Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm worried this character doesn't have enough oomph for Zot: https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/Arivia/Arivia.txt

My crate was Punk, but I switched it out for the +9 flaming fustibalus which seems to be doing better. I'm mostly worrying about standing up to OoFs. I still have Elf and Crypt to clear, I guess I can do that and hope I find a better melee weapon or something? Ignite blood is a lot of fun for cutting through trash though. Firebombed V:5 and just stood there in the flames machine gunning poo poo until enough found me by GONG. I guess Gooncrawl doesn't have cMut back so I should carry some regular mutation potions with me into Zot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

TastyLemonDrops posted:

The crate's locking mechanism finally gives in... Revealing the +2 robe of Vines {NoDeviceHeal Regen+7}!

Man, what a thoroughly unimpressive crate.

I take it back. I am healtanking a ridiculous amount, though I imagine heavier armor would do the same with not making me take damage.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lean into casting as hard as you can imo

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Arivia posted:

I'm worried this character doesn't have enough oomph for Zot: https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/Arivia/Arivia.txt

My crate was Punk, but I switched it out for the +9 flaming fustibalus which seems to be doing better. I'm mostly worrying about standing up to OoFs. I still have Elf and Crypt to clear, I guess I can do that and hope I find a better melee weapon or something? Ignite blood is a lot of fun for cutting through trash though. Firebombed V:5 and just stood there in the flames machine gunning poo poo until enough found me by GONG. I guess Gooncrawl doesn't have cMut back so I should carry some regular mutation potions with me into Zot?

Demon trident you have is a fine weapon to have combined with Finesse and Heroism. And just remember it's only the brand on your fustibalus that doesn't trigger on resistant enemies; everything else about that weapon still applies to OoFs. It will be enough, especially combined with your Cloak of +5 Slay and gloves of Archery. Throw on a potion of resistance just in case to see how you fare against the first one you encounter but I'm betting you won't see much difficulty.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Scaramouche posted:

Another CTD, something to do with a tile IDX out of range, possibly after some kind of effect being applied by Mara. I'm not sure because the file it says the assert happened in I can't find, possibly because it's an interim build file(?):
code:
ERROR in 'rltiles/tiledef-player.cc' at line 17882: ASSERT failed: idx of 12 out of range TILE_MAIN_MAX (1347) .. TILEP_PLAYER_MAX (4317)
I think it's tied to Mara because these are the last lines:
code:
Mara blinks!
Mara shimmers.
Mara shimmers and seems to become three!
Mara gestures at you.
The bolt of fire misses you.
Mara gestures.
There is a horrible, sudden wrenching feeling in your soul!
I wonder if this is because the character is a Lava Orc Archaeologist, and the Summon Player Ghost routine doesn't have a tile for that specific class/race?

Version info etc:
code:
Version: Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup v1.0-591-gc2b61f1933
Platform: Windows
Bits: 64
Game mode: normal
Tiles: yes

I unfortunately can't provide more crash reports because I went back in and murderholed him, but I will add that Mara did cast the Player Ghost spell again, but it didn't crash again either because my theory is totally wrong, or the crash only occurs if I have the offending tile in LoS, which I obviously didn't because murderhole.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

Use Punk to soften up anything thats not rCorr, it will make the flaming one hit harder. Zot you want restore abilities potions. Shield of the Gong will help avoid any surprises in Zot 5 although you might want to hang close to the exit and have a nice path to the stairs that has some breaks in LOS. Ignite will take care of a lot of issues and you have torment resistance so just keep herosim up and use finesse + dtrident, do you not have any potions of might? That can make it hard but you have 8 resistance pots so just make sure you have a few restore abilities and you should be fine.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Araganzar posted:

Use Punk to soften up anything thats not rCorr, it will make the flaming one hit harder. Zot you want restore abilities potions. Shield of the Gong will help avoid any surprises in Zot 5 although you might want to hang close to the exit and have a nice path to the stairs that has some breaks in LOS. Ignite will take care of a lot of issues and you have torment resistance so just keep herosim up and use finesse + dtrident, do you not have any potions of might? That can make it hard but you have 8 resistance pots so just make sure you have a few restore abilities and you should be fine.

