Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Iger said this back in March: "And at some point fairly soon after launch it will house the entire Disney motion picture library, so the movies that you speak of that traditionally have been kept in a “vault” and brought out basically every few years will be on the service."

I hope that actually happens. That's a huge amount of content. I'm even more looking forward to the same thing happening with the Fox movie catalog.

edit: The service is also ad-free and supports 4K if you were wondering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

They might put Disney Channel Originals on there too. Lots of them have significant nostalgia factor.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

The MSJ posted:

They might put Disney Channel Originals on there too. Lots of them have significant nostalgia factor.

Johnny Tsunami bitches

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Every Disney Channel Original Movie is included confirmed. That means I can get my Smart House and Brink on. Team Pup 'N Suds, bitch.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Silence has some rather obvious DNA from other movies (what if sound was the monster) but it's got Stanley Tucci and it actually goes places I didn't expect. Solid 7/10, worth a watch.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
They mention they want Disney+ to be Family and Kid friendly only. So basically the Disney channel streaming? I don't know, I'll need to see a full line up. If it's totally not rated R stuff, then I will probably pass. As much as I like the Star Wars Marvel offerings its not enough for me to subscribe.

Also, I'm glad there are other Cosmic horror poo poo I can watch now that I didn't know existed! Got a bunch of cool recs in this thread to check out.

Edit:

quote:

Iger also said Disney is not ruling out licensing third-party content, so long as "the product fits within the Disney brand". Nothing R-rated will be carried, therefore.

That's a hard pass. Streaming services are thriving because they can show content traditional TV cannot. If you have kids, it'll probably be a no brainer, though.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 12, 2019

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I hope Disney+ is gonna have the Simpsons commentary.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

I hope Disney+ is gonna have the Simpsons commentary.

I feel like that is definitely gonna make or break it for me.

That and having the old episodes in 4:3, of course.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
They already showed off what looks like bonus features for movies so there's a drat good possibility of commentaries being available.

Honestly, I don't need an R rated section because that's what Netflix and Shudder are for. 6.99 a month though for everything Marvel/Star Wars/Disney/Nat Geo related? That's a loving steal.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Do any of the current streaming services do commentary tracks? It's the sole thing I miss about my disc based media.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Enos Cabell posted:

Do any of the current streaming services do commentary tracks? It's the sole thing I miss about my disc based media.

I know iTunes used to do this.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Enos Cabell posted:

Shudder has a few from people who are closer with the site.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

OldTennisCourt posted:

If you like horror then I HIGHLY recommend Savageland on Prime. It's found footage BUT it's done in the much easier to digest documentary style rather than shaky cam.

It also has one of the coolest and most unique methods of presenting it's scares I've seen in a long while and takes a normally style idea and makes it legitimately one of the most chilling and creepy films I've seen in years.

Go into it totally blind because the slow discovery of what it's about is one of it's biggest delights.

I wouldn't call it "one of the most" chilling and/or creepy, but it was good.

I think the idea was (monster spoilers) they weren't traditional zombies, but some kind of possessing spirit/demon, which is why they didn't show up properly in photos and didn't keep stumbling around after that night.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Philthy posted:

They mention they want Disney+ to be Family and Kid friendly only. So basically the Disney channel streaming? I don't know, I'll need to see a full line up. If it's totally not rated R stuff, then I will probably pass. As much as I like the Star Wars Marvel offerings its not enough for me to subscribe.

Also, I'm glad there are other Cosmic horror poo poo I can watch now that I didn't know existed! Got a bunch of cool recs in this thread to check out.

Edit:

That's a hard pass. Streaming services are thriving because they can show content traditional TV cannot. If you have kids, it'll probably be a no brainer, though.

They're putting all the mature stuff on Hulu, so if you're already subscribed to that you're all good. The High Fidelity series Disney is making was moved there for this reason.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Black Summer on netflix is exactly as bad as you think it is

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Savageland loving sucked poo poo

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

fenix down posted:

What about Boardwalk Empire? (I'm adding some stuff to my HBO watch list as well)

Definitely one of weaker HBO dramas that never really lived up to the potential of it's pedigree. Without a doubt it has it's moments but Steve Buscemi just doesn't have the sheer force of personality that gave The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Deadwood, et al. that magnetic pull that keeps the other characters (and viewers) in his orbit. He's just kinda peevish and inscrutable for most of the show.

