Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

CelticPredator posted:

It might be high for that set that came out like 5 years ago, I haven’t seen it in awhile. But the fye steelbook is still around.

About a year ago I could have gotten it fairly cheap at an FYE going out of business sale and I regret not doing this because it's never been cheaper than it was that day.

Vagabundo posted:

If you're in a Region B territory, or have a compatible player, Second Sight did a version of it in 2014 which is still in print.

I've been promising myself I'd get a region free player for the last five or six years. I really need to just do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I just blind-bought ‘Roar’ on Blu-ray, did I make a good decision? :ohdear:

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Do you like watching people being knocked the gently caress off their feet by big cats? If so, I have good news for you.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Xenomrph posted:

Certainly a better decision than those made by anyone who worked on Roar

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Xenomrph posted:

Put on the subtitles if you want interesting descriptions every time a lion roars.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Roar is one of the most anxiety-inducing films I've ever seen and I spent the entire time screaming NO NO NO NO NO at the screen.

Five stars.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Roar is one of the most anxiety-inducing films I've ever seen and I spent the entire time screaming NO NO NO NO NO at the screen.

Five stars.

My favorite thing about it was that despite getting his loving head ripped open Jan De Bont was like "I WILL loving FINISH THIS THING.".

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Some of the poo poo they do to Melanie Griffith in that movie accidentally puts her on-par with Jackie Chan as a stunt performer.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sounds to me like I made a wise financial decision. :haw:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I bought Roar so long ago and still didn't watch it. I am so sorry.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Sounds to me like I made a wise financial decision. :haw:

Is it animal abuse if the animals are the ones mauling people?

Probably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cny_D50Rr44

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

caligulamprey posted:

Five stars.

Yeah it's honestly a horror movie.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

ruddiger posted:

Is it animal abuse if the animals are the ones mauling people?

Probably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cny_D50Rr44

I mean most of them died from diseases because Tippi Hedren and her family had no idea how to care for them.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Roar is the rare film that is worthy simply because it shows you something you cannot see anywhere else, that could not have been captured at any other moment in time. I think that's the definition of Pure Cinema, right?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Criterion’s July lineup.

Alan J. Pakula's Klute (1971)
Marcel Pagnol's The Baker's Wife (1938)
Spike Lee's Do the Right Thing (1989)
Michael Radford's 1984 (1984)
Rainer Werner Fassbinder's The BRD Trilogy (The Marriage of Maria Braun/Veronica Voss/Lola)
Agnieszka Holland's Euorpa Europa (1990)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

Criterion’s July lineup.

Spike Lee's Do the Right Thing (1989)

It's about loving time.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Getting high-quality versions of Maria Braun and Veronika Voss is great news too.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Samuel Clemens posted:

Getting high-quality versions of Maria Braun and Veronika Voss is great news too.

Yeah she's one fine piece of ace.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Vinegar Syndrome is making the May preorder package a partial mystery in the lead up to the Half-Way to Black Friday sale.

Vinegar Syndrome posted:

Important notice: this is a pre-order package. Orders containing this package will not ship out until after our Halfway to Black Friday sale (May 24th - 27th).

We are trying something different for our “Secret Pre-order” this year. Instead of a ‘flash’ pre-order, this package will be available for pre-order up until our Halfway to Black Friday sale (May 24th - 27th). What's more, by pre-ordering this package, you'll save an additional 10% when compared to orders placed during our Halfway to Black Friday sale.

If you pre-order this package, be sure to use our 'Add to my existing sale order' free shipping option during the sale so you only pay for shipping once!

This package is for all four of our May releases, including the North American Blu-ray debut of MOUNTAINTOP MOTEL MASSACRE, sporting a brand new Vinegar Syndrome restoration. The other three titles are (currently) mysteries, one of which will be revealed some time before the end of the month, with the other two being unveiled when our annual Halfway to Black Friday sale goes live (May 24th - 27th).

