Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Translations for Dowman Sayman's Melancholia are now complete. I'm going to have to re-read this one from the beginning. Even though it starts out feeling like loosely-connected chapters like in Nickelodeon, everything is actually very tightly bound.

https://mangadex.org/title/20563/melancholia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I'd like to recommend joshikousei no muda zukai, wasteful lives of schoolgirls. It's basically danshi kokousei no nichijou but with girls. The dynamic is pretty similar, it's funny and it has even more characters. It's apparently getting an anime this summer.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

This just happens to be a link to the above manga, in case anyone wants to click it.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Nipponophile posted:

Translations for Dowman Sayman's Melancholia are now complete. I'm going to have to re-read this one from the beginning. Even though it starts out feeling like loosely-connected chapters like in Nickelodeon, everything is actually very tightly bound.

Well poo poo, I just noticed that he had an alphabet thing going with the chapter titles. Definitely gonna give it a reread too.

Leraika fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 6, 2019

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Huzzah! posted:

new Hakumei to Mikochi
Another day at the Library.
That is a Librarian who is Good At Their Job.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
New Kumika, in which the gang have a moon-viewing party.

Also, a Chinese 4koma about the everyday life of mythical beasts in modern China.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Scanlators skipped a couple chapters of Hinamatsuri for some reason, but this one seems fine out of context anyway:

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Nipponophile posted:

Thanks, I would have missed that!

Honestly, Dowman Sayman (or Douman Seiman or whatever) is one of my favorite mangakas; his works pretty much stand alone in the manga industry, but they couldn't have grown out of anything else than that industry with all its strange and uncomfortable depths. They fit this thread really well - the fact that they exist at all is rather surreal in itself.

By the way, his other ongoing manga, Oddman 11, is also getting translated again (if you don't know it, try to not get turned away by the first page, as hard as that is). By this point, the reverse-Scott-Pilgrim framework has mostly faded out, and the protagonist has recently started dating one of the ex-girlfriends.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Leraika posted:

Well poo poo, I just noticed that he had an alphabet thing going with the chapter titles. Definitely gonna give it a reread too.

Gave it a re-read myself and never noticed the chapter titles being alphabetical.

Carpator Diei posted:

Thanks, I would have missed that!

Honestly, Dowman Sayman (or Douman Seiman or whatever) is one of my favorite mangakas; his works pretty much stand alone in the manga industry, but they couldn't have grown out of anything else than that industry with all its strange and uncomfortable depths. They fit this thread really well - the fact that they exist at all is rather surreal in itself.

By the way, his other ongoing manga, Oddman 11, is also getting translated again (if you don't know it, try to not get turned away by the first page, as hard as that is). By this point, the reverse-Scott-Pilgrim framework has mostly faded out, and the protagonist has recently started dating one of the ex-girlfriends.
I've always likened Saiyan's works to Quentin Tarantino. Specifically stuff like his short from 4 rooms, or Pulp Fiction being pretty comparable to Voynich Hotel and the anachronistic nature of Melonchilia. He writes some really unique stuff that's hard to describe right now but they are always engaging. Even lesbian scott pilgrim is a great story.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Two more Senryu Girl

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
I am puzzled by the end of Melancholia. If the cat at the end is the one at the start, and the girl who tries to save the cat is the same as the one who tries to end the world, why is the world ending at the start of Melancholia?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Was the first chapter the start, or was it actually the end?

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
I have to appreciate the fact that the theme of cycles which nevertheless come to an end even extends to the reader's experience of combing through it. Coils within coils.

A jargogle fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 10, 2019

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
New Flying Witch, with Kei's bullshitery reaching new heights, and Nao showing some impressive skills.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

new Sleepy Princess
Poseidon is having an all-out battle with the Hero Time to go over the photos from the recent trip. So many memories.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Onean posted:

New Flying Witch, with Kei's bullshitery reaching new heights, and Nao showing some impressive skills.

This is how viral videos are made. Good job, Kei!!

The art looks a tad rough this time around, but I am super digging all the new characters.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Onean posted:

Volley! Of The Dead is 100% the kind of poo poo I would read.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

a Oneshot from the creator of Eldritch Senpai about a familiar robot maid. Not quite the same universe, but close enough.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Maid is good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol gently caress yeah

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

That's really cute but wow what's with the scanlator group name

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ah god drat it

I already have that guy blocked because the instant I saw his username a while back I was like "nope!"

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I love that the magical device is a cell phone and grandma is having trouble using all this newfangled technology

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Best retirement ever.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Her wand is a walking stick.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
a couple new Jahy-sama's dropped, in which she becomes a hero and then destroys herself with guilt

also a new Kumika

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Xun posted:

That's really cute but wow what's with the scanlator group name

idgi

Is there something bad about "SIOE"?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

hth

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Mikl posted:

idgi

Is there something bad about "SIOE"?

Yes. Very yes.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Kumika is in the ending stretch, it looks like.

Helvetica Scans posted:

We are finally able to announce the new schedule that we planned for the remaining chapters.

Starting from today we will release Kumika daily! So the exact schedule looks like this:

April 14th: Kumika Chapter 35

April 15th: Kumika Chapter 36

April 16th: Kumika Chapter 37

April 17th: Kumika Chapter 38, END

April 18th: SECRET SURPRISE RELEASE

As for the release time I’d say it’s something around 6pm CET which is 12pm EST. So the old Mousou time. May it rest in peace.

I'll be sad to see it go, I really enjoyed this manga.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

:stonk:

loving hell

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Politics and scanlation, two great tastes that wait no oh god I'm so very very sorry, this was a terrible mistake,

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
desu vult scans

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Elfface posted:

Her wand is a walking stick.
Either that or a croquet mallet.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Crasical posted:

Politics and scanlation, two great tastes that wait no oh god I'm so very very sorry, this was a terrible mistake,
Eh, As long as people keep their politics out of the actual translations the group name doesn't really matter. It's a bad mix when you start getting translator notes or incredibly distasteful credit pages.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

nerdz posted:

desu vult scans

We must secure the existence of anime and... aggh... god I can't finish.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
Link dump time:

Kumika and the gang go mountain climbing.

In Mizore-chan, Rin the vampire has an embarrassing secret.

In Tamamo-chan, the sisters have a day off.

And in Our Lives After the Apocalypse, it's time to meet our first living human.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
New Kumika, wherein a mistake in restaurant service brings our protagonist to tears.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Crasical posted:

New Kumika, wherein a mistake in restaurant service brings our protagonist to tears.
Welp, sometimes life is the most bitter spice of them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's a new manga out called I'm from japan, which is about a kid who created a martial arts style based on the local culture, attractions and resources from each prefecture in japan. It's dumb as hell, giving me Sexy commando vibes. It's played a bit more straight than SM with an extreme shounen aura, though.