Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
I'm really bad at Troll since they changed Throwing. At what point do you switch over to large rocks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
idk if theres a point at which you switch per se, just throw large rocks at scary high-ac stuff imo

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Is there any point switching to another god for a SkFi for extended? Doing Oka now and just did Tomb (which was surprisingly okay, first time for me in there as a torment immune). Usually do Zin/TSO for the Hell mitigation but that's obviously not an option here. Have 16 Invo.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Scaramouche posted:

Is there any point switching to another god for a SkFi for extended? Doing Oka now and just did Tomb (which was surprisingly okay, first time for me in there as a torment immune). Usually do Zin/TSO for the Hell mitigation but that's obviously not an option here. Have 16 Invo.

Mahkleb is the usual choice for undead, the healing on kills and decent pets make hells a lot more bearable.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Araganzar posted:

Mahkleb is the usual choice for undead, the healing on kills and decent pets make hells a lot more bearable.

Thanks, I put that guy on pause at 5 runes now to figure out if I want to suffer through that much of Oka's wrath in Pan/Abyss.

Instead I've jumped back in doing Ac and I think I can see the appeal more now. It's kind of a good thing to play when you're not sure what you want to play or how, and just want to roll with the punches. Based on some messing around VS is a good choice, because you get some tools to overcome the weak start, which are the bite, regen, and M+F being an okay start you can keep training if nothing else works out. Fo is good too if you get stuck with a two hander but still want to use a shield plus the murder holing and general beefiness. My current VSAc got Snakebite which is basically a perfect early game weapon that only running out of utility now at the end of D15/Orc/Lair/Elf.

General goon crawl question, are the easy/hard highlights being updated on the class screen? I only checked a couple but nothing was coming up white for archie.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i'm pretty sure archaeologist, like jester and wanderer, would never be recommended for anyone because of how atypical a start it is?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

someone awful. posted:

i'm pretty sure archaeologist, like jester and wanderer, would never be recommended for anyone because of how atypical a start it is?

Archaeologist rules actually it's the Demonspawn of classes

Just make sure to play it with something that has good weapon aps

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Jon Joe posted:

Archaeologist rules actually it's the Demonspawn of classes

Just make sure to play it with something that has good weapon aps

oh totally, i wasn't implying it was bad by any metric! i've had a lot of fun playing them,even if i have yet to get anything super fun for my start. the last one i played i ended up not even using my artifact, cause it was a short blade and i was a monstrous demonspawn with claws :(

just that they wouldn't be a 'beginner recommendation' necessarily

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I got a gnoll archaeologist up and running. My box didn't open until I had completed all of dungeon, lair and mines.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Scaramouche posted:

Instead I've jumped back in doing Ac and I think I can see the appeal more now. It's kind of a good thing to play when you're not sure what you want to play or how, and just want to roll with the punches. Based on some messing around VS is a good choice, because you get some tools to overcome the weak start

Yeah you need a race that can get to D4, Octopode is another good race because the constriction owns D1-D3.

Troll was a real handful, claws 3 really demand unarmed and apts are so bad across the board it's hard to accommodate anything but body armor. I splatted a start with crown of torment, ran into a frost giant on D11 that ate 4 scattershot in red hits. Would have killed him without the -20% hits, probably didn't need to be wearing it yet.

Finally figured out how to do it:
pre:
araganzar the Wrestler (Troll Archaeologist)       Turns: 68430, Time: 05:01:17

Health: 306/306    AC: 44    Str: 35    XL:     27
Magic:  20/26      EV: 21    Int: 14    God:    Okawaru [******]
Gold:   3880       SH: 20    Dex: 17    Spells: 5/38 levels left

rFire    + + .     SeeInvis +     - Unarmed
rCold    + + +     Gourm    +   S - +4 shield of the Dungeon {rC+ rCorr Stlth+}
rNeg     . . .     Faith    .   n - +15 ice dragon scales "Zeinuleq" {+Blink rElec rPois rF- rC++ Dex+6}
rPois    +         Spirit   .   F - +2 hat {SInv}
rElec    +         Reflect  .   H - +4 dragonskin cloak
rCorr    +         Harm     .   (gloves unavailable)
MR       +++..     Clarity  +   (boots unavailable)
Stlth    +.........             t - amulet of Vitality {Regen+ HP+15}
HPRegen  2.41/turn              p - ring "Fuira" {rF+ MR+ AC+2 Int+4}
MPRegen  0.20/turn              G - ring of protection from fire {rF+, !d}
Basically if you are having issues with TrAc just find +15 IDA with blink rpois and relec and dex 6 in a labyrinth and you'll probably win. My gift was Cloak of Starshine which I replaced with Dragonskin since I had rc+++++.

