Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Cool! Looks doable. With that and some Astro sockets, I should be in impact nirvana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Does walmart carry por 15?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Not that I’m aware of. NAPA did/does if you’re looking for local spots.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yeah, I just want a tiny can. The locator website for por 15 is about the absolute most fiasco of a webpage I've encountered in modern times. Brings chrome to its knees. Absolutely unusable.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Not every NAPA in town has it (you're still here right?) so call around before you head out.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I need a recomendation for a soldering iron. Its 100% for automotive repairs. So I need something cordless. I was using my dremel versamax but the tip broke and its not getting as hot anymore. So something cordless if possible but something durable more then anything else.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Milwaukee M12, it's really good.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
If you previously used a Dremel and that worked fine, yeah, get the Milwaukee.

If you need something battery‐powered for more delicate soldering, TS100 exists, but it’s not nearly as rugged.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Weller Portasol that's butane powered is a quality tool in my experience: https://www.amazon.com/Weller-P2KC-Professional-Self-igniting-Soldering/dp/B000WOHSHM But yeah these days a battery or DC powered one is still the most convenient.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Can anyone recommend some good ring terminals? Heat shrink would be nice, but I'd settle for anything better than what I have now which basically fall apart upon crimping and feel like dollar store quality.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

What gauge wire and what size ring terminal? The nicer standard ignition stuff is a pleasure to work with compared to the cheapo bulk box poo poo you'll find in the aisles most places.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 11, 2019

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I was thinking an assortment would be good since it'll be used for various tasks. Maybe something like this: https://www.amazon.com/120-Wirefy-H...ps%2C126&sr=8-3

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Possibly so. I made the recommendation of the standard stuff since I've used it to great effect on my own stuff.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I think I have that exact set, they're ok, on the nicer end of the Chineseum spectrum, shrink works great, but the terminals are a bit anemic.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Anyone have any opinions on automotive-geared oscilloscopes? I’m a dealer tech and I’m starting to find uses for one. There is a 4000$ PicoScope kit from our dealer network, but that’s more of a shop tool (which my boss doesn’t want to buy)

Thanks!

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

iForge posted:

What is the AI favorite for socket storage inside a toolbox drawer? Ill need racks for the following in 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive.

Deep chrome sae
Deep chrome metric
Shallow chrome sae
Shallow chrome metric
Deep impact sae
Shallow impact sae

I use a set of the Hansen organizers and love them: https://www.amazon.com/Hansen-Global-Metric-Socket-Storage/dp/B001C6NL52/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=socket+racks&qid=1555134270&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Been using them for a couple years now and they're real solid. Easy to just grab a tray and take it over to whatever you're working on. You'll need a deep toolchest drawer obviously.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Frank Dillinger posted:

Anyone have any opinions on automotive-geared oscilloscopes? I’m a dealer tech and I’m starting to find uses for one. There is a 4000$ PicoScope kit from our dealer network, but that’s more of a shop tool (which my boss doesn’t want to buy)

Thanks!

I don't really know what the requirements are for an automotive scope but Mike of mikeselectricstuff seems to be a fan of Micsig's tablet scopes for portable scoping. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Ee0wYtAZY. Looks like the Micsig STO1104C with the battery is around $700 shipped.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Had a business meeting most of last week and there was a bit of a surprise booth by Ingersoll Rand. I'm sort of a Milwaukee fan, but they make some really nice cordless tools.

https://www.ingersollrandproducts.com/en-ca/power-tools/products/impactools/w7152.html

Nowhere near the ecosystem of team red or yellow, but super nice and oozes quality. The big ring LED was very useful and didn't cast a shadow like the ones that have LEDs lower down.

If I were interested in just an impact and didn't care so much if the power source was usable on tons of other pieces, I'd take a hard look at it.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Several co-workers had the previous IR heavy impact, and they definitely feel like a step up in quality from the Milwaukee. I’m curious about the “hand tight” and “wrench right” setting on this thing

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Ingersoll-rand has had awesome electric impacts for years, but they are not very popular because:

they are pricier

they use proprietary batteries.

distributors are not common.

I've had one on my wishlist forever, but caved and bought a Milwaukee, because that's what the rest of my jobsites use.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I have a W7150 1/2" that I bought years ago. All my coworkers have snap-on cordless and air ratchets. The max torque of the W7150 was just on-par or just slightly more than the biggest snap-on, so whenever we had a really tight crank bolt or something - the W7150 would be the one to get it off.

The batteries still last just as long as they ever did. Even working full time, I only have to charge them once a week, and since it came with two batteries, I just trade them off the charger. It takes about 30 minutes for a battery to charge. The charger beeps LOUD when it's fully charged.

I also bought an R3130 3/8" ratchet, and it's kinda crap. It's huge, weighs quite a lot, and only does 54 ft-lbs. It's pretty much only good for long bolts you need to spin a lot.

The new W5132 looks quite interesting though. I might buy one.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Oh god local Harbor Freight wannabe just started carrying Quickjacks for about $1600. This is going to be hard to resist (although I want one badly).

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Oh god local Harbor Freight wannabe just started carrying Quickjacks for about $1600. This is going to be hard to resist (although I want one badly).

