Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Judge Schnoopy posted:

But as a professional in the field you absolutely have to be aware that your 'my way or the highway' approach sucks. Technical skill sections are great for hitting automated keyword searches for application sites. Some companies care more about certs and education than you.

Being a hardass about resumes never comes off flattering. You just seem childish and petty.

Shrug. That resume is generic and will get lost in a sea of other resumes that look just like it, ones that people skim over because it's too dense when you have 50 resumes in front of you to review.

If you want to be bothered be recruiters that are going to send you job listings for poo poo you don't want, by all means keep technical skills sections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

DigitalMocking posted:

Technical skill section is garbage, no one reads it or cares in any way. Lose it.

Yeah your certs and job titles kinda say what you're good at. If I'm hiring a Windows Admin, I don't need to see Active Directory in Server 2012 as a skill. Its life a chef saying how well he can boil water or chop an onion.

skipdogg posted:

I never understood why IT folks don’t dog food their own poo poo

Old IT VP, everyone has to have a fully managed windows laptop, but order me the latest MacBook for me and the c levels.

So the most important people have unmanaged and “unsupported” devices. That makes sense.

My company has banned all personal devices and you can only log into VPN with a company managed device or laptop. You can't even log into OWA unless you're in the building or on VPN with 2FA.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I don’t have any issue with DigitalMocking’s strategy outside of a “skills” section. Ideally, the summary of your past positions should reflect some acronyms that may be data mined.

In reality your resume should just reflect the requirements of the employer. If they really want a skills section then have one.

My way or highway is a fine road for hiring. In the field, not so much.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

skipdogg posted:

Old IT VP, everyone has to have a fully managed windows laptop, but order me the latest MacBook for me and the c levels.

lol if you think the web filter applied to me when I was IT

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Bonzo posted:

Yeah your certs and job titles kinda say what you're good at. If I'm hiring a Windows Admin, I don't need to see Active Directory in Server 2012 as a skill. Its life a chef saying how well he can boil water or chop an onion.

How would one express AD skills?

Bonzo posted:

My company has banned all personal devices and you can only log into VPN with a company managed device or laptop. You can't even log into OWA unless you're in the building or on VPN with 2FA.

That’s exactly the way it should be.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
One more thing I'll say about resumes... never once has someone with a bad resume turned out to be a good employee. Not once.

It's your one chance to show me your communication skills, attention to detail, ability to summarize. The goal of your resume is to pique interest so they *want* to know more, not spell everything out.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

DigitalMocking posted:

One more thing I'll say about resumes... never once has someone with a bad resume turned out to be a good employee. Not once.

Spill.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Resumes are so old now. Just look at my LinkedIn and GitHub. There’s a history of everything I’ve done. I want resumes to end.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

heh my resume pretty much I’d just a copy of my LinkedIn profile

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

DigitalMocking posted:

It's your one chance to show me your communication skills, attention to detail, ability to summarize. The goal of your resume is to pique interest so they *want* to know more, not spell everything out.

You mean there’s a correlation between the amount of effort someone puts into their resume and how good of an employee they’ll be?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

skipdogg posted:

order me the latest MacBook for me and the c levels.

So the most important people have unmanaged and “unsupported” devices. That makes sense.

Same. And also he uses a personal iCloud account, shared with his daughter. Who then deletes all of Daddy's files by mistake cause she didn't know what they were.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm working with a customer who uses the trailing effects on their mouse icon. Come on man

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sepist posted:

I'm working with a customer who uses the trailing effects on their mouse icon. Come on man
This is an accessibility feature

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I sometimes have to use the “press control to find the cursor” feature if I’m using more than 2 screens.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Vulture Culture posted:

Ah poo poo you're right, he does have an eye issue. I used the trail when I was a kid and automatically assumed he did it for funsies

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

And in ancient days before LCDs were TFT technology with fast refresh, was a feature to make the cursor visible on laptop screens when moving it around.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

skipdogg posted:

I never understood why IT folks don't dog food their own poo poo

The rules don't apply to our security manager. He set all of our internal server-based applications (aside from the regular idle timeout of 15m for a system to lock to comply with PCI) to disconnect within 15 minutes, but he made it so that none of that happens to him and then claimed the same standard applied to all applications on every system. Needless to say, people who use our proprietary application on internal servers were none too pleased when they have to switch between that and spreadsheets, mail or whatever it is they do with it for an extended amount of time and find themselves constantly disconnected and needing to log back in.

