Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Piss album is real? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I've come around and decided I like Oczy Mlody a lot actually. I've also come around and decided the Terror kind of sucks.

Their beer was awful garbage.

The greatest hits regular version is basically what you'd expect the ten most popular songs of theirs on Spotify would be; in other words, it's completely unnecessary unless you just listened to Do You Realize for the first time and kind of liked it or something like that. The deluxe album was pretty good and playing through its entirety brought me back to when I loved the Lips.

Haven't seen the Lips live since 2013 but their recent shows look stellar visually, at least coming from the random photos/videos I've stumbled upon.

Mercury Rev kind of sucks.

I guess the Lips did something with the Spongebob Squarepants musical?

Their old pre-Zaireeka stuff is really dated. I mean, it's good for what it is but it's definitely a product of its time; and I understand why the band evolved the way it did. Personally, I wish they'd have done more stuff that was similar to Embryonic, but I can't complain about too much outside of the Miley Cyrus collaborations.

These are my thoughts on the Flaming Lips in 2018.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

facebook jihad posted:

Their old pre-Zaireeka stuff is really dated. I mean, it's good for what it is but it's definitely a product of its time; and I understand why the band evolved the way it did. Personally, I wish they'd have done more stuff that was similar to Embryonic, but I can't complain about too much outside of the Miley Cyrus collaborations.

That's kinda odd to me because I think Embryonic sounds more like their pre-Zaireeka stuff than anything else.

I'm certainly biased because of how long I've been listening to them, but I also am not afraid to drop a band when they start sounding dated to me, and while I could see Hear It Is or Telepathic Surgery being called "dated", I 100% disagree when it comes to Priest Driven Ambulance, Hit to Death, Transmissions, and Clouds. Those hold up phenomenally well, especially the deeper cuts like "When Yer Twenty-Two", "Halloween on the Barbary Coast", "Felt Good to Burn", etc

t0aine
Apr 7, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

facebook jihad posted:

Big problem

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

t0aine posted:

Big problem

The only problem is the use of the equivocal "kind of."

facebook jihad posted:

Mercury Rev sucks.

Fixed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Whether you end up liking Mercury Rev or not, I think the thread title is still accurate. :colbert:

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
The Flaming Lips were a band you'd enthusiastically claim to be a big fan of a decade ago, to where we are at now you'll feel a bit embarrassed and old if you claim to love them to someone.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

T Bowl posted:

The Flaming Lips were a band you'd enthusiastically claim to be a big fan of a decade ago, to where we are at now you'll feel a bit embarrassed and old if you claim to love them to someone.

Yeah, it's such a shame. I'm of the opinion that there's no such thing as a guilty pleasure and to just like what you like but I am definitely not offering up that nugget to anyone without caveats. Same as Metallica and a host of other bands that decided to fade away rather than burn out.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

T Bowl posted:

Right? Even like 5 years ago when The Terror came out, I would've called them one of my all-time favorite bands. Now I don't say that anymore.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah it's not a band I ever talk about anymore, or if I do, it's in the context of "can you believe how stupid Wayne Coyne has been for the past 10 years"

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

precision posted:

Yeah it's not a band I ever talk about anymore, or if I do, it's in the context of "can you believe how stupid Wayne Coyne has been for the past 10 years"

It's amazing, he turned 50, left his wife, and has just been an embarrassment ever since.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Right? Even like 5 years ago when The Terror came out, I would've called them one of my all-time favorite bands. Now I don't say that anymore.

As you can see from my Avi, I thought The Terror was dope but since then...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I still love The Terror, it's great, not quite as good as Embryonic but fuckin' miles above Oczy Mlody or Yoshimi

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Wayne's engaged to his girlfriend now, apparently. According to his instagram. I don't hate on modern Wayne as much as others do, but I was kind of surprised when I saw that. Don't really see post divorce Wayne being the marriage type, but what do I know.

precision posted:

That's kinda odd to me because I think Embryonic sounds more like their pre-Zaireeka stuff than anything else.

I'm certainly biased because of how long I've been listening to them, but I also am not afraid to drop a band when they start sounding dated to me, and while I could see Hear It Is or Telepathic Surgery being called "dated", I 100% disagree when it comes to Priest Driven Ambulance, Hit to Death, Transmissions, and Clouds. Those hold up phenomenally well, especially the deeper cuts like "When Yer Twenty-Two", "Halloween on the Barbary Coast", "Felt Good to Burn", etc

Been meaning to get back to you on this, but I don't really know how to argue without it just becoming a "this song/album sucks" "no it doesn't it's good" back and forth. They're all fine albums (though personally Hit to Death never did anything for me outside of the first track; love Priest Driven Ambulance though), they just sound like a product of their time, aka 90's alt rock. And yeah, Embryonic sounds the most like that stuff; but even then it's still apples to oranges, Embryonic is just the one apple that vaguely looks like an orange if you glance at it. It is at its essence a jam rock album in the middle of several psych-pop (before) and electronic/ambient/synthpop (after) releases.

