Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Malevolent is a getting-more-than-you-bargained-for ghost story about hucksters in over their heads. It's...okay? I suppose? Like, there's a few real sloppy plot cheats in order to make the story move but I still found the movie overall interesting. Most of what I liked was the whole conmen-in-distress-in-a-ghost-story idea that I don't think I've seen since The Frighteners (a very different movie, to be sure). Actually now that I think about it I don't know how many others I can name that aren't things like Reality Show Crews In Trouble!-type setups. Or maybe I'm just forgetting obvious examples. Either way I don't know if I can recommend this because if you find yourself unable to buy in to the story this one's gonna land with a real hard clunk.

I watched this a few weeks ago, I thought it started strong but I hated the last act. Like Easy Diff said, Grave Encounters does the con-men getting in over their heads thing much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I didn’t expect Halloween 3 to be a RoboCop prequel. Nice to see that The Old Man landed on his feet running OCP a few years later.

For fun I looked up Roger Ebert’s hilariously terrible review and it’s amazing how little he cares. He clearly doesn’t even remember the beginning of the movie and doesn’t give a drat about spoiling everything. Also I don’t understand what a kid’s head turning into insects has to do with The Thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s the best movie about Halloween movie.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I get Ebert not knowing wtf with that movie because I didn't either way back when. It took retrospect for me to realize how great it was.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

david_a posted:

I didn’t expect Halloween 3 to be a RoboCop prequel. Nice to see that The Old Man landed on his feet running OCP a few years later.

For fun I looked up Roger Ebert’s hilariously terrible review and it’s amazing how little he cares. He clearly doesn’t even remember the beginning of the movie and doesn’t give a drat about spoiling everything. Also I don’t understand what a kid’s head turning into insects has to do with The Thing.

Ebert posted:

It begins at the end of "Halloween II," when the monster was burned up in the hospital parking lot, but it's not still another retread of the invincible monster. In fact, the monster is forgotten, except for a lab technician who spends the whole movie sifting through his ashes.

hol up.

Did Rog somehow think that the autopsy of the assassin who blows himself up in the hospital parking lot was... the autopsy of Michael Myers? And that he was a robot?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
There is literally a TV spot for Halloween II playing on the television at the end of the movie.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

s.i.r.e. posted:

Is the documentary [about ghostwatch] available anywhere? I can't remember if I've seen it, but I want to check it out.

i searched for like an hour the other night and afaik the answer is no

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

K. Waste posted:

There is literally a TV spot for Halloween II playing on the television at the end of the movie.
Halloween is the movie that’s on before the Silver Shamrock raffle at 9

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

mikeycp posted:

gently caress. :smith:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

Halloween 3 is a grow to love film. I didn't really care for it for a long time and now its easily one of my favorites in the franchise. You have to embrace the fact that Tom Atkins character is not the hero of the film but is this really just piece of poo poo alcoholic and you're just along for the ride on one of his 3 day benders then the film is much more enjoyable.

It's the Leaving Las Vegas of horror movies.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 14, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This is true, when I first saw it I was younger and all I wanted to see from a Halloween film was Myers and poo poo, that first film hit me hard. When I saw Halloween 3 I was confused as gently caress, "Where's Myers?" "Why is this called Halloween?" Then I saw it later and thought "This film doesn't need Myers and it's pretty interesting." Now it's part of the must-watch for the series. It's so different and unique, and really isn't cribbing off anything else.

Plus, the whole "Stop it! Turn it off!" part at the end is fuckin' great.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

All you need to know about Tom Atkins in that movie is that they take like a day long road trip and he brings a six pack of beer.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Hollismason posted:

Halloween 3 is a grow to love film.

That's the best way to describe it. I saw it at the show and while I didn't hate it, I was just 'meh' about it. A few years later watched it again and I started to come around to it. It was the same with Day of the Dead for me. Took me a bit to grow to appreciate it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Some Olympic standard mental gymnastics going on here as people try to justify wasting 90 minutes of their lives.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Jedit posted:

Some Olympic standard mental gymnastics going on here as people try to justify wasting 90 minutes of their lives.

Nah, I loved that movie from the first time I saw it. Sorry for your tastes.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Jedit posted:

Why do you assume people lie to themselves? Do you do that?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I can understand enjoying Halloween 3 as a charming b-movie but I cannot understand thinking it's an appropriate sequel to one of the most well-made and important horror films of all time. It's not well shot or particularly well acted, the camera work is not very good, the script is enjoyable but impossible to take at face value...

It's like if The Exorcist 3 was Demonic Toys.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

It actually is pretty well shot; moreso than any sequel but H20 or the Danny McBride one. The score is really good too.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The score for Halloween 3 is really good. Its John Carpenter and Adam Howarth.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Halloween 3 isn't a so bad it's good movie at all, it's just straight-up good. No qualifications needed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Halloween 3 isn't a so bad it's good movie at all, it's just straight-up good. No qualifications needed.

