Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

redleader posted:

the scale of tragedy is just unimaginable. the UN predicts 35-700 million climate refugees by 2050 (or something like that. I can't remember the exact numbers or timeframe but it doesn't matter). like, what the gently caress does 35 million people mean? then bump that meaningless number up by an order or magnitude and double it again. it's totally inconceivable. it's one tenth of the population of the loving earth!

there's a failure of imagination here simply because this is totally unimaginable

Gulf War I's Highway of Death except it's all women and children and Republicans are jacking off to the footage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
e: 2 dark

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
too dark for tyool 2019? yikes

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i really think there's going to be some kind of wierd "tech" boom in like, software defined refugee camps. autonomous self-constructing tent cities and poo poo.

imagine the palestinians in jordan but like, 50 years closer to idiocracy

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

judging people's worthiness to be asylumed by credit score and social media profile

that seems about right yes

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

StabbinHobo posted:

i really think there's going to be some kind of wierd "tech" boom in like, software defined refugee camps. autonomous self-constructing tent cities and poo poo.

I don't think this is realistically deployable, but I think if you and I put our heads together we could pitch a really slick TED talk on this, bilk at least a cool $20 Million out of some dumbfuck SV types, and use it to bankroll "ISIS 2: Less God, More Gaia". :nsa:

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

disrupting the gassing-the-undesirables industry.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

StabbinHobo posted:

Software Defined Settlements

You just upload the topology and it algorithmically generates your tent city layout

Use facial recognition to monitor occupants in real time. Drones can deliver supplies (e.g. food) or control (e.g. tear gas) as needed.

Tier 1 refugees can be trusted to construct their own camps and receive a processing fee waiver to reward their compliance

Some DHS yahoo like, "I don't know how the gently caress to build a tent city," can just load up his smartphone or tablet and blammo. Just do what the software tells you.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

what can i buy a lot of and horde that will make me a king after the climate death?

land in Lancaster, CA. Rule over Meth Kingdom with a shaky iron fist.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
the rulers of our climate hell will be those with the means and people to supply food and drugs and bullets. if you combine them you will become god. all will simultaneously fear and covet your unique drug-food delivery system, able to transport essential nutrients and pleasure chemicals at 2200 ft/s muzzle velocity into the hearts of your followers and enemies alike.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Like Immortan Joe, basically

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

redleader posted:

yeah, children of men will be the happy outcome

whats the bad outcome then?

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
basically zombie movies but the zombies are really just starving refugees that want us to stop eating cheeseburgers

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Just gonna go live in the woods

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Hope none of you are addicted to coffee because the coffee belt is vanishing, at the minimum expect it to double or triple in price. It IS a luxury, technically not essential to human life:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/apr/10/switzerland-plans-to-end-emergency-stockpiling-of-coffee posted:

Switzerland has announced plans to abolish the emergency stockpiling of coffee, a strategy that has been in place for decades, saying the beans are not vital for human survival – though opposition to the proposal is brewing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/13/world/americas/coffee-climate-change-migration.htm posted:

Gradually rising temperatures, more extreme weather events and increasingly unpredictable patterns — like rain not falling when it should, or pouring when it shouldn’t — have disrupted growing cycles and promoted the relentless spread of pests. The obstacles have cut crop production or wiped out entire harvests, leaving already poor families destitute. Central America is among the regions most vulnerable to climate change, scientists say. And because agriculture employs much of the labor force — about 28 percent in Honduras alone, according to the World Bank — the livelihoods of millions of people are at stake. Last year, the bank reported that climate change could lead at least 1.4 million people to flee their homes in Mexico and Central America and migrate during the next three decades.

It was a mottled yellow and brown: signs of coffee rust, a disease whose spread has been influenced by climate variability. As much as 70 percent of his crop, planted across five acres in a pine forest, had been affected, he estimated, and there was little chance he could salvage it. “Climate change is destroying some farms,” said Mr. Vicen, 41. Beyond that, some of his healthier plants had begun to blossom nearly two months ahead of schedule because of a heavy unseasonable downpour, throwing the entire growing cycle into doubt. “This is not something we predicted,” Mr. Vicen said. Average temperatures have risen by about two degrees Fahrenheit in Central America over the past several decades, making the cultivation of coffee difficult, if not untenable, at lower altitudes that were once suitable. That has forced some farmers to search for land at higher altitudes, switch to other crops, change professions — or migrate.

The outlook for the region seems bleak. Reduced yields of coffee and subsistence crops like corn and beans could significantly increase food insecurity and malnutrition. By some predictions, the amount of land suitable for growing coffee in Central America could drop by more than 40 percent by 2050. The number of coffee producers in the area where Mr. Vicen lives has dropped by a quarter in the past decade — to about 9,000 from about 12,000 — partly because of pressure from climate change, said Marlon Danilo Mejía, the regional coordinator for the Honduran Coffee Institute, an industry trade group.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its not that indoor growing will get as efficient as outdoor, its that outdoor will get so drat unreliable

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Bhodi posted:

Hope none of you are addicted to coffee because the coffee belt is vanishing, at the minimum expect it to double or triple in price. It IS a luxury, technically not essential to human life:

thank god, now coffee snobs will be able to shut up

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Bhodi posted:

time to stock up

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

like people can actually taste if the coffee is real or just another flavor pump in their blonde chai mocha frappe

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Trabisnikof posted:

like people can actually taste if the coffee is real or just another flavor pump in their blonde chai mocha frappe

exactly all of those people should convert to fake coffee flavor now and leave the coffee beans for me thank tyou

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

redleader posted:

the scale of tragedy is just unimaginable. the UN predicts 35-700 million climate refugees by 2050 (or something like that. I can't remember the exact numbers or timeframe but it doesn't matter). like, what the gently caress does 35 million people mean? then bump that meaningless number up by an order or magnitude and double it again. it's totally inconceivable. it's one tenth of the population of the loving earth!

there's a failure of imagination here simply because this is totally unimaginable

the largest refugee camp has over 800k people in it:

https://www.nrc.no/news/2018/august/coxs-bazar-the-worlds-largest-refugee-settlement/

succ has issued a correction as of 00:36 on Apr 15, 2019

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

What the gently caress. Those million people seriously ought to just elect themselves a mayor and declare themselves their own city-state or whatever. That's so unreal.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

CODChimera posted:

whats the bad outcome then?

