Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Odonata posted:

A custimer calls the bakery...
"Do you make any white cakes?"
Yes, we make make either a vanilla or lemon white cake.
"Oh, you don't make chocolate cakes? That's too bad. I was hoping for a chocolate cake."
I must have misunderstood you the first time. Yes, we also make chocolate cake.
"What I really want is a chocolate cake with white frosting."
We can put white frosting on a chocolate cake. No problem.
"Oh. Well, I was hoping that the frosting could be pink."
We can put pink frosting on a chocolate cake.
"No! I want white frosting on the cake and I want it to be pink."
Pink... white frosting? Sure. Why not? I can follow the bouncing ball that is your train of thought
"Oh, and it needs to be peppermint. Can you make it with peppermint flavored white frosting?"
So you really want white pepermint frosting? Or do you want pink peppermint frosting?
"Yes."
Which one?
"I told you! I want a white cake, and it needs to be chocolate, and it needs to have pink frosting."

The warm embrace of death can not come fast enough.

Unless this person is over 80 years old then 100% they are just trolling wage slaves for kicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
See, at my job we are encouraged to say 'No Problem!' because nothing a customer asks or does to us could ever be a hassle or an imposition!

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
So many people don't listen. I tried not to encourage chitchat (because my clientele is half asleep shift workers and I too hated the work), but I swear the most common conversation I had was:

Me: Hi, just [products they had] today?

Them: yeah good, thanks

Me: Just [products they had] today?

Them: Yup

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I just had a grocery cashier tell me “you don’t look happy”. It was one of the most surreal experiences I’ve had in my life. Like yeah, dude, I’ve got a poo poo ton of stuff on my mind right now. The last place any of us wants to be, yourself included, is this grocery store. It was so weird. “No problem” doesn’t even touch how off putting this was so I don’t know what these old jerks who freak out about no problem would do with “you don’t look happy”

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Odonata posted:

A custimer calls the bakery...
"Do you make any white cakes?"
Yes, we make make either a vanilla or lemon white cake.
"Oh, you don't make chocolate cakes? That's too bad. I was hoping for a chocolate cake."
I must have misunderstood you the first time. Yes, we also make chocolate cake.
"What I really want is a chocolate cake with white frosting."
We can put white frosting on a chocolate cake. No problem.
"Oh. Well, I was hoping that the frosting could be pink."
We can put pink frosting on a chocolate cake.
"No! I want white frosting on the cake and I want it to be pink."
Pink... white frosting? Sure. Why not? I can follow the bouncing ball that is your train of thought
"Oh, and it needs to be peppermint. Can you make it with peppermint flavored white frosting?"
So you really want white pepermint frosting? Or do you want pink peppermint frosting?
"Yes."
Which one?
"I told you! I want a white cake, and it needs to be chocolate, and it needs to have pink frosting."

The warm embrace of death can not come fast enough.

They want a chocolate cake with white frosting spread over it, and pink frosting piped around the edge.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

areyoucontagious posted:

I just had a grocery cashier tell me “you don’t look happy”. It was one of the most surreal experiences I’ve had in my life. Like yeah, dude, I’ve got a poo poo ton of stuff on my mind right now. The last place any of us wants to be, yourself included, is this grocery store. It was so weird. “No problem” doesn’t even touch how off putting this was so I don’t know what these old jerks who freak out about no problem would do with “you don’t look happy”

":) I'm not. your total is 27.95."

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

areyoucontagious posted:

After my grandmother died I had a customer come up to me and say "you look sad..." and then she burst out laughing and walked away

Humanity was a mistake

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

areyoucontagious posted:

Can you imagine if an employee at a grocery store told a customer to smile soon after said customer found out a close family member has died, or found out he/she has a terminal illness. The last thing on the customer's mind would be to smile.

Some people are so out of touch of the real world. Just because you're having a good time doesn't mean everyone else is.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ijii posted:

Am I The rear end in a top hat?

I'm behind the meat counter when a customer approaches. I ask "Hi, anything I can get for you today?" His response, "Yes." After like 2 minutes with neither of us saying or making a move I ask "HI! What can I get for you?" with a hint of annoyance in my voice. After that he confronted me that I didn't specifically ask what he wanted the first time I spoke to him. I didn't retort back because this was a stupid situation, so he finally requested the item he wanted, I gave it to him, and that was that.

