Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I feel like the attex thread is getting kind of long and scattered.
The attex thread started here.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3859331&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

The biturbo appeared on page 11.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3859331&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=11

This thread will continue to be a scattered mess of all my junk, I just thought it needed a fresh start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I'm kinda sad. I had a particular pride having been the only AI regular that's actually owned a Biturbo. Now we're a group of two. I was smart enough to get rid of it almost 25 years ago, though. :D

Just saw on the other thread that it's injected, that's the best thing you've got going for you. :munch:

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 14, 2019

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

chrisgt posted:

I just thought it needed a fresh start.

Already a goal the biturbo might never live up to.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Yea, it's an 87 so it has fuel injection, intercoolers, the (apparently stronger) LSD rear end, and whatever other upgraded stuff the 87 got.
If it was carbureted or automatic (especially automatic), I likely wouldn't have gone there.
I'm starting a new job on monday and tied up most of next weekend. Even though, I would like to order the clutch slave cylinder rebuild kit, tires, get some exhaust stuff, and start taking things apart this week. Now that I have a garage at my house I can tinker an hour here and there after work.

I'll certainly get more pictures of stuff and whatnot. I still need to get all my tools to the new garage, I need to remove the door handles so the doors latch and get a new deadbolt with key for the mandoor. I need to get the mercedes out of storage and fix whatever caused a big puddle of oil under it this winter... That needs its injectors rebuilt. The toyota needs an oil change and some other work. My wife's car needs a swaybar mount welded back on and an exhaust leak fixed.... Oh and since I just moved my electronics lab is still in boxes on the floor of my office.
I think I'm also getting a free 12.5kw generator I'll have to dick with.

My life is in way worse maintenance debt than it was when I did the attex, so this might be a slow start.

MrYenko posted:

Already a goal the biturbo might never live up to.

You laugh, but it actually starts right up and runs amazing. I'll try to get some videos of the car and stuff, maybe this afternoon when I get back home.

Oh I also have to put some time into reading the 2CV thread. I love those cars so much, so I can live vicariously through that thread.

chrisgt fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 14, 2019

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

:lol: this is amazing. :allears:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

You're an inspiration to us all. You lunatic. You absolute imbecile. :hfive:

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 14, 2019

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Oh man, I can't wait.

I love the attention to detail and paint quality involved in colour-matching the Pep Boys stick-on-hood-scoops. The previous owner is someone who hacks poo poo up, but with attention to detail.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

In for biturbo shenanigans. Great color combo, looks quick like balls in a vice just standing still. :shepicide:

(Serioustalk: I'm excited for this project. Congrats!)

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The hood scoops kind of fit, which is the first time I've ever thought that. Love it, can't wait for a video.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
AAA drivers will appreciate the tow hook loop.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
BIturbo? BRAVO!!!
unpopular opinion - Don't rally it, get it cleaned up and win the "rarest/unlikeliest car" prize at every event you attend, forever.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm glad my frontal lobes have prevented me from impulse buying a Biturbo in the past. That being said, I love this.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'm glad my frontal lobes have prevented me from impulse buying a Biturbo in the past. That being said, I love this.

Yeah, I think vicariously enjoying someone else's Biturbo adventure is the way to go. It's cool and fun only when you're not up to your elbows in it yourself.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Fuel Injection would have be my most important criteria as well - they're unicorns though. Congrats on finding one!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If you bought a biturbo that starts and runs amazing, you are aware that this is like the literal peak of your ownership experience and you will spend countless hours trying to replicate this level of functionality, right?

godspeed i'm glad to be living vicariously through you

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost
Ahhhh, congrats? Seriously, if it wasn't a '87 with FI and an upgraded rear end I'd be all :suspense:, instead I'm like :ck5:.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
I can't believe you actually went and did it. Looking forward to seeing your (even further) descent into insanity!

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I filled the master cylinder until it was overflowing so I could get a couple actuations out of the clutch. I took it for a quick drive around the loop and down the old road. I think I pissed off some people at the funeral home for a funeral... Sorry. It won't be so loud when I weld a muffler back on. It's basically straight piped right now :D

Last night I had a bonfire and went attexing in the lake. Just so things make more sense, I should mention that the attex and the biturbo are about 170 miles apart. That's why it may seem like I can do a lot of one thing but not a lot of other on the weekends. This will change in good time.

I loaded some of my tools into the toyota and dragged them to their new home. I have a long way to go getting the shop setup, but it's getting there. I need a workbench STAT.

Mercedes out of storage today, fired right up and ran amazing as usual. Drove it about 85 miles without a single problem.
Welcome to Chris' masochism garage...

The liquid that looks like it may have come out of the mercedes was me draining the tank on my air compressor.