But the costumes, sets, music, acting (mostly), and historical bits of flair were all pretty flawless. I'd say if season one grabs you give it a shot, it more or less stays pretty consistent overall.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Spy Who Fell To Earth is a really drat good documentary on Netflix. Not only fascinating subject but it's made super super well.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I always liked Boardwalk Empire but yea it's very much a show if season 1 doesn't grab you don't bother

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really liked Boardwalk Empire but the last couple of seasons are terrible.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

clean ayers act posted:

I watched the first episode and I liked it so far. It reminds me of the beginning of the 2004 Dawn of the Dead.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Netflix added Observe and Report, probably my favorite dark comedy.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

If you have Prime, check out the Foot Fist Way.

I’d also recommend Jody Hill’s stuff on HBO: Eastbound and Down, Vice Principals.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Enos Cabell posted:

The newly launched Criterion Channel has them for some movies.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The MSJ posted:

They're putting all the mature stuff on Hulu, so if you're already subscribed to that you're all good. The High Fidelity series Disney is making was moved there for this reason.

I do have Hulu and I had no idea they owned it.

Well poo poo on me.

Watched Savageland.

It was okay. I think this would have made a really excellent short film, but as it was, the mystery hanging on a bunch of photos for the entire length of the movie was just too much. This could have been compressed down into a 30 minute film and it would have elevated it instead of just feeling drawn out forever.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 13, 2019

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Donald Glover's Guava Island is up on Amazon Prime Video, free to watch for today looks like

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B07QDTYKJ3/ref=atv_hm_hom_1_c_ZWyNDQ_UQ8NPm_1_2

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Apr 13, 2019

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Philthy posted:

Well poo poo on me.

Both Disney and Fox had shares in Hulu. Now that Disney owns most of Fox, Hulu shares included, Disney also owns most of Hulu.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Philthy posted:

Well poo poo on me.

Watched Savageland.

It was okay. I think this would have made a really excellent short film, but as it was, the mystery hanging on a bunch of photos for the entire length of the movie was just too much. This could have been compressed down into a 30 minute film and it would have elevated it instead of just feeling drawn out forever.

Them saying the photos were real good then showing said photos was a stitch

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Forever on Prime is really good. Go in knowing nothing, the first few episodes throw curveballs.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Paul ReiserFS posted:

Forever on Prime is really good. Go in knowing nothing, the first few episodes throw curveballs.

Seconded very hard, holy poo poo haha

Other good new stuff on Prime:

Pauly Shore Stands Alone - worth a watch even, probably especially, if you hated the Weez.

Infinity Baby - a banger cast and 70 minute runtime, good deal

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

clean ayers act posted:

It actually gets much better, the 6th episode is amazing

unfortunately, it follows the trope early on that every survivor is a loving moron

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Well, one survivor's gimmick is that he's a doofus, so he checks out

I liked Black Summer overall. Some deaths surprised me, some didn't, and ultimately I'm not burned out on zombie TV shows or media at least in part because I haven't watched a ton of the more recent genre product. If it were a wrestling show I'd say that I was sports entertained.

Also, yes, episode 6 was really good. Easily my favorite.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I lost interest about halfway or so, but the whole drama about whether or not he'll go along with throwing the woman out was so silly. Personal survival isn't about everyone having big muscles, it's about if you have a friend that has your back. If you murder your only friend, you'll be next, no matter how big your muscles are.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Another Netflix price hike. Yeesh they are really pushing it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

veni veni veni posted:

Another Netflix price hike. Yeesh they are really pushing it.

Is it really a good idea to do this just as Disney+ is coming out at 7 a month?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Rirse posted:

Is it really a good idea to do this just as Disney+ is coming out at 7 a month?
Probably better to do it now than after Disney+ actually launches in 7 months.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel kind of weirdly locked into netflix at this point. I often wonder if it's really worth it but I know I'd miss it if I cancelled.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Netflix is basically the cornerstone of my streaming setup and has by far the best ui and selection of original content, so I'm willing to put up with some price hikes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Netflix always has a lot of stuff on it i'm interested in, honestly. I mean, it might be a weird anime or obscure Korean movie, but they get by on quantity still, over Hulu and Amazon which have less quantity but much higher highs (Patriot, motherfuckers!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Somehow I never saw this before, and 20 minutes in and they use the extremely obscure band McLusky song "Lightsaber Cocksucking Blues" so I am already obligated to love it