Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Why do we hate TLJ again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

precision posted:

Why do we hate TLJ again

Because it was ahead of its time. It was just too good people didn’t understand it.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

precision posted:

Why do we hate TLJ again

It tried to be KOTOR 2 and KOTOR 2 sucked.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
THE END OF THE SAGA

Wait when exactly did the new saga begin, like three days ago?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

THE END OF THE SAGA

Wait when exactly did the new saga begin, like three days ago?

The Saga ended before it could even begin! Thanks to that feminist Kathleen Kennedy!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Daddy Thanos posted:

But I absolutely want the movie to do as poorly as possible and I'm gonna watch a cam version instead of seeing it

No you won't. :cheeky:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Just Chamber posted:

One of them will learn to use the force to literally fly, causing Finn to exclaim: "Wow, I guess they really are a Skywalker", before looking straight at the camera.

This is amazing. He also needs to remark "WOW LOOK AT HER RISE!!" right as she takes off.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

kidkissinger posted:

Jedha isn't a planet, it's just a region of Jakoonie

It's canonically a separate planet because it's far more Islamesque than Jakkooine

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Mecca is far more islamesque than my place and I'm pretty sure it's still on the same planet.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Daddy Thanos posted:

We already know most of what will be in the movie because of the 4chan leak

which leak was this?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Jedha is the part of tattooine that has Islam, and tattooine is the part of jakku that doesn’t have any crashed ships on it

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

YaketySass posted:

It tried to be KOTOR 2 and KOTOR 2 sucked.

Kotor 2 ruled you boob

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

McCloud posted:

Kotor 2 ruled you boob

That dril tweet about good and bad things but with more libertarianism about how it's bad to help the homeless.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

YaketySass posted:

That dril tweet about good and bad things but with more libertarianism about how it's bad to help the homeless.

this kotor 2 that only exists in your head sounds bad, sure

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Every KOTOR 2 that exists or could have existed is equally bad.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There must always be two KOTORs

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Finally, The Senate has returned. He was my favorite character!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

precision posted:

Why do we hate TLJ again

TLJ has a lot of ambition and attempts to take star wars to places it's never been before, which is good and admirable, but large parts of the story make zero logical sense and it deals with a lot of its themes either awkwardly or badly. IMHO it's interesting and a cool project, and way better than TFA, but still pretty bad.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I'm not gonna lie. The return of Frank has my dick super hard right now, despite all the negativity the past two years. The whole thing needed a nice bombshell. Super excited for "The Gang Kills Palpatine's Force Ghost".

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 12, 2019

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

YaketySass posted:

Lol the person who tells you that lies to you the entire game in order to manipulate you into total nihilistic despair.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/PrequelMemesBot/status/1116791562573242372

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

pospysyl posted:

Lol the person who tells you that lies to you the entire game in order to manipulate you into total nihilistic despair.

Yes, and the game has nothing real to oppose to her outside of: "Just try thinking for yourself, maaan. Have you, like, really looked at your hands?"

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

YaketySass posted:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
YaketySass is unequivocally right about Kotor 2. And yes TLJ definitely had similarities, down to the attempt at an anti-twist that was totally unsatisfying.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Stoked about seeing some more sand in the space movies!

Also I can't believe the title isn't Episode IX: Hope Lando Doesn't Die Too

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

YaketySass posted:

Yes, and the game has nothing real to oppose to her outside of: "Just try thinking for yourself, maaan. Have you, like, really looked at your hands?"

That whole bit was the game telling you via kreia to stop making choices based on what you think will give you the most desired color points and actually think for your self.

Polo-Rican posted:

TLJ has a lot of ambition and attempts to take star wars to places it's never been before, which is good and admirable, but large parts of the story make zero logical sense and it deals with a lot of its themes either awkwardly or badly. IMHO it's interesting and a cool project, and way better than TFA, but still pretty bad.

My thoughts exactly.

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Brother Entropy posted:

which leak was this?

https://archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/112644688/#112644688

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

AlternateAccount posted:

I don't know. We're probably giving way too much credit and trying to make a lovely title mean something. RISE OF THE ________ is poo poo no matter what movie it is.

