Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Franchescanado posted:

"Oids...Oids...I like...Snake-oids!"
"Yeah! Or Suck-oids!"
"YEAH!"

“We need a distraction.”

“Hey Melvin, you wanna make a quick buck?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Nope, but it'd be a perfect choice for a UHD release.

I did a full marathon of all 6(?) movies last May. It was a pretty fun ride overall, even if none of the sequels really come close to the original.

5... Bloodlines? The one in Africa with Jamie Kennedy? Is actually OK I thought? Like not, "the actors are in frame and I can hear dialog" good, but actually "I am enjoying my time watching this" good.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Easy Diff posted:

5... Bloodlines? The one in Africa with Jamie Kennedy? Is actually OK I thought?

That one is ok, but then there's a more recent one that takes place in the Artic that was pretty bad. I remember my main criticism was that Burt has kinda changed as a character and was more of a nasty curmudgeon than he used to be.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

It was definitely aggravating that just by making a single sound they'd have a near perfect lock on you forever. I mean there's a point where one of the monsters is just listening, but then at other points they have a solid lock on who made the sound.

Seriously, you should be able to throw a rock at a tree and be fine, or maybe live next to a waterfall.

Actually yeah, they even bring up how waterfalls block the noise so much that you can talk normally near them and be just fine. But they decided to live out in an isolated farmhouse in complete silence instead?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

Actually yeah, they even bring up how waterfalls block the noise so much that you can talk normally near them and be just fine. But they decided to live out in an isolated farmhouse in complete silence instead?

Well, this is pretty clear in that the parents are trying to provide as much of a "normal" life for their children, to provide some semblance of structure and society. They could make an encampment next to the waterfall, but the farm house is their attempt at normalizing the situation in face of the absurd truth that the world they know is gone.

Also, it's pretty clear that they are one among many survivors who have settled in this network of farms, and are able to communicate through signals with each other. Again, trying to cling to survival and normalcy in the face of absurdity.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Michael Gross peed on by lions is the most insulting thing I’ve ever seen in a movie

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Easy Diff posted:

Gremins II

Mimic

From Dusk Till Dawn

Tremors definitely in the conversation, though.

Gamera trilogy, and I don’t see how you can not count dinosaurs

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Are we just talking monster movie, or are giant monsters on the table too?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
When I posed the question I wasn’t thinking of kaiju movies, probably because I don’t watch them very much.

edit : For the record I’d put Tremors way above any Gamera movie I’ve seen, I don’t care if he’s friend to children.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Burkion posted:

Are we just talking monster movie, or are giant monsters on the table too?

I always thought of Tremors as a giant monster movie. The tentacles are just its tongue after all. I'd put Tremors in the same category as stuff like Deep Rising and Q the Winged Serpent.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Drunkboxer posted:

When I posed the question I wasn’t thinking of kaiju movies, probably because I don’t watch them very much.

edit : For the record I’d put Tremors way above any Gamera movie I’ve seen, I don’t care if he’s friend to children.

90s Gamera is not the same as 60s/70s Gamera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxXZPeeTivk

They're real good, but just tremendously different than Tremors. They're basically impossible to compare.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Living near a waterfall is a lot less convenient than having an actual house in basically every other way than the noise masking.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Easy Diff posted:

Roger Ebert only loved two things: kids movies that kids really liked, regardless of if they were enjoyable for the parents and big fukken titties :sonia:

Considering he partnered with Russ Meyer to do Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, it's pretty much a given that Ebert loved the tatas.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
In another chapter of Adlai Stevenson's Day Off, I just watched As Above, So Below for the first time

You know how I was saying earlier that if I get into a movie's groove then I'm basically okay with whatever happens? I loved this movie. It's 100% in my wheelhouse. I was shaken a little when things started to Get Weird but once I keyed in to what precisely was happening (when the piano showed up) I was snug as a bug in a rug for the remainder of the runtime.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Silence is pretty forgettable so far and really goofy, but lol at the beginning when the woman with the baby is made to get off the subway train.

Also this film's problems were totally solved halfway through by just leaving a Woodchipper running.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Turns out that video games can be art after all.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
As Above So Below. Love that movie. And yeah I know its flawed but its so loving fun. When she's just jogging through the spookies like it's a haunted house it's pretty hilarious in a good way.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, so the conversation got me to watch A Quiet One before I got more spoiled than what I accidently read. I liked it. Didn't love it. Its not something I'll probably rewatch or call a classic or anything. But its really well directed and acted and I jumped at EVERY SINGLE scare jump. I love a good tense horror.

