Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah because death is super rare in thrones?

He's a side character who shouldn't even be alive to begin with. Is it really that crazy to think that after your ticket to immortality goes away, you're probably not gonna live much longer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX9-5VXjkZY

Let's complain about things that actually don't make sense instead of third-tier plot developments that we are unhappy haven't happened yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

General Dog posted:

As far as I can tell, the only reason Berric and Thoros came back onto the show's radar was as a means to get The Hound to the North.

Nothing wrong with that imo. Lord of light gave them a mission. Beric and Thoros also being part of the magnificent seven to capture a wight last season owned.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX9-5VXjkZY

Let's complain about things that actually don't make sense instead of third-tier plot developments that we are unhappy haven't happened yet.

Hey, fair. Just throwing it out there. Words on the internet cost nothing.

But yeah, small potatoes for sure.

teagone posted:

Nothing wrong with that imo. Lord of light gave them a mission. Beric and Thoros also being part of the magnificent seven to capture a wight last season owned.

It did own, although the whole point of it was kinda weird and it sure seems to have accomplished little in the long run, as Cersei is gonna Cersei. I guess it locked in Dany but she was already kinda on board. I need to re-watch last season...

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Beric's gonna die anyways. Everyone will. Just sit tight. Sheesh.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Crow Jane posted:

I think Arya and Sansa are the only characters guaranteed not to die, because GRRM's wife would leave him if they did. Not joking.

I'm having a hard time picturing Arya's role in a post-war Westeros.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

General Dog posted:

I'm having a hard time picturing Arya's role in a post-war Westeros.

She'd probably gently caress off to Braavos to become the god of death or something.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

It did own, although the whole point of it was kinda weird and it sure seems to have accomplished little in the long run, as Cersei is gonna Cersei. I guess it locked in Dany but she was already kinda on board. I need to re-watch last season...

It caused Jaime to defect, and informed everyone the army of the dead and the Night King exist.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

teagone posted:

She'd probably gently caress off to Braavos to become the god of death or something.

Or go exploring to see what's west of Westeros, like she told that actress lady in season 6.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Zaphod42 posted:

D&D would never allow this sadly, Arya's got plot armor. I could see Jon dying or even Dany, but not Arya.

Eh, the thing about "plot armor" is that everyone's plot armor disappears at the end.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The “everyone can die!” thing hasn’t really been true since Ned Stark as far as major characters. Jon was never going to take a random arrow. Tyrion was never going to get pneumonia. Cersei will not go to liver failure. It’s fantasy fiction.

The endgame characters were pretty obvious by book/season 2 and totally obvious by 3/4. The show managed to give Rob more screen time, but even dudes like him, Cat, Oberyn, and Tywin were clear secondary players.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Phenotype posted:

The thing to remember is that in Westeros, people aren't ever really that intelligent. Remember when Sam cured Jorah's greyscale, and the maester asks him how he did it, and he's like "Well, I read the instructions in the book and did what it told me to" and the maester is like "omg we never thought of that!"

For like 95% of the population, it doesn't matter if you're Albert Einstein or a drooling moron, you're gonna grub in the dirt for most of your miserable existence and then some random troop of soldiers is going to come through and rape your daughters and steal all your food, and then they'll act like they're going to let you go free and then kill you at the last minute as a joke for their friends. "High society" consists of a couple dozen families who've been breeding amongst eachother and mostly selecting for being good at fighting and being assholes, and any intelligence that shows up there is going to be watered down by breeding with more inbred assholes. Just being able to think your way through something like Littlefinger's "Pretend everyone has the worst intentions" game probably puts you in the top ten thinkers in the country.

Man this is a great breakdown of the entire GoT universe, it explains everything minus the magic

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

They should’ve given the captured walker to Qyburn

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

He's better than most fantasy writers by far, and has some great ones. Beric Dondarrion is one of my favorites.

But he has some stinkers in there too, they can't all be good. Mance Rayder is awful. Before I read the books I thought they were saying "Mans Raider"

In the books theres a purple-haired edgelord called Dark Star. Thats his actual name, and people take him seriously.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Supreme Allah posted:

In the books theres a purple-haired edgelord called Dark Star. Thats his actual name, and people take him seriously.

Of course they do, for he is of the night!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Supreme Allah posted:

Tell me you didn't read all his lines imagining the Batman voice.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Its a medieval society, they don't know it's corny yet.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Hah, I remember reading some thing about how Martin was genuinely surprised that fans weren't super into Dark Star.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Crow Jane posted:

Or go exploring to see what's west of Westeros, like she told that actress lady in season 6.

