Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Samuel Clemens posted:

Ignored how? It's all still there in the final film.
Well, the fact that the movie is very bad is probably how she means it wasn't handled well. Not sure if she meant "he insufficiently polished the turd" or "Hendricks should have known better than to make such a weird, gothic and non-good movie"

Like, they go in so hard on the ancient Catholic gothic scenery and then next scene is Freddy in a waiter's coat and toque force-feeding a girl to death. It's a little much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Yeah, I think we've had this discussion in the last thread, but Halloween makes perfect sense when you assume Loomis is full of poo poo and his claim that Michael represents true evil just reflects his failures as a psychologist.

Pictured: a "blank, pale, emotionless face. the blackest eyes - the devil's eyes"

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Burkion posted:

, I believe in one, the romantic interest.

This would have owned

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

K. Waste posted:

Pictured: a "blank, pale, emotionless face. the blackest eyes - the devil's eyes"

My favorite little detail is that Mrs. Myers is wearing a beige Loomis coat.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

Over the weekend I discovered that Tubi has a Fill Moon section available for streaming :unsmigghh:

Well, guess I'll be busy for a bit

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I do think this is what makes The Devil's Rejects so good. We come to sympathize with the characters without ever redeeming them. Its just a film where they go from horror archetypes into some sort of twisted representation of humanity that the audience can still identify with.

People keep repeating this about Devil's Rejects, but I just could never see it. I get the Fireflys are supposed to be the "protagonists" of the movie, since they are nigh-omnipotent and so much smarter than anybody sharing the screen with them all the way up til the end, but there's never a moment where I sympathized with any of them (is there such a scene?) and the entire movie is an exercise in tediousness as a result.

The slo-motion montage of them getting gunned down during Freebird may as well just be footage of Rob Zombie fingering his own butthole.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ruddiger posted:

People keep repeating this about Devil's Rejects, but I just could never see it. I get the Fireflys are supposed to be the "protagonists" of the movie, since they are nigh-omnipotent and so much smarter than anybody sharing the screen with them all the way up til the end, but there's never a moment where I sympathized with any of them (is there such a scene?) and the entire movie is an exercise in tediousness as a result.

It just comes off as people having a very different reading of the second half. The sheriff's hosed up in his own way and grossly oversteps his bounds trying for revenge/his view of justice, and taking that to mean they're the good guys just because he's very much not by that point, or that they really learned their lesson through that experience

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

ruddiger posted:

The slo-motion montage of them getting gunned down during Freebird may as well just be footage of Rob Zombie fingering his own butthole.

I think its the same way Downfall evokes empathy. While we can hate all the characters and be glad they are dead, there is still something about an authentic shared affection between the characters. Like, they are irredeemable, but they still care for each other.

Chris James 2 posted:

The sheriff's hosed up in his own way and grossly oversteps his bounds trying for revenge/his view of justice, and taking that to mean they're the good guys just because he's very much not by that point, or that they really learned their lesson through that experience

I mean, I don't think they are ever the good guys or that they learn anything, but they are certainly humanized by the experience

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Saw Triangle because I saw it recommended on here a dozen or so pages back. I wasn't impressed, but then again I'm not a big fan of the gimmick, with a few notable exceptions (image spoilered even though it's not a 100% fit):

There is the very real possibility that I'm just too dumb for those kind of movies, though. Like, I still haven't figured out where the enthusiastically homicidal Jess came from. I guess if she went on the boat knowing about her dead son she could start killing them as soon as they get aboard... but then where does the original first Jess come from, considering that she just has always reacted the same way before coming aboard? And wasn't there a Jess clubbing another Jess to death? We never got to follow those Jesses, so variations seem possible during each loop... but then how does the ship not crawl with infinite Jesses and Liam Hemsworths and whatnot?[spoiler] I just don't get it.

