Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doZzrsDJo-4

This video is really what got me to subscribe to john bois.

https://www.sbnation.com/2015/3/31/7979801/bill-belichick-offseason-simulator

That and the bill belichick offseason simulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I'm honestly glad that he's putting the OsT to his videos, but I'd love to get the song at the start of his "The dumbest boy alive" video.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Kunster posted:

I'm honestly glad that he's putting the OsT to his videos, but I'd love to get the song at the start of his "The dumbest boy alive" video.

It's on this page, and its name is "Crisis".

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011

Inco posted:

Thanks. This is a good resource. I've been trying to figure out the song that plays during the mugging story from "Why Do I Do This For A Living?"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

moviebob is the kind of idiot that loves to be political but doesn't actually dig deep into any of it and just repeats received wisdom. the republican base is suburban and exurban whites not poors but the media treats trump's (and thus the republican) base as a bunch of uneducated rubes when it's actually the most comfortable people the world has ever produced. (poor people generally don't vote and certainly not at the numbers that the middle class or rich do.)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

moviebob is the kind of idiot that loves to be political but doesn't actually dig deep into any of it and just repeats received wisdom. the republican base is suburban and exurban whites not poors but the media treats trump's (and thus the republican) base as a bunch of uneducated rubes when it's actually the most comfortable people the world has ever produced. (poor people generally don't vote and certainly not at the numbers that the middle class or rich do.)

take it to cspam, this thread is for internet personalities god drat it. no one even posts moviebob's stupid videos, they just want to talk about his tweets. go to the idiots on social media thread if you wanna do that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyqjTZHRdRs

Instead let's talk about how we can't stand those people who put the interlace mode on their TV and turn everything into a 60 fps nightmare

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

WampaLord posted:

take it to cspam, this thread is for internet personalities god drat it. no one even posts moviebob's stupid videos, they just want to talk about his tweets. go to the idiots on social media thread if you wanna do that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyqjTZHRdRs

Instead let's talk about how we can't stand those people who put the interlace mode on their TV and turn everything into a 60 fps nightmare

Is that the digital smoothing feature that makes everything look like it was shot on video? My parents have it on all the time and it drives me crazy. It turns every movie into an early-80s soap opera.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is that the digital smoothing feature that makes everything look like it was shot on video? My parents have it on all the time and it drives me crazy. It turns every movie into an early-80s soap opera.

I always call it the soap opera option. My grandparents keep turning it on even after we show them how to turn it off and they say "oh that looks so much better"!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Yes, and there is a special circle of hell reserved for those who inflict it on others. If they just prefer watching it that way when they're alone, whatever, no harm no foul (except to their own foolish brains), but turn that poo poo off if you're gonna watch a movie with other people, grandma! :argh:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jenny has found True Art.

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1116730151721738240

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Inco posted:

It's so weird that googling for that directly didn't give me like the direct link somehow. Thank you so much, this has been a mystery for 2 years!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Does a video having a high like count have an effect on the Youtube algorithm?

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

bessantj posted:

Does a video having a high like count have an effect on the Youtube algorithm?

Yes, the better the likes the more likely the video's going to be promoted. In fact, this goes for dislikes too - likes and dislikes are both treated the same in YouTube's system, so if a video gets mobbed by dislikes in order to get it down the search results or whatever, it actually has the opposite effect and brings it up.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kim Justice posted:

Yes, the better the likes the more likely the video's going to be promoted. In fact, this goes for dislikes too - likes and dislikes are both treated the same in YouTube's system, so if a video gets mobbed by dislikes in order to get it down the search results or whatever, it actually has the opposite effect and brings it up.

Thanks and bravo Youtube, bravo. Also I asked this before and don't know if you answered it before so sorry if you have but that stick figure at the start of your videos is it a game character or something you've designed?

bessantj fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 12, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its funny that it is common knowledge that downvoting only helps the creator, but god drat people are insistent on brigading a video

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

bessantj posted:

Thanks and bravo Youtube, bravo. Also I asked this before and don't know if you answered it before so sorry if you have but that stick figure at the start of your videos is it a game character or something you've designed?