It's weird that they've built all these huge cities, a 300 mile long ice wall and huge monuments that probably took generations to build but never thought to get in a boat and go "that way" across the sea to find out what's over there.

GoT makes things like boats and ballistae seem like relatively new, important inventions.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Phenotype posted:

The thing to remember is that in Westeros, people aren't ever really that intelligent. Remember when Sam cured Jorah's greyscale, and the maester asks him how he did it, and he's like "Well, I read the instructions in the book and did what it told me to" and the maester is like "omg we never thought of that!"

For like 95% of the population, it doesn't matter if you're Albert Einstein or a drooling moron, you're gonna grub in the dirt for most of your miserable existence and then some random troop of soldiers is going to come through and rape your daughters and steal all your food, and then they'll act like they're going to let you go free and then kill you at the last minute as a joke for their friends. "High society" consists of a couple dozen families who've been breeding amongst eachother and mostly selecting for being good at fighting and being assholes, and any intelligence that shows up there is going to be watered down by breeding with more inbred assholes. Just being able to think your way through something like Littlefinger's "Pretend everyone has the worst intentions" game probably puts you in the top ten thinkers in the country.

This is kinda why I really loved Brienne's countryside travels - plot in Feast and I'm always somewhat puzzled that some people hated it. Different strokes, I get that, but for me it was one of the highlights of the book. We get a lot of this with the "broken men" speech from Septon Meribald.

When it comes to the show, I stopped taking it seriously pretty much after they ran out of source material and had to come up with their own plots. It's still pretty entertaining but it's gone in a totally different direction than the first seasons lead to believe.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Kawalimus posted:

Hah, I remember reading some thing about how Martin was genuinely surprised that fans weren't super into Dark Star.

Dark Star was his attempt to make a new Oberyn cause he wasn't expecting people to like him so much and be so upset when he died

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

TeaJay posted:

When it comes to the show, I stopped taking it seriously pretty much after they ran out of source material and had to come up with their own plots.

Not that the source material should be taken seriously either.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Tom Gorman posted:

It's weird that they've built all these huge cities, a 300 mile long ice wall and huge monuments that probably took generations to build but never thought to get in a boat and go "that way" across the sea to find out what's over there.

GoT makes things like boats and ballistae seem like relatively new, important inventions.

The Summer Islanders have apparently done more exploration than any other culture (they're kinda analogous to Polynesians, I think?), but they don't show their maps to outsiders. That's from the World of Ice and Fire book, though, not sure how canonical it is.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Tom Gorman posted:

Well the Wall was built by ancient magic and real life Europeans didn't sail west until the early modern era. We don't know what the prevailing wind situation is, either.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I think Ironborn have looked over there in the lore, but their ships have never returned.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tom Gorman posted:

Ballista and some things yes. But boats existing prior to the white walkers is a matter of continuity. The writers for the show just don't spend as long obsessing about things as GRRM does.

Which is why the show is actually ending, lol.

(And to be fair, GRRM made some big mistakes, like the size of the wall being way too loving big, and changing what was going to be a 5-year time skip into a 0-year time skip causing some temporal anomalies)

TeaJay posted:

When it comes to the show, I stopped taking it seriously pretty much after they ran out of source material and had to come up with their own plots. It's still pretty entertaining but it's gone in a totally different direction than the first seasons lead to believe.

Yep. Its just such a shame. But the show we're getting now is still entertaining at least, its just not remotely the same.

Can we get another show that's just people plotting to stab each other in the back?

Lycus posted:

Not that the source material should be taken seriously either.

It has very different flaws from D&D's show, but its definitely flawed, yeah.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

Well the Wall was built by ancient magic and real life Europeans didn't sail west until the early modern era. We don't know what the prevailing wind situation is, either.

The white walkers exist because the Andals came over and hosed up the First Men and took over Westeros. This is like, the crux of the entire lore.

So we know that boats have been around forever and people were able to travel between continents already.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Some of the posters in this thread are right tedious fucks.

Episode was good. I very much enjoyed getting to see the various reunions, especially Jon and Arya. I had totally forgotten that they might touch on Jaime and Bran again so that ending got a big gasp from me and the rest of our group. And yes, I love that Bran stayed out all night to dunk on him. In terms of what's coming, my big piece of speculation is that Dany isn't actually the analogue to Jon, she's the analogue to the Night King. She's just as bad news and our heroes are going to be stuck between the two of them.

