Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I always ran a screwdriver or something around it to get an idea where to cut. Honestly, grip taping a board seems a lot more difficult than it is. You might gently caress it up once or twice, but, once you get it down, it becomes the easiest part of putting together a board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Thanks, y'all :h: I'm really excited to get on a board, I'll try to post pics/videos of me being a 6' 7" buffoon on a miniramp.

And where are all the 9" boards :mad: Had to get a blank like a dummy.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
idk if anyone mentioned this but cut the grip from below for an easy smooth line when pulling the razor back towards you

you can always go back and trim the little bits off that weren't 100% until you learn the ocd art of filing it just enough but not too much so that your 45 degree angle meets no resistance

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Ling shot maybe, because you'd have probably mentioned it but do you have a skate shop near you? I got my first (and still only) board a few years ago and they were super helpful and assembled everything for me. They pressed the side of a screwdriver around the sides before cutting, then smoothed out the cut.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
We have a few around town, but I also wanna do it myself just to know how, since I'm old and dumb.

If you haven't seen the "Scabs for Slabs" video it's phenomenal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46KQl9d8wpo

Pedro Delfino is a crazy person and I love him.

JamesWestfall
Mar 29, 2010

Just got back into skating for the first time in 10 years (27 now) and its a lot rougher then I imagined but I'm also trying to break myself from skating goofy mongo again. I also don't remember every tiny rock being such an obstacle, still it's fun though.

If any of you are in the Columbus, Ohio region and want to skate hit me up.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
What's with all us olds goofy mongoing??

JamesWestfall
Mar 29, 2010

I have no idea but it's a curse that's for sure. Takes longer to get in stance and the front of the board is going all over the place.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I push mongo if I'm riding switch, which is basically never because I'm old (30) and lame now.

JamesWestfall
Mar 29, 2010

How much does pushing mongo really matter? Because it's been a real bummer relearning to push when I could be doing something more fun.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

JamesWestfall posted:

How much does pushing mongo really matter? Because it's been a real bummer relearning to push when I could be doing something more fun.

How can you live with the disapproving looks from the youths? You can't.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

JamesWestfall posted:

I almost posted my terrible opinion earlier so I'll just go ahead and do it now:

skateboarding is for fun and you should do it because it's fun. I like look poo poo a lot when I do my dumb "tricks" and I don't care because that's not why I do it...That being said...

There are dudes that rip and push mongo but I find that it's real hard to ignore the mongo push. It's always there regardless of whatever else they do.

It's just hard to watch someone to push like that for an hour or two. It makes skating harder to do and by extension makes it harder to watch, it fights the aesthetic of what smooth skating seems to be.

there's a reason this is a classic photo

practical advice: every time you are out try to push regular for a bit, don't make a big deal of it..just do it a little bit each time.

switch mongo doesn't bug me because from my frame of mind that's going backwards/fakie and it makes total sense to handle it that way.

please don't take any of this as being critical of you are anyone that pushes mongo, it rules that you skate and we could skate together if we were near, the criticisms above are just my gut reactions and I would never be critical like that in person unless someone really really wanted to hear it.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

JamesWestfall posted:

loving ignore everyone

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Holy moly this thread is a decade old.

I picked up my first board twoish years ago and I'm 28 now lol. didn't get out on it much last year since I moved but now that it's getting warmer out I'm thinking about giving it another shot. Considering just riding to the bus stop instead of walking and that sort of thing. It's hard to make time and motivate myself without someone else to skate with. I used to hang out in parking lots and take turns on my friend's longboard but I also want to get ollies down and eventually do a kick flip or something.

Also there's a new small skate park near my house now that I want to check out, but again it's hard to motivate myself to get out on my own and also I am only comfortable just cruising on flat ground right now.

I know the basic advice is to just keep at it, ride as much as you can on your way to things and make it convenient/a habit, so I'm mostly just venting to people who maybe get where I'm coming from.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

YOU HAVE BEEN VISITED BY THE GHOST OF LOVE PARK

IF YOU DON'T POST SWITCH MONGO IS FOR KOOKS IN THIS THREAD

RICKY OYOLA WILL COME AND KICK YOUR rear end

JamesWestfall
Mar 29, 2010

UFOTacoMan posted:

I almost posted my terrible opinion earlier so I'll just go ahead and do it now:

skateboarding is for fun and you should do it because it's fun. I like look poo poo a lot when I do my dumb "tricks" and I don't care because that's not why I do it...That being said...

There are dudes that rip and push mongo but I find that it's real hard to ignore the mongo push. It's always there regardless of whatever else they do.

