Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

elite_garbage_man posted:

Another good one is where they ask you to meet in person before they give you any job prospects.

i got a good job from one of these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

raminasi posted:

i got a good job from one of these
hand, blow, or rim?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CrazyLittle posted:

maybe you should learn a 4 chord progression

:hmmyes:

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

:same:

all recruiters are garbage. internal recruiters dont really count.

actually they do

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

On the Uber back to LAX and I think it went fantastically well. The dude who would be my team lead was this awesome stereotypical Italian man that worked at NeXt with Steve Jobs. Welp time to head home and grind out more applications.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

KidDynamite posted:

The dude who would be my team lead was this awesome stereotypical Italian man that worked at NeXt with Steve Jobs.

so that was the only giant red sign or...?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I think this job wants to hire me? or at leas the designers want me. I’d be the first traditionally trained designer on their team.

cheese eats mouse posted:

I think this job wants to hire me? or at leas the designers want me. I’d be the first traditionally trained designer on their team.

yep got the jerb. asked for more $$ over my initial offer. leaving KY in may

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 16, 2019

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Fiedler posted:

so that was the only giant red sign or...?

Maybe it was novel because I didn’t directly work with him, but he was very charismatic and fun to talk to.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

I’m sorry you are moving to the mid west. please just keep going until you hit the coast. :unsmith:

Haha. Wife and I really miss it. Now that we have a family it's more important to us than ever. We're super stoked.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cheese eats mouse posted:

yep got the jerb. asked for more $$ over my initial offer. leaving KY in may

grats goon

I’m getting my actual offer letter for new job tomorrow morning

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

put in notice

feelin just FINE

nice

my last day is this friday. suddenly all those "3 month back-burnered" projects are all top priority. go figure

qirex posted:

grats goon

I’m getting my actual offer letter for new job tomorrow morning

get paid

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

put in notice

feelin just FINE

there is no better feeling

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I got to file for unemployment yesterday!

Now I get 3 more screens (2 phone one in person) today, an amazon on site on Thurs and then nothing for another week. I hate how ritualized the process is at this point...
Submit resume.
Schedule call with recruiter.
Recruiter calls sells job
Schedule call with hiring manager
Hiring Manager screen
Recruiter passes you off to on site coordinator
<long rear end wait for no reason>
On Site Coordinator asks when you're available
Schedule on site for a week or two out.

Same drat bullshit all the loving time.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Hughlander posted:

Same drat bullshit all the loving time.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

It loving sucks, and the worst part is hyping up every job in your mind so you've got the right "energy" for the interview, then explaining to yourself that the job was poo poo after they pass on you.

I had an interviewer ask if a role was "exciting enough" for me during an interview, after I had explained several times how interested I was, what the gently caress do you want from me dude, to shout it from the roof tops? I need a job rear end in a top hat

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ADINSX posted:

I had an interviewer ask if a role was "exciting enough" for me during an interview,

maybe its code for "i hate my job its boring as poo poo"

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

maybe its code for "i hate my job its boring as poo poo"

Nanh this was from their new director. After they passed on me I told the recruiter it was no big deal, I don't know if it would have worked out anyway, mainly because of him, and he hinted that it wasn't the first time he'd heard that.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

since financial software is in many ways deeply boring, much like my posting, people during the interview for newjob did kind of ask me if I had the temperament for it

come to think of it I got asked that in my interview for my old job too

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

ADINSX posted:

It loving sucks, and the worst part is hyping up every job in your mind so you've got the right "energy" for the interview, then explaining to yourself that the job was poo poo after they pass on you.

I had an interviewer ask if a role was "exciting enough" for me during an interview, after I had explained several times how interested I was, what the gently caress do you want from me dude, to shout it from the roof tops? I need a job rear end in a top hat

they were probably just following a script and only half listening to you

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

they were probably just following a script and only half listening to you

This was the in-person, I doubt he was following a script, or if he was he came up with it himself

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ADINSX posted:

This was the in-person, I doubt he was following a script, or if he was he came up with it himself

that sounds like some thing from a business magazine where you challenge candidates to see if they lick your balls to a sufficient degree

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ADINSX posted:

If there's a steady pay check in it I'll find anything "exciting enough"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My boss in our last one-on-one asked if I was "having fun here." I only kind of answered by saying, "I'm happy I figured out how to do feature X and I'll be relieved when project Y is in the rear-view mirror." They didn't object to that answer, so I guess it worked??

