Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Davros1 posted:

Well, in the comic he told the CIA to go gently caress itself.

This is prestige television, you gotta spend at least ten episodes learning your lesson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Cross posting but:

I loved Daredevil but I think they did a poor and inconsistent job showing how his powers worked, especially relating to combat.

They were barely ever touched on at all and were very inconsistently applied. I did a soft re-watch of some episodes I liked and only in the first season (for one episode) do we ever really get a sense of how Matt "sees" and the ways that his powers help him fight. Usually we just get him kicking rear end and taking tons of punishment or, as in the case of the classic hallway fight, it's at least implied that he's "radared" the enemy location and the layout. We got a couple of scenes where he throws the lights off or hears a gun cock or something...

But mainly his primary powers are just sheer attrition, speed and stamina. Then later, better body armor.

I actually think it's one area where the Affleck movie handled this better. It showed us how his heightened senses make him a better fighter and how he can anticipate enemy locations and poo poo.

They showed us this really cool scene that shows us Matt "vision" but it's never touched on again. Even his keen hearing and smell senses only came up a few times and were usually there to show us him struggling to control them or when the plot required it. The Dark Knight gave us a more in depth and visual "radar sense" dynamic. Matt's powers weren't demonstrated enough in this show.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Kinda amazed that the rest of Arrested Development has been out for a few weeks and it's received basically no fanfare. I only just caught it randomly browsing Netflix, so I imagine they're burying it.

Bummer too, given the episodes are still pretty golden.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh wait, that last season was only HALF the season and now the rest of it is out? I didn't even know it wasn't "complete", I figured they just left it on a cliffhanger like they seem to enjoy doing with other seasons.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The second half of season 5 is so much better than the first half that I got whiplash. Some genuinely pretty good jokes and gags but it’s still like a Weekend At Bernie’s of season 3

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

It's absolutely amazing, feels like a complete return to form after the last 1 (point 5?) seasons, and I can't believe they've just dumped it out there without saying anything.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Between Tambor’s past and everyone’s gross treatment of Walters in that interview everyone just wants to walk away and then hopefully Hurwitz will do a big re-edit in like a year and people might actually talk about it then.

At the end of the day though it never gets back to the lightning fast speed and timing of the first 2 seasons, so it really just comes down to what you want to see the characters doing.

But it beats mentioning that there’s LOTS of stuff in in S5 that just didn’t work or wasn’t funny because the actual punchlines are all in the back half.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Red Oktober posted:

It's absolutely amazing, feels like a complete return to form after the last 1 (point 5?) seasons, and I can't believe they've just dumped it out there without saying anything.

I didn’t mind the last half of the season, but the reviews I’ve seen have all been really bad.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
All the reviews, every single loving one, is the exact same “PLEASE JUST LET THIS THING DIE” gobbledegook that people have been saying since S4 aired. Season 5 reestablishes ensemble scenes, it brings back good visual gags, it gives closure and depth and adds to the characters.

I read 3 different reviews and with a gun to my head I couldn’t tell them apart, except that it was super clear that at least one of them was super pissed that Tambor was still in the show.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

All the reviews, every single loving one, is the exact same “PLEASE JUST LET THIS THING DIE” gobbledegook

This is a weird opinion to dwell on, cause this is them letting it die – last eight episodes close everything up in a really great set piece and gives closure to the series.

Sucks that Tambor's behavior and that one interview sank this from getting any adverts - if only for the work the rest of the cast / writers do. By all means it's really good. Like what Bust Rodd's saying, visual gags are great, still plenty of word play, and more intertwined character scenes. Except for Lindsay who is just inexplicably gone for pretty much all of it.

Jessica Walter being surprised by Gene Parmesan is just the best.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Andrigaar posted:

We still have JJ S3 to pick over the bones of. We may not have found the bottom of the barrel yet.

Idk after last season maybe there’s nowhere to go but up?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chokes McGee posted:

I have full confidence that Netflix's writers can find a shovel

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Azhais posted:

I have full confidence that Netflix's writers can find a shovel

If they keep going through the center of the earth they’ll eventually start digging up in any direction :v:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Chokes McGee posted:

It's possible you haven't seen the last several seasons of Netflix's Trailer Park Boys. Or Netflix's Marvel. Or that war crime of a Cloverfield movie.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Trailer Park Boys is a heartbreaker. I was as diehard of a fan as you could be, I went to live shows and got their autographs and everything, I didn’t think I’ve watched a single episode of the Netflix originals, and everything you hear online is that the show just sucks balls to do now and if you aren’t one of the big 3 main guys then your basically working for SAG min. wage.

The post-Mortem blog post by Corey or Trevor is one of the most heartbreaking things online, IMO.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

counterfeitsaint posted:

It's possible you haven't seen the last several seasons of Netflix's Trailer Park Boys. Or Netflix's Marvel. Or that war crime of a Cloverfield movie.