I didn't say it was so bad it's good I said it was a b-movie. Like Robot Jox.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Halloween 3 was the last great film with Halloween in the title until 2018

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I can understand enjoying Halloween 3 as a charming b-movie but I cannot understand thinking it's an appropriate sequel to one of the most well-made and important horror films of all time. It's not well shot or particularly well acted, the camera work is not very good, the script is enjoyable but impossible to take at face value...

Literally everything you said applies at least equally to Halloween 2 so :shrug:

Lurdiak posted:

Well no, not at all. It's like if The Exorcist 3 was Night of the Creeps. As in, a really good but unrelated movie starring Tom Atkins. Get your poo poo together, man, geez!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lurdiak posted:

It understand the holiday better. Therefore it’s better.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

It understand the holiday better. Therefore it’s better.

As far as I recall, nobody trick or treats in Halloween 3, but they do trick or treat in Halloween.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

The entire movie was about trick-or-treating and kids gearing up to trick-or-treat, and I'm pretty sure there's a montage at the end of kids going out trick-or-treating with their masks and/or heading home to be killed in the name of Mr. Sam Hain.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lurdiak posted:

As far as I recall, nobody trick or treats in Halloween 3, but they do trick or treat in Halloween.

the last 10 minutes is just the most Halloween images ever captured on film of kids trick or treating all over the country

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

All right my bad, it's been a while.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Easy Diff posted:

Grave Encounters is my go-to and it is spectacular

I had a good time with this one, thanks! It's like a bunch of different ideas all in a mixing bowl (reality show, hucksters, half a comedy, overnight bet) but it blends so well.

King Vidiot posted:

Well no, not at all. It's like if The Exorcist 3 was Night of the Creeps. As in, a really good but unrelated movie starring Tom Atkins. Get your poo poo together, man, geez!

Except Night of the Creeps is great and Halloween 3 isn't

Like how do you make a movie about a trickster capitalist mogul trying to sacrifice a generation of children by utilizing a stolen piece of Stonehenge and an army of animatronic assassins but have the final product be so boring?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I can see thinking Halloween 3 is maybe too grimy or poorly made, but it is certainly the gently caress not boring

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
It's a lot of futzing around and occasionally a robot massages someone to death. Nothing of interest happens until the mask demonstration and that's about it. A big thing that kills it for me is there seems to be no sense of atmosphere. The score isn't to blame, I think. But there's a lot of scenes that should have some sense of energy but instead are plodding and lifeless.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mikeycp posted:

There's a BBC retrospective on it, I believe, but that's about it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

Halloween 3 was the last great film with Halloween in the title until 2018

Except for Halloween 4 and Halloween II (2009)

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
How different are the cuts of Halloween II because I watched the version that came in the box set and...oof.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You’re completely correct, CJ2, Halloween 3 was the last great film with Halloween in the title until 2018

Thank you friend :unsmith:

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
Unrelated, but I got a kick out of this: One of my side gigs is as freelance church musician. This morning was a job at a Presbyterian church which has a large choir, a separate praise band (ugh) and also a very talented Russian pianist. Being Palm Sunday, there was a lot of hoopty-doo with hosannas and a live donkey, and even a baptism with a well-behaved baby. After all of that, though, the pianist chose to close the service with a hammering rendition of Rachmaninov's Prelude in C sharp minor.

Maybe it's only funny to me, but imagine a full church of smiling families waving palm fronds, getting ready for the Easter egg hunt, and the soft-spoken pastor says, "Go with God." And the moment his mouth closes on the "d" the pianist slams her hands down on this. For the full effect, crank your volume:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXQCPAR0EHo

(Clive Barker fans, you may find this familiar)

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Stryder posted:

Unrelated, but I got a kick out of this: One of my side gigs is as freelance church musician. This morning was a job at a Presbyterian church which has a large choir, a separate praise band (ugh) and also a very talented Russian pianist. Being Palm Sunday, there was a lot of hoopty-doo with hosannas and a live donkey, and even a baptism with a well-behaved baby. After all of that, though, the pianist chose to close the service with a hammering rendition of Rachmaninov's Prelude in C sharp minor.

Maybe it's only funny to me, but imagine a full church of smiling families waving palm fronds, getting ready for the Easter egg hunt, and the soft-spoken pastor says, "Go with God." And the moment his mouth closes on the "d" the pianist slams her hands down on this. For the full effect, crank your volume:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXQCPAR0EHo

(Clive Barker fans, you may find this familiar)

Haha! That would have been one of life's awesome rare surreal moments of "I can't believe I'm the only one seeing this!"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CelticPredator posted:

the last 10 minutes is just the most Halloween images ever captured on film of kids trick or treating all over the country

I always hated that THE foreboding silhouette of kids trick or treating used as the movie's cover for a long time is only like one second long in the movie. :(

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Big Bob Pataki posted:

How different are the cuts of Halloween II because I watched the version that came in the box set and...oof.

Very similar outside of the ending which is VERY different. But if you strongly disliked the movie in the first place it's not worth seeing. Just watch the ending on YouTube or something.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

HALLOWEEN FILMS:

Halloween (1978)
Halloween (2018)
Halloween II (1981)
Halloween III: Season of the Witch