The atmosphere is pretty good before the first [spoiler]loop
even starts, and once it became clear what was happening the movie managed to still throw me for a loop a few times. But ultimately it felt a bit half-baked.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think its the same way Downfall evokes empathy. While we can hate all the characters and be glad they are dead, there is still something about an authentic shared affection between the characters. Like, they are irredeemable, but they still care for each other.

Do they tho? Like, I couldn't even tell you what their relations are to each other, all existing in their own little micro-bubbles. Otis and Sherry Moon are siblings? And Sid Haig's a cousin or something? I guess? Was there another one? Strong guy? I guess he's the baby duey/Leatherface heavy of the family? It's such a boring wannabe TCM template of the family dynamic, but filtered down into music video vignettes that add up to a feature length runtime. Honestly, Forsythe's cop character is far and away the most interesting character of the movie, but even then, he's no more interesting than every other cop portrayed in that same situation in cinema history.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Watched Halloween 2 last night and I'm about to start Halloween 3 right now.

1st one was kinda slow compared to the sequal.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Any horror movies with impressive 5.1 sound? Just got a new system and would love some surround sound spookies.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Gejimayu posted:

Any horror movies with impressive 5.1 sound? Just got a new system and would love some surround sound spookies.

The Strangers has some of the best sound design I've ever heard.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gejimayu posted:

I'd imagine A Quiet Place would fit the bill here perfectly.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Easy Diff posted:

The Strangers has some of the best sound design I've ever heard.

Id be happy to rewatch it, but does anyone else have an issue where as soon as the strangers get like... Within 10 feet of the protagonists, they stop being scary? Thats how I remember it from when I saw it in theaters. Also the shotgun death iirc was very ridiculous.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gejimayu posted:

evil bong is BUBBLIN man

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Also, not *quite* what you may be asking for, but I played Resident Evil VII with some nice headphones and its pretty impressive

https://clips.twitch.tv/DreamySingleLionOSkomodo

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
5 was so loving awful that I quit RE. Did it get good again? I probably would have hated 4 but I played it on the wii and using the wiimote as a gun was so amazing that I didn't care that it was an action movie because it was like a perfect version of House of the Dead.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
7 is real loving good and RE2make is loving incredible

They are both genuinely scary as hell and are very much in the spirit of the originals

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

While not entirely a horror movie, Arctic with Mads Mikkelsen is a near dialogue-free film with great sound design and some parts that are pure horror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5aD9ppoQIo

I saw it in theaters and it was excellent. Really harrowing uncomfortable poo poo.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gejimayu posted:

Annihilation
Under The Skin
Suspiria (either one honestly)

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Chris James 2 posted:

Suspiria (either one honestly)

I loved Suspiria but its been years since revisiting it. I've been meaning to watch the original with my wife before watching the new one (she hasn't seen the original yet but I think she'd love it) so that's awesome. I'll try to get a good copy of it for us to watch, instead of relying on warez if I can (not gonna lie, I usually do).

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
every time someone in here discovers how much exorcist tv rules i remember how mad i am that it got canned

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ReapersTouch posted:

Watched Halloween 2 last night and I'm about to start Halloween 3 right now.

1st one was kinda slow compared to the sequal.

I'm not a fan of Halloween 2 (the original, not the Zombie one). It's very clear that they hadn't actually expected a sequel, so they basically just did "The first one, but more." It's a similar formula ramped up so you get twice the number of kills and more gore.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Gejimayu posted:

I loved Suspiria but its been years since revisiting it. I've been meaning to watch the original with my wife before watching the new one (she hasn't seen the original yet but I think she'd love it) so that's awesome. I'll try to get a good copy of it for us to watch, instead of relying on warez if I can (not gonna lie, I usually do).

In the U.S. it was kinda tough to get a blu ray quality version of Suspiria for a while, but about 2 years ago they did release a region 1 blu ray and it's a fantastic transfer so that problem is taken care of thankfully.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

mikeycp posted:

every time someone in here discovers how much exorcist tv rules i remember how mad i am that it got canned

:same:

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm not a fan of Halloween 2 (the original, not the Zombie one). It's very clear that they hadn't actually expected a sequel, so they basically just did "The first one, but more." It's a similar formula ramped up so you get twice the number of kills and more gore.