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So how do I word it to other places that hey I've had an on-site I think might lead to an offer please hurry your poo poo up without sounding like a pompous rear end in a top hat? I don't want to make decisions like move across the country in a vacuum .

Also what are real opinions on being in LA for tech specifically mobile? Will I be screwed if for whatever reasons things don't work out?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

KidDynamite posted:

So how do I word it to other places that hey I've had an on-site I think might lead to an offer please hurry your poo poo up without sounding like a pompous rear end in a top hat? I don't want to make decisions like move across the country in a vacuum .

Also what are real opinions on being in LA for tech specifically mobile? Will I be screwed if for whatever reasons things don't work out?

Hey I'm just letting you know that I just had an on-site with company X that I think went well, but I'd still very excited about you, company Y, and wanted to make sure you know where I was in my process so that neither of us miss a potential opportunity.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

I'd pretty much word it like that. "I have an offer on the table but I'm interested in what you may come back with. I need to provide a response by X so if there's interest I need an answer from you by X-2."

LA itself? I only know of a few game studios out there doing mobile related things but there's probably much more. If you append it to be Santa Monica or Irvine (bitch commutes) there's a lot of things that way mobile and otherwise.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

is "ability to overcome naysayers and blockers to pursue management goals" among key capabilities a red flag

e: I'm tentatively going with yea but I'll apply anyway

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 16, 2019

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

recruiter reached out and they want to extend an offer after one final interview session with the head of product and engineering. no numbers yet.

how to accurately calculate cost of living and take home salary? need to make sure numbers are actually worth it. so having an idea in my head when they come with numbers or if i cave when they ask. Not moving across the country for a 10k raise.

but god drat does this feel good for me mentally.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Private Speech posted:

is "ability to overcome naysayers and blockers to pursue management goals" among key capabilities a red flag

Translation: we like to set unrealistic deadlines, ignoring the legitimate concerns our foot soldiers

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010
How garbage are London interviews these days? Is it as whiteboardy as in the USA?

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
Had the best interview last Friday. The guy immediately asked me if I could move across the country within a month, and when I said no he said we're done. I know it sounds bad, but it was very polite and he wasn't condescending in any way. I hardly own anything, but I can't imagine who could commit to a move like that. I definitely would prefer more interviews like that instead of being strung along. But now I have to look for places to apply to.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
shouldnt they have already gone over the location requirements before an interview

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

new company sent my job offer to the wrong email address :psyduck:

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

qirex posted:

new company sent my job offer to the wrong email address :psyduck:

I understand your pain. I now go in and intentionally white list every email domain of every place I apply to because I had an important job related email end up in my spam folder.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I just hope whoever it is doesn't steal my job!

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Private Speech posted:

lmao would put that in a job posting

yes, yes thats a red flag

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

everywhere is terrible, but only the real bottom of the barrel places don't pretend to hide it, or think they're managing to hide it behind doublespeak lol

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Private Speech posted:

yeah i’m gonna buck the typical yospos cynicism and say this may be a good sign? it’s definitely a very strange way of phrasing it but it might be good. definitely follow up on it with every person who interviews you though

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

it was sent by a recruiter among a bunch of other general things like "conscientiousness" and "great communication skills"

it does offer about 15% above market rate (for the UK outside London, which is, uhh, somewhat over 40k pounds)

the money is the main reason I'll give it a go, I can always drop it if it indeed turns out crap

edit: on a semi-related note I know H1Bs get treated badly but the money is tempting sometimes

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Private Speech posted:

also phrased as:

You have strong influencing skills, allowing you to be comfortable in pushing back and providing direction for your team, colleagues and stakeholders 

Honestly, organisational politics and having to defend a position is a real thing.
Change is sometimes hard, and some people can make it harder.