Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Does anybody have novel ideas for bun toys? She is singularly uninterested in anything made of twigs or wicker, doesn't care about paper towel rolls, etc. I haven't tried anything plastic yet. She is only interested in chewing on paper and people's shoes. I thought about maybe a phonebook if I can verify the ink, but I really don't want her eating a shitload of paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

RichterIX posted:

Does anybody have novel ideas for bun toys? She is singularly uninterested in anything made of twigs or wicker, doesn't care about paper towel rolls, etc. I haven't tried anything plastic yet. She is only interested in chewing on paper and people's shoes. I thought about maybe a phonebook if I can verify the ink, but I really don't want her eating a shitload of paper.

Believe it or not, had the same problem with Harriet. My dad found out she likes to play fetch with a small rubber ball. Roll it near the bun and she'll play with it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
My buns liked to grab tennis balls by the fuzz and toss them around.

Also try filling paper towel rolls with hay and fruit/treats etc, to incite them to chew.

If you get blue apron, I liked filling the paper containers that tomatoes came in with goodies.

Buns also love puzzle enrichment toys and they makes some decent cheap ones out of like wood and rope that you can hide smelly treats in.

There’s a plastic green and white puzzle enrichment toy on chewy.com for like 7 bucks that involves a sliding disk and like cups and poo poo that people really seem to love

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Thanks friends! She's never seemed particularly bored until we expanded her pen and now out of either a surplus of space or a newly rekindled hatred of us for changing her surroundings she's gotten a little more destructive.

DaiTengu
Feb 26, 2007

Not until I've had my second pot of coffee.
Nap Ghost
Those little stacking cups for babbys are a hit with all our buns. You need to watch them though and make sure they aren't going to just chew the crap out of them. Little wood cat toys that they can push around, along with grass balls you can find in the small pet area of the pet store.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Carrots has been very adventurous with standing up and reaching for things. I had my cell phone on a coaster on our coffee table, and the coaster was just slightly hanging over the edge. He stood up and grabbed on to the edge of the coaster with his mouth and pulled it off the table, causing my phone to come crashing down on top of him.

I think his ego was hurt more than anything.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Well, the good news is that Carrots will likely be terrified of your phone from now on and won't want to go near it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
This guy came home with me on Saturday

He's skittish I don't have any good pictures.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Is that an English lop?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Such a regal looking bun

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Is that an English lop?
Totally, his ears are like big fuzzy bananas and he trips over them all the time.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Totally, his ears are like big fuzzy bananas and he trips over them all the time.
They're one of my favorite breeds.

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

Hello Bun Thread,

I hope you folks don't mind me sad-posting, but I'm having a really hard time.

My sweet 11-year old girl had to be euthanized yesterday after a year-long respiratory infection that antibiotics couldn't beat and worsening arthritis. She still ate and was very affectionate til the end, but was having increasingly severe sneezing attacks and trouble getting around. I held her in my arms and cried like a baby as she passed.

I work from home, so I spent all day with her laying under my desk for so many years. In the evenings, I'd lay on the floor and she'd come running over, demand pets and sit up against me while I played video games (goon). The house feels so empty, sad and quiet and I haven't slept. I desperately hope she wasn't scared in her last moments and hope she could sense my wife and I holding and petting her.

RIP, sweet bun.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Fart Johnson posted:

RIP, sweet bun.

Goondoleances man, she seemed like a really sweet bun. Take comfort in the fact that you provided her with the best care she could ever hope for. :unsmith:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I've been having a pet bunny for a while, his name is Applesauce.

I got him off craigslist, which probably wasn't the best choice, as he's really skittish about human contact. Took a few months to get him to accept headpats. He's terrified of hardwood floors, so half of the apartment is covered in blankets so he can roam around, but his favorite spot is on my PS4 as it heats up.
He's a lil gremlin, but I love him to bits

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I've already had issues with Ludo spraying on the couch once he settles and gets comfortable on it. But it's only been 2 weeks since he was neutered; can I expect that to taper off?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Fart Johnson posted:

RIP, sweet bun.

You done right by her.

