Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm a fan of the person just stone-cold getting a glass of blood from the tap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Captain Quack posted:

What is this? Piano pants???

Yes. Yes they are.

Slutty pianos make baby Jesus cry.

Antivehicular posted:

I'm a fan of the person just stone-cold getting a glass of blood from the tap

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Ah yes, the lesser known 5th horseman of the apocalypse: pratfalls

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

somewhere, ted cruz just orgasmed.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Your link is broken. Right-click the image you want to share and select "copy image location/url/address" and paste that into your post.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Sighted while rummaging around a second-hand book shop: A guide on how to become a television forum moderator...

...and a comic book with an oddly-disconcerting ad for its long-defunct Australian publisher on the back cover. (The comic itself was a reprint of Tarzan newspaper strips from the US.)

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

The Kins posted:

Sighted while rummaging around a second-hand book shop: A guide on how to become a television forum moderator...

Oh man, I bet this one has some awkward and hilarious pictures inside.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The Kins posted:

...and a comic book with an oddly-disconcerting ad for its long-defunct Australian publisher on the back cover. (The comic itself was a reprint of Tarzan newspaper strips from the US.)

How many times can YOU spot the name "Murray"!

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Furry Murray was a cat.
Furry Murray wore a hat.
Furry Murray was a really
Shameless self-promoter, wasn't he?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

This book is exceedingly rare, but I've finally found a copy after years of diligent searching:

The reason that it's so rare is because it was the first real anti-scientology book, and L. Ron Hubbard himself ordered his idiot followers to not only destroy every copy they could find, but also attempt to ruin the author's reputation and literally try to drive her insane:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Freakout

The IRS decision to declare scientology a tax-exempt religion is high on the list of the dumbest loving things the U.S. government has ever done, and that's a long list.

On a lighter note, this is a book by the cartoonist who draws Bizarro, mainly about staying with strangers during a publicity tour, during which time he also finds out his wife is cheating on him. I used to have a copy, but got rid of it at some point. As so often happens, I've wanted to read it again, so here we are:

Not a book, but I figured I'd share it anyway. My friend's brother used to have a 45 rpm record with the theme from the 1967 Spider-Man cartoon, and I've been looking for a copy for almost 25 years. I can find no trace of it online, and would have thought it didn't even exist if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes and heard it with my own ears back in high school. I don't actually know if this is the same record, and don't currently have a record player to listen to it so I don't even know if it's the classic theme song, but after searching unsuccessfully for a quarter century I figured I'd risk buying it anyway:

This isn't a book either, but it's too drat weird not to share:

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Not a book, but I figured I'd share it anyway. My friend's brother used to have a 45 rpm record with the theme from the 1967 Spider-Man cartoon, and I've been looking for a copy for almost 25 years. I can find no trace of it online, and would have thought it didn't even exist if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes and heard it with my own ears back in high school. I don't actually know if this is the same record, and don't currently have a record player to listen to it so I don't even know if it's the classic theme song, but after searching unsuccessfully for a quarter century I figured I'd risk buying it anyway:

I don't think that is the TV theme.

https://www.discogs.com/Ron-DanteWebspinners-The-Amazing-Spider-Man-From-Beyond-The-Grave-A-Rockomic/release/10030266

You tube has the full recording

-> a link to the "Theme" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-61kPB1-mA&t=328s

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Holy poo poo, that's terrible! Not what I was looking for, but I am not disappointed.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
Libraries apparently will often get self-published books mailed to them unsolicited by the author. My college library would just dump them on their "free books" rack by the door. There were some interesting titles, I wished I'd saved some.

For content have the esteemed Massachusetts businessman Lord Timothy Dexter. Among his many notable accomplishments he wrote a book, A Pickle for the Knowing Ones

Dexter was very wealthy but had little education. His book had poor spelling and grammar and absolutely no punctuation.

When readers complained, he added this footnote:

The industrial district in Newburyport is named after him and if you want a copy the local bookstore keeps it in print!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Pekinduck posted:

For content have the esteemed Massachusetts businessman Lord Timothy Dexter. Among his many notable accomplishments he wrote a book, A Pickle for the Knowing Ones

Yes! When I was little I had a copy of The World's Greatest Cranks and Crackpots which appears to be the source of the bulk of that wikipedia article.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Still more intelligible than 80% of Youtube comments.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Pekinduck posted:

For being what seemed to be an arrogant loving idiot, this last bit was brilliant.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I went back to the book shop.

The most horrifying of crafts gets a book all its own...

A selection of back issues of a magazine published by the British Army. Quite what they were doing in an Australian suburb is anybody's guess.

Another UK magazine. This one's on Archive.org if you're looking for that absolute banger of a type-in Battle of Trafalgar BASIC game for your ZX81.

GOING TO HELL WITH THE SPEED OF AN ARROW

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Pekinduck posted:

Libraries apparently will often get self-published books mailed to them unsolicited by the author. My college library would just dump them on their "free books" rack by the door. There were some interesting titles, I wished I'd saved some.

Dexter was very wealthy but had little education. His book had poor spelling and grammar and absolutely no punctuation.

The industrial district in Newburyport is named after him and if you want a copy the local bookstore keeps it in print!

I swear I've read about this in an anthology of historical curiosities or something like that. I recognize the title. Self published books are great (often in a terrible sort of way), but the old and crazy ones are special because printing and bookbinding was labor intensive and expensive back in the day. For example, it cost $3,000 or thereabouts for Joseph Smith to have the first batch of The Book of Mormon printed in 1830, which is equivalent to over $70,000 today. (If I remember the story right, he had one of his followers sell his farm to pay for it. LOL!)