It's just hard to watch someone to push like that for an hour or two. It makes skating harder to do and by extension makes it harder to watch, it fights the aesthetic of what smooth skating seems to be.

practical advice: every time you are out try to push regular for a bit, don't make a big deal of it..just do it a little bit each time.

switch mongo doesn't bug me because from my frame of mind that's going backwards/fakie and it makes total sense to handle it that way...

The main problem I'm having is that pushing with my right leg is comfortable but standing with my left leg at the tail is also most comfortable so it's been a struggle then again I don't think any of this comes that easy.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

JamesWestfall posted:

The main problem I'm having is that pushing with my right leg is comfortable but standing with my left leg at the tail is also most comfortable so it's been a struggle then again I don't think any of this comes that easy.

You probably just need to find that comfortable spot for your front foot and figure out how to keep control of the board while you put weight on it. The way you place your board foot for mongo and regular is way different. Mongo back foot placement usually has your heel right over the top of the back bolts with your foot being in the middle and almost parallel to the board.

Regular foot placement for the front foot kind of keeps the foot at almost 45 degree angle a good bit behind the front bolts, so the balance works a little different than mongo, you kind of lean into the board a little more and somehow compensate for the board wanting to turn due to the lean, but it's tricky finding the right spot to keep your foot in. This is the toughest part for me about pushing regular switch, is finding the right spot to keep my front foot in so that I don't loose my balance when pushing.

It might be helpful just to ride around balancing on just your front foot with your back foot off the board to help you find the right foot placement.

Don't sweat any of this but if you want to learn to push regular I would encourage it. It makes things easier in the long run and it looks nice.

Stan Taylor posted:

Holy moly this thread is a decade old.

I picked up my first board twoish years ago and I'm 28 now lol. didn't get out on it much last year since I moved but now that it's getting warmer out I'm thinking about giving it another shot. Considering just riding to the bus stop instead of walking and that sort of thing. It's hard to make time and motivate myself without someone else to skate with. I used to hang out in parking lots and take turns on my friend's longboard but I also want to get ollies down and eventually do a kick flip or something.

Also there's a new small skate park near my house now that I want to check out, but again it's hard to motivate myself to get out on my own and also I am only comfortable just cruising on flat ground right now.

I know the basic advice is to just keep at it, ride as much as you can on your way to things and make it convenient/a habit, so I'm mostly just venting to people who maybe get where I'm coming from.

good for you...you are still young. Keep going, try to ollie a whole lot, it takes a lot of trial and error. Skateboarding is hard and takes lots of practice.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
If you're old and not likely to go pro or ride around in a van to go skating....just keep doing it who gives a poo poo

If you're not old and want to skate street spots and whatnot....you may want to train your brain to push normal

Ultimate compromise: just skate transition where you don't have to push anyway

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

UFOTacoMan posted:

good for you...you are still young. Keep going, try to ollie a whole lot, it takes a lot of trial and error. Skateboarding is hard and takes lots of practice.

This is the truth. On the bright side, once you learn to ollie, you'll be able to ollie (assuming you can still jump). No matter how long I've gone between skating, be it weeks/months/years, I've never lost that muscle memory.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm convinced that staring at skate videos for hours on end actually does help you get better at skating. Like not as much as skating with people better than you but it's something.

I landed like three super clean tre flips today hell yeah.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
There's definitely something to "just do it how it looks" when it comes to skateboarding. Although I feel like flip tricks benefit the least from it lol.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Whenever I convince myself that "it must be this deck! It's lost all of its pop!", I just go find one of those videos of dudes doing legit flip tricks on trucks that are mounted to a literal 2x4.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

I had a very pathetic ollie when I used to skate 20 years ago but after a few years of watching skateboarding videos and braille how to stuff I can go outside now and pop higher then ever as a mid thirties computer toucher. Something very real about learning from watching and not necessarily doing.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
in the late 80's I tried hundreds, maybe even thousands of kickflips in my garage. I was doing them so wrong. I sure wish I had access to youtube tutorials back then.

The first time I even heard of a "kickflip" my friends were telling me they met this guy skating at the city fireworks on 4th of July and he was from out of town and he did kickflips....his name was Rex.

I was very confused...."you mean you kick the board and it flips but it's like an ollie....????" I couldn't imagine it. it seemed impossible.

This also highlights how even though we skated everyday we were still kind of in this space where the skate media didn't quite make it into our rural southern bubble.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
If could beam a single message back in time to my young skateboarding self it would be: do not practice anything standing still ever. Would have saved me years of wasted time.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Does anyone else remember that segment Nickelodeon used to run where it was some British guy explaining the concept of an ollie and how it works mechanically?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

I had all of the monthly skate magazines that had the still pictures of a trick in progress and still had no idea how to actually kickflip for so long since I only inlined at skateparks and never skateboarded. Echoing youtube. Man I would have been so much better if I had video tutorials back then. This summer is going to be the summer of the treflip for me.

