Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Tei posted:

I am freaking looking forward to Borderlands 3. But actually my spectations are very low. Borderlands was a super classic when it got released, still really fun today, but the world has changed for the worse. The odds of the game not having a infuriating feature (like buying golden keys for real money, or XP potions) is high. If the game release without some bullshit I will be very happy.

Hype levels: fearfull optimism

I've thought about that as well, bl came at the right time before games were dipped in a cauldron of micro transactions. So many games would have been different if new today; imagine The Sims coming out now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Donovan Trip posted:

I've thought about that as well, bl came at the right time before games were dipped in a cauldron of micro transactions. So many games would have been different if new today; imagine The Sims coming out now

The Sims was always pushing the envelope for how aggressively you can monetize an AAA game. It had seven expansions back at a time when expansions were mainly sold on store shelves.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Wasn't it with The Sims 2 that they started selling little $2-$7 cosmetic packs of paintings, furniture, and poo poo?

Friend of mine who worked on one or two of the games said the profit margins were disgusting for whichever it was.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Andrigaar posted:

Wasn't it with The Sims 2 that they started selling little $2-$7 cosmetic packs of paintings, furniture, and poo poo?

Friend of mine who worked on one or two of the games said the profit margins were disgusting for whichever it was.

The sims was a video game for people who didn't play video games, it was the first cultural phenomenon in games imo

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Andrigaar posted:

Stuff packs and yeah, 2 started it. In 3 they added microtransactions in the form of items and skins you could buy off their web store (and started showing unpurchased items within the game if you didn't turn off these ads in the right menu).

Although the bigger thing, at least to me, is how they recycled 80% or more of their expansions every time. Every new game was missing weather and vacations and pets that inevitably a new expansion would add later. And every time fans went and bought them all over again.

Funny enough, Sims 3 was so badly done, a good EA customer (who bought most of the expansions, stuff packs and store items) can absolutely cripple even modern high end systems.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Now that I'm into BL2 a ways I notice one factor a lot more about TPS: The enemies had very little character.

The psychos and nomads are screaming nonsensical and funny poo poo at me while I blow them away in BL2 - but I remember virtually none of that from TPS. Either that or it was so bland that I didn't even notice. Even the Bullymongs seem to have more personality than those splitting rocklizards when they pick up outrageously large objects to toss at me.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I'm pretty sure a few of the sidequests in TPS were also poor copies of BL2 missions. Only, like you said, without any pizzazz.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
TPS is like if you had a kid who was ginger.

You have to love it because it's part of your family - but you know deep down there's no soul there.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I honestly don't remember much about TPS. I remember the first 5 hours or so and some stuff in the middle and almost nothing near the end. I remember that most of the side quests were boring and uninteresting and I eventually just ignored them and pushed through to the end. I don't remember the final level or final boss or even the ending. I only played as Nisha and if it wasn't for the broken auto aim skill with laser weapons I may not have finished it at all.

Worst part is that I have no interest in playing it again to refresh my memory and will probably just YouTube the cutscenes.

I just finished BL1 remaster last night and it was a lot more enjoyable than I expected. There were actually things I had forgotten about. It was also a much quicker playthrough with faster loading times and because I remember shortcuts to everywhere. I also got super lucky and kept finding Mashers so my pistol spec Mordecai kinda steamrolled everything.

It was also the fastest I ever killed The Destroyer. The Hive Mind rocket launcher took it down in about 15-20 seconds and it was hilarious. It barely did any damage to me.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Elephant Ambush posted:

I honestly don't remember much about TPS. I remember the first 5 hours or so and some stuff in the middle and almost nothing near the end. I remember that most of the side quests were boring and uninteresting and I eventually just ignored them and pushed through to the end. I don't remember the final level or final boss or even the ending. I only played as Nisha and if it wasn't for the broken auto aim skill with laser weapons I may not have finished it at all.

Worst part is that I have no interest in playing it again to refresh my memory and will probably just YouTube the cutscenes.

I just finished BL1 remaster last night and it was a lot more enjoyable than I expected. There were actually things I had forgotten about. It was also a much quicker playthrough with faster loading times and because I remember shortcuts to everywhere. I also got super lucky and kept finding Mashers so my pistol spec Mordecai kinda steamrolled everything.