Always more, always worse

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Bust Rodd posted:

Trailer Park Boys is a heartbreaker. I was as diehard of a fan as you could be, I went to live shows and got their autographs and everything, I didn’t think I’ve watched a single episode of the Netflix originals, and everything you hear online is that the show just sucks balls to do now and if you aren’t one of the big 3 main guys then your basically working for SAG min. wage.

The post-Mortem blog post by Corey or Trevor is one of the most heartbreaking things online, IMO.

I vaguely remember reading that, towards the end of the original run they were basically treating Corey and Trevor's actors the way they treat their characters. I don't blame the one that refused to come back for leaving.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That wasn’t the issue so much as they basically turned production management over to a singular person and she was, by all accounts, a uniquely terrible, greedy, and incompetent person.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bust Rodd posted:

That wasn’t the issue so much as they basically turned production management over to a singular person and she was, by all accounts, a uniquely terrible, greedy, and incompetent person.

Don’t doxx me

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Not technically Netflix but I just got back from a special movie theatre showing of S0201-02 of cloak and dagger. It’s pretty good imo! Mayhem is gonna be fun as poo poo as a character

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Ytlaya posted:

is Iron Fist also an idiot in the comics?
No. The show is real bad.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FRINGE posted:

No. The show is real bad.

They finally realized how to be fun in the last 3 minutes just in time to be canceled!

E: also it introduced Typhoid and if that’s all we remember it for I’m okay with that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It occurred to me in the shower this morning:

Is anyone in The Punisher S2 actually getting punished for anything?

I feel like S1 was exclusively about punishment and going after the guys who wronged Frank.

S2 is just Frank loving up some hicks, then some Russians, then some vets, none of whom had anything to do with Frank really.

Basically lots of pain and violence, but very little actual punishing.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Bust Rodd posted:

It occurred to me in the shower this morning:

Is anyone in The Punisher S2 actually getting punished for anything?

The audience.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Xealot posted:

I've heard similar things. And I honestly can't fathom why, other than race, they'd do that.

solved it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
people actually think the back half of Arrested Development S5 is a significant improvement on the first half? to each his own, I guess

back on topic, I'm surprised JJ S3 doesn't have a date yet, but I imagine it'll be by the end of June

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They’re going to push it out the door quietly to die in the hot summer sun.

Whether or not you’re a fan of JJ, the show is almost by definition a huge bummer-saurus.

Barry Convex posted:

people actually think the back half of Arrested Development S5 is a significant improvement on the first half? to each his own, I guess

Yeah but I’m also the guy that thinks the original edit of S4 is actually really good and clever and I lost a ton of respect for Mitch for recutting it to be objectively less funny. He seriously cut all of the funniest jokes.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bust Rodd posted:

They’re going to push it out the door quietly to die in the hot summer sun.

Whether or not you’re a fan of JJ, the show is almost by definition a huge bummer-saurus.

After last season they’re going to have to try really loving hard to get me back on board and based on their track record I don’t have high hopes

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cracky Trish was the worst thing in a pretty bad season 2 so now we get even more of it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

qirex posted:

Cracky Trish was the worst thing in a pretty bad season 2 so now we get even more of it.

My sincere hope is that JJ2 bottomed our so hard they have no choice but to go up and if they keep going down it gets into absurdity so I’m willing to see what happens either way

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just literally make all of season 3 the subplot from the comic where J Jonah Jameson hires her to figure out Spider-Man's secret identity, and she just spends the money/time on doing a bunch of charity work instead. He gets pissed off and threatens to sue and Robbie has to quietly remind him that suing somebody for volunteering her time to sing to sick children is probably not a good look for the paper.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Spider-Man and JJ would be a dope team up because the bad guys would literally quit mid fight from getting dunked on by the nuclear powered snark squad.

The Noodle Incident
Aug 23, 2007
I DON’T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT!
This is sort of Netflix Marvel adjacent, but if you are looking for a quality superhero show that's also fun, check out The Tick on Amazon Prime.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Have you watched season 2 yet? I saw some middling remarks, but haven't started yet.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
It's good. I like it more than Season 1.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Andrigaar posted:

Have you watched season 2 yet? I saw some middling remarks, but haven't started yet.

If you’re expecting the cartoon you’ll be disappointed, if you’re expecting literally anything else it’s great

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I really liked the first season, so I'm just asking if the new season strikes gold again or not.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Andrigaar posted:

I really liked the first season, so I'm just asking if the new season strikes gold again or not.

It's a more low key storyline but still good.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I liked The Tick S2 more than S1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
At this point it really feels like Netflix is holding JJ season 3 back out of spite. I wonder if that 18 month timer starts after the last episode that is released.