I like it on its own as an 80s slasher movie, but I do like it as a double feature too because of how much it ramps up and how fast it goes. But also because, like, there was no way on hell they were going to deliver something as good as the original.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Catching up on Joe Bob from this past week.

You know, I can't disagree that his schtick wears thin sometimes, but when it works it really does work. His rant on whiskey before they showed The Changeling was one of those times when it worked.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Enjoy this sales trailer for Freddy Vs Jason made in 1997

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

I mean I know it's the look they were going for, but the whole time I was watching that I was expecting to hear Jim Ross yelling "BAH GAWD, THAT'S FREDDY'S MUSIC! STOP THE DANG MATCH!".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

King Vidiot posted:

I mean I know it's the look they were going for, but the whole time I was watching that I was expecting to hear Jim Ross yelling "BAH GAWD, THAT'S FREDDY'S MUSIC! STOP THE DANG MATCH!".

Just once I'd love for an episode of Raw to have someone in charge angrily interrogating the FX crew about why they knew to play the bad guy's music before he came in to interrupt a match. "HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN IN ON THIS? WHY DID HE HAVE A NEW VIDEO READY?"

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Just once I'd love for an episode of Raw to have someone in charge angrily interrogating the FX crew about why they knew to play the bad guy's music before he came in to interrupt a match. "HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN IN ON THIS? WHY DID HE HAVE A NEW VIDEO READY?"
Canonically, the show is a live sports event, so the guys would just have everyone's music cued. It would be a mad scramble in the booth to slam the "Kane Music + Pyro" button if Kane showed up.

No different than a pinch-hitter's walk-up music playing. :bahgawd:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Wrestling PAs are basically just the impartial Greek Chorus who announce the approach of the Legendary Wrassle Heroes and Villains and narrate the action in song and video. They're a force of nature, and cannot be held responsible for anything they do.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I checked out Escape Room last night and I was really surprised, the ending is pretty weak but it has a lot of great set-pieces. It's basically a remake of Cube.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Easy Diff posted:

Canonically, the show is a live sports event, so the guys would just have everyone's music cued. It would be a mad scramble in the booth to slam the "Kane Music + Pyro" button if Kane showed up.

No different than a pinch-hitter's walk-up music playing. :bahgawd:

kayfabing that mad scramble would have been a pretty great moment, though

all Kane walking out and then just looking around, confused, at his inactive pyro... cut to the booth, where the engineers are just all going "OH poo poo OH poo poo KANE JUST SHOWED UP OUT OF NOWHERE"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
You don't realize how important that music is until you see a live show, because for a lot of these guys you can barely tell who they are from your seat unless they're wearing their standard outfit and/or their music is playing. Sometimes in wrestling they do an "invasion" story where a wrestler from another promotion randomly shows up at another promotions show, and the t.v. announcers always have to do the heavy lifting in that situation because it's like oh ok a buff long-haired dude in jeans has appeared in the ring and yea sorry I can't tell who that is from my seat 40 rows back.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
What was the general reaction to the Evil Dead remake here? I just watched it and really enjoyed it, very obviously made with a much different tone to the original but I still think it worked with what it was trying to do.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

OldTennisCourt posted:

What was the general reaction to the Evil Dead remake here? I just watched it and really enjoyed it, very obviously made with a much different tone to the original but I still think it worked with what it was trying to do.

The general consensus is that it's real good but some folks in the thread hate it. I like it a lot myself.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

OldTennisCourt posted:

It’s good and I like it

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It's good but I hate the nailgun part because that's not how they loving work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

OldTennisCourt posted:

I love it, personally, for steering back into the really nasty feel of the original.

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's good but I hate the nailgun part because that's not how they loving work.

Obviously it was a haunted nailgun.