I hate these stupid games that some people want to play.

You are not the rear end in a top hat and I *hate* when people do that. I phrase it the same way.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I had the dreaded "come in at 5 minutes to close and expect poo poo to be done NOW" customer tonight.

Normally, if it is something reasonably small, I'll humor them.

This one was a 3000 page color print job. Even the order taking system is like "bitch this will take a day and for that speed you need to give us an extra 30%" (all told, ~$2000)

MOD was also having none of that poo poo, he's trying to leave ASAP as he is clopening.

So after some wrangling between myself, my supervisor (who was at home tending to his sick 5 month old daughter), and the opener (who really appreciated the texts as she is getting ready for bed), and the MOD, we finally got him to agree to 10am.

I made sure that it is getting printed on the expensive 32lb (for you metric people, 95gsm) paper out of spite.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Kilonum posted:

I had the dreaded "come in at 5 minutes to close and expect poo poo to be done NOW" customer tonight.

Normally, if it is something reasonably small, I'll humor them.

This one was a 3000 page color print job. Even the order taking system is like "bitch this will take a day and for that speed you need to give us an extra 30%" (all told, ~$2000)

MOD was also having none of that poo poo, he's trying to leave ASAP as he is clopening.

So after some wrangling between myself, my supervisor (who was at home tending to his sick 5 month old daughter), and the opener (who really appreciated the texts as she is getting ready for bed), and the MOD, we finally got him to agree to 10am.

I made sure that it is getting printed on the expensive 32lb (for you metric people, 95gsm) paper out of spite.

i was thinking the other day that some businesses should have a "last call" sign outside their door like bars or whatever to keep assholes from coming in just before closing and asking for whatever dumb poo poo that they have to have. I'm sure places have the rules in place, but it seems like something that would keep what you're describing from happening.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I get all sorts of weird exchanges when checking people out, but the one I've come to hate the most comes from middle-aged white men, and it goes a little something like this.

The Daily Grind posted:

Me: "Can I help you find anything today?"

Man:

Me: "... Are you ready to check out?"

Man: [tosses DVD on counter]

Me: "Would you like to sign up for our free loyalty program?"

Man: [jabs "no" on card reader]

Me: "Your total is $21.72!"

Man: [tosses cash and coin on counter]

Me: [scoops money off counter like ye olde beggar, already pissed] "Would you like a bag?"

Man:

Man: [presents hand for change]

Me: [throws change and DVD back on counter] "There ya go."

How do people get away with this? We get people who are clearly shy—which is fine and normal—but these dudes just don't give a poo poo. It's incomprehensible to me that they can't muster up the energy to say "Yes/No/Thanks" or hand me money directly.

As for last minute patrons, I work at a buy/sell/trade movies, video games, music, etc. store and boy, people sure do love to bring in large quantities of stuff last minute. We spent years arranging informal drop-offs by telling people, "Great! We'll call you in the morning," and boy, people hated to hear we didn't want to spend an extra 30+ minutes processing their items past close. Nowadays, corporate passed down a more formal drop-off form, so we don't stay overtime for a few extra bucks have a better way to arrange it. Of course, we still have to gently herd shoppers out the old fashioned way... with enough pressure they feel like they have to leave, but not enough someone who hates retail employees could complain to corporate about it.

I've got several years of stories. God help us all.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
Fuckers! Ok really rolling your loving window up mid conversation is about the rudest thing I can loving think of. Also on the topic of LMAs (last minute assholes)(first minute assholes suck too). You have a European car. Your oil change is gonna take about a half hour. Do not come in at 5 minutes to close all full of sorry than hand me a loving ticket average destroying Groupon. gently caress you Groupon! I. Hate. You. People. Do your research. I'm sorry Chrysler decided that your mini van requires full synthetic. I'm sorry that you leased this piece of poo poo. Not my loving problem. Ugfffhh.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
I'd complain about how it's cool and good that my reward for getting my department in order is getting a day cut from next week's schedule, but I know that isn't the reason, 'cause they'll cut a day even when I'm drowning in backstock.