Goondolences.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fart Johnson posted:

Hello Bun Thread,

I hope you folks don't mind me sad-posting, but I'm having a really hard time.

My sweet 11-year old girl had to be euthanized yesterday after a year-long respiratory infection that antibiotics couldn't beat and worsening arthritis. She still ate and was very affectionate til the end, but was having increasingly severe sneezing attacks and trouble getting around. I held her in my arms and cried like a baby as she passed.

I work from home, so I spent all day with her laying under my desk for so many years. In the evenings, I'd lay on the floor and she'd come running over, demand pets and sit up against me while I played video games (goon). The house feels so empty, sad and quiet and I haven't slept. I desperately hope she wasn't scared in her last moments and hope she could sense my wife and I holding and petting her.

RIP, sweet bun.
Excellent rabbit. 11 years is a great life.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Goondolences Fart Johnson. Letting go of my Chompsky was one of the hardest things I ever did. Be happy knowing you provided her with a good, long life.

Question for the thread, though I'm not too hopeful. At work my shifts alternate from week to week (usually). Some weeks I don't have to go in to work until either 10 or 11 am, and then other weeks I either have to be in by 6 or 7 am. On the weeks when I have to go in early, I usually wake up around 4 or 5, and just sort of drink coffee, read the forums/news, etc. before getting ready. However, when carrots sees/hears anyone awake, he immediately thinks it's eating time and if I don't feed him, he starts throwing a huge fit in his cage. Normally I would just say gently caress it, it's not food time and you can chill until it is, but we live in a lofted apartment and he tends to wake up my girlfriend who is still asleep, so I eventually cave and give him his pellets. Of course once he gets low on pellets he usually loudly throws his bowl because why not.

Is there any way to discourage this kind of behavior? We usually cover his cage at night with a blanket but he can still hear me and see the light come on when I get up.

Bonus pic of the rear end in a top hat at the vet.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvAdOvQFUhX/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

BAE OF PIGS fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 27, 2019

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Not that I'm aware of, our rabbits also lose their minds if there are people around.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

maybe clicker training so that bun knows clicker means food not people? That or an auto feeder so humans aren’t involved at all.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
My bun freaks out less when we feed her on a steady schedule but that would involve you getting up at 4 or 5 on your late days which would suck

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BAE OF PIGS posted:

(rabbit schedule biz)

Rabbits should get pellets at feeding times but they should have access to timothy hay and water ad libitum. Beyond keeping him entertained and sated (no bun is going to get obese on all-you-can-eat hay) it prevents GI stasis, as in the wild/on a farm he’d be grazing nonstop.

If you or your gf walk by Carrots’ cage and he doesn’t have hay in the manger then it’s time to put another handful of hay in it- this is why hang-on mangers are great and they’re relatively easy to make if you don’t want to buy one/it isn’t big enough.

For the thread, more broadly- if buying bags of Oxbow hay at Petco/Petsfart at $30 a pop becomes prohibitive (when I had 3 buns it got wicked expensive fast), you can get amounts in sizes like 8lb bushels and 50lb boxes for exponentially less money from online stores. The best, though, is if you can find a hay farmer or farming supply/feed store locally where you can buy bushels as needed. I hear craigslist is good for finding said farms but I ain’t driving out to NH for hay savings.

My ex and I used to go through about 75lbs of hay a year and we’d order it in a 50lb box from Drs Foster and Smith for like $70 I think. It’s a real pain in the rear end to deal with that much hay in an apartment, let me tell you, but it beats dropping like $60 a month on the bags.

Next time I do it with a bun or two of my own I think I’ll split the difference and go with something like 8 or 25lbs. Just get a lidded bin of some kind and make sure you have the hay accessible so you can just shove it into the manger as you go about your day.