I mean, you can avoid this by sending keep alives, but..

Also yeah, the web filter never applies to IT.

Tab8715 posted:

How would one express AD skills?

Password reset novitiate.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So I'm looking to switch careers into IT, and I just got my A+ cert Friday. Before I go for net+ or security +, I'm thinking of really learning powershell. However, that seems a bit challenging on a non domain version of Windows. Is my best bet setting up a VM with an Enterprise copy of Windows?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zotix posted:

So I'm looking to switch careers into IT, and I just got my A+ cert Friday. Before I go for net+ or security +, I'm thinking of really learning powershell. However, that seems a bit challenging on a non domain version of Windows. Is my best bet setting up a VM with an Enterprise copy of Windows?

You definitely do not need enterprise Windows to learn PowerShell. You would only be missing the Active Directory cmdlets I guess? But PowerShell is about way way more than that.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Zotix posted:

You can download server 2016 standard for free and use a 90 day license. Build a domain and some domain services using power shell. That’ll get you plenty far with familiarity of Powershell

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Thank you for the advice

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

You definitely do not need enterprise Windows to learn PowerShell. You would only be missing the Active Directory cmdlets I guess? But PowerShell is about way way more than that.

True, but PowerShell remoting is a lot more hassle between machines that aren't in a domain.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Powershell is about using it instead of the GUI. I've been making conscious efforts to Google the Powershell for what I need to look up. It's taking some time to internalize it all, but God willing I've run regedit.exe for the last time.

Schadenboner posted:

I sometimes have to use the “press control to find the cursor” feature if I’m using more than 2 screens.

Say what you will about Apple, but since El Capitan, wiggling the mouse like a madman enlarges the pointer to make it more visible. That's a QoL feature I use at least weekly.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

CLAM DOWN posted:

Find any API in the world you can hit, and use powershell as your connector (invoke-restmethod or invoke-webrequest). Dig through the results and turn them into a nice pscustomobject showing the details you care most about. If you're feeling cool, use data from that object to make a separate API call and format those results too.

Once I learned how to operate on the API level for a lot of software / hardware, automating work has never been easier. I'm in high demand at my job to help other admins automate their common GUI tasks or make batch operations from templates.

It will make you absolutely invaluable in IT.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Find any API in the world you can hit, and use powershell as your connector (invoke-restmethod or invoke-webrequest). Dig through the results and turn them into a nice pscustomobject showing the details you care most about. If you're feeling cool, use data from that object to make a separate API call and format those results too.

Once I learned how to operate on the API level for a lot of software / hardware, automating work has never been easier. I'm in high demand at my job to help other admins automate their common GUI tasks or make batch operations from templates.

I've made a bunch of scripts that automate our various tools through rest APIs, and everyone is in amazement. They don't realize how easy it is, with those cmdlets and how simple parsing json in Powershell is

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

skipdogg posted:

We had a quarterly get together recently and I noticed 'Group Policy Review' was on the agenda, which is code for someone wants to make some kind of change.

That translated to: we are moving to o365 - for the AD sync bit all our accounts can't sit in the OU where all the admin account sit so we have to 'downgrade' our accounts into more restrictive OUs as per the 'normal users'

So someone's bright idea was to make an IT OU in the right place for o365 sync and then work out how to apply GPs to that OU that we liked.

I vetoed for 2 reasons
1) we use unprivileged accounts for email and 'normal' stuff, privileged for admin stuff... why do we need to treat our normal accounts any differently to how we treat normal users in other departments - if there is some annoying restriction and you really want to review the GP causing that restriction, fix that issue and it will benefit the company and not just the IT people sat in the room.

