Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Woot!, I got a item with +75% damage for SMG and +45 worse aim. Thats beast. I also have a slag SMG from the Pirate DLC that shots like 8 bullets at once, each bullet do something between 2000 and 6000 damage. This thing pulverize everything. Then I equipped a +14 damage from slag, for the lol's.

A borderlands game is really good when you have good weapons, so about 20% of the time.

Going through Borderlands 2 is amazing how much content have this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tei posted:

Woot!, I got a item with +75% damage for SMG and +45 worse aim. Thats beast. I also have a slag SMG from the Pirate DLC that shots like 8 bullets at once, each bullet do something between 2000 and 6000 damage. This thing pulverize everything. Then I equipped a +14 damage from slag, for the lol's.

The sandhawk? It's one of the game's most powerful weapons. (It's a pain to legitimately "farm" because it's a quest reward)

Just FYI in case you didn't know, slag weapons don't do boosted damaged against already slagged enemies like other damage types do.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Bofast posted:

I would argue that the same applies to Claptrap

Pretty much, yeah!

Although I started on the DLC today and the writing has definitely taken more of a shift towards the "wacky borderlands" writing most are familiar with.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Rinkles posted:

The sandhawk? It's one of the game's most powerful weapons. (It's a pain to legitimately "farm" because it's a quest reward)

Can't check it now, but I believe is a generic one. Got many like it, with the "shot waves of bullets", but this one was more happy than the others.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Tei posted:

Can't check it now, but I believe is a generic one. Got many like it, with the "shot waves of bullets", but this one was more happy than the others.

If you continue with the pirate dlc you'll get a unique, really cool (and really powerful) version of one of those.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Were these challenges always in BL1? They're basically the same as the badass points, but just give an XP bonus to the one save slot.

I just don't recall them.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Yeah they were always there, I enjoy that the different levels have unique names

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I see that Krom's dialogue audio is still broken in the remaster.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Torgue is a good DLC, probably the best one for BL2. His Thanksgiving DLC with the Wattlegobbler is also excellent.

Hot take incoming: I thought the Torgue DLC was thoroughly mediocre. Part of that might just be down to me being annoyed with how it scales (oops, you can't do tier 3 challenges on a first playthrough :byewhore:) though I liked the city map, since Borderlands has never really done that before.

I think all of the Headhunter DLCs are underrated.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I see that Krom's dialogue audio is still broken in the remaster.

I don't remember how buggy this stuff was in my most recent playthrough of the original (not that long ago), but it feels like dialogue is super busted in the updated version. Almost every boss has had audio problems and even just talking to Zed in Fyrestone sounds incredibly wrong.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 14, 2019

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

Hot take incoming: I thought the Torgue DLC was thoroughly mediocre. Part of that might just be down to me being annoyed with how it scales (oops, you can't do tier 3 challenges on a first playthrough :byewhore:) though I liked the city map, since Borderlands has never really done that before.

I mean, Badassasaurus or whatever it’s called is definitely the worst boss in Borderlands history. I feel like people praise the Torgue DLC because it introduced the Torgue character while forgetting that everything else attached to it was dogshit.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I really enjoy the content of Torgue, but the padding can die in a fire. The usual "Go back to this zone you just finished for a side quest that only unlocks after finishing the zone" horseshit in combination with moving Catch-a-ride stations just far enough from zone changes to be thoroughly annoying.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

None of the dlc is that fun to play through, IMHO.

BL2's leveling issues probably are a factor.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 14, 2019

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I enjoyed the DLC :shrug:

Consensus: none

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Cynic Jester posted:

I really enjoy the content of Torgue, but the padding can die in a fire. The usual "Go back to this zone you just finished for a side quest that only unlocks after finishing the zone" horseshit in combination with moving Catch-a-ride stations just far enough from zone changes to be thoroughly annoying.

Don't be a sucker who does every side quest.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Tiny Tina's was the only DLC I remember actually being fun to play (still had some bad spots), but Torgue's was still worth doing because Mr. Torgue and Piston were really entertaining while you ran back and forth over and over..

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Playing through them chronologically, first time playing TPS.

