Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
HALLOWEEN FILMS:

Halloween (1978)
Halloween (2018)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

https://letterboxd.com/vincentprice/list/halloween-ranked/

Just like my Friday the 13th rankings (https://letterboxd.com/vincentprice/list/friday-the-13th-ranked/), it is scientifically accurate after hours and hours of intense research.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Neo Rasa posted:

HALLOWEEN FILMS:

Halloween (1978)
Halloween (2018)
Halloween II (1981)
Halloween III: Season of the Witch
Halloween II (2009)
Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Meyers
Halloween (2007)
Halloween: H2O
Halloween Resurrection
Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers
Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Meyers

I agree, that certainly is a list of all the Halloween films.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lurdiak posted:

All right my bad, it's been a while.

Watch it again, you might like it more! :v:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Where's the actual cut of Halloween 6

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Considering Halloween III really isn't a proper Halloween film, this:

Stink Billyums posted:

HALLOWEEN FILMS:

Halloween (1978)
Halloween (2018)

but also Halloween II (2009)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Watch it again, you might like it more! :v:

It's fine. It's fine! A perfectly fine film.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
Is Halloween 6 the only movie Paul Rudd gives a bad performance in?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Burkion posted:

Where's the actual cut of Halloween 6

It existing is why I rank 6 above 5. :D

Big Bob Pataki posted:

Is Halloween 6 the only movie Paul Rudd gives a bad performance in?

I would say so, dude just owns.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Halloween 2 is terrible. Its a bad Friday the 13th film that undercuts the whole "horror is random" message of the first.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Hold on, I got you all beat:

Halloween (1978) 
Halloween II (1981) 
Halloween Resurrection 
Halloween (2007)
Halloween II (2009)
Halloween (2018)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Neo Rasa posted:

HALLOWEEN FILMS:

Halloween (1978)
Halloween (2018)
Halloween II (1981)
Halloween II (2009)
Halloween (2007)
Halloween Resurrection

I would say Halloween 2018 is the second best Halloween II. Also kinda bold putting Resurrection above 6. Whatever is going on with 6 is better than Myers getting hosed up with salt and pepper.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Halloween 3 should not really be on the list of other Halloween films imo.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hollismason posted:

"So here are my favorite Saw movies, and Casablanka also."

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
I've yet to see the Rob Zombie Halloweens, but for me it goes:

Halloween
Halloween III
All the other ones, no idea what order
Halloween: The One with Paul Rudd

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Rob Zombie's Halloween > Rob Zombie's Halloween II > all the other Halloweens

this isn't my opinion just to be contrarian this is my genuine opinion

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
well it certainly is an opinion

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Speaking of event horizon, I wish they didn't make the black hole so clearly lead to 'hell' instead of simply leading to a dimension where the laws of physics are so hosed its basically a hell for anyone who lived in our dimension

Like the idea that trying to live in a world where our laws of cause and effect no longer make sense being indistinguishable from torment is such a cool idea

really late reply but the junji ito comic Hellstar Remina does a really great job of portraying an utterly incomprehensible alien hellscape

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Burkion posted:

I mean in like ranking them its kind of its own separate thing.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Burkion posted:

Saw
Saw II
Casablanca
Saw VI
Jigsaw
Saw III

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

HALLOWEEN FILMS:

Halloween (1978)
Halloween (2018)
Halloween II (1981)
Halloween II (2009)
Halloween (2007)
Halloween Resurrection

Halloween rankings on the only ones I have a real opinion about :

Top 4 are the original two Halloweens, Halloween 3, and Halloween 2018. Ranking doesn't matter, they're just my favs and some days I might feel like 2018's the best and other days it's the original, or the second, or the third

All of them and everything else especially H20 and Resurrection above both Rob Zombie "efforts", with enough distance I might even be able to also slot just generic films with the word Halloween in the title (like Tales of Halloween that lovely anthology of course Neil Marshall was involved in) and films taking place during the holiday season (like the Peanuts Great Pumpkin short) above those two "films"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 is arguably the worst movie I have ever seen in a theater second only to the Spirit