I have might, I just usually don’t carry it on me. It’s in my stash on Lair 2 because habits. Thank you everyone!

Oh and the poster who told me about * you’re correct and the best.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

fell down a shaft into this

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
update: i died

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

cheetah7071 posted:

crawl.txt

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

cheetah7071 posted:

FR: falling down a shaft (not deliberate formicid shafting though) into a room should hard-confuse all the monsters in it (or at least put some roll on it happening for each of them)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Teal posted:

FR: falling down a shaft (not deliberate formicid shafting though) into a room should hard-confuse all the monsters in it (or at least put some roll on it happening for each of them)
I like this. I was just thinking about how there's really no counterplay to getting shafted and that would at least give you a turn or two to GTFO. Hard confusing every monster within a certain radius would at least give you a chance to read tele or dig a murderhole or quaff invis or something

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Teal posted:

This can happen just going down stairs too though. You can always fall or climb down into an unwinnable situation.

Here is me entering D2 as an XL2 skeleton with 3 AC and 14 HP:

I thought you used to always get a turn on first entry to leave but maybe I'm thinking of another game. I guess the question is do we want to remove unavoidable (or mathematically extremely likely) deaths as a consequence of RNG with monster placement? Getting shafted is worse but I'm still 99.999% guaranteed dead here.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

quote:

This can happen just going down stairs too though. You can always fall or climb down into an unwinnable situation.
You can walk back up stairs. You can't walk back up a shaft that arbitrarily drops you down three dungeons levels with no warning and no recourse.

It Traps'n'Doors still existed, I might say "sucks for you for not investing into trap detection," but it doesn't, sooo I can kind of see how people would complain that no single trap should ever be able to kill you, even incidentally.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 15, 2019

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Also the idea of a bunch of monsters being confused because some rear end in a top hat adventurer just literally crashed their kegger is hilarious.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Araganzar posted:

I thought you used to always get a turn on first entry to leave but maybe I'm thinking of another game.
IIRC, your first time going down into a floor you have a single turn to get back up. If you go back down or go down a different staircase, you're SOL.

Cardiovorax posted:

If Traps'n'Doors still existed, I might say "sucks for you for not investing into trap detection," but it doesn't, sooo I can kind of see how people would complain that no single trap should ever be able to kill you, even incidentally.
:yeah:

Please don't bring back Traps and Doors.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Also the idea of a bunch of monsters being confused because some rear end in a top hat adventurer just literally crashed their kegger is hilarious.
:yeah:

Edit:
code:
D - the +18 crystal plate armor "Vioffu" {rF+++ Int-2 Dex-5 Stlth+}
Well, so much for hybridizing on this run. :stonklol:

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

IIRC, your first time going down into a floor you have a single turn to get back up. If you go back down or go down a different staircase, you're SOL.

I believe you just get to take an action before the enemy the first time you enter a floor, to prevent you being blasted to 0 from walking down the stairs. The enemy can still follow you upstairs.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Okay, need some feedback again. Here's where I'm at after clearing Elf, Crypt, and Zot: https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/Arivia/Arivia.txt

I'm wondering if I should poke my head into extended with this character. I feel pretty beefy (OoFs have not been a problem, ancient liches sometimes land spells that hurt), and I'm thinking this might be a good opportunity to get my feet wet in extended by doing maybe Abyss or Tomb or something?

e: And if I do extended I'm not sure if I should hybridize. I'm guessing I should go dig a murderhole somewhere and switch from Oka to Makhleb, though.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 15, 2019

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Arivia posted:

Okay, need some feedback again. Here's where I'm at after clearing Elf, Crypt, and Zot: https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/Arivia/Arivia.txt

I'm wondering if I should poke my head into extended with this character. I feel pretty beefy (OoFs have not been a problem, ancient liches sometimes land spells that hurt), and I'm thinking this might be a good opportunity to get my feet wet in extended by doing maybe Abyss or Tomb or something?

e: And if I do extended I'm not sure if I should hybridize. I'm guessing I should go dig a murderhole somewhere and switch from Oka to Makhleb, though.