I wouldn't mind sharing dumb progress videos with another old. Motivation and whatnot.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Garfu posted:

I had all of the monthly skate magazines that had the still pictures of a trick in progress and still had no idea how to actually kickflip for so long since I only inlined at skateparks and never skateboarded. Echoing youtube. Man I would have been so much better if I had video tutorials back then. This summer is going to be the summer of the treflip for me.

I wouldn't mind sharing dumb progress videos with another old. Motivation and whatnot.

Treflips are the center part of a Venn diagram titled Tricks That where the circles are labeled "look dope as hell" and "I could realistically learn"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

It still feels like a magic trick when it happens.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
So got the grip tape on:

Followed a little bit of everyone's advice: chilled the tape AND deck, applied it without getting any bubbles, marked off the edges using a screwdriver, and used a utility knife to cut off the excess! What NONE OF YOU TOLD ME (and what probably should have been obvious) is that when one is attempting to apply the tape, do NOT use unprotected fingers. My fingerprints don't work to unlock my phone anymore.

Needed to paint SOMETHING on the bottom of the deck:

I'm too tall for skateboarding and my feet are too big (size 13) but I'll ADAPT ( :rimshot: ) and have a great time falling over on a mini ramp all day tomorrow wearing every piece of protective gear I own.

scuz fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 18, 2019

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

hope that's not like rattle can spraypaint because that poo poo is sticky as gently caress

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

That grip tape is rad

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Thief posted:

hope that's not like rattle can spraypaint because that poo poo is sticky as gently caress
It is, and it is! Lucky for me I'm like a year away from being able to do boardslides or rock to fakies or tail slides so it has plenty of time to find stickers or whatever. Any recommendations for paint type?

XIII posted:

That grip tape is rad
It sure loving is. I woulda got a Thank You deck to go with it if they made one in 9" :(

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

scuz posted:

What NONE OF YOU TOLD ME (and what probably should have been obvious) is that when one is attempting to apply the tape, do NOT use unprotected fingers. My fingerprints don't work to unlock my phone anymore.

WHen I was real young I tried to rub something off of my griptape with wet fingers and didn't realize what I was doing until like 10 mins into it

:whitewater:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Use a clear coat with a similar base (caustic/oil/water) as the paint you used to deal with the sticky paint surface.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

WHen I was real young I tried to rub something off of my griptape with wet fingers and didn't realize what I was doing until like 10 mins into it

:whitewater:
Yeah, I'm sittin here using a mousepad with a wrist rest. Turns out I used the heel of my hand at a few points and it feels oh so gross.

Zigmidge posted:

Use a clear coat with a similar base (caustic/oil/water) as the paint you used to deal with the sticky paint surface.
Yup, the paint I used was Rustoleum Lacquer high gloss for the black and Rustoleum "2x Ultra Cover Clear Gloss" for the top coat. A buncha searches just told me "use spray paint" so that's what I did :shrug:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Right on, there's nothing wrong with anything you did. If you ever want to do something similar again, don't feel limited by spray paint. Wood is paper before its been pulped - anything you can do on a sheet of paper will work on wood. Skateboards are phenomenal canvases.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

scuz posted:

So got the grip tape on:

Followed a little bit of everyone's advice: chilled the tape AND deck, applied it without getting any bubbles, marked off the edges using a screwdriver, and used a utility knife to cut off the excess! What NONE OF YOU TOLD ME (and what probably should have been obvious) is that when one is attempting to apply the tape, do NOT use unprotected fingers. My fingerprints don't work to unlock my phone anymore.

Needed to paint SOMETHING on the bottom of the deck:

I'm too tall for skateboarding and my feet are too big (size 13) but I'll ADAPT ( :rimshot: ) and have a great time falling over on a mini ramp all day tomorrow wearing every piece of protective gear I own.

congrats on not messing up the tape
:rip: your fingats

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
First thing I did was try to drop in on the mini ramp and ate poo poo twice but later I managed to ollie for the first time ever :toot: Lots of people were pretty helpful and I constantly felt like I was getting in the way but that's more my problem than theirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

scuz posted:

It is, and it is! Lucky for me I'm like a year away from being able to do boardslides or rock to fakies or tail slides so it has plenty of time to find stickers or whatever. Any recommendations for paint type?

the easiest workaround is to take a piece of wax and just rub it all over your deck where you start to get scrathes and it will eventually slide smooth as a screen printed board

if im at a park that has a lot of metal coping i will sometimes even just straight up wax my trucks lol

alternatively the universal answer to most things in skateboarding is to simply go faster