Zot was not fun having to choose between having no rF or no rN, IDA is tough if you can't find rF in any aux slot. But probably the worst thing about Zot is recasting Regen, Repel Missiles, and Beastly Appendage 100 times due to all the dispels.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

My box didn't open

vvvvvv this may be unintended but it strikes me as the sort of thing we should keep because it's funny and besides with their early game apts getting through Orc is really gnoll trouble at all!

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 14, 2019

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I got a gnoll archaeologist up and running. My box didn't open until I had completed all of dungeon, lair and mines.

Is this how it should be or could they get a bit of help? :smith:

I figure it might be considered a fair payoff to the fact that a Gnoll will be basically always well able to make use of whatever is in the box, but I found the pre-lair ever harder than any other class and basically always end up splatted by something silly like Natasha

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Trying out a Tengu Archaeologist and it got me asking again, would it really be that overpowered to give tengus permanent flight at level 5 (or 1). I'm going to activate it every fight anyways for the dodge and speed boost.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
With the way regular buffs have been moved towards permabuffs, I think it would be worth rethinking that kind of racial ability in general. Vampires don't exactly need to worry about bat-form running out or anything like that, it's really more of a legacy thing.

Toggled perma-flight isn't such an overpowered ability that you shouldn't be able to just give it to Tengus on turn 1.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Since people were asking, the build on CKO lists human/demonspawn/tengu/deep elf/deep dwarf as recommended races.

Two questions:

1) What are the recommended .rc file additions these days? CKO is a new server, so I've lost all my edits/things I should change. Is CKO the one with gooncrawl scoring or is that another one?

2) Is there a way to remap keys? Ctrl-W gets grabbed by Chrome as "close window", not the all important "set waypoint." :mad:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Arivia posted:

Since people were asking, the build on CKO lists human/demonspawn/tengu/deep elf/deep dwarf as recommended races.

Two questions:

1) What are the recommended .rc file additions these days? CKO is a new server, so I've lost all my edits/things I should change. Is CKO the one with gooncrawl scoring or is that another one?

2) Is there a way to remap keys? Ctrl-W gets grabbed by Chrome as "close window", not the all important "set waypoint." :mad:

CKO has their own personal scoring site, but there's also another scoring site for cross-server scores.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
My archaeologist crate pranked me, it was the Robe of Folly. Oh lord.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Teal posted:

Is this how it should be or could they get a bit of help? :smith:

I dunno, I've got one on Lair 4 right now and seems pretty strong:
pre:
 b - the +11 broad axe of the Distant Future (weapon) {speed, Str+4}
 O - the +3 executioner's axe "Nongoz" {drain, +Fly}
 a - the +10 hunting sling of the Peculiar Eyes {velocity, rPois Int+7 Dex-4}
 W - the +9 scimitar of Urgency {elec, MP+9}
 S - the +0 pair of gloves of Precision Catastrophes (worn) {rElec rC+ rCorr}
 L - the +9 plate armour of the Immovable Souls (worn) {Regen+ Int+3}
That broad axe feels like a pretty decent gnoll weapon....

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tollymain posted:

nemelex rework proposal; nemelex is the god of games, and views worshipers as pawns. your relationship w nemelex is heavily transactional: you supply him demon blood and score him points in whatever inscrutable personal games hes playing, and he gives you power. or powers, rather, themed on classic games of chance, skill, and strategy. decks in their current form are almost entirely removed, and are replaced by one !!FUN!! deck that you can pull to alter a situation dramatically. and probably dont want to try spamming. your workhorse abilities are based off old old old game concepts, like the suggestions below

- the score: when you kill a unique, a pan lord, or pick up a rune/the orb, you gain a juicy chunk of bonus xp and piety
- the race: you gain a somewhat randomized invo-scaling number of free tiles of movement. exhaustion cool-down
- the hunt: smite-targeted invocations-based summon of multiple pawns. beefy blockers, bad damage output
- the capture: when propitiated for guidance, nemelex designates a random number of less-threatening enemies for destruction and gives you a timed haste buff. invo-based chance of killed marked enemies being raised to fight for you. fail to kill all marked enemies before it runs out, you'll be penalized w piety loss or something.

