Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
And from those leaks...

"The great evil, whatever it is, appears to relate to Palpatine. Early drafts for Episode VII featured an ancient scroll belonging to Palpatine that was the key to an "ancient power" as the MacGuffin; and early drafts for Episode VIII included Sith spirits tormenting Luke in Ahch-To although Siths canonically cannot become Force ghosts. A popular theory is that Palpatine found a way to preserve his spirit after Darth Vader destroyed his body and is returning from a dormant period in the Beyond to reclaim the galaxy. "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012
Star Wars: Episode I – Rise of Skywalker
Star Wars: Episode II – Rises and Falls of Skywalker
Star Wars: Episode III – Fall of Skywalker
Star Wars: Episode IV – Rise of Skywalker
Star Wars: Episode V – Fall of Skywalker
Star Wars: Episode VI – Rise of Skywalker and Fall of Skywalker
Star Wars: Episode VII – Where is Skywalker?
Star Wars: Episode VIII – Fall of Skywalker
Star Wars: Episode IX – Rise of Skywalker

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Darth Vader.

Rise.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

These leaks are bad, I know in my heart theyre true

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Preston Waters posted:

I guarantee you the "Rise of Skywalker" has nothing to do with replacing the Jedi with his dumb family name or anything, and might not even have to do with Rey being a Skywalker (unless she just assumes the name). I'm betting on it referring to some kind of supernatural element concerning Luke or Rey, with one of them becoming one with the Force or some kind of spiritual version of the Resurrection but in the SW universe. Luke learning to transcend time and space by literally becoming the Force and restoring balance to it would make the title worth it.

lol it's almost like they're supposed to be lovely B-grade titles in the same vein as TV serials like Flash Gordon... :milk:

Maybe the new Republic is called Skywalker.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
TLJ had so many terrible leaks that were just complete lies I have no idea how people are listening to them again

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Wasn't one TLJ leak people believed for way too long was that Rey kills Kylo and Snoke reveals himself to be Palpatine somehow

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

sexpig by night posted:

Wasn't one TLJ leak people believed for way too long was that Rey kills Kylo and Snoke reveals himself to be Palpatine somehow

they predicted a shitload of stuff correctly though

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

"Couldn't we have landed closer?"

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I didn't even realize that was the Death Star til you guys pointed it out.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

This is the Death Egg after it crashes on Angel Island.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Schwarzwald posted:

This is the Death Egg after it crashes on Angel Island.

Instead of the normal opening theme, we get this instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2mS8jfn2pg

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The amount of teaser that is actually going to be in the film has surely hit an all time low not that it matters but lol

this feels like it's trying to visually rhyme with the crashed star destroyer in TFA

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 13, 2019

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

ruddiger posted:

I didn't even realize that was the Death Star til you guys pointed it out.

it seems way too small or it's incredibly far away

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Preston Waters posted:

lol it's almost like they're supposed to be lovely B-grade titles in the same vein as TV serials like Flash Gordon... :milk:

That's fine, but when you're a billion dollar franchise that's shoved down everyone's throat this hard, you can't also have the kitsch underground appeal. Pick one. They are incompatible.

Preston Waters posted:

I I'm just glad Rian Johnson finally showed something that was obvious to me since I first saw the OT light saber duels thirty years ago: just flick it on and off really quick!

This has always been bullshit from the beginning. You have a weapon that requires no actual force to cut and can come and go on a whim being swung around as if they required kinetic energy to do their thing like old school blades. Always a bit of a JUST GO WITH IT thing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

it seems way too small or it's incredibly far away

It's just the super laser dish part of the death star.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Preston Waters posted:

I too am completely sure the makers of a movie in 2019 took the time to ensure the name related to something long dead before the first, 40 year old, movie in the series was released.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

504 posted:

I too am completely sure the makers of a movie in 2019 took the time to ensure the name related to something long dead before the first, 40 year old, movie in the series was released.

I mean the aesthetic certainly has abandoned anything resembling Republic Serials a long time ago, so the entire argument is invalid.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

sexpig by night posted:

I'm gonna laugh if this is still true, and that Snoke was a "Force Ghost" (Sith Phantom since Sheev's bad) the whole time.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I'm loving dying at this thing. I loved it when I saw it on the leaked poster, love it more here. Can't wait to find out that he's like a 600 year old combat tactician or some poo poo. In my mind he is voiced by Bobcat Goldthwait, and although there is zero chance of that happening in the final film, it will always be true in my heart.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Instantly recognized that dude! Glad he's getting work again!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Great to see JJ try undo Rian Johnson's sjw movie, including by casting Ian "Enoch Powell wasn't racist" McDiarmid!