It was also the fastest I ever killed The Destroyer. The Hive Mind rocket launcher took it down in about 15-20 seconds and it was hilarious. It barely did any damage to me.

Don't forget the Knoxx glitch still works too! Sadly those highways still exist.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Steam says I played TPS for three hours. I kind of want to give it another shot but this thread is a great reminder of why I bounced off it so hard.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

TPS is like if you had a kid who was ginger.

You have to love it because it's part of your family - but you know deep down there's no soul there.

i suppose this is the correct thread for recycling unfunny memes from 2009

Pre-Sequel benefits a lot from a better reward structure and better class design, and it helps to have significantly much less soapy melodrama with the cast of the first BL game. It makes me wish I had those improvements in BL2. Unfortunately, BLPS is just stuffed with boring enemies in boring environments that are a pain to navigate, so any personality it has is spread thin over lots of laboriously crossing frozen wastelands and moon bases full of harmlessly underlevel enemies. I'm not sure the backtracking is to pad the game out or just because they didn't ever get a chance to fix it, though.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I still don't know what the Destroyer's attacks are even supposed to do.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 15, 2019

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Bones posted:

Captain Scarlett just barely edges out Tiny Tina's as my favorite DLC because of the sand skiffs

Fully spent 3/4 of my time trying to sideswipe my friend away from the direction he was from to go. No vehicle compares.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
TPS was such a let down because like everyone says, the classes all seemed fun and well made but everything else was just not as good as anything in the first 2 games or any of the DLC :(

Unrelated question: is it confirmed anywhere that Steele was a Siren? I know that her character model was Lilith's original design and I thought they just used it for Steele because they needed a model for her and were running out of time to get the game out. I don't remember any dialogue in any game that mentions her being a Siren but I also haven't played Tales yet.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

Unrelated question: is it confirmed anywhere that Steele was a Siren?

for what it's worth, the borderlands wiki says pitchford said she was, plus some licensed comic also mentioned it.

it's the sort of thing that will actually come up in dialogue if it's ever relevant, or just get quietly retconned if it gets in the way of something more interesting. it's not like they've felt bad about retcons in the past!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Cease to Hope posted:

for what it's worth, the borderlands wiki says pitchford said she was, plus some licensed comic also mentioned it.

it's the sort of thing that will actually come up in dialogue if it's ever relevant, or just get quietly retconned if it gets in the way of something more interesting. it's not like they've felt bad about retcons in the past!

Thanks. The only evidence in BL1 is that she clearly knows how to interact with the Vault key pieces and open the Vault. Doesn't explicitly mean she's a Siren but if she was you'd think at least one character would mention it.

Anyway yeah you're right. If the story they want to tell involves her being a Siren they'll do that.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Elephant Ambush posted:

Thanks. The only evidence in BL1 is that she clearly knows how to interact with the Vault key pieces and open the Vault. Doesn't explicitly mean she's a Siren but if she was you'd think at least one character would mention it.

Anyway yeah you're right. If the story they want to tell involves her being a Siren they'll do that.

I thought she levitated the key pieces together? I guess the key itself could have done it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I thought she levitated the key pieces together? I guess the key itself could have done it.

They never explain it in any game and I'm pretty sure nobody put a lot of thought into it.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
BL1 has a weird plot progression where the lead up to Sledge is fairly lengthy and is a Big Deal but the next few bosses after him are literally just some dudes, Mad Mel and Krom get zero build up or anything, the Rakk Hive after is just some big thing that Angel says is the hardest thing ever.

Hell, even Baron Flint who is the boss of all the bandits on Pandora doesn't really have an impact on the game.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Now that I'm into BL2 a ways I notice one factor a lot more about TPS: The enemies had very little character.

The psychos and nomads are screaming nonsensical and funny poo poo at me while I blow them away in BL2 - but I remember virtually none of that from TPS. Either that or it was so bland that I didn't even notice. Even the Bullymongs seem to have more personality than those splitting rocklizards when they pick up outrageously large objects to toss at me.