Of the three mysteries, we can confirm that two of them are horror films and one is not. Furthermore, none of them have ever been on Blu-ray anywhere in the world and all have been newly restored for our releases. While two of them shouldn't surprise our more adroit customers, one might come a bit out of left field, but we're fairly confident that the pedigrees of those involved will be to most everyone's satisfaction...

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Roar got mentioned a while back. The Blu-ray is currently part of the Olive Films buy one get one sale on Deep Discount. So I blind bought it along with China Gate. Last time I bought some stuff from them it was some Vestron Blu-rays, and it took a while for them to show up but the price was good.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Roar got mentioned a while back. The Blu-ray is currently part of the Olive Films buy one get one sale on Deep Discount. So I blind bought it along with China Gate. Last time I bought some stuff from them it was some Vestron Blu-rays, and it took a while for them to show up but the price was good.

I caught it on TCM Underground and once was enough, but I ended up getting One of Our Aircraft is Missing (Powell & Pressburger), two Republic serials (The Invisible Monster and Commando Cody), Dirty Work, Hope and Glory, and The Savage Innocents.

They also had the Signature Editions of the Wachowski's Bound and Max Ophuls' Letter to An Unknown Woman for only $22 each while they're way more expensive on Amazon, plus they're likely to go out of print.

While I don't have a lot of Olive releases, these are all good if they're part of the deal:
Wagon Tracks (William S. Hart silent western)
The Undesirable (early Michael Curtiz Hungarian silent)
The Captive (early Cecil B. DeMille silent)
Let There Be Light (John Huston's WWII films)
All four Betty Boop volumes (while there's no extras and no digital cleanup was applied, they're at least from 4K scans)
The Stranger (Orson Welles) - only licensed edition on Blu-ray, best quality out there

The Signature Editions of Welles' Macbeth, The Quiet Man, High Noon, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Johnny Guitar, and A New Leaf are all excellent.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Are there any good Canadian websites for buying blu rays? Shipping and the exchange rate makes buying from most boutique labels way too expensive.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Good news for our collections, and bad news for our bank accounts! Arrow is doing an Easter sale!

https://twitter.com/ArrowFilmsVideo/status/1118477118856421377

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Highlights of Kino's May/June/July/future releases:

May 7:
Broken Flowers (Jim Jarmusch)
Kind Hearts and Coronets (Ealing)
The Man in the White Suit (Ealing)
The Lavender Hill Mob (Ealing)

May 14:
The Landlord (Hal Ashby)

May 21:
Nixon (3-disc SE with theatrical and director's cuts)
The Image Book (Godard)

May 28:
The Nun (Rivette)

June 4:
Lost Highway (with commentary by Tim Lucas, one-long interview with David Lynch, booklet essay, and the trailer)
Thirst (Chan Wook Park)

June 11:
They Might Be Giants

June 18:
First Name: Carmen (Godard)
Detective (Godard)
Helas Por Moi (Godard)

July 2:
Bob le Flambeur (Jean-Pierre Melville)
Le Doulos (Melville)
Leon Morin, Priest (Melville)

July 9:
Alphaville (Godard)
The Annihilators
The Champagne Murders
Dead of Night
Peter Pan (1924)

July 16:
Attack of the Robots
Jefferson in Paris

July 23:
Death in the Garden (Luis Bunuel)
Death Takes a Holiday
The Milky Way (Luis Bunuel)
Sweet Charity (Bob Fosse's debut feature, new 4K restoration)

August 6:
Brick

September 17:
Gone to Earth/The Wild Heart (Powell & Pressburger - new 4K/2K restorations of both the UK and US cuts)

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 18, 2019

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Nixon is a hell of a watch nowadays

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’m watching Roar, these subtitles are great.

(Uplifting music)

(Roaring)

(Chase music)

Edit— that’s a lot of goddamn lions in one house.

This movie owns and I’m only like 8 minutes in

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 18, 2019

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Vagabundo posted:

Good news for our collections, and bad news for our bank accounts! Arrow is doing an Easter sale!