But it is fun never knowing how many days you'll be scheduled, week to week. It's fun when you have a couple long weeks back to back and start making kinda-sorta OK money, maybe spend a little on some nice coffee or whatever, then, blammo. Four day week. You didn't need that fifty dollars, did you?

And then they're surprised when you don't want to work that fifth day when, actually, it turns out they need you to do something

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I had a customer yesterday tell me "thanks for not helping" after I told him that while on the floor I can't check prices he has to go to the register for that (if there's no tag we pick a price from a database and it is usually high). I was not on the clock and even if I were my answer would not have changed.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I hope you were respectful and told him "no problem"

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I'd complain about how it's cool and good that my reward for getting my department in order is getting a day cut from next week's schedule, but I know that isn't the reason, 'cause they'll cut a day even when I'm drowning in backstock.

But it is fun never knowing how many days you'll be scheduled, week to week. It's fun when you have a couple long weeks back to back and start making kinda-sorta OK money, maybe spend a little on some nice coffee or whatever, then, blammo. Four day week. You didn't need that fifty dollars, did you?

And then they're surprised when you don't want to work that fifth day when, actually, it turns out they need you to do something

Yeah, loving love that. Managers just assume that they can call you in or that you totally want to work 6 days a week and get all confused when you say no. "B-but you're already here six days a week." Yeah because I allow you fuckers one call in, ONE a week and you always use it.

My favorite was a dipshit boss who had an obsession for cleaning the kitchen. Which is good in general: kitchens should be cleaned. He never figured out you need to shut down at least half of the kitchen to use the power sprayer he got and loved so much and pouted that we never used it. One week he tried to take a day off from everyone who had two on the schedule to have a "cleaning" shift and was absolutely confused when everyone suddenly* wanted to strangle him and told him no. Yes Nati and Leti come in at 4 AM to start cooking things the 5 days they work. No they're not gonna take one of the two days they have with their family, their kids to come in and spray down a kitchen that's in motion. And if you want me to come in at 9 AM when the kitchen is at it's busiest the only safe place I can use that sprayer is by shoving it up your rear end!

*Actually we already hated him, it just pushed us over the edge to showing it to his face. He was an incompetent, back stabbing shithead we couldn't get fired because he was friends with upper management. Dude tried to make us serve up over 100 pounds of undercooked chicken and still didn't get fired. When the health food startup decided to move to a USDA kitchen in another town and not pay any of us to move, every single person on the chopping block laughed that he was getting laid off too.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

things have gotten to that point at my job where they need a competent, reliable assistant manager bc they've gone through three in the last 8 months, and they're so desperate that they're willing to work with me and my desire to not work full-time hours

so i'm apparently a 'manager' now but they can, supposedly, keep me under/at 30 hours a week. that's probably a total loving lie but whatever. they really just need someone to open/close, not really do manager-y stuff besides that. the store can't really function with only 2 managers.

i miss our GM. i'm glad he's out of retail but also :argh: come back our store is failing without you already

i believe the most recent rear end-man must've quit since i was told she didn't show up a lot this week, or last week. :sigh:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Let me just reassure you that yes, that is an absolute loving lie, and you can expect them to immediately begin pressuring you to work pretty much all day every day. Expect a call every morning you’re off, and your boss to want you to work late every time you’re supposed to get off in the afternoon/early evening.

It is absolutely VITAL, right now, that you stand your ground and politely but very firmly tell them, no, I will not do that, this is not what we agreed to and I am not interested.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

I hope you were respectful and told him "no problem"

I told him he was welcome and to have a nice day! (I then later double-checked with a manager that I said the right thing and she confirmed.)

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I always think it is pretty funny when managers quit by just not showing up or walking out. Even management knows retail is bullshit, and that there are managers pretending otherwise is funny.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Let me just reassure you that yes, that is an absolute loving lie, and you can expect them to immediately begin pressuring you to work pretty much all day every day. Expect a call every morning you’re off, and your boss to want you to work late every time you’re supposed to get off in the afternoon/early evening.

It is absolutely VITAL, right now, that you stand your ground and politely but very firmly tell them, no, I will not do that, this is not what we agreed to and I am not interested.

