Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Plom Bar posted:

Content Warning: Ovipositioning

I don't have time to read the comic right now so I have no idea what's going on, but this post fills me with icy dread.

Who What Now posted:

lol, Hussie too lazy to even draw a single panel. Amazing.

To be fair: Hussie has made it very clear in the past that he doesn't really like doing art. I'm not surprised that he started outsourcing that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

why did i think the epilogue wouldn't involve artificial waits for more content. did i entirely forget what comic this is?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Zetapause baby

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I don't have time to read the comic right now so I have no idea what's going on, but this post fills me with icy dread.

Well for one it's not a comic. It's a parody of an ArchiveofOurOwn fantiction. Probably because like you said Hussie doesn't like making art but also didn't want to bother asking anyone else to do it either.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Who What Now posted:

Well for one it's not a comic. It's a parody of an ArchiveofOurOwn fantiction. Probably because like you said Hussie doesn't like making art but also didn't want to bother asking anyone else to do it either.

Oh. I don't want to read that. Could someone with more strength of will than me post a summary? If not, that's fine. I understand. That might even be better really.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Either read it or commit to not reading it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Oh. I don't want to read that. Could someone with more strength of will than me post a summary? If not, that's fine. I understand. That might even be better really.

Rose is having God Tier Disease Headaches, and tells John that he has to go back and finally beat up lord english with a team of past-self people for nebulous canon-related reasons.

Then John goes to talk to Roxy and Calliope and has a picnic.

Alitur
Jan 10, 2019
gently caress, the reason why it is a parody of AOOO is because it is "outside of canon", fuuuuck. gently caress you Hussie.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Plom Bar posted:

Either read it or commit to not reading it

You're right, Plom Bar you are wise as always.

I'll decide when I get done doing what I gotta do today, until then namaste.

Edit:

Tunicate posted:

Rose is having God Tier Disease Headaches, and tells John that he has to go back and finally beat up lord english with a team of past-self people for nebulous canon-related reasons.

Nevermind! Thanks for the summary bro.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Tunicate posted:

also, everyone has depression real bad

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

A 4/13 so half-assed 4fbf is only offering 13% off.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

To be continued?

Please Andrew, we can't keep doing this.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.

Valentin posted:

also, everyone has depression real bad

Hook it to my veins.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

They spend a lot of time talking about the levels of canonicity from Star Wars.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Another way to describe what Rose is saying is, “John, people were super-disappointed in our ending and got no emotional catharsis. You have to go back and give everything a satisfying resolution, or people will completely lose their investment, forget about us, and our lives will become meaningless.”

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

V said that it would take a long time to read. This, I expect, is what they meant.

Anyway I'm gonna bid you kind folks with a reminder that relapse does not erase your success and that progress is not a straight line. Love yourselves and make good choices!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
so i take it from rose's explanation that he'll have to save the original pre retcon version of the main cast. and i dont know how itll canonically affect this cast. from rose's and roxy's demeanor i imagine they'll become non essential, either meaning they'll fade away or retconning the retcon will make them vanish forever. Idk, spitballing

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

Anyway I'm gonna bid you kind folks with a reminder that relapse does not erase your success and that progress is not a straight line. Love yourselves and make good choices!

im sad about john coming to the realization that hes wasted his life and that he should've enjoyed himself more.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

"Epilogues" implies that there are going to be several threads to this story. And their being called that so soon before any evident splitting happens indicates that we may not have to wait long.

What's another three years, eh? I'm sure they'll just fly by.

edit: Also the MEAT or CANDY bit is a nod to some meta Hussie discusses more substantively in the books. It's all coming together.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I can't tell if Hussie intentionally made a rape joke on purpose in 2019 or if he is just that tone deaf from his prolonged Egbertian isolation that he doesn't realize that the content warning poo poo comes off badly.

Anyway "John, please don't be a bitch, I'm unwell, remember?" was good.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

ArfJason posted:

so i take it from rose's explanation that he'll have to save the original pre retcon version of the main cast. and i dont know how itll canonically affect this cast. from rose's and roxy's demeanor i imagine they'll become non essential, either meaning they'll fade away or retconning the retcon will make them vanish forever. Idk, spitballing

My understanding is that John has to go back and provide resolution to everything that was left undone by the ending. Because so much was unresolved, people feel like the ending was "wrong" or "didn't matter" or "wasn't really part of Homestuck," and thus the happy ending they earned with it was also somehow "wrong" or "less canon." People lost their investment in the story and moved on.

Fixing what was wrong means "filling in" the empty parts of the juju (which is, you remember, Homestuck itself), resolving the dangling storylines, and giving people the resolution they wanted, which will retroactively make the ending better and change people's impression of the story as a whole, thus "saving" the happy ending outside-of-canon by making it feel earned and not random.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Well that was a fun little distraction for today. I think I'll go back to livetweeting my playthroughs of the Danganronpa series and forgetting these forums exist. Until next time, friends!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Plom Bar posted:

Well that was a fun little distraction for today. I think I'll go back to livetweeting my playthroughs of the Danganronpa series and forgetting these forums exist. Until next time, friends!