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
END OF THE WORLD!!!! gently caress YEAH BITCHES!!!!!!!! My only regret is that I won't get to see it go all the way down. Maybe I should have kids...

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1117269495418982400

we are seriously hosed

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

maybe, but ahve you considered, numbers must go UP!

regulations are just too onerous and prevent numbers from upping to da max

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

I heard the Chinese have been pioneering alternative pollination methods (I.e. using human labor instead of animal labor)

If I know America, we’ll be sending prisoners and detainees out to the fields

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

One of the things that keeps me up at night is the thought that what if ecological collapse doesn’t stop us? What kind of bizarre future awaits us if that’s true?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Former DILF posted:

One of the things that keeps me up at night is the thought that what if ecological collapse doesn’t stop us? What kind of bizarre future awaits us if that’s true?
what do you mean? ecological collapse is 100% inevitable and going to send global society into a massively hosed up state that we won't even recognize 100 years from now. even aside from climate change, oceans are turbo-hosed, land is hosed with nearly all insects dying + all top-soil going away + aquifers drained dry, and just in america millions are vulnerable to one good drought especially phoenix/las vegas area. now throw in some climate change and yowza

if you mean when ecological collapse happens and we just keep burning fuels to drive our Ford HDR quad-hemi extendedturbocad 4K freedom edition 117 miles to work and back to our cul-de-sac mcmansion as if it hasn't happened? then poo poo is just going to keep getting worse until we reach the 8c threshold and nearly all complex life on the planet dies

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

What if the greenhouses and bubble communities is exactly what we need to spread into space? Sure billions would die but the technologies created to preserve the few might be exactly what we need to colonize mars etc

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Former DILF posted:

What if the greenhouses and bubble communities is exactly what we need to spread into space? Sure billions would die but the technologies created to preserve the few might be exactly what we need to colonize mars etc

It is vastly easier to stop destroying our entire loving biosphere than it is to kickstart a new one on a dead rear end planet like Mars.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rime posted:

It is vastly easier to stop destroying our entire loving biosphere than it is to kickstart a new one on a dead rear end planet like Mars.

Right but what if instead we just destroy our entire planet and the the lucky survivors get to live on earth like it’s mars but with decent o2 levels for now

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Telephones posted:

END OF THE WORLD!!!! gently caress YEAH BITCHES!!!!!!!! My only regret is that I won't get to see it go all the way down. Maybe I should have kids...

:thunk:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Former DILF posted:

Lets not colonize mars or any other planet...

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Normalcy Bias is going to kill us all.

quote:

About 70% of people reportedly display normalcy bias in disasters.[1] Normalcy bias has been described as "one of the most dangerous biases we have". The lack of preparation for disasters often leads to inadequate shelter, supplies, and evacuation plans. Even when all these things are in place, individuals with a normalcy bias often refuse to leave their homes.[15]

Normalcy bias can cause people to drastically underestimate the effects of the disaster. Therefore, people think that they will be safe even though information from the radio, television, or neighbors gives them reasons to believe there is a risk.

"Normalcy bias flows into the brain no matter the scale of the problem," journalist David McRaney has written. "It will appear whether you have days and plenty of warning or are blindsided with only seconds between life and death."[7] It can manifest itself in phenomena such as car crashes. Car crashes occur very frequently, but the average individual experiences them only rarely, if ever. It also manifests itself in connection with events in world history. According to a 2001 study by sociologist Thomas Drabek, when people are asked to leave in anticipation of a disaster, most check with four or more sources of information before deciding what to do. The process of checking in, known as milling, is common in disasters.[8]

As for events in world history, the normalcy bias explains why, when the volcano Vesuvius erupted, the residents of Pompeii watched for hours without evacuating.[9] It explains why thousands of people refused to leave New Orleans as Hurricane Katrina approached[10] and why at least 70% of 9/11 survivors spoke with others before leaving.[8] Officials at the White Star Line made insufficient preparations to evacuate passengers on the Titanic and people refused evacuation orders because they underestimated the odds of a worst-case scenario and minimized its potential impact.[11] Similarly, experts connected with the Fukushima nuclear power plant were strongly convinced that a multiple reactor meltdown could never occur.[12]

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Only normal things happen.

Everything'll be fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
After the Dragonflies
WS Merwin

Dragonflies were as common as sunlight
hovering in their own days
backward forward and sideways
as though they were memory
now there are grown-ups hurrying
who never saw one
and do not know what they
are not seeing
the veins in a dragonfly’s wings
were made of light
the veins in the leaves knew them
and the flowing rivers
the dragonflies came out of the color of water
knowing their own way
when we appeared in their eyes
we were strangers
they took their light with them when they went
there will be no one to remember us

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Loling at remembering my avatar. Haven't posted for years, must have pissed someone in the bad forum off by saying something controversial like maybe we shouldn't dump pesticides that kill bees all over the crops.

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.
THX 1138 was a documentary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Rime posted:

even if we utterly trash our CO2 levels and temperatures rise 10 C it will still be easier to live on earth than mars, the whole idea that we have to terraform some other planet rather than live here is absurd unless this planet literally got sucked up by a black hole