Do slime

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Cardiovorax posted:

You can walk back up stairs. You can't walk back up a shaft that arbitrarily drops you down three dungeons levels with no warning and no recourse.

So what, shafting is arbitary but not stairs because I had the option to never take a stairs, stay on D1 until my food ran out, and then leave the dungeon?

Being able to walk back upstairs doesn't change being instantly and unavoidably placed within melee range of 3 gnolls. That seems similarly arbitrary and bereft of either warning or recourse.

If your argument is that shafting is worse, I already said "Getting shafted is worse"...

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Arivia posted:

You have extended-quality gear right there.

I'd go Slime -> Abyss -> Pan -> Hell -> Tomb -> Zig (if you're feeling ballsy), in that order.

As far as hybridization goes, I'd start with getting your permabuffs on: Song of Slaying, Regeneration, Repel/Deflect Missiles.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

quote:

So what, shafting is arbitary but not stairs because I had the option to never take a stairs, stay on D1 until my food ran out, and then leave the dungeon?
Uh, well, yeah, kinda? When I walk downstairs, I do so knowing that there are probaby 3~4 downstairs on the entire level. Whatever I see there the first time I go down, I know I'm probably not stuck with it, can walk back up, and find a tactically better position for myself.

Shafts can hit you with anything from 1-3 (or more?) levels of straight additional difficulty, and since they offer no way of returning to where you came from, they're pretty inescapable unless you just don't make the mistake of ever using them in the first place.

Since they count as traps in the latest version, you can literally just be hit by shafting (lol) at the will of the RNG, which is kind of super lovely. If you don't think I disagree with you then so much the better, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to explain why shafts are kind of a bad thing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

redneck nazgul posted:

You have extended-quality gear right there.

I'd go Slime -> Abyss -> Pan -> Hell -> Tomb -> Zig (if you're feeling ballsy), in that order.

As far as hybridization goes, I'd start with getting your permabuffs on: Song of Slaying, Regeneration, Repel/Deflect Missiles.

Okay, so what's the order of priorities?

Get out of Zot, then switch to Makhleb, and work on invocations/the spellcasting/spell schools for permabuffs? Then do Slime after the wrath has timed out?

e: Do I wait out wrath, or do I have to clear out poo poo to get it to time out?

Arivia fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 15, 2019

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Cardiovorax posted:

If you don't think I disagree with you then so much the better, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to explain why shafts are kind of a bad thing.

My point is you'll be shafted once, maybe twice in a 3-5 rune game. You'll take 45-50 stairs to unknown territory. Even if being shafted is ten times worse than taking stairs you'll still wind up dead five times as often from stairs. Seeing as how players don't value being just plain dead over being super duper dead, stairs remain the greater existential threat.

Shafts are also technically avoidable. Old console players used to only move over spaces they had seen a monster move over when possible. This avoided the majority of shafts. You can't do that with stairs.

I'm not advising playing like that so I think the confusion on shafting is a good fix. It's a buff to an already strong race so maybe Formicids shouldn't get it when they shaft.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Arivia posted:

Okay, so what's the order of priorities?

Get out of Zot, then switch to Makhleb, and work on invocations/the spellcasting/spell schools for permabuffs? Then do Slime after the wrath has timed out?

e: Do I wait out wrath, or do I have to clear out poo poo to get it to time out?

Do Slime with Okawaru, use Abyss/Pan to get Makhleb's piety up since infinite spawns = infinite piety.

You could also go Gozag and use Abyss/Pan/Hell as an infinite money generator for all the consumables.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Araganzar posted:

It's a buff to an already strong race so maybe Formicids shouldn't get it when they shaft.
Maybe it can only happen if you fall down more than one level, regardless of source? Or just make it not happen on formy shaft, but formy only ever shaft one level. Shafting down 3 floors with a race that can't read tele or blink suuuuucks. And this is coming from someone who dearly loves formicids almost as much as she loves barachi.

Edit: Falling down three floors on a deliberate shaft doesn't even make sense in fiction. "Oops I accidentally dug down three times as far as I meant to."

