Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Popete posted:

I'm pretty hype for UBOAT after watching some recent gameplay videos. It still looks a little rough around the edges

What did you expect from a casual game? It's not like this game is simulating U-Boat warfare at all, it's just candy-crush with a lick of u-boat grey paint and the cooks' blood in the corner of the galley.

Real U-boat nuts will disregard this game purely because the provisions officer looks like a pirate popeye kinda guy, and you can pickup sauerkraut from the boxes of the freighters you have sunk with you 20mm AA gun. Brilliant.

This game / simulation of uboot warfare will ONLY apply to casual gamers, people who are interested in end-round attacks, relative bearings, plotting and not running around the u-boat like a headless chicken need not apply, after all the consensus is that there is no place for sub-nuts here only Legends and World of warships warriors are permitted to their casual candy crush simulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You piece of poo poo you think I make these games for fun and enjoyment? I make them because my family needs food on the table and I have no time for your dicking around telling me, ME about how I should run my business. Do you have a degree in running a god drat successful business? I didn't think so! I've done the market research, I've verified the studies, and there's absolutely no benefit to moving to a platform designed to suck money away from me and MY company. If you don't agree with how this thread's going to be run, then good riddance, people of higher posting calibre will fill your role any day of the week.

This is rich, coming from the devs too SCARED to put historically accurate swatiskas in their game.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

AceRimmer posted:

Is it still playable on modern hardware and worth checking out?

Battlefront released a patch to make CM: Afrika Corps playable on modern systems, but because it's Battlefront they charged like $5-10 for it.

Although I don't know if it's even available. Checking their site it looks scrubbed of all games not modern Combat Mission.

Also Googling Afrika Corps is available on Gamergate for like $30, but I think it's the version without the patch for modern systems.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What did you expect from a casual game? It's not like this game is simulating U-Boat warfare at all, it's just candy-crush with a lick of u-boat grey paint and the cooks' blood in the corner of the galley.

Real U-boat nuts will disregard this game purely because the provisions officer looks like a pirate popeye kinda guy, and you can pickup sauerkraut from the boxes of the freighters you have sunk with you 20mm AA gun. Brilliant.

This game / simulation of uboot warfare will ONLY apply to casual gamers, people who are interested in end-round attacks, relative bearings, plotting and not running around the u-boat like a headless chicken need not apply, after all the consensus is that there is no place for sub-nuts here only Legends and World of warships warriors are permitted to their casual candy crush simulator.

The irony posting is reaching such a peak I can't even tell anymore.

Is uboat good or not?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Nobody knows. Looks promising and I'm going to try it out.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for reminding me of Barbarossa to Berlin, I still have it on a cd somewhere. I'm probably old enough to actually play it properly now.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

source your quotes

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Stairmaster posted:

source your quotes

I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but he did. The period at the end is the link to the Steam forum thread its from.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Yeah i'm going to buy from battlefront because I like their badly coded games. What are my alternatives? I have the graviteam games, they are pretty good but also play differently and don't do modern warfare.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

If they were released by a more reasonable Grog dev like Slytherin they'd 100% be a recommendation.

Suddenly, I have to imagine what a Harry Potter grog game would be like.

(The grog developer is Slitherine, not Slytherin, to explain the joke.)

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I know you're doing irony but I was sorta hoping that U-Boat would allow players to use actually realistic tactics (operating in wolfpacks, surfaced night attacks, etc.) unlike the Silent Hunter games. From everything I'm seeing though it seems like it still mostly forces players into doing boring submerged attacks

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
From last thread:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They apparently considered it, but ruled it out without mentioning exactly why. My first guess is they assumed, in typical grog dev fashion, that despite the larger market, the 30% cut was too much for their niche title.

Given how much Steam fucks with discoverability for small indies these days, I am not sure I disagree with them. Having the larger install base is useless if no one actually sees your game.

There is no excuse not to be on itch.io though.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Yeah i'm going to buy from battlefront because I like their badly coded games. What are my alternatives? I have the graviteam games, they are pretty good but also play differently and don't do modern warfare.

As far as "babysitting individual teams/vehicles on a battlefield" goes?

- Graviteam Tactics (which, as you said, is more of a "give everyone broad orders and let the AI do the work" thing)
- Armored Brigade (top-down, a bit more like Close Combat, but you can't split up the squads like you can in CM)
- ...Actually, Close Combat itself I guess?

...and that's about it. That's why I'm so upset about the Battlefront business model. They're kind of the only game in town for exactly what they do.

---

Speaking of Graviteam Tactics...
It's taken me a while, but I'm finally cracking the Graviteam games. The hard part was that I was actually trying to micromanage individual squads or platoons as if it were Combat Mission, running into horrible order delays and chaos in the process.

Much better, it seems, is to deploy them well (DEPLOYMENT IS EVERYTHING) and give a few chained-together orders to broad groups - say, entire companies - during first-orders, and watch the show play out. Make a few adjustments here and there if things go poorly, but generally Graviteam is all about the big, sweeping commands.

And they've done quite a bit of work making the game easier to understand and use! I'm pretty impressed with it now, versus say, a year ago.

---

In personal grognard news, I've taken a horrible step: Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit #3 is on its way. It is directly this thread's fault. I don't even have a friend remotely into wargames enough to play with, so I look forward to sitting by myself in silence down at the basement coffee table like the weirdo I hoped I'd never become.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 15, 2019

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

sum posted:

I know you're doing irony but I was sorta hoping that U-Boat would allow players to use actually realistic tactics (operating in wolfpacks, surfaced night attacks, etc.) unlike the Silent Hunter games. From everything I'm seeing though it seems like it still mostly forces players into doing boring submerged attacks

I’ve done surfaced night attacks in the Silent Hunter games though. Including a memorable one that was an unintentional recreation of the night convoy attack in Das Boot. And I’m willing to bet you can in Uboat too in the right conditions.