2) Our boss had to go to another meeting for the last day of our get together so we were left un-chaperoned, I quickly realised by saying 'we should treat our normal accounts like normal users, lets be done with it' meant the agenda concluded and I could get an earlier train home :cool:

stevewm
May 10, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Verizon is killing me.
That's twice in just as many weeks that they've taken down our police dispatch.

Get this: A tech came out to complete a transformation from copper to FiOS. Cool, fine, good, whatever.
The summabitch did literally nothing. He didn't label any of the 3 ONT (they were already installed just not activated).
He didn't tie any of the phone lines over from the ONT to the demarc or the 66 block that they're supposed to be punched to.
I don't even loving know if he actually showed up on site for this job.

The 911 emergency response team dispatched a tech but advised that they might not be able to resolve because if it's FiOS then they can't do anything about it.
I just said "gently caress all of you" and found all the lines myself, tested them, then ran them to the demarc and punched them down myself.
Luckily the PSAP tech showed up though because apparently the numbers they transformed don't actually correspond to any of the numbers we are supposed to have there. So the numbers at the ONT don't match the numbers labeled on the demarc. They are just forwards to other numbers that were installed. He provided me the list of numbers and what they should correspond to and then he left. Thanks I guess?

CenturyLink did this to me when we where trying to get service at one of our brand new locations.

We had to re-open the ticket for every step of the process.. They kept marking the order as complete and working every time they came out to do something.

Line trenched and buried, ticket closed, order marked complete.
Internal DMARC mounted on wall, but line not run into it. Ticket closed, order marked complete again.
Line terminated in DMARC, but live pairs not labeled, nor was the DSL installed. Hadn't received modem. Order was marked complete, yet again.
Tech came out and labeled supposedly active pairs, set DSL modem still in box on top of the DMARC. I saw the tech leaving on this one and tried to chase him down, he got out of the parking lot before I could catch him. Order marked complete AGAIN.

I tested the marked pairs and there was no dialtone, nor would DSL modem sync on the marked DSL pair.

At this point we gave up. Spectrum installed their service a few days later, tech didn't leave until it was actually working. Called CenturyLink and canceled everything.

Got a phone call from CenturyLink slightly over 2 months later wanting to schedule installation. When I told him we had canceled the order more than 2 months ago, his only response was "Well this is embarrassing..."

That phone call resulted in the creation of this:

Which still hangs on the wall above my desk.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Umbreon posted:

As a NOC engineer with a CCNA, what's a good way for me to start learning with cloud infrastructure/moving things into the cloud? I see that the AWS certs are nice for getting interviews, but how would I go about getting actual hands on experience?

Obviously I won't last long in an interview without it, and I also want to get a feel for the career path in general to make sure it's right for me.

e: if anyone here has a job in either of the fields I mentioned, I'd love to hear about what you actually do everyday at your job.

Go to the AWS jobs site and check every box for jobs that look even remotely interesting. Then wait a month and do it again.

Keep doing this until you get an interview.

The message you are sending here is “Hey fuckers, I really want to work at AWS and I don’t care what I’m doing.” AWS is interested in talented IT and SDE workers and will find a spot for them after they’ve found them.

When I applied to AWS I applied for twenty different jobs, including jobs I had no business applying to (Java developer? Really?) under the assumption that I wanted them to know I was hungry and I’d let them determine a good fit for me.

During my interview process the position I was interviewing changed three times. It was crazy. They kept saying, “do you know the duties required of you?”

and I kept saying “Nah man. I don’t even know the title of the role I’m applying for. I just want to work here.”

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

skipdogg posted:

This is not unique. "Security for thee, but not for me!" It's SOP most places, the important people are just too loving important to mess with pleb tech like Duo or complex passwords.

Methanar posted:

lol if you think the web filter applied to me when I was IT

I am probably a bad person because I often feel like security policies are like jury duty. A punishment on people who aren't smart enough to avoid them. Disclaimer: circumventing security policies is bad.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Agrikk posted:

Go to the AWS jobs site and check every box for jobs that look even remotely interesting. Then wait a month and do it again.

