Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Readheaded
Dec 22, 2004
Tish and piffle, I cannot conceive how that car with the performance of a car twice its price hasn't even got a teak glovebox or swan skin seatbelts. Inferior rubbish from the colonies, m
Hi All,

Your advice is appreciated. Just bought a 14" Lenovo with an AMD Ryzen 7. It has dual channel RAM, which I've already ordered 2x8GB to replace. It has a traditional 500GB Hard Drive and I ordered a 1GB NvMe SSD to replace that. There are two drive slots, though. Should I replace one with a smaller SSD for OS and some files nad one larger SSD or am I good running the OS and files on the 1TB NvMe I bought?

I haven't set up a new PC in a long time, so thanks for your help. I'm good with 1TB, I think, from a storage standpoint. My current laptop is pretty maxed out at 500GB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I setup my laptop with a 256GB SSD boot drive and a 2TB mechanical storage drive. I think a large cheap storage drive is the way to go, but if you're going all SSD it's not going to hurt anything.

I also went 8 years without a laptop because I had no need for one the way I was living. From early 2011 to late 2018.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Apr 15, 2019

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Readheaded posted:

I haven't set up a new PC in a long time, so thanks for your help. I'm good with 1TB, I think, from a storage standpoint. My current laptop is pretty maxed out at 500GB.
Your course of action seems reasonable. SSD and RAM are two places where manufacturers massively gouge, between 3x-10x of the consumer price.

A 1tb ssd that you boot and store stuff on is fine. I'd keep anything on the laptop backed up, either to another computer you own, external hd, or to a cloud storage service of some kind (like dropbox, but I'm not necessarily endorsing dropbox).

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 15, 2019

Readheaded
Dec 22, 2004
Tish and piffle, I cannot conceive how that car with the performance of a car twice its price hasn't even got a teak glovebox or swan skin seatbelts. Inferior rubbish from the colonies, m
Thank you - just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something or that having two drives wasn't preferred to one larger single. I do back everything up at regular intervals. I've always doubled what is traditionally the most commonly sold amount of RAM every time I get a new computer. My 2017 work laptop, a MacBook Pro, is a dog with 8GB of RAM and my 2009 MacBook (yes, really) with 16GB of RAM is so much better managing multiple programs, even with an old Core2Duo and slower DDR3 RAM, it's not even funny.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
RAM depends on what you do. So get more if you actually need it, don't just 'double' what normal stuff comes with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, that's good advice. My computers are a mix of 8 and 16 GB of memory depending on what I do with them. Nothing feels limited about the 8 GB computers for what they need to do.