Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

WaryWarren posted:

The boomers were raised by the Greatest Generation. Doesn't seem like they were so great after all. :smug:

Great at killing nazis but so bad at raising kids it evens out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Great a killing Nazis and great at raising Nazis.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Casey Kasem

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Glenn Quebec posted:

My dad is 81 years old and super rad. He has bad political opinions but turned in his republican card after Trump got elected.

73 is the cutoff for boomers

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Starting a job at 18 and working 30 years and then retiring around 50 with millions of dollars and thinking it was because you just worked harder than the generations after you.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Drunk Nerds posted:

73 is the cutoff for boomers

He's too young for WW2 though. What the gently caress does that make him? Also explains why he's so rad.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

shut up netface posted:

The Phoenix area has maybe the most powerful Boomer energy I’ve ever felt.

What type of rear end in a top hat builds a loving golf course IN A DESERT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYt0SDnrBE

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

He's too young for WW2 though. What the gently caress does that make him? Also explains why he's so rad.

Silent Generation, which is basically people who were born before the war but became adults after it was over.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Bonaventure posted:

silly boomers, you can't see boobs on the radio!

Howard Stern built an empire doing this.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Fister Roboto posted:

Silent Generation, which is basically people who were born before the war but became adults after it was over.

Pretty cool that my family skipped the worst generation possible. My sisters are Gen X and I'm the older end of millennial.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Church

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
My dad made $8/hour (53 in 2019 dollars) painting houses in 1970 while paying $400 (2700) per semester to get his engineering degree lmao

Lord_Brand_X
Nov 3, 2009
My grandparents purchased their three bedroom, two bath house for 17,000.

In northern California.

Mightyclaw
Mar 9, 2005

What rough beast, his hour come round at last, slouches towarc Bethlehem to sell 'em a load of clams?

Drunk Nerds posted:

In the early 2000s, style guides changed from recommending two to recommending one. Two looks better in a handwritten or typed note, one looks better on screens

Wait a minute, how do you put two "spaces" after a period in a handwritten note?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mightyclaw posted:

Wait a minute, how do you put two "spaces" after a period in a handwritten note?

Comic Sans

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Mightyclaw posted:

lmao look at this clueless boomer :rolleyes:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Lord_Brand_X posted:

My grandparents purchased their three bedroom, two bath house for 17,000.

In northern California.

Even if you factor in the ridiculous interest rate back then its still a steal.

lol I just remembered that my grandfather (1911-1990) sold some stock in order to give $5,000 US (in 1973) to my mom and dad so that they could get their first house. Luckily my parents never said or say about how easy they had it.

Someone brought up "The Greatest Generation" earlier. I don't know about everyone else but it seems that most people in this generation were very distant and not nurturing parents. That goes a long way to explain some boomer behavior. My cousin and I were talking the other day about how no one in our family, going all the way back to great-grandmothers, never said "I love you" to anyone.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Mightyclaw posted:

Look at how much space you leave between words in a sentence and double it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Boomers often seem to romanticize avoiding your children. They'll get nostalgic about how their parents made them play outside from sun up to sundown but this just feels like an excuse to be alone. Nothing wrong with that sometimes, but you can't exactly call it good parenting when your parenting is kicking your kid out of the house during daylight hours so you can booty bump Qualuudes and spend the afternoon in a fugue state.

They'll criticize millennials for being helicopter parents yet in spite of the fact that most couples can't afford to be single parent households, both parents (particularly fathers these days) are collectively more involve with their kids.

A lot of the nostalgia Boomers have about their parents was probably half assed "I've ignored my son all month maybe I should push him on the tire swing a few times to make up for it".

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bonzo posted:

Even if you factor in the ridiculous interest rate back then its still a steal.

lol I just remembered that my grandfather (1911-1990) sold some stock in order to give $5,000 US (in 1973) to my mom and dad so that they could get their first house. Luckily my parents never said or say about how easy they had it.

Someone brought up "The Greatest Generation" earlier. I don't know about everyone else but it seems that most people in this generation were very distant and not nurturing parents. That goes a long way to explain some boomer behavior. My cousin and I were talking the other day about how no one in our family, going all the way back to great-grandmothers, never said "I love you" to anyone.

