Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I said it before, but Titania's the one level I never managed to get the medal on. It drives me nuts to this day. Thorn made it look really drat easy.

I actually enjoy using the Landmaster though. The plot conceit for using it is practically non-existent, but I like the idea--let's take a bunch of spare Arwing parts and build a loving tank out of them! Sure it's kinda janky and the G-Diffuser barely works, but man, it's a tank.

I may be easily amused by that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
At least Thorn has an in-game excuse for using the Landmaster this time: His Arwing's probably undergoing repairs after losing a wing in the previous mission.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I didn't know Slippy would make an appearance if he was taken out beforehand. That's hilarious.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I do remember finding Spyborg utterly terrifying as a kid. That kind of poo poo is weird when you're 6.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Dr Christmas posted:

I didn't know Slippy would make an appearance if he was taken out beforehand. That's hilarious.

Yeah, I vaguely remember one time I shot him down myself to try to bypass that event (yes, I sucked at Star Fox) only to have him pop up anyway. He doesn't even care if he already died earlier in the same stage, he'll still show up and get knocked away like a baseball.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

chitoryu12 posted:

I do remember finding Spyborg utterly terrifying as a kid. That kind of poo poo is weird when you're 6.
He is, and he's also quite a hard boss in general, because if he knocks your wings off (and he's very good at that), you're suddenly at a massive disadvantage. And you're almost certainly not going to save Slippy.

And then you land on Titania, and for me at least, that's the hardest level in the game. I always was excruciatingly bad at it, and it's vindicating that even someone capable of doing a medal run on it just says "gently caress it" to hovering over the fallen columns because it's just too finicky. There's so much STUFF in that level that my health always just drained away before I could get anywhere close to the boss, and that fucker itself is also quite hard to take down well. That tail sweep attack is murder (again, because the probably most intended way is to hover over it).

I did eventually beat it, and it felt amazing to overcome that challenge, but boy did I not think that the blue route was the "easy" one...

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Honestly Titania scarred me so badly that it made me get better at the game, and from that point onwards I always destroyed Spyborg quickly so Slippy wouldn't gently caress me over, because god, child me did not like the Landmaster at all. I doubt adult me would like it much either, in a game with pretty good controls, the Landmaster does not have them.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Add another to the list of Titania scarring me. I remember Game Overing to that world after struggling desperately through sector X so I resolved to play Fortuna over and over again until I got good enough to Accomplish it and go to Solar / Macbeth instead.

I never took that route again until I was 18 and came back to the game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Yeah, Fortuna into Solar and Macbeth (then lower route from there) is a way better recipe for success than the pure blue alternative.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So I forget what happens if you clear Sector X with Slippy safe and then choose to do Titania anyway. Does the game still treat it as if Slippy’s downed? Because I know other routes have relatively minor changes if you succeed at the mission and then take the failure route option anyway, like StarWolf just not showing up at all on Bolse if you murdered the poo poo out of them on Fortuna, etc.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

nine-gear crow posted:

So I forget what happens if you clear Sector X with Slippy safe and then choose to do Titania anyway. Does the game still treat it as if Slippy’s downed? Because I know other routes have relatively minor changes if you succeed at the mission and then take the failure route option anyway, like StarWolf just not showing up at all on Bolse if you murdered the poo poo out of them on Fortuna, etc.

Slippy being down *is* the plot of Titania, so it does just treat it as if he went down anyway. If Slippy is okay, the team has absolutely no reason to go to Titania at all, so there's no real way to fudge that.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

BlazetheInferno posted:

Slippy being down *is* the plot of Titania, so it does just treat it as if he went down anyway. If Slippy is okay, the team has absolutely no reason to go to Titania at all, so there's no real way to fudge that.

Exactly. In fact, while recording I got the Mission Accomplished but diverted to Titania to continue the route, then when Fox said "I can't leave Slippy hanging!" I had to backpedal and figure out what the hell I missed.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
It's called fraud. The Star Fox team just dumps Slippy on the planet as a way to squeeze a few more thousand space bux from General Pepper over their "rescue" operation.

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
We already committed fraud by counting blasted small asteroids in Meteo as "kills."

Lulti fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 12, 2019

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Look, the Cornerian Army Anti-Andross Review Board wasn't there, they don't know how many of them actually had guns and were shooting at Star Fox. They were a legitimate threat!

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

EponymousMrYar posted:

Look, the Cornerian Army Anti-Andross Review Board wasn't there, they don't know how many of them actually had guns and were shooting at Star Fox. They were a legitimate threat!

To be fair, asteroids the size of a VW Beetle are a pretty legitimate threat to a starfighter.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

KieranWalker posted:

To be fair, asteroids the size of a VW Beetle are a pretty legitimate threat to a starfighter.

Especially that close together without pulverizing themselves to powder. Clearly Meteo is an Andross weapon.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Anyone complaining about difficulty in this game has never played the original SNES game. It makes 64 look like a joke.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TheFattestPat posted:

Anyone complaining about difficulty in this game has never played the original SNES game. It makes 64 look like a joke.

