Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah the anchor isn't even bolted onto the wall, so really those ties are just holding the anchor in place, not holding the beam up at all.

It’s got to be bolted on the other side or that’s some Wile E. Coyote physics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

So Math posted:

Misplace your soldering iron? Simple! Just plug an ordinary pencil into the wall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BGSy4M27vw

I want to beat this person into a amalgamation of youtube tropes purely for their awful solder technique.

E: you don't let it blob like that, that means it's too cold to bond to anything even itself. When it wicks, it's warm enough.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 13, 2019

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Bit of light-hearted OSHA stuff.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Parker/status/1116737486280114176

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol if you don’t have a few of these dogs kicking around in a drawer:

Maybe the LASER needs that n‐key rollover.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

So Math posted:

Misplace your soldering iron? Simple! Just plug an ordinary pencil into the wall.

I love the fact that someone in Asia thought GERMANY was the relevant part in branding a pencil.

e: While also having no idea what "sepia" means.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

So Math posted:

I actually used the pencil soldering iron trick on a job site about twenty years ago when stuck on a mountainside working on a crapped out remote cell tower power management system and salvaging parts off other broken gear that had been left behind when things were upgraded. I felt like I was doing some post-apocalyptic poo poo.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Platystemon posted:

lol if you don’t have a few of these dogs kicking around in a drawer:

Maybe the LASER needs that n‐key rollover.
Those don't actually work with most modern keyboards/mice. They're just dumb wire adapters that connect PS/2 signals to the USB connector. As a result the keyboard/mouse itself must be able to speak PS/2 over its USB connector.

It's pretty safe to say if your device didn't ship with one of those adapters it won't work with one.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's not like you can't still prime now a ps2 keyboard

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

Bit of light-hearted OSHA stuff.

https://twitter.com/BadAstronomer/status/1116739381090406405

Phil Plait :allears:

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/fastbreakbreak/status/1117103565242290176

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Jerry Cotton posted:

I love the fact that someone in Asia thought GERMANY was the relevant part in branding a pencil.

e: While also having no idea what "sepia" means.

My favorite is the third one: spend an hour building a contraption that explodes alcohol to save yourself the trouble le of walking 30 feet to litter.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

EKDS5k posted:

My favorite is the third one: spend an hour building a contraption that explodes alcohol to save yourself the trouble le of walking 30 feet to litter.

I see you're not in software development.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

EKDS5k posted:

What if the sea is 30 feet away and you attach a car battery to the bottle?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wolrah posted:

Those don't actually work with most modern keyboards/mice. They're just dumb wire adapters that connect PS/2 signals to the USB connector. As a result the keyboard/mouse itself must be able to speak PS/2 over its USB connector.

It's pretty safe to say if your device didn't ship with one of those adapters it won't work with one.

I knew that that’s how they worked; didn’t know chips had dropped support for them.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I once saw some scientists order those adapters in the hope that they could plug in a USB drive to pull data off of an old computer (this was probably 2017).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Dr. Despair posted:

I once saw some scientists order those adapters in the hope that they could plug in a USB drive to pull data off of an old computer (this was probably 2017).

They thought the keyboard port would work like a USB port?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Yup, why else would that adapter turn it into a USB port :kiddo:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Despair posted:

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

They call it the Sega Genesis Maneuver.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Origin posted:

They call it the Sega Genesis Maneuver.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

hahahahaha

Those of you who have ventured into the BFC subforum at any point in the last decade will be familiar with the poster child for Bad With Money, zuarg.

zuarg is knowingly buying a condo with federal pacific breakers.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

shame on an IGA posted:

That thread is gonna be fire

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

shame on an IGA posted:

hahahahaha

Those of you who have ventured into the BFC subforum at any point in the last decade will be familiar with the poster child for Bad With Money, zuarg.

What does replacing that poo poo entail?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Depends on the local authority but most of the time replacing the main panel requires bringing literally everything downstream to code.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

shame on an IGA posted:

hahahahaha

What

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Dr. Despair posted:

Yup, why else would that adapter turn it into a USB port :kiddo:

wowza

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

quote:

If your home was built between 1950 and 1990 and is equipped with a Federal Pacific Electric (FPE) circuit breaker panel with Stab-Lok circuit breakers, you run a significant risk of breaker malfunction and fire.