There was actually a period in the 50's and/or 60's where the advice fad for parenting was that you couldn't show your children affection. I don't recall what the details were

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Yeah, it is weird how cold parenting used to be. Some boomers decided they wanted to be nice and make their children feel good about themselves. Later they started criticizing the gently caress out of them for accepting the "participation trophies" that they themselves created and distributed.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Whining about gas taxes. I NEVER SEE THEM FIXING THE ROADS

Maybe you would if you drove anywhere? You also bitch incessantly about driving through road work too.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Being in a relationship long enough for it to get stale without ever finding it they both like pina coladas

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

skooma512 posted:

Whining about gas taxes. I NEVER SEE THEM FIXING THE ROADS

Maybe you would if you drove anywhere? You also bitch incessantly about driving through road work too.

Here in Wisconsin the boomers loved it when Scott Walker refused to raise the gas tax because that'd be antithetical to the core tenets of the GOP. Instead he borrowed 800 million to make up the shortfall. So now we get to pay interest and let future citizens pay for it while ignoring the fact that there will be maintenance costs in the future as well. So fiscally responsible.

Conservative boomers are literally going to destroy everything.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
Killing my kids with their mush brains

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Squack McQuack posted:

Killing my kids with their mush brains

My dad used to tell my sister that the only criterion she should use when voting is "who is going to keep more money in your dad's pocket "

The selfishness is just absurd.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Bonzo posted:

Buying music via mail order from commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eGWW8KOQio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9awpv5BnSc

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008
Corvette ownership

Women with long, flat asses in bikinis

“Bolt-ons”

Side eyeing interracial couples

their love for Queen (their greatest hits only) despite the homo stuff

Barefoot Zinfandel

Jeans with bedazzled rear pockets

Cigars

Participating in expensive hobbies but never actually using the poo poo (ie jet ski ownership)

Finished basements with a fully stocked bar, complete with a 50” rear projection tv for when their friends come over (they don’t)

STrooperTK421
Aug 1, 2010

shut up netface posted:

...snip...

Jeans with bedazzled rear pockets

Now I'm not 100% on that one. My Cal I/II professor wore jeans like this sans panties and drat was that woman STACKED. The bedazzles shining in the light as she moved that perfect rear end back and forth in front of the dry erase board was quite the hypnotic experience, and she was certainly not a boomer.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

STrooperTK421 posted:

Now I'm not 100% on that one. My Cal I/II professor wore jeans like this sans panties

Uh, how do you know this?

STrooperTK421
Aug 1, 2010

Leon Einstein posted:

Uh, how do you know this?

Through simple observation over time. That gal never had a panty line which did not go unnoticed by several other guys (and two girls) in the class.

Good stuff!

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

STrooperTK421 posted:

Through simple observation over time. That gal never had a panty line which did not go unnoticed by several other guys (and two girls) in the class.

Good stuff!
Why do you thonk thongs exist?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
You guys are all fully aware that we will undoubtedly be the Boomers to the next generation, right

poisonpill posted:

Great a killing Nazis and great at raising Nazis.

lmao

STrooperTK421
Aug 1, 2010

Leon Einstein posted:

Why do you thonk thongs exist?

That question was posted by one of the other guys, and it was the two gay girls that chimed in on this. According to both of them, thongs still show if you know what look for.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Play posted:

You guys are all fully aware that we will undoubtedly be the Boomers to the next generation, right

lmao

The next generation will view us as odd decadent ancients that lived in sky high towers and ate actual food

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Having a whole floor of the house they never go to because of ailments.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

shut up netface posted:

What type of rear end in a top hat builds a loving golf course IN A DESERT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSfnt0RmjXQ

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

shut up netface posted:

Women with long, flat asses in bikinis

I don't mind this. I like the Millennial version with the bikini replaced by a hiked up pair of jeans. :swoon:

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
sitcoms. I have never met anyone who actually watches sitcoms who isn't a boomer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
You mean multicam sitcoms I presume.