Did a search to find out where I had read about the first force user being called The Skywalker and found the source. It was mentioned in an excerpt from the book "How Star Wars Conquered the Universe: The Past, Present, and Future of a Multibillion Dollar Franchise" where it talked about some early script drafts for Star Wars.

quote:

Originally discovered by a holy man called the Skywalker, the Force is divided into the good half, “Ashla,” and the “paraforce,” called the Bogan. To prevent people with “less strength” from discovering the Bogan, the Skywalker only taught it to his children, who passed it on to theirs. And there you have it: as conceived for the first time, the Force was an exclusive, aristocratic cult.

excerpt link

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

YaketySass posted:

It's time for that pic again as illustration:

I think the main problem is that JJ and Rian Johnson were too afraid to tell the guy doodling new characters "yea gimme a sleazy flying space Jew" and "make him a dumb clumsy Caribbean islander stereotype," so they got what you see. Lucas though? Only showed three black people in the entire galaxy for like 20 years.

No Mods No Masters posted:

The TLJ throne room fight would have had to hold up better under close analysis to be regarded as a classic. There are way way too many awkward red dudes milling around or swinging at nothing on the edges of the frame. As is it’s as much of a hollow fraud as the rest of the film

I'm just glad Rian Johnson finally showed something that was obvious to me since I first saw the OT light saber duels thirty years ago: just flick it on and off really quick!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

:jerkbag:

Yes, TLJ had a drop from TFA, but it was about 300 million, not 700. You wanna be grumpy about the movie? Sure that's fine, no one has to like any film, but come on now.

:wtc: is with this thread and everyone's inability to grasp that, in general, sequels RARELY pull in the same amount or more than their predecessor? This is an established rule in box office econ / financing just as gravity is in physics or evolution in biology...

Preston Waters fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 13, 2019

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The fuckin' frontpage of /r/PrequelMemes right now is going to be the loving death of me oh my god

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it'd be funny if that 'Beyond' talk (that's the name for the space beyond the galaxy right?) was a long con setup for the Vong. Like, I'd genuinely love it if this movie was just an origin story for the Vong wars.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If they really grandfathered in the plagueis book and everything that book touched then the vong are probably already a thing. The really funny part is that the sequels have been so dreary they make the vong seem exciting by comparison

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean at least the Vong are SOMETHING. There's nothing to The First Order other than 'bad guys' and 'coded nazi but the writers are too pussy to actually make them fascist on screen so we just hear they're bad a lot'.

Like, the Vong at least DO things

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

This doesn’t mention Palpatine, which, given the events of today, is odd. Maybe he’s not a major plot point, but if someone was in the know, you’d think they’d know about Sheev at least making an appearance.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Honestly, the core idea of making the star war characters have to deal with space vietnam and earn the right to turn it back into space world war 2 was a pretty nice concept. Too bad 90% of the books about it were really bad

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

it’s Bigger Luke’s time to shine in episode ix :madmax:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

No Mods No Masters posted:

Honestly, the core idea of making the star war characters have to deal with space vietnam and earn the right to turn it back into space world war 2 was a pretty nice concept. Too bad 90% of the books about it were really bad

yea a movie treatment of the vong stuff could actually be real good because, yea it can focus on the fun 'oh gently caress what ARE these things' horror and the big space war poo poo Star Wars does well and all that and not the like ten books of people just jacking off.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think that kind of concept could be done well as a TV series too, basically by ripping off deep space 9 to the maximum possible degree. It's the same basic concept- create situations that really test the ideology and politics of the setting.

But here in disneyland we mostly just smugly pretend those things don't exist, hey do you guys remember emperor palpatine

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
I guarantee you the "Rise of Skywalker" has nothing to do with replacing the Jedi with his dumb family name or anything, and might not even have to do with Rey being a Skywalker (unless she just assumes the name). I'm betting on it referring to some kind of supernatural element concerning Luke or Rey, with one of them becoming one with the Force or some kind of spiritual version of the Resurrection but in the SW universe. Luke learning to transcend time and space by literally becoming the Force and restoring balance to it would make the title worth it.

AlternateAccount posted:

I don't know. We're probably giving way too much credit and trying to make a lovely title mean something. RISE OF THE ________ is poo poo no matter what movie it is.

lol it's almost like they're supposed to be lovely B-grade titles in the same vein as TV serials like Flash Gordon... :milk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Its obvious Lando, Palpatine and the others "always being there" is just disney squeezing every last drop of nostalgia out of this property

Last Jedi: gently caress the old order, its all a sham. Destroy and create something new

Rise of skywalker: no no no nevermind, the old star wars is here for you