Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

gary oldmans diary posted:

man there was either a video game music thread or a genesis music thread a while back i cant remember. but either way people were trying way too hard to believe genesis music was good and only like 4 of the songs werent painful to hear

ill tell you one thing though. even though the colors sometimes seemed a little wrong in some genesis games i saw a screenshot of guiles stage in the genesis version of street fighter 2 and that sky was awesome

If there was anything objectively better between the two consoles, it was the SNES sound chip. It was such a huge leap from NES and the Genesis sounded like poo poo in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

The coolest thing about the genesis was sega channel.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i think i made all the right console picks growing up except with the n64. it was pretty and all and might have had less shovelware but playstation 1 had so many drat games it was ridiculous
n64 vs psx is probably the most divisive

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

lol that sega had an online streaming game library 25 years ago and nintendo makes you enter a random string of 16 wingdings to add your friends in 2019

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
https://youtu.be/yNr-CsCn61Y

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
The biggest problem about Genesis is that a video game console is supposed to have games you want to play on it. Pretty good soundchip though.

At least the Sega CD got the Special Edition CD Quality Audio version of Earthworm Jim and the base Genesis had a vastly superior soundtrack to the SNES version.

There is not a single game on the Genesis that even begins to compare to the perfection known as Super Metroid.

An entire video game console trumped by a single game. Nice choice of hardware blast-dweebs.

Redemption vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWBi02hMXpI

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Apr 15, 2019

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

It sounds simple... Because it is (not)

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I never really gave two shits about the Genesis v SNES controversy because I had them both :smug:

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
Spent way more time than I should have playing Sewer Shark.

ashrum3
Feb 16, 2019
i miss the day of sega i would play that poo poo for hours

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Aladdin on SNES was superior to the SEGA version and I’ll fight anyone who says otherwise.

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Necros posted:

The coolest thing about the genesis was sega channel.

there are levels of the Garfield sega game that are lost forever because they were only available on sega channel

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

best bale posted:

Aladdin on SNES was superior to the SEGA version and I’ll fight anyone who says otherwise.

I only played the SNES version, but was pissed when I saw that the SEGA version had a sword! Pissed I could only throw apples and bounce on heads like a baby on SNES.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

best bale posted:

I remember loving HATING the Lion King game on genesis. I don't think my brother or I ever finished it. was the SNES version better?

e: holy poo poo maybe I need to try it again

quote:

Entertainment Weekly gave the Super NES version an A and the Genesis version a B+ and wrote that "Controlling Simba when he's a playful bundle of fur is one thing; putting him through his paces as a full-maned adult is quite another. When the grown-up Simba gives a blood-curdling roar and mauls snarling hyenas, the interaction is so well observed that it's like watching a PBS nature documentary. The sense of power it gives you is exhilarating, and by the time Simba takes his climactic heavyweight stand against his evil uncle Scar, this Lion King has turned into a wild-kingdom variant of Street Fighter II."

Stevie Lee fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 15, 2019

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Lion King on sega is hard because you have to do a weird thing rolling your thumb over the C and B buttons just right to do adult Simba's throwing move

unless you buy the 6 button controller

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Hells yeah check my gear

Like that Genesis ad said, "Play Sega now or we'll segajizz in your cystholes motherfucker! SEGA"

Xtra Innings Lovin
Nov 11, 2016

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I never really gave two shits about the Genesis v SNES controversy because I had them both :smug:

:eyepop:

My memories of the genesis mostly consist of playing a lot of World Series baseball ‘95. I don’t think I played anything else on it. :shrug:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I text OPs brother and he said he only had a Sega Pico and would cry if someone said it wasn't a Genesis.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

homeless guy posted:

Lion King on sega is hard because you have to do a weird thing rolling your thumb over the C and B buttons just right to do adult Simba's throwing move

unless you buy the 6 button controller

That was weird on the SNES too as I recall.
That game was really hard.
I replayed it not so long ago for shits and giggles, and that Be Prepared level is still insanely hosed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ngluNuP2f8
Child torture is what they made.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I had a game gear and that poo poo was a great way to burn through AA batteries. also I think it had a TV tuner built in?

mine didn't come with a wrist strap so I wrote Sega a letter about it and they sent me one plus a free copy of a Shinobi game, so that was pretty cool of them

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

All the MK talk makes me lol about how shook Boomer parents were over 8-bit blood

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Dropping acid and spreading AIDS is a-okay but PIXEL BLOOD??? NOPPITY NOPE!

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

grill youre saelf posted:

I only played the SNES version, but was pissed when I saw that the SEGA version had a sword! Pissed I could only throw apples and bounce on heads like a baby on SNES.
:argh:

Stevie Lee posted:

I remember loving HATING the Lion King game on genesis. I don't think my brother or I ever finished it. was the SNES version better?
e: holy poo poo maybe I need to try it again
I never played it either but got drat now I want to

gey muckle mowser posted:

I had a game gear and that poo poo was a great way to burn through AA batteries. also I think it had a TV tuner built in?
I had one but batteries were never a huge issue because the only games I owned were a Star Wars game that was so hard I never played it and the power rangers fighting game which got old pretty fast. Ha, although thinking back brand new batteries wouldn’t cover an hour-long car ride.

The TV tuner was a separate add-on. I know this because I unsuccessfully petitioned my parents for it for weeks. I never got it and am now slightly comforted by the fact that apparently it was crap. But only slightly. :colbert:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Contra Hard Corps is my favorite Contra game, also my Dreamcast still gets more use than my Gamecube or my PS2 these days because of Soul Calibur

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 53 minutes!

:laffo: at Yoshi's face

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
anyone ever beat that stargate game because i sure as poo poo did not?

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues
Did anyone else have the Sega Smashpack PC game that was literally just the Kega emulator with like 10 ROMS included and no way to load other games?

Sega definitely beat Nintendo to the punch with that idea.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Negrostrike posted:

Hells yeah check my gear

Like that Genesis ad said, "Play Sega now or we'll segajizz in your cystholes motherfucker! SEGA"

All your Sega gear is missing a game gear

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Negrostrike posted:

Hells yeah check my gear

At first I thought that Saturn had been in desert storm but it’s a translucent one?? That’s cool, didn’t know about those

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
bold statement: jank rear end master system sonic was actually p. good

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
not sonic blast obviously i am not a crazy man

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7yyvvTVXHA&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUycZ86mL0c&hd=1

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Am I misremembering or did the Genesis controller have analog buttons? I'm almost positive that since it didn't have enough buttons, it was set so that one of the attacks was pressure-sensitive on the button for if it would be high or low punch/kick.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sonic CD was real good. Were there any Sonic games for the 32X?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

What? Genesis has the perfect amount of buttons. 6 for weak mid and strong punches/kicks

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Negrostrike posted:

What? Genesis has the perfect amount of buttons. 6 for weak mid and strong punches/kicks

But that's not what the base genesis controller has, it has A B C

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Negrostrike posted:

I don't think the US Genesis ever came standard with the 6-button. I know I only ever saw it on the Saturn.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
i had a 6 button controller but was still an absolute scrub at eternal champions

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Google tells me that they weren't pressure-sensitive, games just recognized the length of the button press and interpreted it that way.

Fatalities in Mortal Kombat were really hard to do correctly. I remember the timing being extremely tight, so it was incredibly easy to hold the button for a fraction of a second too long and get a Strong Kick instead of Weak Kick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
always picked the vampire guy because i was so deep and tortured