It was something I designed ages ago in like 5 minutes. Not the best thing but it stuck :)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kim Justice posted:

It was something I designed ages ago in like 5 minutes. Not the best thing but it stuck :)

It's pretty cool, it looks like a character from a very old adventure game with a bow in one hand and a sword in the other.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I keep seeing a channel called 'NitPix' in my recommends, is it any good?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm going to preemptively brace for the wave of Star Wars video discussions in the coming week.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
8 more months of buildup to this god damned movie.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

New PhilosophyTube on Jordan Peterson is incredible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEMB1Ky2n1E

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Leal posted:

Its funny that it is common knowledge that downvoting only helps the creator, but god drat people are insistent on brigading a video

I don't think it's that common knowledge. I'd also assume that any brigaders that know about the algorithm thing either think, "Viewers will see how disliked the video is and know it is bad," or "Creator will see how disliked the video is and feel sad."

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm going to preemptively brace for the wave of Star Wars video discussions in the coming week.

I'm quite looking forward to hot takes of how women and those dastardly minorities continue to wreak havoc on these star wars

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

bessantj posted:

There are quite a few videos I like of his but the mobile game advertising in his videos are really off-putting. You also have to deal with some of the usual stuff from an “angry” YouTube video maker but overall I think he’s pretty good.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

McCloud posted:

I'm quite looking forward to hot takes of how women and those dastardly minorities continue to wreak havoc on these star wars

It's very exciting what the chuds will claim as 'insider knowledge' about how the movie will turn out. I hear Rey dies in the first ten minutes!

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

God give me strength

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1frnmTRUats

Nitpix is good. (follow Dikpix too)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

God give me strength

https://youtu.be/7-t2n_jk1QM

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Part of me wants to kinda browse through 1M+ sub channels looking for stuff I had no idea people wanted, but I'm not sure what is the work of bots or what's genuine.

I have to imagine there are 1.1 Million people who sub to the guy whose channel is entirely dedicated to cataloging and eating every form of military MRE.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Arist posted:

New PhilosophyTube on Jordan Peterson is incredible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEMB1Ky2n1E

Holy poo poo dude's Peterson impersonation

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
I think ContraPoints has rubbed off on the man somewhat, by the looks of it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

To a degree I feel like this is the kind of thing he's wanted to do for a while. He's been into theater for a really long time and I think Contrapoints probably opened the door for him to be like, "Wait, I can be educational and theatrical at the same time?"

I know some people here don't like his turn into the theatrical but I enjoy it for the most part.

And yeah, that Jordan Peterson impression was hilarious. I especially enjoyed his little attributions on the on-screen text of the quotes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea he's always been a theater dorkus he's only just seen 'oh cool so I can just be a theater dorkus and do left stuff, cool'

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

He dresses up in costume a lot and cracks some joke, but he still delivers his essay at a quick pace. I'm like this new Olly Philosophy

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea it's good, I'm a fan of this trend of 'yea dress up and have fun but try to stick to the core idea without a bunch of skits and all'.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

bessantj posted:

I keep seeing this as well and it's for a video about why the new Doctor Who is bad, which makes me trust this Nitpix person about as far as I can throw given that this is the season where they cast a lady as Doctor Who.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Old Swerdlow posted:

There are quite a few videos I like of his but the mobile game advertising in his videos are really off-putting. You also have to deal with some of the usual stuff from an “angry” YouTube video maker but overall I think he’s pretty good.

Mr Phillby posted:

Nitpix is good. (follow Dikpix too)

Cheers.

FreezingInferno posted:

I keep seeing this as well and it's for a video about why the new Doctor Who is bad, which makes me trust this Nitpix person about as far as I can throw given that this is the season where they cast a lady as Doctor Who.

That's the video I keep seeing and it's eighty odd mins as well.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Spark That Bled posted:

I think ContraPoints has rubbed off on the man somewhat, by the looks of it.

On CuriousCat Olly posted:

Hi! What triggered the change from the more "Philosophy 101" educational videos you started with to the more creative ones? I personally love seeing the effort put in with videos like these, but was there a key influence or did it come about naturally? :)

Cosmonaut Part II will explain that sudden shift, but I actually started out making more creative stuff with costumes and characters in my first few years. The majority of my subs found me while I was at drama school because I hit a critical mass where YouTube started recommending my videos more; because I didn’t have a lot of time then I was making simpler stuff so that’s the style some people remember. I actually see the reintroduction of the weird jokey stuff and theatrics as a return to form rather than a new direction.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

FreezingInferno posted:

Their response to the 'SJWs ruining my scifi with representation' argument is 'Dr Who has always been progressive gently caress off'. I thought it was a decent breakdown of why they were disapointed with the latest season (just like how they were disapointed with some earlier seasons).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

To be fair I've seen a lot of people being disappointed with the latest series of Who, and I've seen almost none of those people lay the blame for that at the feet of Jodie Whittaker. People seem to have a lot more problems with the general story lines and showrunning.