I guess people who are really into Transmissions and Clouds Taste Metallic would probably be more into Mercury Rev than current stuff by the Lips. I just see that era as 90's rock, but don't really get trashing the current stuff in favor of that since it's mostly arguing that 80's/90's music is better than what's out today.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
Mercury Rev’s first two albums or as good as any Flaming Lips album pre-2001. Everything after that kind of sucks, but those first two records are massive. Those albums also sound very little like anything else that came out at the time, unless most ‘90s alt rock was awash in psychedelic noise.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

facebook jihad posted:

Just lmao.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

turnip kid posted:

Mercury Rev’s first two albums or as good as any Flaming Lips album pre-2001. Everything after that kind of sucks, but those first two records are massive. Those albums also sound very little like anything else that came out at the time, unless most ‘90s alt rock was awash in psychedelic noise.

Surely you mean first three??? I can't imagine anyone liking Boces and Yerself is Steam and not liking See You on the Other Side

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Especially if you put Cartwheel back in like it was supposed to be.

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
So the recent remasters of Hear It Is through In a Priest sound excellent. I haven't replaced my copy of the Punk Rockers CD boxset yet but the vinyl releases sound much better than the old Plain Recordings versions so I've copped those. Apparently The Mushroom Tapes is coming out for Record Store Day, and that's cooler than anything they've put out in a while.

I'm not mad at modern Wayne, just kind of disappointed. It feels like he's reached a point in his life where he's very comfortable and I don't think that's very conducive to having something interesting to say or making interesting art. He's got a nice home, he's financially secure, he's got a young girlfriend that he can take on vacation all over the world. It's a pretty sweet gig- tour the festival circuit, say something about Miley pee once a year to keep his name in the news, make sure some kind of memorabilia is available for two days of the year and he's set. It's hard to blame him for taking it easy after working like a madman for 30 years to reach this point, but it's hard to deny it's had a measurable impact on his new creative work and his ability to evaluate artistic merit.

My takeaway from Oczy Mlody was more or less that he's become kind of a boring person.

The songwriting and production methodology was basically the same process they'd been using since the 2011 project, except with a hi-fi Yoshimi coat of paint. One of the album's primary themes (drugged, hedonistic parties as the world ends!) is a weak retread of the far superior Heady Fwends album, and the other ancillary ideas are unfocused or barely paid lip service (it's sort of, but not really about opoid addiction, it's sort of, but not really, about fantasy fables). Sunrise takes a song Miley Cyrus did better and shamelessly tries to evoke one of The Soft Bulletin's most sublime segments. Lyrics range from half-assed attempts at stream-of-consciousness writing to half-hearted simulations of Quirky Songs Wayne Coyne Would Write. The only track where it feels like Wayne is firing on all cylinders is One Night While Hunting, and it's because it's about exploring his own capacity to hurt others for his own gain (or simply because he can) and being forgiven without being deserving of it... It's an introspective song that feels like he truly challenged himself and the result is a fantastic track that is among some of the band's best work, and it stands out on an album overrun by stagnation, complacency and pandering.

Concerning gossip about his personal life, we really don't know what happened between him and Michelle outside of what that one gossip blog posted, surfingelectrode's dramatic teasing of insider knowledge, and Wayne's own words that he decided to just end the relationship one day. That doesn't really add up to a complete picture at all. There was never much of an actual explanation because of the way the divorce dragged out over years with both parties wanting to keep things very quiet. There's a lot of as-of-yet unexplained stuff in the 2011 output, The Terror and its associated tour that hints at that relationship being hosed up far before the split happened.

Edit: As bad as Oczy Mlody was, it was still better than The Light in You.

MajorB fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 15, 2018

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MajorB posted:

Concerning gossip about his personal life, we really don't know what happened between him and Michelle outside of what that one gossip blog posted, surfingelectrode's dramatic teasing of insider knowledge, and Wayne's own words that he decided to just end the relationship one day. That doesn't really add up to a complete picture at all. There was never much of an actual explanation because of the way the divorce dragged out over years with both parties wanting to keep things very quiet. There's a lot of as-of-yet unexplained stuff in the 2011 output, The Terror and its associated tour that hints at that relationship being hosed up far before the split happened.