Halloween 2 is an ethical and aesthetic abomination

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I agree with KvIt! more than I disagree. The original stands alone, and I think Zombie's Halloween II is better than his first, but other than that yea they're better than any of the other Halloween films. I need to see the new one another time or two before I feel comfortable ranking it though.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I can never take Halloween 2 (rob zombie) seriously when we are told Laurie became so traumatized she turned into a fan of KISS and other bands Rob Zombie liked as a teenager

Like, A. its absurd that someone is so traumatized they become a rock chick and B. that they don't even listen to modern music but only music exclusive to the tastes of the director

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Season of the Witch movies, ranked:

3. Season of the Witch (2011)

2. Season of the Witch (1973)

1. Season of the Witch (1982)

Honestly it's a toss up between 2 and 3. 2011 is forgettable, but it does have Ron Perlman and Nick Cage in it, though I seem to recall that they were both phoning it in. I disliked 1973 but I like Romero overall and it just seems like the movie's reach may have exceeded it's grasp in this instance. It also had some weird production and release issues (Hungry Wives lol).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Considering Halloween III really isn't a proper Halloween film, this:

I'd contend that because Halloween was intended to be an anthology series, the only two Halloween movies are Halloween and Halloween III :colbert:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Rob Zombie's Halloween > Rob Zombie's Halloween II > all the other Halloweens

this isn't my opinion just to be contrarian this is my genuine opinion

Zombie's first Halloween is good stuff. :hfive: But Halloween II shoots up a lot for me because of how (in the director's cut at least) it goes straight into supernatural kind of territory where there's no way real world way to reconcile how it plays out, but it sticks the landing to me and doesn't destroy my suspension of disbelief. In a way it's sort of a low key 70s witchcraft movie and a slasher movie happening at the same time today and I appreciate that. I felt like this was even more true once Lords of Salem happened and also the movie got the time period of the holiday down, parts of the movie reminded me a lot of my own late teenage/early 20s years when I was living in a similar suburban sorta town.

I will admit this borders on sacrilege, since it's showing a preference for Michael being something "more" than just a dude randomly killing people. And I do have to agree with folks that while I didn't necessarily mind Tyler Man being Michael and being an insanely huge hulking dude, his "costume" goes way too far into pro wrestler gimmick territory.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 is arguably the worst movie I have ever seen in a theater second only to the Spirit

Halloween 2 is an ethical and aesthetic abomination

Is this about both Halloween 2's or just Zombie's? I'm impressed at how extremely polarizing both are, even more than Halloween III.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I would say Halloween 2018 is the second best Halloween II. Also kinda bold putting Resurrection above 6. Whatever is going on with 6 is better than Myers getting hosed up with salt and pepper.

6 is one of those flicks that even in its producer's cut form, to me it's just fundamentally bad. And Resurrection is bad too but at least once it gets going it's still about Michael being a lone person rolling around his family home killing folks indiscriminately and not the whole cult film. I rank 5 lower because it' seven worse overall and also introduced that whole thing (though IIRC they didn't even have an explanation when the movie was made and just wanted something surprising to happen at the end!). Resurrection is inadvertently (and at times purposely) a laughable hoot too which helps. Plus it's notable that Resurrection beats Zombie Halloween II to the punch for hearing Michael's voice for the first time. :3:

Honestly, I like Halloween movies very much in general so while I did rank these most of them are a lot closer to each other to me than a rank would imply, maybe tiers would be better:

A Tier:
Halloween (1978)
Halloween (2018)
Halloween II (1981)
Halloween II (2009)

B Tier:
Halloween (2007)

C Tier:

LMAO Tier:
Halloween Resurrection

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 15, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

Is this about both Halloween 2's or just Zombie's? I'm impressed at how extremely polarizing both are, even more than Halloween III.

just Rob Zombies

original Halloween 2 is just meh for me although I do like how dumb it is a guy gives himself a lethal concussion and manages to wander into the exact car Laurie is hiding in

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

just Rob Zombies

original Halloween 2 is just meh for me although I do like how dumb it is a guy gives himself a lethal concussion and manages to wander into the exact car Laurie is hiding in

Original 2 does have an incredible nod to continuity with that kid they mistakenly think is Michael that gets COMPLETELY FUCKIN' OBLITERATED being the same person Laurie's friends tried to set her up with for the homecoming dance in the first movie. :3:

https://thetastebasket.com/2015/10/25/remembering-ben-tramer-1961-1978-2/

They inadvertently made a metaphor for how surviving her ordeal with Michael in the first film is now her life and any chance at a "normal" socially acceptable life is now permanently gone even if Michael is incinerated, like Ben Tramer, her potential link to that, who was also incinerated, while dressed like Michael. :wtc:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Hollismason posted:

I mean in like ranking them its kind of its own separate thing.