This is the one thing that striked me the most, after finishing TPS and playing BL2 next. You heard enemies in BL2, even when you don't see them. And part of the setting is in these voices. These voices are hilarious, weird and sell the setting.

In the Tiny Tina DLC, the enemies know your genre (girl /boy) they react when they are attacked by your super. The even know and recognize and say when they have you cornered in a room!! (This happened to me yesterday, and I am still amazed).

I think one of the reasons TPS had worse here is because the areas are so huge, that probably the audio is cut for these voices because the enemies are too far for you to heard. Then TPS probably have much less animations for the NPC (less actions), or it feels that way.

All in all, TPS is like a cheapo-made Borderlands of inferior quality of craftsmanship. It really helps to shine all the details in Borderlands 2 that show how much love the devs had for the game.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
All of what you said makes me feel like Borderlands 3 is gonna be more like TPS and less like Borderlands 2.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
BLPS was made relatively cheaply on an abbreviated dev cycle. I don't know how optimistic I am about BL3, but that doesn't seem to be the case there.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Pre-Sequel was made by the one developer who has ever managed to make a worse Bioshock than Ken Levine.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Tei posted:

This is the one thing that striked me the most, after finishing TPS and playing BL2 next. You heard enemies in BL2, even when you don't see them. And part of the setting is in these voices. These voices are hilarious, weird and sell the setting.

In the Tiny Tina DLC, the enemies know your genre (girl /boy) they react when they are attacked by your super. The even know and recognize and say when they have you cornered in a room!! (This happened to me yesterday, and I am still amazed).

I think one of the reasons TPS had worse here is because the areas are so huge, that probably the audio is cut for these voices because the enemies are too far for you to heard. Then TPS probably have much less animations for the NPC (less actions), or it feels that way.

All in all, TPS is like a cheapo-made Borderlands of inferior quality of craftsmanship. It really helps to shine all the details in Borderlands 2 that show how much love the devs had for the game.

The jump pad boss you fight early in TPS is the worst. I think I spent 5 minutes after his intro splash screen just trying to find him.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Yea, TPS is a bad game with a lot of cool things in it.

I am happy for playing it, mostly because the Clap Trap dlc and a few bits here and there.

Playing TPS make me realize that maybe is a good thing that Destiny never had a low gravity map. The slow movements of low gravity affect the shooter feelings.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t like how BL does dlc and wish they would just make one game with all the content.

I know it won’t happen.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

euphronius posted:

I don’t like how BL does dlc and wish they would just make one game with all the content.

I know it won’t happen.

They need time to polish and create these things. Time that they will not have before release.

And I am sure DLC's may change based on the public reception. Like some DLC can be around a popular character, the dev's can't predict what characters will be popular.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Danger - Octopus! posted:

The jump pad boss you fight early in TPS is the worst. I think I spent 5 minutes after his intro splash screen just trying to find him.

Deadlift sucks.

All future Borderlands bosses should be given the Bossanova treatment. That dude is interesting, has a great theme, a great entrance and a full rap/dubstep track. He was only in Tales act 1 but he is more memorable than any BL2/TPS bosses in my opinion.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is that community balance patch still out for BL2 or does it need to be updated because of the 4K patch? I want to play on higher difficulties without the bullet sponge enemies and broken economy.

Seriously it is frustrating going to Pre Sequel and BL2 after seeing how well the vending machines were set up in BL1. You could actually buy good weapons from a machine that could carry you for a few levels, while you pretty much only get trash in BL2 and TPS.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

Pre-Sequel was made by the one developer who has ever managed to make a worse Bioshock than Ken Levine.

2K Australia, under various names, worked on all three Bioshock games, and weren't the primary developers of any of them.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is that community balance patch still out for BL2 or does it need to be updated because of the 4K patch? I want to play on higher difficulties without the bullet sponge enemies and broken economy.

Seriously it is frustrating going to Pre Sequel and BL2 after seeing how well the vending machines were set up in BL1. You could actually buy good weapons from a machine that could carry you for a few levels, while you pretty much only get trash in BL2 and TPS.