Actual quickjacks are $1100 from Costco, though, aren't they?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Raluek posted:

I don't think there's Costco in Sweden.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys
Speaking of battery systems, what's the latest hot take on Makita's battery system and cordless tools in general these days? Worth it if you are going totally greenfield with no legacy and aren't sharing tools?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

MrOnBicycle posted:

Are we talking about article no. 15-8407?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

EnergizerFellow posted:

Speaking of battery systems, what's the latest hot take on Makita's battery system and cordless tools in general these days? Worth it if you are going totally greenfield with no legacy and aren't sharing tools?

I'm sure they are good tools but there's not a huge difference between any teal/yellow/red impact driver or drill.

Buy near Father's day or black Friday and has the ecosystem of related tools that your need/want.

I went with Ryobi first go round and they're ok but I definitely like Milwaukee more.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I just noticed the Milwaukee leaf blower and trimmer (weed whacker) at Home Depot recently. They're way too expensive but also I neeeeed them.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

They are both skookum as frig.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Raluek posted:

Yeah sorry should have been clearer where I'm at, I was too exited lol. It's much cheaper than when only the Swedish Quickjack site was offering it @ ~$2500.
To be honest, I've spent too much time looking at different solutions and with how small Swedish garages tend to be in general, my chances of having a proper big garage with room for big lift are very slim. Unless I move to the countryside and build a garage or build one at my parents house where I currently do my wrenching. With the Quickjack I can put them on either side of the garage when done, as well as move them from place to place in the future.

bolind posted:

Are we talking about article no. 15-8407?

Yup. I had absolutely no idea that Biltema just started carrying these until I read some random blog post.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 15, 2019

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

That’s pretty awesome, so post if you end up proceeding. I’m (hopefully) building a garage within the next year or two and there’s no way it’ll fit a two post (very small two-car, somewhat low ceilings) so something like that could be a very good alternative.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

StormDrain posted:

I just noticed the Milwaukee leaf blower and trimmer (weed whacker) at Home Depot recently. They're way too expensive but also I neeeeed them.

Can vouch for both, but those 9Ah batteries are pricy as hell. I've been waiting for them to make a combo deal for their hedge trimmer, chainsaw, battery & charger for a while now. C'mon Milwaukee, you can do it!

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
What's a good digital torque wrench, available from Amazon in the US? My old spring-click craftsman just isn't cutting it anymore and I'm doing enough regular work that I need something durable and accurate.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

StormDrain posted:

Leaf blower works OK, I have the kit and use the blower (with a mini battery from the drill) for my 2 and 4 year old to "help".

If I bought it to actually do something, I would be a bit disappointed. Its probably 1/2 as powerful as my plug-in toro vac and blow. Weed Whacker is great for trimming, not good for clearing blackberry vines and stuff (what you would put one of those death blades on a Stihl for).

My local facebook market place has lots of batteries for sale, I think people must steal them or something, but they are a reasonable good deal.

Now that I have a 9 ah battery, I want to get the circular saw, and really wish they made a red mower, so I didn't have buy a yellow one or a Stihl one.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Re: lithium ion lawn equipment chat - I bought into the Ego ecosystem in 2017 and really can't complain much about anything.

Bought a line trimmer last summer and just picked up the 530 CFM blower a few weeks ago. Mower cuts my roughly acre lot (less driveway, modest sized house and a two car garage with attached shop) on about two charges of the 5 AH battery it came with. Trimmer runs forever on the 2.5 AH battery that came with it, only complaint with the blower is it really should have come with the ducted nozzle attachment I spent $20 on and waited for two weeks to arrive at my local Home Depot - don't have stuff shipped to the store unless you don't really need it any time soon.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Bought a $50 tool today I'll use exactly once. Dial bore gauge!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Ordered these through work on an impulse buy and drat, they just ooze quality.

Bahco makes some nice stuff. They're who makes most of Snap-on's pliers.

https://www.snaponindustrialbrands.com/prod-21-1-4426-226/bahco-adjustable-joint-pliers-8-big-mouth.htm

e: Interesting that the link says product of Argentina, mine said made in Spain right on them, and I just ordered them fresh right from Snap-on industrial (my company is a distributor).

slidebite fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 16, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

blindjoe posted:

My local facebook market place has lots of batteries for sale, I think people must steal them or something, but they are a reasonable good deal.

I'd wager a large percentage of FB marketplace merch is stolen.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

The Prong Song posted:

What's a good digital torque wrench, available from Amazon in the US? My old spring-click craftsman just isn't cutting it anymore and I'm doing enough regular work that I need something durable and accurate.

Delco digital torque adapters? I have them in 3/8” and 1/2” and love them, they were like $50 each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

slidebite posted:

Ordered these through work on an impulse buy and drat, they just ooze quality.

Bahco makes some nice stuff. They're who makes most of Snap-on's pliers.

https://www.snaponindustrialbrands.com/prod-21-1-4426-226/bahco-adjustable-joint-pliers-8-big-mouth.htm

e: Interesting that the link says product of Argentina, mine said made in Spain right on them, and I just ordered them fresh right from Snap-on industrial (my company is a distributor).

They make their ratchet internals as well. I have the 90-something tooth Bahco 3/8" and 1/4" ratchets and they're great and inexpensive.