I was able to break StarFox 64 over my knee after my first few loops through the game. It's been 20 years and I still can't even get past Sector X on Route 2 on the original SNES game.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Are you emulating this? I ask because it's running really well and without any of the glitches that N64 emulators usually introduce. I remember picking this up again a few years ago and being unable to get past the next stage after Titania because of those glitches.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

TheFattestPat posted:

I used to have a snes with a handful of games, super mario world, mario all stars. Sadly it all got stolen.

Except for my copy of Star Fox, for whatever reason. One day I'll finally find a SNES in a pawnshop that I can confirm is functioning.

I should probably clean this cartridge. Including the marker of my name cause FAT GOOD THAT DID FOR THE OTHER SNES GAMES

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Star Fox was my first SNES game. I played it so much that I can still reliably beat any of the stages without getting owned decades later.

And then when I got Lylat Wars some years later, the cycle started anew.

I remember doing a dumb run through the game for the challenge thread 8 years ago. Where the challenge was to not fire on enemies until both your wings were destroyed, on expert mode. You can completely avoid the alternate vehicle levels with the right path, so no freebies.
The challenging bit is that you're stuck with single laser and your aim is hosed. Also you start off with reduced health from slamming into poo poo to break your wings.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Easy Route concludes... not that easily.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Interesting bit of trivia for the golem boss: If you keep the fight going for about 10 minutes, a wall will appear in front of you (which the boss clips through) that you will crash into and die. But the game is nice and gives you a life right before you smack into the wall.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
First time at played this was when a friend brought it to my house. We got to Venom easily and couldn’t figure out how to beat Andross. We thought we had to do the bomb attack in his mouth, and as the fight stretched on and we farmed bombs from the rocks, we wondered if we just had to do it a certain number of times or do something while he was stunned or what. We never just shot him in the eyes before getting tired of it.

On expert mode, easy Venom is the hardest level in the game IMO. Just a constant stream of lasers catching you in between barrel rolls.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Your impressions are accurate and funny. Great stuff.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Expert mode venom is spamming R just as much as A.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Did you know that getting inhaled by Andross can't kill you? It'll bring you to 0 shields, though.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Fun bit of trivia: If you do some dividing on the amount you're paid in the ending by the number of units you kill it turns out you're being paid 64 whatevers for every enemy you shot down.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Add Andross to the list of bosses that terrify the poo poo out of children. Somehow the easy version is scarier than the hard version.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Add Andross to the list of bosses that terrify the poo poo out of children. Somehow the easy version is scarier than the hard version.

Its the deranged janky robot face after all his skin melts off that does it. Nobody's scared of a big dumb brain that just floats around the room like a doofus.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The wobbly jobbles of Andross made him hilarious to me. Even after everything gets blown off I remember getting hit by him more because I was still laughing at the wobbly jobbles than anything else.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

Its the deranged janky robot face after all his skin melts off that does it. Nobody's scared of a big dumb brain that just floats around the room like a doofus.

And when you're a kid in the 90s, you don't get any loving warning. There's no YouTube videos or Facebook posts to spoil it. You shoot Andross enough and suddenly there's this twitchy giant robot monkey head flying at you and trying to eat you.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Those days you found out cheats and secrets from your one extra-nerdy friend who had Nintendo Power. Or it was just passed down through the ages. How did everyone learn IDDQD and IDKFA? The answer is lost to time.

I could get every medal pretty easily (though Sector Z was still a crap shoot as we will find out), but I never learned until I decided to search YouTube for high score runs that hitting enemies with unlocked charge shots would get you more points than if you locked on, which allows optimized runs where you can get double the medal score. Apparently it is possible to get a medal on easy Venom if you do that.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 15, 2019

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I didn't really play any N64 games until the DS/3DS era, but I've always been impressed to see how many of the games still seem to stand up.

I've made a couple attempts at Starfox 64 on the Wii Virtual Console, but... playing it with a Classic Controller has not been ending well for me, and most of the stuff on YouTube has been speedrunners or high-score runs.

This series is exactly what I think I needed to get back into giving it another few tries.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I know you guys aren't huge comic fans but man I'm still shocked there wasn't a single Venom joke throughout the entire video. Not an Agent Venom or anything.

chitoryu12 posted:

And just think, only 17 years later someone would be inspired to make Five Nights at Freddy's based on that.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
Back in this time, Nintendo didn't really have to worry too much about game reviewers missing secrets because they had their own magazine for it - Nintendo Power. The N64 era is when Nintendo really started losing their stranglehold on the market, though, so maybe other magazines didn't cover it until after Nintendo did. I wonder what the readership for Nintendo Power was compared to other gaming magazines of the time?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The Tetris part of Venom, and the "This reminds me of your father" line are references to the Venom level from the first star fox, which was heavily constituted of incredibly dickish geometry attacks in a similar vein.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I can't remember if I've ever even made it to Venom in the original Star Fox. Game's fuckin' hard.

I have it, but I can't actually remember when the last time I played it was. S'been a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Lots of neat stuff carried over from the first game. The Venom music, the beginning of the level with Fox flying towards the ground, and then into Andross' base at the end. They aren't as talkative, but Andross has a pretty sweet line with "Your father was a reckless fighter too..." It's also one of the very few times anyone mentions James in that game.

I love Area 6, but I kind of wish 64 had a second, harder Venom level like the first game had.