Worshipping Nemelex will reduce your max MP to zero and give you a deck and hand of 7 Nemelex the Gathering cards. Playing lands increases your max MP, playing spells/monsters/enchantments will cast the according spell/summon/buff, costing MP. Summons and buffs last until killed/cancelled. After a "turn", not sure whether that should just be a turn limit or something more involved, your MP is refilled and you draw another card, losing one randomly if above the hand limit of 7.

Run out of cards in your deck and you die, so you need to occasionally ask Nemelex for a spell card that lets you reshuffle everything.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Arivia posted:

* (Im like 95% sure it's the asterisk at least) makes your next keypress control-modfied, so like * than W let's you set waypoints

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Pigbuster posted:

Worshipping Nemelex will reduce your max MP to zero and give you a deck and hand of 7 Nemelex the Gathering cards. Playing lands increases your max MP, playing spells/monsters/enchantments will cast the according spell/summon/buff, costing MP. Summons and buffs last until killed/cancelled. After a "turn", not sure whether that should just be a turn limit or something more involved, your MP is refilled and you draw another card, losing one randomly if above the hand limit of 7.

Run out of cards in your deck and you die, so you need to occasionally ask Nemelex for a spell card that lets you reshuffle everything.
If this didn't sound like a massive pain in the rear end, I'd really kind of like to see it. Weird-rear end gods who are basically alternate game modes in their own right is one of the things that attracted me to OG Henzell Crawl.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
code:
 Cerebov explodes violently!
 The sun demon is hit by a flying piece of Cerebov!
 You kill the sun demon! You blow up Cerebov!
 Training target 20.0 for Invocations reached!
 Your Dodging skill increases to level 23!
 Your Invocations skill increases to level 20!
 You can no longer merge with and destroy a victim.
Dance God is a fun god.

Edit:
code:
 Gloorx Vloq explodes violently!
 The Executioner is hit by a flying piece of Gloorx Vloq!
 You blow up Gloorx Vloq!
 The Executioner disappears in a puff of smoke!
code:
 Mnoleg explodes violently!
 The large abomination is hit by a flying piece of Mnoleg!
 The tentacled monstrosity is hit by a flying piece of Mnoleg!
 You blow up Mnoleg!
 The tentacled monstrosity disappears in a puff of smoke!
 The large abomination disappears in a puff of smoke!
 The tentacled monstrosity disappears in a puff of smoke! x3
code:
Lom Lobon explodes violently!
 The titan is hit by a flying piece of Lom Lobon!
 You blow up Lom Lobon!
Complete the set, ha!

---

This is just silly.
code:
 Asmodeus explodes violently!
 You blow up Asmodeus!
 You no longer feel the fiery rage of Gehenna assaulting you.
 The balrug disappears in a puff of smoke! x2
 The efreet disappears in a puff of smoke! x2
_You can no longer merge with and destroy a victim.
All shall feel the rhythm!
code:
The Serpent of Hell explodes violently!
 You blow up the Serpent of Hell!
code:
Antaeus explodes violently!
 The blizzard demon is hit by a flying piece of Antaeus!
 You blow up Antaeus!
 You no longer feel the icy wrath of Cocytus assaulting you.
code:
 Dispater explodes violently!
 You blow up Dispater!
 You no longer feel the iron fury of Dis assaulting you.
code:
Ereshkigal explodes violently!
 You blow up Ereshkigal!
 You no longer feel the haunting ire of Tartarus assaulting you.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 14, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
this thread convinced me to try a demonspawn archaeologist

turns out i probably should have looked the scythe of curses up before equipping it at xl6 or so

rip leopold, eaten by shadows

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Scythe of curses is insanely good with the caveat that it is also a scythe, so like all scythes you need crazy high skill to not have it take twenty years to swing

But if you have a high polearms aptitude or patience, wheeew

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Booo, mummy death curses killed the beat. I had already got the other 14 runes too.