Oh absolutely. Do not give a loving inch. They will try every single trick to get you to come in, and just because they're blatantly lying to you when they say "it's just for today" and trying to drag you in does not mean they won't be effective.

Everyone bitches about falling for "the oldest trick in the books" but if the trick is in the so-called books that means it still works. And Management has the ultimate trick: lying. To you, to themselves (they might even believe you could come in "just for today"), to customers, to you some more. The moment you give them any ground, no matter how loudly you state "I am doing this for today and only today" management will consider this the new standard and you are expected to meet it from that point on.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

I like that my manager made someone ask me if I was ok with helping covering her three-four days off before she could put in for it and I'm confused because not only would I not care, she could've put me on the schedule and I wouldn't have noticed.

Also I decided I dislike customers enough to volunteer to work overnight for our store refresh.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Four people quit today, one before they even started their first day.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Now THAT is an over-achiever right there! Bravo to him!

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Hahaha hell yeah smart guy for sure.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Cannot wait to hear about the fallout :munch:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Had a few of these, usually when people frantically looking for any job and don't want to let potential employers know about it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Did any of them use the line in the Corporate thread's title?

"I am quitting to pursue my dream of not having to work here"

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Here is the brilliant state of my glorious store:

Everyone in produce except the produce manager has been fired. We have one produce associate on loan from ~somewhere~. There is one other person in the entire store that has produce experience. They've been yanking random cashiers and janitors and telling them they're working produce; no training.

One of them is going to cut off their loving thumb with a produce knife, I'm sure. If you've never seen one- imagine a box cutter hosed a gladius.

Deli has had three replacements in the past month.

Grocery has had two replacements in the past month.

All the people that quit worked the front end.

There's a blackout on vacations in a few months and everyone whose time will expire in that time frame wants to use theirs.

It's a good time to not be a manager

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Here is the brilliant state of my glorious store:

Everyone in produce except the produce manager has been fired. We have one produce associate on loan from ~somewhere~. There is one other person in the entire store that has produce experience. They've been yanking random cashiers and janitors and telling them they're working produce; no training.

One of them is going to cut off their loving thumb with a produce knife, I'm sure. If you've never seen one- imagine a box cutter hosed a gladius.

Deli has had three replacements in the past month.

Grocery has had two replacements in the past month.

All the people that quit worked the front end.

There's a blackout on vacations in a few months and everyone whose time will expire in that time frame wants to use theirs.

It's a good time to not be a manager

Clearly you must cut hours at this point. Otherwise what will motivate people to work harder!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

What can possibly go wrong with one of these?

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Leal posted:

I want one of those to replace my box cutter now. I'm already apparently the weirdo who has her own locking utility knife so no one will steal it. (Turns out most of my coworkers aren't savvy enough to know that you press the button on the back to close the knife.)

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

They're a lot sharper than they look. As it "goes through the stem of cauliflower like a bread knife through dough". They're stupendous overkill for boxes, and I know because I used one for that for a while.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

I carry one of those little folding utility knives.
Stuck a magnet to the outside of the pocket clip with a layer of electrical heatshrink, and I slap my store-issue box cutter onto that.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I use them to cut corn stems and trim all the excess leaves off. I do about 100-150 in a 15-20 minute period on a slow day, those blades gently caress :getin:

I was walking home one night after work and some crackhead on the street decided to try and rush me, pulling that out made him back off.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Leal posted:

I think you can get one of those in the most recent Final Fantasy from a secret boss.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Man I wish we got those at Amazon. You'd think we'd get something big mean and stabby to work on the boxes. Especially since HR really likes to call us Amazonians, as if we're a bunch of jungle warriors.

Instead we get these:

AMCARE was probably tired of us cutting our thumbs off. :v:

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
Oh man they've been trying to push those at walmart, they are hot garbage. If anything ever happens to the retracting dealie I have now I'm buying an identical one off the internet, I refuse to use one of those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

The thing is they're actually good at what they do. The little bit on the end is great for splitting tape (even reinforced stuff) while the blade inside the hooked bit is razor sharp and is amazing at cutting straps or strings.

Though let's be honest: a car key could cut tape as well as that thing and a normal razor blade could cut the straps/strings.