and there is that moment where you say something and the whole conversation has just turns into a dead zone, I just want to say that is, and always is in your case, on you.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dont think this has been posted but I’m definitely all in on this wave on John Wick / Atomic Blonde style action movies where it’s just people beating the ever loving poo poo out of each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6yTXsCauIc

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Before I clicked I had a pro-ana joke being suppressed in my mind and boom, skinny models.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 11, 2019

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Besson's last good movie was over 20 years ago, so I'm not holding my breath. Any Cillian Murphy is good though and it can't be any dumber than Lucy.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I said come in! posted:

In the looses sense really. Apparently almost none of the film is actually real.

Should've had Pixar do it in stylized 3D instead and call it like The Lion King HD Remake or something.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ariza posted:

Besson's last good movie was over 20 years ago, so I'm not holding my breath. Any Cillian Murphy is good though and it can't be any dumber than Lucy.

I'm still mad at what he did to Valerian. These comics were dear to me and could have made amazing movies dammit.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Valerian was 45 minutes a cool rear end movie and. and a 6 and a half hour annoying bland piece of poo poo.

It felt so endless.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I loved Valerian because I love stupid hats and that movie is a barrage of stupid loving hats flying at you at blinding speed, each one stupider than the last.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Invader Zim has much better stupid hats

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Dont think this has been posted but I’m definitely all in on this wave on John Wick / Atomic Blonde style action movies where it’s just people beating the ever loving poo poo out of each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6yTXsCauIc

Yes, I totally believe someone supermodel thin could totally beat up a room full of guys. Like you could make an interesting action movie centered around a character who is physically weaker than most of their opponents and they have to fight smarter but this definitely does not look like it.

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

Before I clicked I had a pro-ana joke being suppressed in my mind and boom, skinny models.

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1116231811686731776

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Did they replace Marge with a robot?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

There was a thread on Reddit a while back that posed the idea that if you swapped the leads of Passenger (Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence) with the leads in Valerian, both films would have been way more entertaining. I agree with that. Both movies were terribly miscast. Dane DeHaan is not an action hero; he's better at playing the socially awkward weirdo, and Jennifer Lawrence as the sassy secret agent type would have been way more convincing than Cara Delevinge.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I never thought a few second gif loop could perfectly demonstrate what is wrong with modern Simpsons, but yeah. There’s so many things you can point to, it’s so utterly soulless.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

teagone posted:

There was a thread on Reddit a while back that posed the idea that if you swapped the leads of Passenger (Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence) with the leads in Valerian, both films would have been way more entertaining. I agree with that. Both movies were terribly miscast. Dane DeHaan is not an action hero; he's better at playing the socially awkward weirdo, and Jennifer Lawrence as the sassy secret agent type would have been way more convincing than Cara Delevinge.

Yeah, the casting stood out as odd. Both of them are distinctly sleight with distinctly sharp features. It felt like they were supposed to be a new ethnicity or something.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

GrandpaPants posted:

Yeah, it’s actually comparing cartoon animals to shittier cartoon animals

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Did they replace Marge with a robot?

Cherry on top is the superficial and pointless reference at the end to Simpsons when it was good

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Daddy Thanos posted:

Cherry on top is the superficial and pointless reference at the end to Simpsons when it was good

I don't see a Tracy Ullman reference?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Scar looking like a crackhead is a crime. He should be the best looking Lion

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

RBX posted:

Scar looking like a crackhead is a crime. He should be the best looking Lion

scar vs mufasa

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

muscles like this! posted:

Yes, I totally believe someone supermodel thin could totally beat up a room full of guys. Like you could make an interesting action movie centered around a character who is physically weaker than most of their opponents and they have to fight smarter but this definitely does not look like it.

These movies have long passed the point where any of this matters to me. Like John Wick beating up a room full of bigger guys (who conviniently attack him one-by-one or occasionally two-by-two), or out-gunning dozens well armed, trained bodyguards (with their inexplicably slow reflexes, poor aim and his magic bulletproof suit) is only negligibly more belivable than a Luke Beeson waif doing the same. Ultimately suspension of disbelief comes down to how well the performer and direction sells it, more than how well matched the opposing forces would be in reality. With the strength of the John Wick films being the fact that they sell it very well indeed.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Gravy Jones posted:

the strength of the John Wick films being the fact that they sell it very well indeed.

Right here. The way the action is filmed goes miles towards allowing the viewer to accept what's going on without realizing that "hey, this guy should've been dead 30 seconds into the first gunfight." I'll be more than happy to buy Anne's action sequences if they can straddle that fine line of "too fantastic to be mundane; not so fantastic as to insult the audience's intelligence" that John Wick sells so well.

Just for fun, look at action films of yesteryear like Mr. and Mrs. Smith or Equilibrium, and watch how quickly you either lose all investment in the film from the ridiculous, no-stakes "danger" present to the heroes, or actively revel in the comedy of characters standing in the middle of a room murdering dozens of trained gunmen standing ten feet away.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

ChickenHeart posted:

Just for fun, look at action films of yesteryear like Mr. and Mrs. Smith or Equilibrium, and watch how quickly you either lose all investment in the film from the ridiculous, no-stakes "danger" present to the heroes, or actively revel in the comedy of characters standing in the middle of a room murdering dozens of trained gunmen standing ten feet away.

I actually still like Mr. and Mrs. Smith, until it gets to the end fight where yeah, that gets really loving annoying. But I love their fight in the house and they destroy everything they've built up, as well as the great car chase scene as they learn more about each other. "I told you I saw your father on Fantasy Island." Still really fun.

But the final action scene is riddled with the bullshit you mention here and drops the ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I like the second gif but I am disappointed it doesnt continue to have Marges hair flip because that animation looks cool and is funny.