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 15, 2019

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

Maybe it can only happen if you fall down more than one level, regardless of source? Or just make it not happen on formy shaft, but formy only ever shaft one level. Shafting down 3 floors with a race that can't read tele or blink suuuuucks. And this is coming from someone who dearly loves formicids almost as much as she loves barachi.

Edit: Falling down three floors on a deliberate shaft doesn't even make sense in fiction. "Oops I accidentally dug down three times as far as I meant to."

it's like when you dig around and accidentally hit a vault, but floors :v:

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
My latest Gnoll Archeologist got carried all the way through most of Dungeon, all of Lair and Ork Mines by a +2 Lightning Whip and some insane loving +9 ench ring mail with +3 Str, permanent RMSL and casting Mephitic Cloud farts on anything that looked at me funny while I proudly stood in my farts laughing, thanks to fart huffing power of Ashenzari

then my crate revealed this loving thing http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Bloodbane (again, I had loving CLARITY, WHAT LUCK IS THAT?)

and basically as soon as I stepped into Spider Nest I got shanked to death by http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Agnes wielding a lajatang of speed :smithicide:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Araganzar posted:

My point is you'll be shafted once, maybe twice in a 3-5 rune game. You'll take 45-50 stairs to unknown territory. Even if being shafted is ten times worse than taking stairs you'll still wind up dead five times as often from stairs. Seeing as how players don't value being just plain dead over being super duper dead, stairs remain the greater existential threat.
This seems like weird math and not really how it works in practice. The thing is simply that a lot of situations that a shaft dumps you into wouldn't actually be a problem if you ran into them from a stair. The vast majority aren't actually unsurvivable, and the vast majority of even those aren't instant kills on turn one. The difference is simply that stairs always come with the built-in escape option of simply going back up, while shafts don't. That makes them intrinsically less lethal even if everything else about the situation were to be equal.

I mean, just as an example, absolutely nothing about the above screenshot would've been that dangerous if not for the fact that cheetah got dumped in the far corner of a room with no easy way out. Especially on low levels, that's just disproportionately lethal. It's why Formicid shafting is an escape option, not a mobility option. The situation it dumps you into can always be worse, which doesn't matter if and only if you were about to die anyway.

quote:

Shafts are also technically avoidable. Old console players used to only move over spaces they had seen a monster move over when possible. This avoided the majority of shafts. You can't do that with stairs.
"Technically avoidable" and "who actually wants to have to play the game that way" are a world of a difference apart from each other, though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TOM doesn't need to worry about shafts. :smugbert:

Edit: Ag, I think the problem here is that you're coming at this from the perspective of someone really good at Crawl, and not the rest of us who may never reach that level of skill.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Shafts are super fun and some of the most tense moments are escaping from a shaft on D:6 or whatever. Nothing makes me feel more attached to a crawl character than surviving an early shaft. They rule.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

:toot:
code:
1720541 hooplah the Crack Shot (level 27, 308/308 HPs)
             Began as a Demonspawn Archaeologist on Apr 13, 2019.
             Was an Initiate of Gozag.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on Apr 15, 2019!

The game lasted 07:16:57 (70129 turns).

hooplah the Crack Shot (Demonspawn Archaeologist)  Turns: 70129, Time: 07:16:57

Health: 308/308    AC: 36    Str: 20    XL:     27
Magic:  26/26      EV: 14    Int: 14    God:    Gozag
Gold:   2185       SH:  0    Dex: 20    Spells: 24/37 levels left

rFire    + + .     SeeInvis +   b - +8 longbow "Zephyr" {speed, Dex+3 SInv}
rCold    + + .     Gourm    .   (shield currently unavailable)
rNeg     + . .     Faith    .   X - +8 chain mail of the Lotus Blossom {rN+ rCorr}
rPois    .         Spirit   +   (helmet unavailable)
rElec    +         Reflect  .   k - +1 cloak of Starlight {rElec rC+ EV+4 Stlth--}
rCorr    +         Harm     .   Q - +1 pair of gloves of Rotation {rF++}
MR       ++...                  B - +0 pair of boots {Stlth+}
Stlth    ..........             r - amulet of regeneration
HPRegen  2.01/turn              I - ring of the Turtledove {rElec AC+3 Slay+2}
MPRegen  0.40/turn              p - ring of Anisk {rC+ Str+2 Int-3 Slay+6}