The community patches work but you have to install them manually because the 4K patches broke the mod managers.

Also, Presequel vending machines are as good or better than the ones in the first BL. You can get legendaries or red-text uniques (which are much better than their blue rarity would imply) all the time. Fair point about BL2.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 15, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I want Steve to be a vault hunter in BL3.

Some of you guys have mentioned "saving" quests in BL2 to get higher level versions of unique weapons. How exactly does that work? Wouldnt the quest still be locked at the original difficulty level?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 15, 2019

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Arcsquad12 posted:

I want Steve to be a vault hunter in BL3.

Some of you guys have mentioned "saving" quests in BL2 to get higher level versions of unique weapons. How exactly does that work? Wouldnt the quest still be locked at the original difficulty level?

After you beat the 2nd playthrough, called TVHM, the missions reset their levels to be at par to your current level. This maxes at 50 for TVHM and 70 for UVHM. In TPS this does not apply to Claptraps DLC for :reasons:? so it starts at 41 and ends at 47? TPS is rude

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
For what its worth, any quest that you get from Moxxi or has her as a quest turn in is one you'll want to save until you finish TVHM and UVHM.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Judge Tesla posted:

For what its worth, any quest that you get from Moxxi or has her as a quest turn in is one you'll want to save until you finish TVHM and UVHM.

Both or twice? This saving missions thing is new to me. It all is. Somehow I’m just getting into this series and I haven’t found a good centralized list of all the knowledge people have accumulated over however long.

So far I’ve just been doing every mission that pops up from lowest level to highest level with story missions saved for the end of the list.

Also I’m weirdly terrified to use badass points, which is completely nonsensical.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

Man, people in BL games say "The world is a better place now that you've purged those repulsive scraps of humanity!" a lot. It's pretty uncomfortable in retrospect. (Doubly so if you pay attention to the backstory where all the psychos and raiders are former prisoner-slaves for the mining corporations.)

A friend and I are replaying TPS and now 2 and we had figured that maybe this was something they did in TPS since you're working for the villains, but 2 does it constantly too. I'm very curious to see if they can update 3's tone to match a critical environment that's less indulgent of lovely stuff like this or Tiny Tina's whole deal (since half her jokes in 2 are, haha, this little kid talks how our writers think black people talk).

Valentin fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 15, 2019

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
On PC you can honestly just use gibbed saved editor and reset the mission(s) you want anytime to skip that save mission reward nonsense. If you are on console I guess wait.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cease to Hope posted:

2K Australia, under various names, worked on all three Bioshock games, and weren't the primary developers of any of them.

Also Bioshock 2 is good, so what even the hell?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Risky Bisquick posted:

After you beat the 2nd playthrough, called TVHM, the missions reset their levels to be at par to your current level. This maxes at 50 for TVHM and 70 for UVHM. In TPS this does not apply to Claptraps DLC for :reasons:? so it starts at 41 and ends at 47? TPS is rude

So if I best TVHM then I can start another playthrough at TVHM with guns and missions all capped at 50 rather than moving onto UVHM if i don't want to?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Tei posted:

Yea, TPS is a bad game with a lot of cool things in it.
This is pretty much it. I? liked a lot of the stuff they added to TPS but I was bored most of the time also playing Aurelia whom is just ok till about 3/4ths of the way through the game by which time you have enough skills for her to turn from meh to elsa on steroids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Really? My Aurelia is about level 50 and she basically rules since level 15. She was pretty good the whole time because I chose the Frost tree first. I found her about as simple as Jack in this regard, consistently strong more or less the whole time. CL4P-TP on the other hand :sigh:

Arcsquad12 posted:

So if I best TVHM then I can start another playthrough at TVHM with guns and missions all capped at 50 rather than moving onto UVHM if i don't want to?

No you can't reset missions in TVHM, only in UVHM. So the missions left over, whether accepted or not will scale to 50 after beating TVHM. I *think* the enemies scale with you after you beat TVHM, but missions are fixed at 50. I haven't playing BL2 in 2 weeks so I am not quite sure, I have 3 chars that finished TVHM in BL2 I am procrastinating on because of TPS.