And I'm generally not someone who sits around generally judging the people for making mistakes or being imperfect, or looking for plot holes. I don't worry about snoring or farting. All the snorers and farters and loud shitters people with hayfever and tourettes all died 400 days ago. That seems easy. And I'm not bothered that one sound doesn't draw them. Its pretty clearly laid out that there's an unknown number in unknown locations so you might just get lucky or unlucky. I didn't much care about the nail. Nails come loose, you don't notice it until you notice it. And sometimes people make mistakes and have stuff on their mind.

I enjoyed it. Maybe it had flaws I'm not thinking about that will occur to me when I'm looking in the fridge. But I enjoyed it.
I'm content with that.

Franchescanado posted:

I just thought that the waterfall scene would contribute to more than just a quick character bonding moment. Seemed like that was going to lead to something in the final act.
It did, actually. The mom and baby hide from the creature in the flooded basement by climbing under the "waterfall" being created by the busted pipes.. I thought that was a perfectly satisfying thematic followup.

Franchescanado posted:

Also, it's a little crazy that, with everyone that has guns, none figured out that you should shoot the monsters in the "mouth" while it was open. Seems like that would have been an early tactic to try by, say, armed forces or police.
The problem with that is obviously that even if you can manage to nail them prone when they're not paralyzed in pain from a certain sound frequency you're not aware of the second you pull the trigger you've now made a huge noise that would attract more to you. So unless you're ready for a massive firefight that you don't really know when will end you might be hesitant to pull the trigger. And I imagine they went through that phase early on and it clearly didn't work out.

edit: And it just passed my most important horror test. I took the garbage out in the middle of the night, noticed how quiet it was, and jumped a little when I made a noise. Then I very slowly rushed inside hoping no one noticed my silliness.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Apr 12, 2019

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I watched Tremors recently and it holds up really well, if you've never seen it before or just haven't seen it recently you really should check it out.

It manages to be both scary and funny without the humor ruining the scares or vice versa.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Just finished sitting through Housed on Amazon Prime. It's currently sitting at 4 stars and listed as a horror comedy. After what I just sat through, there's no way it's a horror comedy, it's just stupid to a degree that I think I might've lost more brain cells than whatever I've lost over the years from when I used to toke up. The storyline is the recordings of a vlogger at a college party when a simultaneous zombie outbreak and mass demonic possession happens. You'd think there'd be some potential in that, but Sweet God...I've sat in libraries that were more interesting. Seriously, to call it a no effort film is an understatement. I've seen student films from back in the day on Super8 that put more effort than what was shown in this film.

Effects are some dribbles of red around the mouth for zombies, even after a month of shambling around and for the fully possessed, it's just jet black makeup covering the face that makes bad drow cosplay look professional. Wounds are just red splattered on clothes with rips and even with a zombie digging in, thier hands are clean. I've done better effects with homemade lasagna for crying out loud. If it wasn't for the time screen fades, you wouldn't know this film is supposed to be happening over the course of a month instead of a few hours since no one looks any different beyond maybe a change of clothes from the party the film starts with. The acting is non existent that I've seen more talent from grade schoolers with a phone camera. I even wonder if there was anything so much as some notes scribbled on a napkin for a script for how unfocused rambling it is. This film was so lackluster I had to go read the reviews to see how the hell did this one have 4 stars. Pretty much it's a blitz of fake reviews since checking a few of the reviews praising this dreck either have this film as thier only Amazon review or gave the same excessive praise to another of the director's films on Prime which is just as flawed.

This film so stupidly bad, there is no amount of booze or drugs possible to make this even so bad it's smirkworthy.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Gejimayu posted:

As Above So Below. Love that movie. And yeah I know its flawed but its so loving fun. When she's just jogging through the spookies like it's a haunted house it's pretty hilarious in a good way.

I loved that part, it felt like some dreams I’ve had, where fighting through horrors becomes like work or something. “Avoid the spooky chair... push the zombie... look out for the bloody hands... aand repeat”. Lol at that poor zombie thing who just kept getting shoved over.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
What does everyone think the next horror craze is gonna be? We seem to be wrapping up the found footage craze and zombies are puttering around but what's next?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OldTennisCourt posted:

What does everyone think the next horror craze is gonna be? We seem to be wrapping up the found footage craze and zombies are puttering around but what's next?

