Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Lomachenko is beast mode tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hrollins
May 20, 2003
Radio Friendly Unit Shifter
Yeah, I’m not going to be upset if Crolla doesn’t come back out after that. Jesus.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Hahaha holy gently caress

hrollins
May 20, 2003
Radio Friendly Unit Shifter

sportsgenius86 posted:

Hahaha holy gently caress

Yeah that was unnecessary. Thanks for that, ref.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
What a highlight KO

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I can see the standing count in the 3rd because it's a championship fight, but I dunno why he started counting when Crolla faceplanted. Guys don't normally get up from that.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Vengarr posted:

I can see the standing count in the 3rd because it's a championship fight, but I dunno why he started counting when Crolla faceplanted. Guys don't normally get up from that.

If he was competent he would’ve stopped it on the ropes the first time. That flurry against the ropes was so obviously the end of the fight.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

That KO was freaky. Loma's got cement hands.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Who's gonna beat him? Seems to me this Lomachenko would destroy Mikey.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Teofimo is going to knock Loma out and then do The Carlton over his limp body

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Loma is the real deal, what a fun fighter to watch.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

Who's gonna beat him? Seems to me this Lomachenko would destroy Mikey.

Probably a lucky shot from a heavyweight. Otherwise :shrug:

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

not sure if this is the right thread, but I'm looking for a book or video that collects peculiar/notworthy fighting techniques from various fighters over the ages. maybe one fighter was famous for a specific defensive technique, another for the way he threw the hook... does something like that exist? I'd be curious.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

That KO was freaky. Loma's got cement hands.

No wonder crolla went down so quickly then

Or is that :thejoke:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

That’s the joke yea

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

mike12345 posted:

not sure if this is the right thread, but I'm looking for a book or video that collects peculiar/notworthy fighting techniques from various fighters over the ages. maybe one fighter was famous for a specific defensive technique, another for the way he threw the hook... does something like that exist? I'd be curious.

Sorry man don't know any personally, but all these looked good:

Probably the least helpful: Boxing Basics: The Techniques and Knowledge Needed to Excel in the Sport of Boxing

https://www.amazon.com/Boxing-Basic...WXZ00SNXK4XV8C6

Something probably a bit closer and very specific: Power of the Pros: Striking Techniques of The Greatest, Explained

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Pros-S...1D1ACN1DVF5NGRD

The next two are more historical collections of amazing fights that will feature all the sick and noteworthy fights: Tales from the Vault: A Celebration of 100 Boxing Closet Classics & AN Illustrated History Of Boxing

https://www.amazon.com/Tales-Vault-...SEAH24VTK0JPEN2

https://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-History-Boxing-Nat-Fleischer/dp/0806522011

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Hogan got robbed by Munguia in Mexico, he lost at least 7 rounds and was eating overhead rights for fun. His defence is so poor that he'll get knocked out by anyone his own size.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Marching Powder posted:

Sorry man don't know any personally, but all these looked good:

Probably the least helpful: Boxing Basics: The Techniques and Knowledge Needed to Excel in the Sport of Boxing

https://www.amazon.com/Boxing-Basic...WXZ00SNXK4XV8C6

Something probably a bit closer and very specific: Power of the Pros: Striking Techniques of The Greatest, Explained

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Pros-S...1D1ACN1DVF5NGRD

The next two are more historical collections of amazing fights that will feature all the sick and noteworthy fights: Tales from the Vault: A Celebration of 100 Boxing Closet Classics & AN Illustrated History Of Boxing

https://www.amazon.com/Tales-Vault-...SEAH24VTK0JPEN2

https://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-History-Boxing-Nat-Fleischer/dp/0806522011

ah thanks for that list. power of the pros looks like more or less what I'm looking for, will check that out.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

mike12345 posted:

jack dempsey has a book about fighting dirty iirc

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
So with the big victory over Hammer is it time to start giving Claressa Shields p4p consideration?

I say yes, probably not top 10 yet but backend of the top 20 feels right

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Top P4P spot on the women's list for sure. Her and Braekhus are miles ahead of the rest.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Top P4P spot on the women's list for sure. Her and Braekhus are miles ahead of the rest.