The biggest problem I’ve seen with Uboat gameplay footage so far is that most of the players streaming don’t really get sub tactics. If I see one more idiot dive to periscope depth and run in at flank speed with his periscope up... :suicide:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

ArchangeI posted:

From last thread:

Given how much Steam fucks with discoverability for small indies these days, I am not sure I disagree with them. Having the larger install base is useless if no one actually sees your game.

There is no excuse not to be on itch.io though.

No arguments that Steam is broken, but isn't some limited exposure better than absolutely zero exposure? Why not have the game available on every platform? It's not like releasing the game on steam will prevent them from selling the game as they currently do. Even if they dislike steam, there are plenty of other options like GoG, itch, or even Paradox. I only found out about the game through people talking about it in the previous thread. I imagine being able to find it by searching through the "naval" or ww1/2 tags on steam would provide some decent exposure.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Steam has plenty of indie/smaller dev exposure and they certainly have algorithms that work to show you content you want.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Steam has plenty of indie/smaller dev exposure and they certainly have algorithms that work to show you content you want.

This is a lie because I do not want anime and it is most definitely giving me anime.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Popete posted:

This is a lie because I do not want anime and it is most definitely giving me anime.

I've some very bad news for you, friend. :(

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I've some very bad news for you, friend. :(

How long do I have before I start buying dating sims?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Popete posted:

How long do I have before I start buying dating sims?

If I had you on Steam I would've bought you a copy of that Tank Dating is with a "Too Late"

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If I had you on Steam I would've bought you a copy of that Tank Dating is with a "Too Late"

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Saros posted:

Children of a Dead Earth does super-realistic spaceship battles and is cool and good if you can get your head around orbital mechanics.

Children of a Dead Earth is extremely good, and the only game I have seen so far where you can design your own hyperoptimized nuclear reactors.

lovely meme time:

small brain: hyped for Imperator:Rome
big brain: hyped for Rule the Waves 2
galactic brain: hyped for C# Aurora

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Has there been any news on C# Aurora 4X lately?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Has there been any news on C# Aurora 4X lately?

A few months ago, Steve said "not weeks, but months"

that is all really

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Hey um

What

Um

If they don't want to get on Steam because of the cut the Epic store is more generous.

Huh?

Huh??

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Squiggle posted:

Here is a real complaint about them, though: Combat Mission runs like absolute dog poo poo. They're single-core and CPU locked like crazy, video card doesn't even seem to come into play.

That's actually another symptom of their arrogance. Somehow all the fawning posts about Charles the Brain in the Jar have convinced them that if he doesn't know how to do something it can't be done. Oh, and he built his own graphics engine because of course he's way smarter than all the idiots working for Unity.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

williammiller, NWS admin RE: lack of RtW2 pre-orders posted:

Actually you will be able to download and play the game immediately; details to follow.

Hmmmm.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
They’ve been more tight-lipped about the updates to their store than they’ve been about the game.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
say what you will about John Tiller using a shopify storefront, but you do get the keys immediately and can download the installers seamlessly

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

We're going to monkey's paw this and RTW2 will get a storefront, but it'll be a partnership with Battlefront.

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Counterpoint: I want a logistics sim. Is there the OpenTTD of military grog?

The first scenario of Command: Desert Storm is described by many as a logistics bonanza. Have a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBtt8TunE5M

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
itch.io seems to be a thing I'm hearing a lot about recently for small niche/indie games? Do they take a cut?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Abongination posted:

itch.io seems to be a thing I'm hearing a lot about recently for small niche/indie games? Do they take a cut?

Their cut is set by the seller. You can sell something on itch.io and keep all the money.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Phi230 posted:

A few months ago, Steve said "not weeks, but months"

that is all really

Yeah from what I remember he was playing a small narrative scenario before going back into a deep dive of the code to optimize a bunch of stuff. So far stuff looked promising, its still super spreadsheety, but looked a little better on the UI front and possibly more accessible.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Yeah from what I remember he was playing a small narrative scenario before going back into a deep dive of the code to optimize a bunch of stuff. So far stuff looked promising, its still super spreadsheety, but looked a little better on the UI front and possibly more accessible.

The only thing I care about is performance

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I am kinda worried about how elaborate/complicated the ground portion sounds, even if the rest shows a lot of design sense.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Right, with RTW2 less than a week to go, and with a new thread, I think we should remind people of some ground rules.

1) No spoilers - I'll never forget the time that poor goon had the ending of WITE spoiled. "but how was I supposed to know Germany lost!" he cried. no one wants to have the ending spoiled - we want that end game cut scene to be meaningful.
2) No anime fan art. - Battleships are sexy beasts, do not demean them by drawing them as grossly disproportioned girls.
3) No Slash fics. - That Warspite/Enterprise thing will haunt us until the rest of our days.

Thanks!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Grey Hunter posted:

Right, with RTW2 less than a week to go, and with a new thread, I think we should remind people of some ground rules.

1) No spoilers - I'll never forget the time that poor goon had the ending of WITE spoiled. "but how was I supposed to know Germany lost!" he cried. no one wants to have the ending spoiled - we want that end game cut scene to be meaningful.
2) No anime fan art. - Battleships are sexy beasts, do not demean them by drawing them as grossly disproportioned girls.
3) No Slash fics. - That Warspite/Enterprise thing will haunt us until the rest of our days.

Thanks!

What the gently caress? I've spent hours working on my shipping fanime. Where else am I supposed to post this poo poo then? Reddit?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I've also been churching out these ecchi battleships that are, FITTINGLY, of my own design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

I-19 kills Wasp. Get over it nerds.