Pretty much I consider the Halloween franchise films and Rob Zombie's versions as two distinct franchises just because I think the differences between them are enough to treat them as two franchises.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I never knew until last year they added a scene in the original Halloween for TV where he carves "sister" on a wall in the asylum before escaping and that they added it in to set up Halloween 2

I always thought it was in the original version which is why I never got why people said Laurie being her sister is only in the sequel

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

M_Sinistrari posted:

Pretty much I consider the Halloween franchise films and Rob Zombie's versions as two distinct franchises just because I think the differences between them are enough to treat them as two franchises.

Ironically Halloween is probably my favorite Rob Zombie film even though Halloween 2 is my absolute least favorite

The Michael as a child scenes are great and get maligned too often by nerd critics. I thought the idea of having the new Michael created by the same social malaise that made the original film a time capsule was a brilliant touch.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Halloween 1978
Rob Zombie's Halloween II
Halloween 2018
Halloween II
Rob Zombie's Halloween
Halloween H20
Halloween: Resurrection
Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Meyers

I need to give 2018 a rewatch because I remember liking it on the whole but also being put off by how on-the-nose many of the callbacks to 1978 were.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The Michael as a child scenes are great and get maligned too often by nerd critics. I thought the idea of having the new Michael created by the same social malaise that made the original film a time capsule was a brilliant touch.

Same here. All of that was really strong. The weakest part of the movie to me was was how fast it shifted gears to him as an adult and then to him in the traditional style mask outfit. I mean the individual scenes were fine but you could really feel how indifferent Zombie was to remaking the original too closely and how much of that was out of obligation.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I never knew until last year they added a scene in the original Halloween for TV where he carves "sister" on a wall in the asylum before escaping and that they added it in to set up Halloween 2

I always thought it was in the original version which is why I never got why people said Laurie being her sister is only in the sequel

I believe the 25th anniversary VHS/DVD has this in the movie in addition to the part where you see Michael's face dead on in the asylum when Loomis meets with him for the last time before his escape. So I should double check the tape tonight but it's very possible you've also seen official releases with this which makes that very understandable.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
All of the stuff related to trauma in Halloween 2 works really well for me and then combined with the ferocity of Zombie's Michael it makes for a much more emotional movie than any of the others. It has an emotional intensity that none of the others really even attempt.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Wait, the Exorcist TV show is actually good? What the gently caress?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

The Exorcist TV show is loving GREAT. It goes in directions that I was not at all expecting while still feeling very much like the voice of Exorcist and Exorcist III. Like I cannot believe it was cancelled.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

COOL CORN posted:

Yeah, I thought it was going to suck, especially since it was parked in the death slot, but it actually owned. At least the first season did, I didn't know there was a second season until last week

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

All of the stuff related to trauma in Halloween 2 works really well for me and then combined with the ferocity of Zombie's Michael it makes for a much more emotional movie than any of the others. It has an emotional intensity that none of the others really even attempt.

See, I am completely opposite

All the trauma comes off as completely false and inauthentic. No one in the films acts like a real person who has gone through a traumatic event and instead just has a completely different character from the first film.

Like, Dr. Loomis being superficial in the sequel could have been done as him basically being mentally and spiritually broken by his failure to reform Michael but instead he's just a selfish gloryhound this time for absolutely no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ironically Halloween is probably my favorite Rob Zombie film even though Halloween 2 is my absolute least favorite

The showing Michael's life as a child is one of the few grumbles I had with the Rob Zombie version because I liked the idea that evil can just happen from the original and in the RZ version it felt like they were ticking off the list of indicators of a serial killer. It's one of the points I bring up with why the RZ films really should be looked at as thier own franchise rather than part of the main franchise.