Grabbed two more Argento titles (Inferno and Phenomena) as well as The Human Condition trilogy.

If anyone's been looking, Network appears to be in stock there after being out-of-stock literally everywhere else I've tried looking. Nixed it for The Human Condition set though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

Was going to sit this out, but had to bite since I had rewards points to use (much to my surprise).

Went with all dual region releases this time - Gosford Park, 12 Monkeys, The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (haven't seen any Argento besides Suspiria), The Apartment, Schlock, and Mohsen Makhmalbaf: The Poetic Trilogy. I'll blame Criterion Now's recent podcast on Arrow's 2018 releases - The Poetic Trilogy seems interesting.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Egbert Souse posted:

(haven't seen any Argento besides Suspiria)

Tenebrae Tenebrae Tenebrae buy and watch Tenebrae

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

Nixon is a hell of a watch nowadays

It really is. Definitely Stone’s best work, too.

Egbert Souse posted:

The Image Book (Godard)

I saw this in the theater and I have never seen so many people walk out of a movie in my life; I saw 8 people leave, and I heard more people leaving the seats behind me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I, Butthole posted:

Tenebrae Tenebrae Tenebrae buy and watch Tenebrae

I love Tenebrae too. Haven’t seen a huge amount of his stuff, but that one gripped me more than say Deep Red (which is still cool!).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Phenomena and Opera are the unsung heroes of Argento's filmography

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is Tenebrae dual region? Blu-ray.com has the newest release listed as untested, and the older one with the same cover listed as B-locked.

Also, I wonder how Kino's Thirst release will compare to the 2009 or 2010 Korean CJ release. It's a great disc but it's almost a decade old now, I wonder if it's getting a new scan.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

If you're going to buy Tenebrae, buy Synapse's version:

https://www.amazon.com/Tenebrae-Blu...ovies-tv&sr=1-1

It's the best looking version out there.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Xenomrph posted:

I’m watching Roar, these subtitles are great.

(Uplifting music)

(Roaring)

(Chase music)

Edit— that’s a lot of goddamn lions in one house.

This movie owns and I’m only like 8 minutes in

Just wait one of my favorite subtitles of all time is at the end.

Putting it in spoilers:

(roars a tiny Roar)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

RichterIX posted:

Is Tenebrae dual region? Blu-ray.com has the newest release listed as untested, and the older one with the same cover listed as B-locked.

Also, I wonder how Kino's Thirst release will compare to the 2009 or 2010 Korean CJ release. It's a great disc but it's almost a decade old now, I wonder if it's getting a new scan.

IMDB says it had a 2K DI, so it should be fine.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I poked around a little bit and it looks like Kino wasn't able to get the director's cut of Thirst. I can't remember if the extra stuff is a positive or a negative since the movie's already pretty long, but the Korean CJE release is one of my favorite imports since it's pretty hard to find now. I think I might have only ever seen the director's cut.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

RichterIX posted:

I poked around a little bit and it looks like Kino wasn't able to get the director's cut of Thirst. I can't remember if the extra stuff is a positive or a negative since the movie's already pretty long, but the Korean CJE release is one of my favorite imports since it's pretty hard to find now. I think I might have only ever seen the director's cut.

I didn't know there were different cuts of the movie. Is the director's cut different from the US theatrical release?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Phenomena and Opera are the unsung heroes of Argento's filmography

I think I've mentioned this before, but I really don't get Giallo. I've seen the genre standards like Phenomena (although I may have watched the wrong version) and Suspiria, and I've really made an effort but I just can't engage with it. It's like when I attempted to watch Arrival. I felt like a real dummy because I just couldn't engage with it and kept getting really restless watching it. I'm not saying they're "bad movies," I just can't get into them at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Opera might be the most visually stunning movie Argento ever made. I don't remember a drat thing about the plot, but I sure do remember the camerawork.