Wait, before you go, which one are you up to? And are you just doing the numbered ones or are you doing the girl gun one too?

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

some production-side stuff: apparently the bulk of the prose is written by "cephied_variable," who seems to have a background in sad homestuck fanfic, and they've been working on this for at least a year and a half. hussie wrote all the dialogue.

https://twitter.com/vfromhomestuck/status/1117122301382864896

https://twitter.com/vfromhomestuck/status/1117123043447455746

https://twitter.com/cephiedvariable/status/1117112804132233216

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

curiousTerminal posted:

I can't tell if Hussie intentionally made a rape joke on purpose in 2019 or if he is just that tone deaf from his prolonged Egbertian isolation that he doesn't realize that the content warning poo poo comes off badly.

Anyway "John, please don't be a bitch, I'm unwell, remember?" was good.

im pretty sure he literally just copypasted every possible tag from that archive website but im not sure.

Rand Brittain posted:

My understanding is that John has to go back and provide resolution to everything that was left undone by the ending. Because so much was unresolved, people feel like the ending was "wrong" or "didn't matter" or "wasn't really part of Homestuck," and thus the happy ending they earned with it was also somehow "wrong" or "less canon." People lost their investment in the story and moved on.

Fixing what was wrong means "filling in" the empty parts of the juju (which is, you remember, Homestuck itself), resolving the dangling storylines, and giving people the resolution they wanted, which will retroactively make the ending better and change people's impression of the story as a whole, thus "saving" the happy ending outside-of-canon by making it feel earned and not random.

yeah, and i believe part of that was completely eradicating the entire REAL cast. I think this is especially supported by rose saying
"ROSE: Nothing too extravagant. Just different versions of us.

ROSE: Younger versions, from a particularly dysfunctional impasse in our journey."

Alitur
Jan 10, 2019
Ah, also, John has 2000% dying permanently or being unable to return to the out of canon state. Otherwise, Rose's behaviour at the end there makes little sense.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Wait, before you go, which one are you up to? And are you just doing the numbered ones or are you doing the girl gun one too?

I'm at Case 3 of the second game. I'm doing these in part because some one gifted them all to me on Steam, so if people want me to do the Ultra Despair Girls game too, they'll have to gift me that.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Plom Bar posted:

I'm at Case 3 of the second game. I'm doing these in part because some one gifted them all to me on Steam, so if people want me to do the Ultra Despair Girls game too, they'll have to gift me that.

Ooooo, you have some neat stuff ahead of you! Have fun!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Makes sense that the Homestuck Epilogue is posted on AO3, because it’s felt like fan fiction for a very long time.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Bogart posted:

Makes sense that the Homestuck Epilogue is posted on AO3, because it’s felt like fan fiction for a very long time.

I mean, you say that like you just thought of the joke, but "we screwed up the ending and now our story feels like fan fiction of itself" is literally the plot.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I’m gonna love myself and not read this. My ending to homestuck is that dead people stayed dead, glitches were used to satisfyingly remove English from the picture, and they won, with characters like Roxy and Jade getting catharsis for defeating their adversaries, and returned to a new-old world where everyone lives in harmony.

And there wasn’t any fuckin trickster mode.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I forgot it was the tenth anniversary.

Really wish Hussie would do something new instead of this weird, non-committal relationship with Homestuck. Like, if you wanna do that, fine, but at least do more than what feels more like performance art than actual content.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Incidentally, the list of characters does not include Equius or Nepeta. It does include Davepetasprite^2, but not Arquiusprite^2.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'll read it, for old times' sake.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Those times are gone Bill.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

curiousTerminal posted:

V made a statement about this. The tags are all 100% serious, as in all of the topics tagged are topics that are addressed in SOME fashion in the text. It doesn't mean that some one's literally going to rape some one else, but at some point the concept of "rape" is going to factor into the events and/or dialogue and the tag is there to ensure that no one is fully blindsided by that fact.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
This poo poo sucks worse than the fanfiction hussie wrote about all the vaudeville actors railing Jane.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I think this is really the end this time for real

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Oh that was really short. I guess it's ongoing.

Bogart posted:

Those times are gone Bill.

I don't expect them to come back. But the story seems to be setting itself up to be (or at least include) a discussion of why the ending didn't work for so many readers. The forces in the story that were handled recklessly and eventually nullified the basic ability of intelligent beings in all real and hypothetical planes of existence to give a poo poo, y'know? That's basically what we've been talking about in here for the past few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

I found a time machine to take everyone back to 2012 everyone get in let's go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0V9ALB3nVk