It's not bad but there's definitely something off about it. Everything is basically the same, but it somehow has lost the Borderlands vibe, and I don't think it has to do with the Oxygen / jumping stuff. I can't really put my finger on it, but toward the end I was disregarding most of the side content and B-lining for the main quest. This feeling was confirmed when I fired up BL2 and even the drat glacier felt so much better than TPS. Nisha was funny, though.

(When asphyxiating) "I'm normally into this but....."

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Andrigaar posted:

Were these challenges always in BL1? They're basically the same as the badass points, but just give an XP bonus to the one save slot.

I just don't recall them.

Yeah, they were there on launch. I don't even remember how many times I tried to jump vehicles off of ramps for the air hangtime challenges until someone told me how to break that one.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
It's the boring level design. Feels like mostly empty rooms with tons of ankle-high poo poo you can't just walk over.

E:

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

It's not bad but there's definitely something off about it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
For me the main thing with TPS is that outside of the small handful of hub areas (that naturally get re-used ad nauseam), most of its areas were built more like a traditional, mostly-linear FPS. I actually thought this was cool; I personally have always been pretty ambivalent at best about how Gearbox does map design and always wanted more maps like the random scattering of interior, non-dungeon designs you saw here and there in BL1 and more rarely in 2.

That said, a lot of the quest design is still carried over from 2 so you have a weird mix of map criss-crossing bullshit alongside linear levels and it doesn't mesh super well. And obviously if you're totally cool with the big, meandering maps from the previous games TPS will feel downright alien.

Edit: I think I'm the only person who actually kinda likes Hammerlock's DLC. It's flawed (and the whole savage land angle treads a bit too close into :yikes:), but I'd still probably put it above Torgue in terms of interesting stuff to see and do? Idk. Scarlett always suffered from being weirdly bland despite ostensibly having an excuse to go all-in on pirate shenanigans, IMO. You end up doing a lot of the same Standard Borderlands Stuff as usual, just with the occasional pirate-themed bit and some decent loot.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 15, 2019

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

As far as the big Borderlands 2 DLCs go, I would rank them as follows:

1. Tiny Tina
2. Torgue
3. Captain Scarlett
4. Hammerlock

Hammerlock loses a lot of points for the racism. Captain Scarlett is a fun character but aside from her there isn't a lot to say in it's favor, Torgue is entertaining, but suffers from a bad end boss, and Tiny Tina's is the most all-around enjoyable one in terms of both writing and gameplay.

Also in retrospect I should have done my first run for them in TVHM, as the level scaling stops way too soon and results in mediocre loot.

E: Also the Claptastic Voyage would go between Tina and Torgue as it was mostly fun but the end bosses are a slog to play through solo and I gave up on it because of it.

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 15, 2019

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Andrigaar posted:

It's the boring level design. Feels like mostly empty rooms with tons of ankle-high poo poo you can't just walk over.

E:

I feel like there are less mobs of enemies, or at least lower enemy density.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Tiny Tina has a lot of fun stuff, fresh content, and new items, but actually playing it might be my least favorite of the bunch.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Yeah those sword skeletons ruined the flow of combat in Tiny Tina imo. Other than that it was pretty great. The side quests were all pretty fun too.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Hammerlock is a fun character because he's cool and gay, but doesn't feel the need to remind me that he's gay in every single interaction unlike some moon dwelling Australian girls I met.

Dr. Bones
Nov 4, 2005

Private First Class in Blankman's Boot Camp of Goonery

Captain Scarlett just barely edges out Tiny Tina's as my favorite DLC because of the sand skiffs

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
I really like the Borderlands games, but i’m not going to buy this new one on Epic.

The only reason i’m not gonna buy it on Epic is I’ve heard some poo poo about the Epic store having security issues, and i’m not risking playing a multiplayer game on it. If it had the same security Steam did i’d buy it on Epic with no shits for Valve (or Gearbox, or Epic) given.

And now to actually talk about the games since i’m writing up this dumbass post for the thread. Since she came up I just wanted to say I’ve always had a soft spot for Tannis. An asocial lunatic who’s trying to live like a decent person came off to me as a genuinely likable character, and her distant but legit sadness at Roland’s death struck me as the most sincere character reaction to that. I hope she doesn’t get brutally murdered in the new game.