Tangentially, I've always liked the fact that Ben Franklin made his fortune as a printer, mostly because I worked as a printer from my late teens into my early thirties before escaping that dying trade for a new career. We all owe a great deal of thanks to copy machines, zines, cheap self-publishing, and the internet when it comes to having access to crazy crackpot texts that only appeal to a small group of weirdos.

~Coxy posted:

Yes! When I was little I had a copy of The World's Greatest Cranks and Crackpots which appears to be the source of the bulk of that wikipedia article.

I didn't read about A Pickle For the Knowing Ones in this book, but I love these sorts of nutcase compendiums, so I'm gonna try to track it down.

The Kins posted:

I went back to the book shop.

The most horrifying of crafts gets a book all its own...

Truly, the darkest, spookiest, and most evil of crafts.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Truly, the darkest, spookiest, and most evil of crafts.

Quilting with Cthulhu

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

DerekSmartymans posted:

Quilting with Cthulhu

Brocade with Beelzebub

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Megabound posted:

Brocade with Beelzebub

Crochet with LaVey

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

La Brea Carpet posted:

Crochet with LaVey

Scrapbook with Satan

Derek of the Andes
Dec 10, 2009

JPrime posted:

somewhere, ted cruz just orgasmed.

Country girls make do.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Pththya-lyi posted:

Scrapbook with Satan

Macramé with Mephistopheles

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I made myself a book:

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

Has anyone read Gary Lachman's stuff? Particularly interested in this:

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Tuxedo Ted posted:

A classic. And a pretty good read too, if you can find it. Basically, Budweiser the Brown there is from another world, a big bad evil is gonna unmake the entire universe, so he takes a baby from there to earth and dumps it on some poor woman while he fucks off to mess with the big bad and make it lose the trail of the baby. The baby may or may not be the key to saving its former home.

The trilogy is 3.99 @ Kindle (probably all the other main ebook sites too since everyone's gone over to agency pricing) fairly regularly. search for: "The Darwath Series: The Time of the Dark, The Walls of Air, and The Armies of Daylight".

For those of us that prefer to read such things on a kobo or similar, you might want to search for "Apprentice Alf" as well.

Of course, ebooks have their own problems, aside from the whole agency pricing and digital rights mangling and the centralized distribution model and etc... here's some examples:

1. Reginald Hill. You can't buy about 80% of the Daziel and Pascoe series as ebooks in the US.
2. A. J. Orde (pen-name of Sherri Tepper) - wrote a p. good detective series around dogs and antiques and family. Ebook? Hah!
3. Nick O'Donahue - wrote a series about a vetinary (sp) school for fantasy animals that sounds great, except it's oop and way expensive and of course no ebook version
4. Richard Roberts - his publisher wasn't paying royalties, so he pulled the rights, so at the moment you can't buy any of the "Please Don't Tell My Parents" line as an ebook
5. G. Derek Adams - He just decided to stop selling "Asteroid Made of Dragons", which is a shame because the other two he has up were well worth $1. If there's any comprehensible reason it's not on his blog.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Serious Party Gods posted:

Has anyone read Gary Lachman's stuff? Particularly interested in this:

I looked this up. Gary Lachman was the bassist of Blondie, and seems to be into all sorts of crazy new-age poo poo. I've never heard of him as a writer, and have never read anything he's written, although it seems like the sort of thing I'd read for shits & giggles.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I looked this up. Gary Lachman was the bassist of Blondie, and seems to be into all sorts of crazy new-age poo poo. I've never heard of him as a writer, and have never read anything he's written, although it seems like the sort of thing I'd read for shits & giggles.

He hasa well reviewed book about esoteric thought, chaos magik, in regards to the Trump adminstration.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

LOL!

Now I want to read some autobiographies about Blondie to see how the rest of the group felt about this mad man!

I love this thread. It's always giving me new ideas on weird garbage to cram into my brain through my rapidly deteriorating eyes.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The last one seems to be a modest collector's item. It's all about how tanning and bodybuilding will bring glory back to Japan by creating REAL MEN. If only more alt-right no-fappers committed seppuku.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I'd never heard of Mishima before but after a quick google search he sounds like a fascinating individual. But then I say that about all would-be coup leaders.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Check out his short story “Patriotism”. It’s especially interesting knowing a bit about the author’s politics and his dramatic end.

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

Favorite art book from my one of my "Top 5" favorite VIsUal ArTISts.

OOP so I guess it's kinda rare. Is it wonderful? Certainly.

[placeholder for scans]

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

thepopmonster posted:

5. G. Derek Adams - He just decided to stop selling "Asteroid Made of Dragons", which is a shame because the other two he has up were well worth $1. If there's any comprehensible reason it's not on his blog.

It seems to be available on Kobo:

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/asteroid-made-of-dragons

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I love this dumb comic:

Some things are worth dying for.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Jerry Cotton posted:

I was just reminded of this children's book because of something I read on the forums and now I need to track down a copy.

I don't even remember if it was good or not I just remember the cover.

(I believe this is the original:)

It is, in fact, a very good book. I liked it when I was a kid and my own kids like it now. Author was active from the late 60s until he got drunk and froze to death in a snow drift in 1979; he left behind a moderate body of work containing several classics that are still getting new printings, movie adaptations, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

The last one seems to be a modest collector's item. It's all about how tanning and bodybuilding will bring glory back to Japan by creating REAL MEN. If only more alt-right no-fappers committed seppuku.

I've heard of Yukio Mishima (particularly his suicide by sword), and thought I'd read a couple of his books 10-15 years ago, but it turns out I was thinking of Osamu Dazai, another famous Japanese author who killed himself at a young age.

Gustave Doré rules.

Flannelette posted:

Some things are worth dying for.

Goddamn sex blimp.