Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah but Roger Ebert owned and the fact that nerds hated him obscured the fact he got movies way more often than he didn't

Like, the intro essay for the The Rock Criterion DVD was written by Ebert

The thing I loved about Ebert is he knew what a film was trying to do. He didn't rank a silly comedy on the same scale as you would rank the Seven Samurai. He appreciated the film for what it did successfully.

That's the thing about him that I think a lot of movie critics just don't have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

InfiniteZero posted:

I would like to request that you know that I'm really grateful for what you've done here. Good work.

Also I've watched a bunch of "serious" films to start (because I watch more than enough horror and trash elsewhere) but looking at your list there's pretty much no chance that I won't be checking out RODAN tonight.

Oh hell yes, I completely forgot about all the Godzilla flicks.

They even have War of the Gargantuas!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Almost Blue posted:

Anybody notice that Virgin Suicides is gone now? I added it to my queue the other day and it's disappeared even though Sofia Coppola's short is still there and the main image on the home page is from the movie.

I checked for it on the first day and I don't think the movie was ever actually there, though it showed as a "collection". See my post earlier in the thread.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Cemetry Gator posted:

The thing I loved about Ebert is he knew what a film was trying to do. He didn't rank a silly comedy on the same scale as you would rank the Seven Samurai. He appreciated the film for what it did successfully.

That's the thing about him that I think a lot of movie critics just don't have.

the other thing is that people do not realize he did commercial criticism and academic criticism

the two thumbs up thing was literally him trying to decide if the movie appealed to the audience it was trying to appeal to. He also had a separate academic canon that was gorgeous. His Great Movies essays are wonderful.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

the other thing is that people do not realize he did commercial criticism and academic criticism

the two thumbs up thing was literally him trying to decide if the movie appealed to the audience it was trying to appeal to. He also had a separate academic canon that was gorgeous. His Great Movies essays are wonderful.

I just wish he "got" the Friday the 13th series. Or David Lynch. Or Terry Gilliam.

But no, ol' Roger's gonna give four stars to Anaconda instead.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Franchescanado posted:

I just wish he "got" the Friday the 13th series. Or David Lynch. Or Terry Gilliam.

But no, ol' Roger's gonna give four stars to Anaconda instead.

He actually appears on a documentary included with the Final Destination 3 DVD about the history of slashers where he talks about his Friday comments in hindsight

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

He actually appears on a documentary included with the Final Destination 3 DVD about the history of slashers where he talks about his Friday comments in hindsight

No friggin way.

I'd like to find that and post it in the horror thread. But I don't own that DVD, nor will I.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

No friggin way.

I'd like to find that and post it in the horror thread. But I don't own that DVD, nor will I.

I'll try to find it

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I have FD3 in one of those cheapo 4-film DVD sets, not sure if it has extras though.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Found the documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idELl0Q5OxE

Its called "Dead Teenager Movie"

He talks about how he realizes his issue wasn't so much the violence as how it had become derivative as a narrative

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Found the documentary

He talks about how he realizes his issue wasn't so much the violence as how it had become derivative as a narrative

Oh hell yeah. Good work. I'll watch it when I get home tonight.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
https://www.instagram.com/officialspikelee/p/BwHxFVQH743/

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

https://www.reddit.com/r/criterion/comments/bc5i38/full_browsable_list_of_films_coming_to_criterion/

quote:

Hi,

A comprehensive browsable list of films is in the works and will be available within the week! You will be able to see all the films in alphabetic order or to filter them by director, country, or release date. A genre filter is also in the works and will be released a little later.

Please stay tuned,

Kseniya

What a weird decision not to have this feature at launch haha

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Not to undersell their capabilities, but Criterion is essentially a boutique video label and launching the channel, even in the state that it’s in, was probably a massive undertaking.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Not to undersell their capabilities, but Criterion is essentially a boutique video label and launching the channel, even in the state that it’s in, was probably a massive undertaking.

They also clearly bought and repurposed part of it, hence every movie and its extras being labeled as seasons and episodes

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
holy poo poo Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters. what an amazing film

Also enjoying the Columbia Noir series

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Barry Convex posted:

holy poo poo Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters. what an amazing film

Also enjoying the Columbia Noir series

yeah that movie turned me onto Mishima as an amazing author

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Hello I am here to recommend everyone watch Kaili Blues. It's a seriously impressive debut and from what I've heard so far about his latest film Bi Gan is definitely someone worth paying attention to whatever he does next. Didn't find it as slow as the Tarkovsky and Hou influences might make one expect and It's been a couple days now and I still can't get it out of my head. It's a good time for them to get it up too, as Long Days Journey Into Night opens in the US this weekend.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Ask and ye shall receive:
https://films.criterionchannel.com/

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I wish clicking led to the collection instead of straight to the movie but baby steps.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
And it'd be nice if it was available in-app and not just desktop.

Also, Canadian here, it's a bit of a bummer that there are quite a few titles not available here (The Brood, Mikey and Nicky, etc.). I mean, I have no shortage of options, obviously - and I know rights are an issue across the border - but it's always a little frustrating.

Still, enjoying it otherwise. Watched John Woo's Last Hurrah for Chivalry, which was a lot of fun.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Ratedargh posted:

And it'd be nice if it was available in-app and not just desktop.

Also, Canadian here, it's a bit of a bummer that there are quite a few titles not available here (The Brood, Mikey and Nicky, etc.). I mean, I have no shortage of options, obviously - and I know rights are an issue across the border - but it's always a little frustrating.

Still, enjoying it otherwise. Watched John Woo's Last Hurrah for Chivalry, which was a lot of fun.