Also, Lilith and Tiny Tina suck because they didn’t want to let a pure and innocent soul like Mr. Torgue play dnd with them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lilith is just a bitch and Angel was victimized into hoodwinking you. Maya is the only likable Siren and maybe the Jojo Siren in this new game.

Steele doesn't count because she just grumbled for a while then got impaled by a squid.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Lilith is just a bitch and Angel was victimized into hoodwinking you. Maya is the only likable Siren and maybe the Jojo Siren in this new game.

Steele doesn't count because she just grumbled for a while then got impaled by a squid.

Steele was a Siren?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Arcsquad12 posted:

then got impaled by a squid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC0W4kI_P6s&t=136s

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Hammerlock is a fun character because he's cool and gay, but doesn't feel the need to remind me that he's gay in every single interaction unlike some moon dwelling Australian girls I met.

Who the gently caress cares? "Oh no they're shoving it down my throat" is a stupid old boomer thing. It's ok for gay people to talk about themselves and their sexuality. They don't all have to be like Veronica from Fallout.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Janey was fun, she had a promising future in motivational posters and children's stories if not for all the swearing.

Also Knoxx is another favorite: just so loving tired of this stupid planet.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Gnome de plume posted:

Janey was fun, she had a promising future in motivational posters and children's stories if not for all the swearing.

Also Knoxx is another favorite: just so loving tired of this stupid planet.

"It's finally over...I see a bright light. It's blinding... beautiful...no, wait. That's just the sun. poo poo."

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

It's not bad but there's definitely something off about it. Everything is basically the same, but it somehow has lost the Borderlands vibe, and I don't think it has to do with the Oxygen / jumping stuff.

I've been replaying Pre-Sequel and I think it's the same-y environments combined with the tedious platforming. For better or worse, there isn't very much like Borderlands 2's environmental aesthetic, while spaceship corridors and sterile ice/fire spacescapes feel very tired.

Also, even the rudimentary crafting means a lot more time loving around with inventory, while in BL and BL2 everything you didn't want just went into the trash or got left to rot. The grinder helps with the hosed drop rates BLPS inherited from BL2, but it probably would have been better to ditch the grinder and just unfuck the drop rates.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

I've been replaying Pre-Sequel and I think it's the same-y environments combined with the tedious platforming. For better or worse, there isn't very much like Borderlands 2's environmental aesthetic, while spaceship corridors and sterile ice/fire spacescapes feel very tired.

Also, even the rudimentary crafting means a lot more time loving around with inventory, while in BL and BL2 everything you didn't want just went into the trash or got left to rot. The grinder helps with the hosed drop rates BLPS inherited from BL2, but it probably would have been better to ditch the grinder and just unfuck the drop rates.

sell unstarred is a great feature though

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I always thought the playable characters in TPS were really well designed and I wish I could play them in BL2, nonsensical story be damned.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't like how Athena's main strength comes from Maelstrom, it feels gimmicky to me.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Man, people in BL games say "The world is a better place now that you've purged those repulsive scraps of humanity!" a lot. It's pretty uncomfortable in retrospect. (Doubly so if you pay attention to the backstory where all the psychos and raiders are former prisoner-slaves for the mining corporations.)

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't like how Athena's main strength comes from Maelstrom, it feels gimmicky to me.

It feels like it's a half-finished idea, like at some point the idea was to charge up the shield for benefits even when it wasn't out. A lot of BLPS's janky ideas feel that way, like they could've used another pass.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Rinkles posted:

sell unstarred is a great feature though

:agreed: marking things you don’t want to sell is so much better than marking stuff you want to sell

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I am freaking looking forward to Borderlands 3. But actually my spectations are very low. Borderlands was a super classic when it got released, still really fun today, but the world has changed for the worse. The odds of the game not having a infuriating feature (like buying golden keys for real money, or XP potions) is high. If the game release without some bullshit I will be very happy.

Hype levels: fearfull optimism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Tei posted:

I am freaking looking forward to Borderlands 3. But actually my spectations are very low. Borderlands was a super classic when it got released, still really fun today, but the world has changed for the worse. The odds of the game not having a infuriating feature (like buying golden keys for real money, or XP potions) is high. If the game release without some bullshit I will be very happy.

Hype levels: fearfull optimism

Worst case, the game will be awful and you can read the fascinating posts by people trying to defend it, I guess.