Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

Why don't we start our own petty squabbles instead? The relative positioning of hitbox and hurtbox is called priority, the lack of tripguard is called tripguard, and the new Granblue fg is going to be good. I actually believe all of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
In the year 2019 I'm still not sure what tripguard is

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here

inthesto posted:

It’s the tech Nintendo added to the newer Smash Bros. games after their characters kept accidentally falling over in Brawl

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

bad metaphors posted:

Why don't we start our own petty squabbles instead? The relative positioning of hitbox and hurtbox is called priority, the lack of tripguard is called tripguard, and the new Granblue fg is going to be good. I actually believe all of this

I want to believe in Granblue

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'm sad the MK11 thread is just people arguing about character redesigns instead of claiming netcode is a lie and chains aren't real like the old threads

I think it’s just that one guy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

All fighting games should be measured based on the quality of their finger puzzles and nothing else.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Those games actually use netkode for starters.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

What is the origin of finger puzzles

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

china

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

drat

Smoking Crow posted:

Some post in an old mk thread

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Smoking Crow posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772278&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post462857906

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3373444&pagenumber=248&perpage=40#post391136826

"I really like that the "super combos" of this game are just pulling both trigger buttons. It makes the challenge knowing when to use it, instead of knowing silly finger puzzles."

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'm sad the MK11 thread is just people arguing about character redesigns instead of claiming netcode is a lie and chains aren't real like the old threads

I've seen the netcode post(s?) that you're talking about, but whats this about chains? Please tell me it was the same guy

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

inthesto posted:

in case this isn't bait: trip guard is when a game lets you immediately block low after an empty jump (thus, guarding you from getting tripped). in games without trip guard you have to land from the jump (leaving you standing for 1f) and then crouch to block low, which means anti-air sweep is a better option than "real" anti-air buttons

if a game doesn't have trip guard, clipping somebody with an unblockable low as they jump in is called trip guard

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1117797223075434496

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

New Sonic: The FIghters confirmed?

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
How was the netcode for the mk11 beta? Are there infinite rematches in ranked or player match?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's infinite rematch and it shows you the latency in milliseconds instead of a nebulous "connection strength", and it shows whether your opponent is on Wi-Fi or a LAN connection

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love the idea that having supers on trigger buttons somehow makes them magically more useable in any scenario.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
*pushes up glasses* my most widely regarded ability in the fighting game genre is that i know ~when~ to do moves ~when~ to do Super Moves, I delve deeper than my opponent into the yomi

*mashes buttons*

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here

In Training posted:

There's infinite rematch and it shows you the latency in milliseconds instead of a nebulous "connection strength", and it shows whether your opponent is on Wi-Fi or a LAN connection

This owns. Infinite rematches are such a quality online feature, Tekken 7 spoiled me into wanting it in everything.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

In case anyone is interested Netherrealm did a talk at GDC about their transition from lockstep to rollback networking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jb0FOcImdg

Fair warning: it's a really dry talk if you don't care about the technical details of what's going on behind the scenes, but if you are interested its cool to see how much thought and effort they spent on improving their netcode.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Broken Loose posted:

trip guard is when a game lets you immediately block low after an empty jump (thus, guarding you from getting tripped). in games without trip guard you have to land from the jump (leaving you standing for 1f) and then crouch to block low, which means anti-air sweep is a better option than "real" anti-air buttons

There's no distinction between low or stand blocking from landing. In SF2, which is the game this discussion usually happens around, you can't block at all when landing from a jump. Even when used correctly, trip guard is a misnomer that came about because the most useful attacks for anti-airing in such a way were sweeps, or Trips, due to their long range and ability to go under most jump attacks. If someone was close, you were better off using a "real" anti-air since you'd likely just get hit with a jump-in trying to do an anti-air sweep.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I just saw an post on Facebook teasing a "major announcement" tomorrow with a video saying "a new challenger appears!".

https://www.facebook.com/381374931930654/posts/2320404841360977/

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Most likely some retro poo poo.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Medullah posted:

I just saw an post on Facebook teasing a "major announcement" tomorrow with a video saying "a new challenger appears!".

https://www.facebook.com/381374931930654/posts/2320404841360977/

yeah gonna nip this one in the bud right away

https://twitter.com/nintendolife/status/1117813354918219777

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Captain Baal posted:

I love the idea that having supers on trigger buttons somehow makes them magically more useable in any scenario.

It did in Fates Unlimited Codes where the button mapping options not only included stuff like A+B, but also Super 1/Super 2. And of course, the grappler character had a 720 super that could be mapped that way.

There's also the 3DS Guile thing where the touchscreen let you walk forward and endlessly throw Sonic Booms.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
you ought to be able to just treat command inputs like those as charge moves when mapped to a shortcut

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

mother loving giga wing? hells yeah

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
https://twitter.com/pattheflip/status/1117975508245815297

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
puyo

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

That's an amazing lineup actually.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
God bless anime

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i thought everyone was boycotting catherine

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Holy shiiiiit Karnov's Revenge!!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SSII but no VS...

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
famous anime Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Countblanc posted:

i thought everyone was boycotting catherine

Dacidbro quit and a lot of folks went with him, but the best player for at least the past year didn't so there's still some hardcore folks, and it's apparently starting to pick up a small scene in Japan.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

KungFu Grip posted:

famous anime Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwqKg76GJCo

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

This looked like hot garbage at first but then I got to the part where Shredder does the anime sweat drop thing over his mask and now I'm back on board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a breakdown of the Catherine thing that covers it better than a tweet of a screencap of a resetera text post from before the game came out?