code:
1270795 worldfamousw the Rhythm of Life and Death (level 27, -18/196 (199) HPs)
             Began as a Tengu Archaeologist on Apr 14, 2019.
             Was a Priest of Uskayaw.
             Killed by a guardian mummy's death curse (32 damage)
             ... on level 3 of the Tomb of the Ancients.
             The game lasted 05:49:14 (72807 turns).
Also a total of 138 Grand Finales. I kinda of dig the dance god. Archaeologist is a fun class as well, got the Autumn Katana as my artefact.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Immolating Tomb 3 is a bold strategy, I have to admit. :v:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

someone awful. posted:

Scythe of curses is insanely good with the caveat that it is also a scythe, so like all scythes you need crazy high skill to not have it take twenty years to swing

But if you have a high polearms aptitude or patience, wheeew

if i literally ever get this stuff completed and in correctly, large creatures will be able to 1-hand scythes

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Its worked in the past! I also just happened to be a tree with more than one pip of rn+ all those times!

Live fast, play hard, die screaming!

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
guys I got this new spell Force Lance

who is Lance and force him to do what exactly?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Slammin' fools against walls, is what you force 'im to do. Backed up by the rest of the posse: Gell's serious nature makin' the weak cling together, Leda slowin' their step with just a gaze and Yara's affrontery to any sort of magickin' they be possessin'

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
FR: a dungeon crawling boy band named after various wizards. They travel in a pack and sing for attention when they're not casting their signature spells. They also worship usk

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Fencer's gloves from the archaeology box and a +3 amulet of reflection, huh? I see what you want, game.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

baby delivery truck posted:

FR: a dungeon crawling boy band named after various wizards. They travel in a pack and sing for attention when they're not casting their signature spells. They also worship usk
At least one of them has to have Song of Slaying. I don't care that it wouldn't make sense on a monster.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Wanna take another shot at taking a HOFi into extended, trying to decide on a god. TSO blocks Regen which got me killed in the Abyss last time. I think I'm gonna go Makhleb, but I'm open to other suggestions once I inevitably splat this one.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

quote:

Ye draw out yer weapon's spirit!!!
Tha helpless gold'n shark fails ta defend itself!
Ye cut tha gold'n shark inta ribbons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ye freeze tha gold'n shark!!!
Ye annihilate tha gold'n shark!!!
Makhleb roars: ANNIHILATED!
Assassinboots+exec axe=fun.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

PMush Perfect posted:

Wanna take another shot at taking a HOFi into extended, trying to decide on a god. TSO blocks Regen which got me killed in the Abyss last time. I think I'm gonna go Makhleb, but I'm open to other suggestions once I inevitably splat this one.
High invocation and an aptitude for axes make Qazlal a good choice. 15 runed a HOGl like that once.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
qazlal is fun

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Qazlal would be a really good choice for a demonspawn archaeologist given your manual isn't a ranged weapon. That was my plan until I was given the zephyr longbow.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Haifisch posted:

At least one of them has to have Song of Slaying. I don't care that it wouldn't make sense on a monster.
It should be like a unique starcursed mass, with each split taking a random name and casting that wizards spell. The whole mass is singing a reverse song of slaying, where it gets +damage for each boy band member that's killed. The tile should look like fancy bogarts.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
The crate's locking mechanism finally gives in... Revealing the +2 robe of Vines {NoDeviceHeal Regen+7}!

Man, what a thoroughly unimpressive crate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Another CTD, something to do with a tile IDX out of range, possibly after some kind of effect being applied by Mara. I'm not sure because the file it says the assert happened in I can't find, possibly because it's an interim build file(?):
code:
ERROR in 'rltiles/tiledef-player.cc' at line 17882: ASSERT failed: idx of 12 out of range TILE_MAIN_MAX (1347) .. TILEP_PLAYER_MAX (4317)
I think it's tied to Mara because these are the last lines:
code:
Mara blinks!
Mara shimmers.
Mara shimmers and seems to become three!
Mara gestures at you.
The bolt of fire misses you.
Mara gestures.
There is a horrible, sudden wrenching feeling in your soul!
I wonder if this is because the character is a Lava Orc Archaeologist, and the Summon Player Ghost routine doesn't have a tile for that specific class/race?

Version info etc:
code:
Version: Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup v1.0-591-gc2b61f1933
Platform: Windows
Bits: 64
Game mode: normal
Tiles: yes