Also- Make sure it is Timothy Hay, all other hay is inferior for sweet soft rabs

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

RichterIX posted:

My bun freaks out less when we feed her on a steady schedule but that would involve you getting up at 4 or 5 on your late days which would suck

I've started hiding pellets in Broussette's stacking cups (awesome toy for rabbits btw) which was all fun and games until she decided dropping them on the wooden floor at 5 am was an acceptable way of asking for food. :reject:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I've started hiding pellets in Broussette's stacking cups (awesome toy for rabbits btw) which was all fun and games until she decided dropping them on the wooden floor at 5 am was an acceptable way of asking for food. :reject:

Yeah, if my ex and I didn’t feed before bed somebody would kick their food dish down the ramp/stairs of their cage at like 4 am.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Last night Ludo sat on my lap and a) miraculously didn't pee, but b) made this weird wet belching noise a couple times. I've read that rabbits can't belch or vomit and don't cough up hairballs, so I wondered if it's something to be concerned about. I started worrying that he wasn't getting enough hay and it's a GI issue, but his appetite is as strong as ever.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yeah, if my ex and I didn’t feed before bed somebody would kick their food dish down the ramp/stairs of their cage at like 4 am.

This reminds me, after all my worrying about covering the slats in the upstairs of Lil's new hutch, she steadfastly refuses to go up there. It doesn't really bother me other than that she could have so much more space when we aren't there if she'd just use it. Maybe I need to chop up some dill or cilantro or something else suitably fragrant and put it up there, but I'm not sure she's even smart enough to figure that out considering sometimes when I'm trying to give her a treat she starts frantically headbutting and smelling my hand trying to find the thing that is centimeters from her mouth.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

RichterIX posted:

This reminds me, after all my worrying about covering the slats in the upstairs of Lil's new hutch, she steadfastly refuses to go up there. It doesn't really bother me other than that she could have so much more space when we aren't there if she'd just use it. Maybe I need to chop up some dill or cilantro or something else suitably fragrant and put it up there, but I'm not sure she's even smart enough to figure that out considering sometimes when I'm trying to give her a treat she starts frantically headbutting and smelling my hand trying to find the thing that is centimeters from her mouth.

Put her food and water upstairs and her litter downstairs. Force her to use and explore all of the enclosure.

When the trio was moved into their three floor Leith cage, the first maybe two days were awful as they learned how ramps work and got over their fear. For the first day a rabbit would crouch at the top of a ramp and just awkwardly butt-slide or shamble down. Spock would literally sit on his rear end and do a half-roll off the side.

By day 4 they were shooting up and down the ramps like they’d lived there forever.

She’ll probably figure it out on her own with time if you let her but stuff like predator instinct might mean that she gets super freaked out if somebody sees her there. As long as she doesn’t have mobility issues I recommend doing the food/water thing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Last night Ludo sat on my lap and a) miraculously didn't pee, but b) made this weird wet belching noise a couple times. I've read that rabbits can't belch or vomit and don't cough up hairballs, so I wondered if it's something to be concerned about. I started worrying that he wasn't getting enough hay and it's a GI issue, but his appetite is as strong as ever.
Buy a stethoscope. You can also hold your ear to his stomach, but stethoscope is better. You're listening for continuous bubbling and popping sounds that would indicate gas. If he's still eating and peeing then it's probably not stasis, but gas is easy to treat and the discomfort can lead to stasis if it continues.

It might also just have been a weird grunt or one of those bizarre squeaking sounds some rabbits make sometimes. Our Harlequin makes weird little gulpy squeak sounds when cleaning himself sometimes. Rabbits are weird and dumb.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Rabbits should get pellets at feeding times but they should have access to timothy hay and water ad libitum. Beyond keeping him entertained and sated (no bun is going to get obese on all-you-can-eat hay) it prevents GI stasis, as in the wild/on a farm he’d be grazing nonstop.

If you or your gf walk by Carrots’ cage and he doesn’t have hay in the manger then it’s time to put another handful of hay in it- this is why hang-on mangers are great and they’re relatively easy to make if you don’t want to buy one/it isn’t big enough.

For the thread, more broadly- if buying bags of Oxbow hay at Petco/Petsfart at $30 a pop becomes prohibitive (when I had 3 buns it got wicked expensive fast), you can get amounts in sizes like 8lb bushels and 50lb boxes for exponentially less money from online stores. The best, though, is if you can find a hay farmer or farming supply/feed store locally where you can buy bushels as needed. I hear craigslist is good for finding said farms but I ain’t driving out to NH for hay savings.