And the video everyone has been waiting for.... Bear in mind the gas gauge is pegged on E and the light is on (apparently that's one of the few gauges that works). What little gas is in there is over a year old. I'll get a can of premium to dump in there at some point. Not the highest priority at the moment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_WU9RjjsMM

The keen observers will notice the airbox is falling apart, I'll have to fix that somehow. Also the hood struts don't work so it's held open with a stick. The replacements are a few hundred dollars, so I'll just order a pair by size from mcmaster carr or somewhere like that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

chrisgt posted:

Just so things make more sense, I should mention that the attex and the biturbo are about 170 miles apart. That's why it may seem like I can do a lot of one thing but not a lot of other on the weekends. This will change in good time.

clearly cannot be true as i see the biturbo in its entropic state in the background of this picture :cawg:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

clearly cannot be true as i see the biturbo in its entropic state in the background of this picture :cawg:

It's funny you say that, I was thinking that joke on my way home with the mercedes, then forgot about it.

I ordered oil filter, tires, and a clutch slave cylinder for the thing. It should all be here by the end of the week. This weekend I'm helping slow_is_fast get his land cruiser rolling again, so I'll mount the tires while I'm out there. Sunday I'm helping someone clean out a garage and haul stuff around with a trailer. Hopefully this week after work I can get the old slave cylinder out, car up on stands, start to fix up the interior stuff and find all the rest of the broken poo poo I need to address before it goes on the road.
Sadly I probably won't be able to get a day off until June to actually get tags for the thing. There's some sketchy online service that registers cars for you (similar to the Montana thing), so it might be worth going that route just to get tags. Then once I can drive the car around town I'll be able to find out how much other broken stuff I have to deal with :)

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
*notices one of my favorite AI threads is closed*

oh, what could we have here....

.....loving poo poo! Along for this ride.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

chrisgt posted:

Also the hood struts don't work so it's held open with a stick.

Good old trusty stick will never let you down.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've got a workbench you can have for free if you come to West bumfuck Mass to get it. It's basically a 4x8 of 3/4 ply with a 2x4 frame under it with 2x4 legs that aren't currently attached but come with it free. I cut it down to about 3-3.5ft wide and cut a radius into it at one end because it was my computer desk a decade ago. Somewhat stained already.

Also :lol: it starts and runs already, holy poo poo. Is it external or internal slave?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Please put in a cage and rally it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

make it clean as gently caress and take it to radwood

then leave it there after it fails to start

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hahahahahahahaha holy fuckin poo poo

Englishman alone
Nov 28, 2013
I love those old Mercs. My dad had a red estate one when I was young. Tank like is what I remember

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

chrisgt posted:

Mercedes out of storage today, fired right up and ran amazing as usual. Drove it about 85 miles without a single problem.
Welcome to Chris' masochism garage...

I'm loving the contrast between the worst 80's car and the best 80's car.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!
I found a Barn Finds article about this car: https://barnfinds.com/course-5-speed-1987-maserati-biturbo/

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Looking at the pictures and video, looks like the PO did some things in the engine compartment. I can't find my good set of pictures, but here's a quick picture-of-picture of my '87 Biturbo Si that was bone-stock:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

there is so much ductwork and i think i understand what ~30% of it does

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Good old trusty stick will never let you down.
At least part of the car is reliable.

kastein posted:

I've got a workbench you can have for free if you come to West bumfuck Mass to get it. It's basically a 4x8 of 3/4 ply with a 2x4 frame under it with 2x4 legs that aren't currently attached but come with it free. I cut it down to about 3-3.5ft wide and cut a radius into it at one end because it was my computer desk a decade ago. Somewhat stained already.

Also :lol: it starts and runs already, holy poo poo. Is it external or internal slave?
Amazingly it's an external slave. It's a ZF transmission, but somehow Maserati couldn't figure out how to use a German slave cylinder along with it ...
Definitely interested in the work bench!

builds character posted:

Please put in a cage and rally it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

make it clean as gently caress and take it to radwood

then leave it there after it fails to start
I'm going for something between these two.

Rhyno posted:

Hahahahahahahaha holy fuckin poo poo
yes

Englishman alone posted:

I love those old Mercs. My dad had a red estate one when I was young. Tank like is what I remember
Yea, I love the wagon. Even though the hydraulic rear suspension drove me crazy for a while, it's wicked cool when I put a bunch of stuff in it. I have a bit of smoke at idle and some injector nailing when cold, so I do have to send those out to get rebuilt at some point, but otherwise it's a tank.

User Error posted:

I'm loving the contrast between the worst 80's car and the best 80's car.
Yea, it averages out to a toyota corolla maybe.