Maybe we'll all find out when Wayne writes a book and has a limited special edition where he puts a used condom with his own jizz between the pages, along with some jizz flavored gummies (flavored with his jizz)

I just wish they would make an entire album that sounds like driving to work in the year 2025

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Flaming Lips suck etc anyway anyone else going to the cave show tonight?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Wayne got married and he’s expecting his first kid.

https://pitchfork.com/news/the-flaming-lips-wayne-coyne-gets-married-inside-plastic-bubble/

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I feel bad for the kid :ohdear:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You know what, the headline "Wayne Coyne gets married inside plastic bubble" is enough for me, I'm not even reading that goddamn article

Wayne you are not Frank Zappa god drat it

You're not even Roger Waters!

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
The new album is actually good! It's a massive step in the right direction. The storybook conceit works and the whole thing comes off as very sweet. In some ways it feels like a redo of Oczy Mlody, but with a far more focused vision and a willingness to play to the band's strengths.

My favorite song on it is "How Many Times," which is a shameless Yoshimi nostalgia trap and IT TOTALLY WORKS. You can hear it about 1 hour into this BBC stream.

The album is only out in a limited RSD vinyl run for the time being, though I'm sure it'll be floating around the internet very soon. In the meantime, here's the opener for side B.

MajorB fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 14, 2019

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There's a new album?

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er

precision posted:

There's a new album?

Yeah, it's called "King's Mouth" and it's based on that travelling art installation Wayne made. It's straight-up the next official album. The idea is that it's a children's storybook narrative, and features some narration by Mick Jones of The Clash. The full-scale release is in a few months, but they did a soft launch on gold vinyl for Record Store Day. I suspect they did so to build word of mouth, since nobody's going to get involved in a Lips hype cycle after Oczy Mlody. It's not a work of self-important grandeur, it's a surprisingly casual back-to-basics album which makes it very refreshing.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
it's a good album just like the last few albums have also been good albums

the flaming lips make good music and I am unsurprised that they have continued to do so

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well, yeah, Steven is still in the band! :)

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
The wide release of King's Mouth is July 19th. Source

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MajorB posted:

The wide release of King's Mouth is July 19th. Source

I gotta say... it's a good record. Probably won't get heavy rotation but a big step up from Oczy imo

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Yeah this is pretty deece stuff

precision posted:

Well, yeah, Steven is still in the band! :)

Indeed

edit - seriously how does Wayne sound this good

Brock Samson fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 22, 2019

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Oczy Mlody wasn't that bad.

I'm interested but if the clamor is "oh it's like Yoshimi" then I'm not that hyped. I'm so over that album.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
it's not, really. some of it definitely harkens back to the simpler, more pleasant compositions of that era but the album overall feels like a confident progression forward from Oczy, rather than a retread

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wow it's.....Really good. I actually listened to the entire album without forwarding once, and I can't say that for their last few albums. It does a have a Bulletin/Yoshimi-ish vibe to it and Wayne's vocals remind me a lot of Zaireeka, he sounds great. It's a cool weird kind of story too I like it, it wouldn't be the Lips if it wasn't a little weird.

The main thing tho is it comes across very positive and happy. I wonder if it's because of Wayne's recent marriage, he must be at a happy place in his life now which is good, maybe he'll settle down and be cool with being just a little weird instead of being a crazy old man taking grenades to airports and poo poo.

Looking forward to the tour and stage show to go with the story, hope they make it to Florida.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 14, 2019

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It does a have a Bulletin/Yoshimi-ish vibe to it and Wayne's vocals remind me a lot of Zaireeka, he sounds great.

Jesus loving Christ it isn't 2003 anymore.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

facebook jihad posted:

Jesus loving Christ it isn't 2003 anymore.

Yeah well what they were doing wasn't going over that well so maybe they went back to doing something more familiar?

Idk, either way I like it better when they are in a happy place writing music and not all dark and gloomy because imo they're not good at that.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Hey gang, King’s Mouth got streaming today so anyone who hasn’t had a chance to listen, now you’ve got a chance to listen.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I like it. I'd rank the last 10 years' actual releases

1. Embryonic
2. The Terror + Peace Sword
3. King's Mouth
4. Oczy Mlody

They did a lot of dumb poo poo between those (cover albums, the Miley Cyrus stuff, etc) but of their actual mainline releases I think Oczy Mlody is the only one I outright disliked.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

King’s Mouth is good and it’s nice to have some good music for the first time since The Terror and it’s not just the Wayne Coyne Cringe Show now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Kings Mouth is soooo loving good. Agreed, first Lips since Terror/Peace Sword that's stayed in rotation for more than a couple weeks. My introduction to it was the supercut medley they use in the Kings Mouth sculpture (SORRY WAYNE, KINGS MOUTH; IMMERSIVE HEAD TRIP FANTASY EXPERIENCE), a couple days before the retail drop. If you're ever near one, definitely check it out (at The Womb until September 20th?).

<- e: oh my god, Dan Ashcroft Avatar, stop being so dismissive

It's like taking their stage show with all the programmable led strips, and stuffing it into an 8' tube, and lying underneath it.

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 4, 2019