Big-budget, sumptuous period pieces. Think J'accuse but John Malkovich is a werewolf.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The next craze is river and/or lake monsters

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
personally I'm hoping for rubber puppet monsters to come back into style. Ghoulies, Critters, Gremlins, shoot them all right into my veins

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

gey muckle mowser posted:

personally I'm hoping for rubber puppet monsters to come back into style. Ghoulies, Critters, Gremlins, shoot them all right into my veins

I hope you're a wrestling fan then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gvqArR7nlA

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Looks like it's the relative of Turkie from Thankskilling.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

Probably movies where like a lady opens up a can of Diet Coke, but there's no coke in there. It's just filled with teeth. Or maybe a movie where a man is having a mid-life crisis and he buys a fancy sports car, but later on he checks the glove compartment and there's just a bunch of human teeth in there. Then again it may be movies where a college student tries to make the perfect baked alaska for her friends because they all like watching cooking shows, and she slaves away on it all day and her friends come over to partake of the creamy dessert but there's no ice cream inside the baked alaska, there's just human teeth.

Could be any of these types of movies imo.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 12, 2019

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
https://twitter.com/DailyDeadNews/status/1116040657813090306

very fun movie

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If I had to choose one subgenre to see more of it's always going to be creature features. There's always a few being made here and there but it's never enough, I always want more. And I don't care about CGI vs. practical nearly as much as I care about the results. A well done creature is a well done creature.

Close second place would be gothic horror ala the Hammer style that I love so much. In the recent past we've basically had Crimson Peak and....not a whole lot else. My hopes aren't high on that one though, just like how I've accepted that the Western isn't ever going to have a true resurgence. We have to just enjoy what we get every once in a while and then wait for the next one a few years later.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I want stop motion to make a comeback

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

"Zombie Comedy" is a shortcut to a hard pass from me but this was dope.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I want some animal attack movies, maybe kicked off by a Cujo remake that keeps the original book ending.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

gothic horror ala the Hammer style that I love so much. In the recent past we've basically had Crimson Peak and....not a whole lot else. My hopes aren't high on that one though, just like how I've accepted that the Western isn't ever going to have a true resurgence. We have to just enjoy what we get every once in a while and then wait for the next one a few years later.
A Cure for Wellness was a fascinating arch-gothic thriller that approximately nobody saw but I liked a lot. When it was over, I couldn't help thinking "that was a great movie, but also I can see exactly why it made no money"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I want stop motion to make a comeback

It's definitely a specific itch that modern movies don't scratch. When I feel like watching a Harryhausen I have to actually watch something Harryhausen made, he really had no successor. That happened to me on Saturday, I watched The Golden Voyage of Sinbad.

Easy Diff posted:

A Cure for Wellness was a fascinating arch-gothic thriller that approximately nobody saw but I liked a lot. When it was over, I couldn't help thinking "that was a great movie, but also I can see exactly why it made no money"

I actually had a longer post that I edited where I mentioned A Cure for Wellness, so you're definitely right on. Love that movie.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Easy Diff posted:

It needed an editor and a new ending imho

Like, I hate high concept horror and scifi stories that end with "there is a big angry unstoppable guy you have to run from in the third act"

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Easy Diff posted:

I think it got discussed around here at least for a little while when it came out. I enjoyed it too, although I remember thinking it was too long. Some beautiful shots though.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Basebf555 posted:

If I had to choose one subgenre to see more of it's always going to be creature features. There's always a few being made here and there but it's never enough, I always want more. And I don't care about CGI vs. practical nearly as much as I care about the results. A well done creature is a well done creature.

Close second place would be gothic horror ala the Hammer style that I love so much. In the recent past we've basically had Crimson Peak and....not a whole lot else. My hopes aren't high on that one though, just like how I've accepted that the Western isn't ever going to have a true resurgence. We have to just enjoy what we get every once in a while and then wait for the next one a few years later.

Did you watch cure for wellness

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It needed an editor and a new ending imho

Like, I hate high concept horror and scifi stories that end with "there is a big angry unstoppable guy you have to run from in the third act"

I liked Hereditary switching out big angry guy with "mentally ill mom is mad you didn't do the dishes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

DeimosRising posted:

Did you watch cure for wellness

Own it on blu ray actually, so yea a shameful omission on my part. Still, they are few and far between.