Holy poo poo that's cool, thanks for digging that up! also LOL at all the comments about the well executed rice.

meatpimp posted:

Looking at the pictures and video, looks like the PO did some things in the engine compartment. I can't find my good set of pictures, but here's a quick picture-of-picture of my '87 Biturbo Si that was bone-stock:

Yea, there are some... "interesting" modifications under there...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

there is so much ductwork and i think i understand what ~30% of it does
I took a walkaround video under the hood that raises more questions than it answers. I think it does help understand what all the ducting is doing, though. It's kinda late now, I'll try to edit it tomorrow night when dinner is cooking.

So I went into the garage after work to do some tinkering. The first week at any professional job sucks. read a bazillion pages of training material and company policy and try not to go to sleep, or daydream about driving a biturbo.... I got the car up on jackstands. It's a real pain, there's nothing to put a jack under on that car. wtf.
Anyway, the story is kinda disjointed without my motivation to edit video, it'll make more sense tomorrow.

This is the slave cylinder looking up from the bottom. My meathooks are way too big to fit up there. Also not the smaller bolt at the top of the pic is so close to the body of the slave cylinder it has to be done with an open end wrench. 1/8 turn at a time.

I tried to get a picture looking down from the top, but it's not really possible to see.
I finally had to lay under the car with one arm around each side of the transmission to get that stupid thing out.
VICTORY!

These can be rebuilt, but I don't think THIS one can be. It's a crappy picture, but trust me, the wall of this bore is beyond new seals. I mean, it might work for a little while, but it's not gonna last.

I really don't want to know what the story behind this is...

I also did some poking around under the car. Sometimes things tell their own story and it's beautiful.

Notice the drip of coolant on the hose toward the bottom of the picture. Above that there's a hose (that's presumably a coolant line for something), with a really rusty hose clamp and then a second hose clamp. There's no access to get up in there and I have no idea where any of those hoses go anyway. I think it's probably fine :v:

Ok, why are there two lines going to the front brake calipers. And why is the bleeder not at the top? How the gently caress are you supposed to get the air out with the bleeder in the middle of the caliper like that? wtf.

Oh yea, I don't even have to say anything. This tells it's own story. This is going to be a pain in the rear end some day.

This section of pipe is hopefully the extent of the exhaust problems, something tells me it isn't, though.

I'll have to hit autozone to get some bends on the way home from work. I also have to find somewhere to get MIG gas. All the welding shops hold banker's hours around here.

Also, I received the new garage door handles from iforge today. Unfortunately they aren't going to be a straight bolt-on affair, fortunately I'm crafty and I'll make something work. I'm gonna backlog that one for a day or two until I'm mad at cars and need something else to work on...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Is there any way you can make an adapter plate and put another slave cylinder in that's not NLA? Like say one from a 90s/00s Subaru? What bore, throw, and hydraulic fitting does it need?

I might be at the hangar tomorrow night or Wednesday night and I almost certainly will be on Friday night. That's where the bench is. I dunno where you are these days but if GPS to New Braintree Mass doesn't look too unreasonable, tell me when you want to get it.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

kastein posted:

Is there any way you can make an adapter plate and put another slave cylinder in that's not NLA? Like say one from a 90s/00s Subaru? What bore, throw, and hydraulic fitting does it need?

I might be at the hangar tomorrow night or Wednesday night and I almost certainly will be on Friday night. That's where the bench is. I dunno where you are these days but if GPS to New Braintree Mass doesn't look too unreasonable, tell me when you want to get it.

I work in Acton mass, so maybe an hour or so. Not bad. I know I can't do Friday or Tuesday. Maybe Wednesday, I'll have to see.

I'm sure there's something that could be retrofit, the issue is there's absolutely no space to get in there. I could barely unbolt the stupid thing. A retrofit would probably require dropping the transmission to actually get a good look at what's going on. I just bought one for now. If it fails again hopefully it's either rebuildable or belongs to the next person...

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
that slave looks really similar to the ones used on hydraulic clutched redblock volvos (740, 940). worth a shot maybe.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I honestly think that the only thing worst than a Biturbo at this point in time is a Biturbo with previous owner fuckery in the Northeast. Godspeed, brave goon.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

meatpimp posted:

I honestly think that the only thing worst than a Biturbo at this point in time is a Biturbo with previous owner fuckery in the Northeast. Godspeed, brave goon.

I'm pretty sure all biturbos have PO fuckery

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm pretty sure all biturbos have PO fuckery

The PO is Maserati.

chrisgt posted:

I'm going for something between these two

Ok, why are there two lines going to the front brake calipers. And why is the bleeder not at the top? How the gently caress are you supposed to get the air out with the bleeder in the middle of the caliper like that? wtf.

So... you’re going to pre-run stages in it as a sweep car?

Can you just hang the caliper down so the bleeder is on the top?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

chrisgt posted:

I'm going for something between these two.

Then put a winch on it and run sweep with me.