Multiple tests done on the breakers since the 1980s have proven that one in four Stab-Lok breakers are defective and will not properly trip off. Unfortunately, when the testing began in the early 1980s, a New Jersey court later ruled that FPE committed testing fraud and a cover-up, labeling the breakers as meeting the standards set by the UL when in reality, they were defective.

In 1983, the Consumer Product Safety Commission closed its two-year investigation and felt it impossible to create a product recall at the time because of budget issues, even as Federal Pacific panels and breakers continued to be installed in millions of homes that to this day still run the risk of an electrical fire. An estimated 2,800 fires each year directly result from Federal Pacific panel breaker malfunction. Federal Pacific Electric has been out of business for many years, but the danger and damage caused by their negligence continues.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
https://i.imgur.com/mMPSR2u.mp4

Seems appropriate.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Be careful where you shoot your fire arrows.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
It's estimated that a dozen people die and the fires cause an estimated $40 million due to stab loks each year.

The design is so bad that even turning the breaker to OFF doesn't always work.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Kinda surprised at the naïveté at stab lock itt.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
:stare:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

80 breakers, 20% labeled, all stab lok

truly a cursed image

Burt Sexual posted:

Kinda surprised at the naïveté at stab lock itt.

Yah. I could have sworn I've posted about it before but it must have been in the crappy construction thread.

To anybody that hasn't clued in yet: Seeing a Stab-Lok, Federal Pacific, American Circuit Breaker Corporation, Challenger, Thomas & Betts, or Connecticut Electric/Unique Breakers, UBI panel/breakers is a HARD NO. Do not buy, do not rent. If you can even **get** insurance on a place with stab-loks they'll probably have wording in your policy to deny your claim in the event of a fire. They spent decades falsifying test results and they're unbelievably bad. 1 out of every 3 breaker is defective. There's no point in having an electrician come in to "evaluate" the box: it has to be replaced.

The thing that's explicitly designed to prevent your home from burning down shouldn't be one of the big causes of homes burning down. Buying a place with Stab-Loks is like owning a fire extinguisher that's known to occasionally burst into flames and kill a bunch of people.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Here's your yearly "Worst home inspections photos" from StructureTech, a home inspection company that realtors hate.

https://structuretech1.com/top-20-home-inspection-photos-2018/

Pretty tame this year

BeatmasterJ special:

Uhhhh

"Would you walk on this? We didn’t."

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Stab-locked! :discourse:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MisterOblivious posted:

80 breakers, 20% labeled, all stab lok

truly a cursed image

Yah. I could have sworn I've posted about it before but it must have been in the crappy construction thread.

To anybody that hasn't clued in yet: Seeing a Stab-Lok, Federal Pacific, American Circuit Breaker Corporation, Challenger, Thomas & Betts, or Connecticut Electric/Unique Breakers, UBI panel/breakers is a HARD NO. Do not buy, do not rent. If you can even **get** insurance on a place with stab-loks they'll probably have wording in your policy to deny your claim in the event of a fire. They spent decades falsifying test results and they're unbelievably bad. 1 out of every 3 breaker is defective. There's no point in having an electrician come in to "evaluate" the box: it has to be replaced.

The thing that's explicitly designed to prevent your home from burning down shouldn't be one of the big causes of homes burning down. Buying a place with Stab-Loks is like owning a fire extinguisher that's known to occasionally burst into flames and kill a bunch of people.

Awesome, it would be like living in star trek!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

MisterOblivious posted:

To anybody that hasn't clued in yet: Seeing a Stab-Lok, Federal Pacific, American Circuit Breaker Corporation, Challenger, Thomas & Betts, or Connecticut Electric/Unique Breakers, UBI panel/breakers is a HARD NO. Do not buy, do not rent. If you can even **get** insurance on a place with stab-loks they'll probably have wording in your policy to deny your claim in the event of a fire.

My place solved this by just painting over the entire box up to the breakers. Just make it hard for anyone to see it, problem solved.