They're certainly there with Katie Taylor -though Braekhus is getting up there in age and I think if she were to try and meet Shields at 154 it would be a bad idea- but basically I was wondering if we are at or close to the point where there is someone like Amanda Nunes who is (as far as I can tell) in the top 10 of most mma p4p lists.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 15, 2019

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Tbh I'm not a fan of Katie Taylor for some reason.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Golovkin just got booked against Canada's 4th best middleweight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Golovkin just got booked against Canada's 4th best middleweight.

He had a great loving career and will go down as one of the best and most dangerous middleweights ever. Happy to see him getting some low risk high reward wins in before he's gone, sad that he'll never fight anyone of actual substance again.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://twitter.com/DAZN_USA/status/1118262938513616897?s=19

Anyone vs rolls sounds like the title of a weight loss vlog

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Just sampling the reaction from social media and good lord people are losing their loving minds over this fight. Honestly at this stage in their career i think there is more a chance for Rolls to give Golovkin rounds than than that Kamil dude who was first being floated and probably do better than Brandon Adams and Hassan N'Dam. Is it just cause Rolls is an unknown with a kind of goofy name?

Edit: https://twitter.com/VinceCummings81/status/1118283348521160710?s=19

Basically this is my take minus the "bad taste" part.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 17, 2019

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Golovkin is fun to see in competitive fights and this looks like its just some random guy, so it sucks to see him do that instead of fighting Andrade or something more interesting. But I understand he's just biding his time to fight Canelo or Jacobs

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

there's no way he'd fight canelo again now that he's even slower and more diminished and even if he kicks his rear end again he'll lose.

from my perspective the second fight was even more clearly for golovkin than the first (media outlets 10 ggg, 8 draw, 1 canelo for the second fight) and the scorecards were worse. he cannot get a fair fight anywhere in the americas.

he could still convincingly bash just about anyone else and convincingly beat the small remainder so i'm fine with him gravy training out.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

basically just doing what fedor did but instead of being in his prime he's in the twilight years of his career. this is boxing's fedor / brett rogers.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Marching Powder posted:

basically just doing what fedor did but instead of being in his prime he's in the twilight years of his career. this is boxing's fedor / brett rogers.

gently caress, man, let's hope not :stonklol: I mean, considering the full context of both fighters' lives.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Inexplicably bad fight for GGG. I'm a Canadian boxing fan who pays attention and I've never even heard of Rolls. Based on his record he appears to be a C level fighter, at best. Maybe nothing more than a D level/glorified club fighter type of guy. Guys like N'dam, Maciej Sulecki, Ryota Murata, Jack Culcay, etc. would all have been acceptable step down/stay busy level fights. Ideally GGG fights Sergei Derevyanchenko or Rob Brant or something. Rolls is basically a Peter McNeeley level opponent. Total waste of time.

And lol @ the IBF for having Rolls ranked 9th in the world at middleweight (ahead of GGG!).

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
For what it's worth I'm coming from a place of lowered expectations so a lot of the people bitching I'm seeing mainly on social media seems to be trolls dead set on trashing the next GGG fight unless he fought Andrade and Callum Smith in a handicap match.

Or maybe Golovkin can just swerve us and he's actually going to fight AJ

https://twitter.com/danrafaelespn/status/1118322235331231744

https://twitter.com/EddieHearn/status/1118335778780844034

EDIT: Obligatory "how you gonna be a fat slob like Big Baby Miller and still use PEDs"

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 17, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Jesus that's the drug they abandoned testing on rats because it gave them cancer everywhere at once

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Jose posted:

Jesus that's the drug they abandoned testing on rats because it gave them cancer everywhere at once

There's less insane ways to get out of getting murdered by Joshua that's for sure.

Lol.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Jose posted:

Yeah WADA put out press releases when it started appearing on the black market pleading with people not to take it.

Who steps in for miller then?

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
I'd imagine the three fight plan on DAZN for GGG is walkover fight > Sulecki/Andrade winner > Canelo rematch. It was always going to be a poo poo fight but they should have at least got a name people have heard of. Maybe the likes of N'Dam turned it down, there are no belts on the line anymore so it's a harder sell.

Kownacki or Michael Hunter probably replaces Large Infant, what a wasteman.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I didn't really expect GGG to take anything tougher than a tune up for his next fight. He's promised a big rematch in September, it really doesn't matter who he fights in June.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

now Miller's been denied a NYSAC license, meaning he's just hosed himself out of a retirement-level payday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
So does Joshua find a scrub to beat down?