The message you are sending here is “Hey fuckers, I really want to work at AWS and I don’t care what I’m doing.” AWS is interested in talented IT and SDE workers and will find a spot for them after they’ve found them.

When I applied to AWS I applied for twenty different jobs, including jobs I had no business applying to (Java developer? Really?) under the assumption that I wanted them to know I was hungry and I’d let them determine a good fit for me.

During my interview process the position I was interviewing changed three times. It was crazy. They kept saying, “do you know the duties required of you?”

and I kept saying “Nah man. I don’t even know the title of the role I’m applying for. I just want to work here.”

Well, that makes me feel a little better about not hearing back yet for the 2 positions I applied for.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Judge Schnoopy posted:

If you're playing with APIs, get a copy of Postman. I use to get the calls working, then replicate in Powershell.

https://www.getpostman.com/

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

stevewm posted:

CenturyLink did this to me when we where trying to get service at one of our brand new locations.

We had to re-open the ticket for every step of the process.. They kept marking the order as complete and working every time they came out to do something.

Line trenched and buried, ticket closed, order marked complete.
Internal DMARC mounted on wall, but line not run into it. Ticket closed, order marked complete again.
Line terminated in DMARC, but live pairs not labeled, nor was the DSL installed. Hadn't received modem. Order was marked complete, yet again.
Tech came out and labeled supposedly active pairs, set DSL modem still in box on top of the DMARC. I saw the tech leaving on this one and tried to chase him down, he got out of the parking lot before I could catch him. Order marked complete AGAIN.

I tested the marked pairs and there was no dialtone, nor would DSL modem sync on the marked DSL pair.

At this point we gave up. Spectrum installed their service a few days later, tech didn't leave until it was actually working. Called CenturyLink and canceled everything.

Got a phone call from CenturyLink slightly over 2 months later wanting to schedule installation. When I told him we had canceled the order more than 2 months ago, his only response was "Well this is embarrassing..."

That phone call resulted in the creation of this:

Which still hangs on the wall above my desk.

Some of the guys on my team are dealing with Century Link right now and this is apt.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've made a bunch of scripts that automate our various tools through rest APIs, and everyone is in amazement. They don't realize how easy it is, with those cmdlets and how simple parsing json in Powershell is

It's stupid easy once you get one project working. Invoke-restmethod parameters can be copy and pasted into the new project with some minor tweaks and boom, another data source can now be pulled into powershell for correlation and integration with what you already have.

If I interviewed somebody who said they had even a hobby level of experience with programming around API calls, they would be top of the list immediately.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Proteus Jones posted:

Some of the guys on my team are dealing with Century Link right now and this is apt.

Century Link may or may not be a client that I deal with quite a bit, but .....yeah.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Agrikk posted:

Well poo poo, I know AWS recently started setting up shop in the city I live in, I might have to actually try this. What's working for AWS like?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Agrikk posted:

So I know AWS posts a bunch of remote positions too, which I would be super interested in. While I am pretty platform agnostic but most of my professional experience is with Azure. Would that be better, worse, or no different than having no cloud platform experience?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Judge Schnoopy posted:

It's stupid easy once you get one project working. Invoke-restmethod parameters can be copy and pasted into the new project with some minor tweaks and boom, another data source can now be pulled into powershell for correlation and integration with what you already have.

If I interviewed somebody who said they had even a hobby level of experience with programming around API calls, they would be top of the list immediately.

No joke, this just landed me a devops engineer role, jumping from a tier 1 sysadmin job. Turns out trying to automate yourself out of a job does wonders for your resume.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

xsf421 posted:

No joke, this just landed me a devops engineer role, jumping from a tier 1 sysadmin job. Turns out trying to automate yourself out of a job does wonders for your resume.

The last guy who told me I was going to automate myself out of a job is being asked to leave the company due to poor performance.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

You can always tell who the dinosaurs are, by looking for the ones bitching about automation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

You can always tell who the dinosaurs are, by looking for the ones bitching about automation.

poo poo. Lack of automation eats into my shitposting time on these dead, gay forums.

Why the hell else would I learn python?