My ex and I used to go through about 75lbs of hay a year and we’d order it in a 50lb box from Drs Foster and Smith for like $70 I think. It’s a real pain in the rear end to deal with that much hay in an apartment, let me tell you, but it beats dropping like $60 a month on the bags.

Next time I do it with a bun or two of my own I think I’ll split the difference and go with something like 8 or 25lbs. Just get a lidded bin of some kind and make sure you have the hay accessible so you can just shove it into the manger as you go about your day.

Also- Make sure it is Timothy Hay, all other hay is inferior for sweet soft rabs

We always make sure he has plenty oh hay. Hes just a dick

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

We've had a great time ordering hay from Small Pet Select. The quality is good, it comes in boxes rather than bags so it's not all crushed up and dusty, and it's way cheaper. Order the "second cutting" timothy hay, it's soft and tasty for rabbits without being too protein-heavy.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Buy a stethoscope. You can also hold your ear to his stomach, but stethoscope is better. You're listening for continuous bubbling and popping sounds that would indicate gas. If he's still eating and peeing then it's probably not stasis, but gas is easy to treat and the discomfort can lead to stasis if it continues.

It might also just have been a weird grunt or one of those bizarre squeaking sounds some rabbits make sometimes. Our Harlequin makes weird little gulpy squeak sounds when cleaning himself sometimes. Rabbits are weird and dumb.

Fancy and pygmy breeds often have “baby faces” and I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of them are subject to the same brachycephaly issues that dogs and cats are. I dunno what the actual morphological data is on that tho. Probably hasn’t been studied ever.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Fancy and pygmy breeds often have “baby faces” and I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of them are subject to the same brachycephaly issues that dogs and cats are. I dunno what the actual morphological data is on that tho. Probably hasn’t been studied ever.
Wouldn't surprise me. Holland Lops can. Our Harlequin has sinus problems as a result of a tooth deformity at birth.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
The war of attrition has begun. Food and water are on the upper level of Lillian's hutch. She watched me put them up there and is now repeatedly flopping in some kind of vain attempt to show me how little she cares.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

RichterIX posted:

The war of attrition has begun. Food and water are on the upper level of Lillian's hutch. She watched me put them up there and is now repeatedly flopping in some kind of vain attempt to show me how little she cares.

Put her upstairs too. Force her to face the ramp!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Ludo kept making GBS threads and pissing right next to his litter box instead of in it. I figured out that since they like to eat hay while they poop, he was therefore pooping wherever he ate hay. Solution: just slide the litter box next to the hayrack. Seems to have worked.

Because of the various messes and his magical ability to undo two carabiners closing his pen, we moved him from a pen to a dog crate. It's about the same amount of space, but I felt bad, so I used the pen to make a fence that divides the laundry room in half. Since I've bunny-proofed the rest of the laundry room, he has the run of it and the adjoining hallway when we're at home. He also kept dragging his ears through his water bowl, so we switched him to a bottle. It took him awhile to get the hang of it and I worried about dehydration constantly, but he figured it out. Another advantage of a crate is that I can fit the hay rack and bottle on it, giving him more floor space.

Really I worry way too much about giving him the precise balance of hay and pellets and vegetables. The bunny rescue operator said we were going to need to buy whole bales of hay because he'd go through it so fast, but we let him eat as much as he wants and there is still plenty left. He's about 10lbs. and I'm giving him 1/2 cup of pellets and up to a cup of greens and vegetables a day. (This is in accordance with the guidelines in the approximately two dozen rabbit books that my wife checked out from every local library. I have read a book on house rabbits and a book on lops specifically and I think that's enough.)

One of our parrots absolutely loves him, calls him "pretty bird" and preens his fur whenever he gets the chance.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 8, 2019

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

what sort of vegetables are you giving? I'd be giving a 10lb rabbit more greens than that but i normally wouldn't give any veg.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Mostly kale and the same "spring mix" that I'm eating, with small amounts of carrot, celery, bell pepper, and occasionally brussels sprouts.

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

sounds tasty! fair enough, i was counting kale,leaves etc as greens :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013
I somehow missed this thread and started another unnecessarily. Oops.

Thought I'd share this nutcase. Attila the bun.