@: silence, gold aura, regenerating, repel missiles
A: antennae 3, rugged brown scales 3, robust 3, spiny 3, magic shield, magic
regeneration, magic link
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: barnacled, silver, gossamer
a: Release Permanent Buffs, Renounce Religion
Turns out having over 300 hp and a longbow of speed makes a 3-rune pretty drat easy

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Shafts are super fun and some of the most tense moments are escaping from a shaft on D:6 or whatever. Nothing makes me feel more attached to a crawl character than surviving an early shaft. They rule.
Yeah, they're kind of like getting abyssed that way. Not something you ever want to happen to you, but when you make it through the portal out on your last five HP while going "holyshitholyshitholyshit" to yourself, it's memorable in a way almost nothing else about a typical playthrough ever is.

VVVV :rolleyes:

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 15, 2019

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Appreciate the information on how things really work in practice in this game!

Speaking of being shafted, I have a Gnoll with 4 runes ready for Zot and here is the rn+ I have in the entire game:
pre:
 a - [Lair:4] the +9 falchion of the Moth {holy, *Slow rN+++ Int+3}
 b - [Orc:2] a +1 leather armour of positive energy (154 gold)
 c - [Vaults:5] the amulet of Foolhardiness {Faith +Inv rN+ Str-5}
I have 49/33/19 defenses with heroism, boots of the assassin, and a +11 broad axe of speed, should I give up regen and 5 str for Faith and rN+ or do I just go with my balls out and fully exposed to the dangers of torment? Or I'm a gnoll, I could use statue form and I'd still be hitting 3 times a turn with finesse. OR both?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Araganzar posted:

I have 49/33/19 defenses with heroism, boots of the assassin, and a +11 broad axe of speed, should I give up regen and 5 str for Faith and rN+ or do I just go with my balls out and fully exposed to the dangers of torment? Or I'm a gnoll, I could use statue form and I'd still be hitting 3 times a turn with finesse. OR both?
My gut says statue form because permabuffs, but the amulet might not hurt if you're using a god whose abilities cost piety.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Alright, where am I going next? This is another character where I could loving walk through Zot, but +18 CPA kind of demands that I do something more than just 5-rune.

Edit: I love my gong, but there's also a +4 flaming Exe Axe somewhere that I could throw on and do some buzzsawing with if the Gong effect would just be too much in Hell.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 15, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arivia posted:

Did Slime with little issue, now cutting through Abyss. Is Oka’s wrath really short or does it go away in Abyss for some reason?

Also I found the warlock’s mirror in the Slime rune vault. Is it worth switching to that over the gong?

E: my dump got automagically updated, that’s neat!

Arivia fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 15, 2019

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

Alright, where am I going next? This is another character where I could loving walk through Zot, but +18 CPA kind of demands that I do something more than just 5-rune.

Edit: I love my gong, but there's also a +4 flaming Exe Axe somewhere that I could throw on and do some buzzsawing with if the Gong effect would just be too much in Hell.

Flaming is not the best rune in Extended - holy then freezing are probably best. I would probably run Pan, try to even out your gear a little, either get into a large shield or exec axe whichever presents itself. Maybe run a few zig levels, you could use better hat, cloak, boots, amulet to make up for what you lose with taking off gong. Gong really isn't horrible with torment resist but without it Pan and Hell levels are bad because they tend to be pretty sprawling and wide open. If you have a few restore ability potions there's nothing stopping you from doing Tomb either.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Arivia posted:

Did Slime with little issue, now cutting through Abyss. Is Oka’s wrath really short or does it go away in Abyss for some reason?
Oka wrath summons monsters and the Abyss shifts around a lot, so the sheer chance to lose them (possibly without ever even seeing them) makes it surprisingly safe in that regard.

Comparatively speaking, anyway. When in doubt, you can check your message log, but I'm guessing you simply left them behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Do skills with aptitude -2 and worse not get selected for archaeologist? Im definitely getting a larger spread of skills after swapping to demonzpawn from skeleton.