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Dark Skywalker Rises

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What are their forum's names?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

I love how despite the entire Death Star getting vaporized on screen, the dish apparently just detached like an escape pod and gently landed no worse for wear.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Someone on reddit suggested they’re looking for kyber crystals so Rey can craft her own lightsaber, which is why they’re heading for the second Death Star. Sounds interesting, but I personally doubt it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Darth TNT posted:

Palpatine back is equal parts disappointing and awesome.

I couldn't place how I felt about the cackle until you put it in words. Thank you.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It is the call of the "no fucks left to give" part of a franchise lifecycle, which can be either dreary or fun as hell.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I mean the EU introduced that idea way back when do that point is way behind us.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

teagone posted:

It's just the super laser dish part of the death star.

The dish alone is like 200 km across.

Of course, it's possible JJ has no sense of scale.

Even more of course, it could be a completely unrelated Death Star :thunk:

Preston Waters posted:

I guarantee you the "Rise of Skywalker" has nothing to do with replacing the Jedi with his dumb family name or anything, and might not even have to do with Rey being a Skywalker (unless she just assumes the name). I'm betting on it referring to some kind of supernatural element concerning Luke or Rey, with one of them becoming one with the Force or some kind of spiritual version of the Resurrection but in the SW universe. Luke learning to transcend time and space by literally becoming the Force and restoring balance to it would make the title worth it.

In one of the drafts for Return of the Jedi, Obi-Wan un-force-ghosts and comes back in the flesh, and considering how much they've previously been trying to be creative by re-using all kinds of stuff from discarded or reworked old ideas...

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

BigglesSWE posted:

I mean the EU introduced that idea way back when do that point is way behind us.

Everything old is new again.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mooey Cow posted:

The dish alone is like 200 km across.

Of course, it's possible JJ has no sense of scale.

Nah the second Death Star was something like 200km in diameter.

He does have no sense of scale though.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

galagazombie posted:

I love how despite the entire Death Star getting vaporized on screen, the dish apparently just detached like an escape pod and gently landed no worse for wear.

It looks pretty exploded and hosed up to me.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Nah the second Death Star was something like 200km in diameter.

He does have no sense of scale though.

It's 850 km in the movie; that's the scale they used when making the effects so everything would match up. But it would be funny if they dragged up some old RPG sourcebook and used that instead of the actual movie.

Edit: Tho, even if it was only 200 km, the dish would still be bigger than goddamn Mt Everest. And that would be insanely cool to see, a structure of that size.

Mooey Cow fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 13, 2019

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

You’re all tripping over yourselves having hot takes about how terrible the teaser was, but I loved it. Allow me to fanboy it up for a bit, if only just to provide a different opinion.

Hot drat, I love the opening scene with Rey. Whether it’s an actual fight or training, it’s visually stunning.
Confirmation that Lando is actually doing something, and not just sitting at Leia’s funeral or something.
Some fantastic narration from (probably) Force Ghost Luke, calling back to the “thousand generations” of Jedi, putting that all on Rey.
Palpatine back in some fashion? I want to know more but I love wondering what the gently caress is going on there.
The title gives me tons of questions, the same way The Last Jedi did, and (to a way lesser extent) the same way The Force Awakens did. I have theories, but there are several possibilities, and that’s great.

It did exactly what a teaser should do. It said, “Here’s a hint of what we’re doing. Get hyped.”

gently caress all y’all. I loved it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

You’re all tripping over yourselves having hot takes about how terrible the teaser was, but I loved it. Allow me to fanboy it up for a bit, if only just to provide a different opinion.

Hot drat, I love the opening scene with Rey. Whether it’s an actual fight or training, it’s visually stunning.
Confirmation that Lando is actually doing something, and not just sitting at Leia’s funeral or something.
Some fantastic narration from (probably) Force Ghost Luke, calling back to the “thousand generations” of Jedi, putting that all on Rey.
Palpatine back in some fashion? I want to know more but I love wondering what the gently caress is going on there.
The title gives me tons of questions, the same way The Last Jedi did, and (to a way lesser extent) the same way The Force Awakens did. I have theories, but there are several possibilities, and that’s great.

It did exactly what a teaser should do. It said, “Here’s a hint of what we’re doing. Get hyped.”

I really liked it too. Looks like it's going to be a good Star Wars movie.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

thrawn527 posted:

i loved it. it was much better than cats. i'm going to see it again and again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Has anyone said Episode 9: Retcon of the Jedi yet?