I just finished Last Hurrah as well. Really liked it, but the app kept crashing during the final fight until I eventually just had to watch the last 3 minutes or so with the error code overlay. Fix your poo poo Criterion!

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I just finished Last Hurrah as well. Really liked it, but the app kept crashing during the final fight until I eventually just had to watch the last 3 minutes or so with the error code overlay. Fix your poo poo Criterion!

Same exact poo poo happened to me while watching The Big Heat.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Oh man, that sucks. What are you using? I found watching on my laptop before I picked up a new Apple TV was nigh unwatchable. With the Apple TV, I haven't had any problems yet (just watched Tokyo Drifter for the first time...man, Seijun Suzuki was wild).

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Origami Dali posted:

Same exact poo poo happened to me while watching The Big Heat.

Happened to me with terror of mechagodzilla this morning, don’t think it’s tied to certain videos

Edit: I did notice that the minute tracker does not include anything after the error, so you can’t fast forward into it and the movies appear to be several minutes shorter than they are. I was on roku app, which played nightfall and dragon inn just fine, and I watched experiment in terror on iPhone with no issues

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 13, 2019

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I finally bit the bullet and bought a FireTV.

I dunno why I expected the UI to be cleaner than a Roku. :doh:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Ratedargh posted:

Oh man, that sucks. What are you using? I found watching on my laptop before I picked up a new Apple TV was nigh unwatchable. With the Apple TV, I haven't had any problems yet (just watched Tokyo Drifter for the first time...man, Seijun Suzuki was wild).

Roku app

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I've watched a few movies so far on the android tv app (nvidia shield) and no problems at all. Actually seems smoother than the old filmstruck app, which would occasionally desync the audio slightly. Also the english closed caption subtitles don't look awful now.

SgtSanity
Apr 25, 2005
Excuse me
So far, the Roku app is behaving way better than the old Filmstruck app ever did, which constantly desynced and had audio clicks.

They’ve admitted it was put together in a rush, to try and limit the span of unavailability after Filmstruck shut down. Vimeo is doing the backend work.

Good indiewire profile w/ the Criterion president Peter Becker: https://www.indiewire.com/2019/04/criterion-channel-after-filmstruck-1202056861/

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I want to watch any movie that’s even remotely like Guava Island

It weirdly made me think of Medium Cool a lot

Unmature fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 14, 2019

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

SgtSanity posted:

So far, the Roku app is behaving way better than the old Filmstruck app ever did, which constantly desynced and had audio clicks.

They’ve admitted it was put together in a rush, to try and limit the span of unavailability after Filmstruck shut down. Vimeo is doing the backend work.

Good indiewire profile w/ the Criterion president Peter Becker: https://www.indiewire.com/2019/04/criterion-channel-after-filmstruck-1202056861/

So that’s why my criterion channel bookmark’s icon changed to Vimeo’s the day the channel launched?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

This is my jam. Only had a couple of Criterion LDs, but I kept the best ones:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just finished watching Mishima: A Life In Four Chapters. That was a fascinating movie. 80s Japanese cinema was a gorgeous aesthetic. I saw it on Criterion Channel, my first watch on the new service. The Blu-ray box is probably the most eye catching in the entire Collection but I always thought it was a documentary for some reason.

I kinda wanna read some of his work. Is it worth it? What's good?

He was clearly a Japanese right wing radical so I don't know if it would be the Japanese equivalent to reading The Turner Diaries or something. I don't know what the current day view of him is these days.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Found the documentary

this along with his daily show interview was some of the last recorded footage of ebert speaking :(

i always thought he was overreliant on pointing out plot holes as substantive criticism but considering how lovely the critical landscape has gotten since his death he's dearly missed.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just finished watching Mishima: A Life In Four Chapters. That was a fascinating movie. 80s Japanese cinema was a gorgeous aesthetic. I saw it on Criterion Channel, my first watch on the new service. The Blu-ray box is probably the most eye catching in the entire Collection but I always thought it was a documentary for some reason.

He was clearly a Japanese right wing radical so I don't know if it would be the Japanese equivalent to reading The Turner Diaries or something. I don't know what the current day view of him is these days.

Criterion also released Mishima's short film Patriotism on DVD, which includes the short story in booklet form.

I'm not familiar with his literary work, but I agree that Schrader's film is magnificent. For that matter, Patriotism is pretty amazing, too, considering it was the only thing Mishima directed. But yeah, it seems pretty right-wing, down to the film being scored with 78s of Wagner...

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

If you have time for only one book, The Sailor Who Fell From Grace with the Sea

If you have time to invest, you cannot beat his Sea of Fertility series (Spring Snow/Runaway Horses/Temple of Dawn/Decay of the Angel)

Come ask about him in the TBB lit thread, we loving love Mishima

As for his being a right wing radical, I forgive him for having the raddest suicide on earth

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh weird, there's no Kindle edition of The Sailor Who Fell From Grace with the Sea. Spring Snow is only $2 so I'll give it a shot.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I too forgive the guy who wanted to return Japan to imperialism and took hostages before offing himself, so cool.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Peacoffee posted:

I too forgive the guy who wanted to return Japan to imperialism and took hostages before offing himself, so cool.

If you cannot sit back and appreciate a dude trying to overthrow Japan with an army of literal samurai with katanas made up of his young gay lovers who then commits seppuku when it fails you are a huge loser hth

Like, you are like "he took hostages! qq" but you ignore it was one hostage, it was a general, and he did it with SWORDS

best part is that his favorite lover was his second but hosed up cutting off his head so it took like three tries and he was so ashamed that he then too committed seppuku as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

like if a dude tried to return the US to the monarchy by taking over the pentagon with a bunch of twinks dressed like the three musketeers holding the president hostage with rapiers I would be like "well played"