I can't believe this show is almost over. My life has changed so much since it started. It's weird.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Westeros seems to be in a dark age of sorts where a lot of technology and scientific/magical knowledge from prior ages has been lost.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

General Dog posted:

Westeros seems to be in a dark age of sorts where a lot of technology and scientific/magical knowledge from prior ages has been lost.

And similarly it seems like there's an organization (the Maesters) who know about both technology AND magic, but intentionally want to keep most people ignorant.

Rarity posted:

my big piece of speculation is that Dany isn't actually the analogue to Jon, she's the analogue to the Night King. She's just as bad news and our heroes are going to be stuck between the two of them.

Interesting take. I think she's bad news too but just that she's Mad King 2.0.

Its either gonna end with her being like "BEND THE KNEE OR EVERYBODY BURNS" and Jon stabs her, or she has some lame last minute redemption arc where she realizes she shouldn't be her father. Hopefully not that.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've always been interested in the exact relationship between the Maesters and the noble class, because it seems like yeah they are keeping the knowledge to themselves, but the prevailing attitude seems to be 'yeah that's fine, let them deal with it just keep one on staff'

is it ever discussed how the Maesters are funded?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

You know, it's sort of surprising that Bran even cared enough to be there to intimidate Jamie. Bran's certainly more interested in Jamie's role in the war to come than losing his legs years ago.

Zaphod42 posted:

Its either gonna end with her being like "BEND THE KNEE OR EVERYBODY BURNS" and Jon stabs her, or she has some lame last minute redemption arc where she realizes she shouldn't be her father. Hopefully not that.

Not sure if the dragons would indiscriminately burn a Targaryen, or if Jon even can be burned, but I presume he wouldn't need to stab her.

Of course, apparently that matches the prophecy of Azor Ahai stabbing his wife so he's gonna do it.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 15, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Zaphod42 posted:

The white walkers exist because the Andals came over and hosed up the First Men and took over Westeros. This is like, the crux of the entire lore.

So we know that boats have been around forever and people were able to travel between continents already.

The white walkers were fighting children of the forest like a billion years ago and the wall and all that poo poo was long established before the andals came.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It turns out his hand isn't made of gold or whatever but actually dragonglass, just painted gold. So he's gonna run around backhanding all the zombies and instantly killing them

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The white walkers were fighting children of the forest like a billion years ago and the wall and all that poo poo was long established before the andals came.

Not according to the show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guhc75cGY2Q

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You're right, the white walkers were from the first men and children of the forest fighting. But still, the Andals came over like thousands and thousands of years ago before the story, and have to have for people like the Starks and Targaryens to be here. So boats definitely have to exist and have for a loooooong time.

Yeah the show plays kinda loose with those details. That dude seems to be an Andal but could have been one of the First Men? :shrug: Either way.

E: The Andals showed up 6,000 years ago, that's a long time for people to get used to the idea of boats :)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 15, 2019

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Rarity posted:

Some of the posters in this thread are right tedious fucks.

It's like seeing an old friend that you didn't like much but you haven't seen them in two years.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Started reading before Storm of Swords came out when I was in high school. That was like 99-2000 I believe. It’s insane that it’s finally going to have *an* ending, even if it’s not the one I wanted more. I’ve grown to embrace and love the stupidity.

Nothing better than the Davis/Mel/Jon raise dead situation.

Davos: “Were both obviously good guys Jon Snow, so we should be best friends. Oh no your dead....”

Davos: “Mel”, who killed my pseudo-daughter for absolutely nothing. “I know I hate you, and have pledged myself to kill you”, “but you know magic and stuff right?” “My bro over here is dead now and you can just bring him back to life right? That’s something you do right?”

Mel: “Why would you think I could do that, I can’t do that, I’ll try I guess, oh hey he’s alive now”

This entire process makes zero narrative sense but whatever, it’s moving plot. I’m in.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Macaluso posted:

It turns out his hand isn't made of gold or whatever but actually dragonglass, just painted gold. So he's gonna run around backhanding all the zombies and instantly killing them

It will be interesting if Jamie ends up doing anything more than taking out Cersei.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ancient Greeks had boats and ancient China had boats, but they couldn’t manage trips long enough to find the Americas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Ancient Greeks had boats and ancient China had boats, but they couldn’t manage trips long enough to find the Americas.

Yeah that's true, and we don't know what if anything is to the west of Westeros. It really does mirror Europe pretty well, being close enough to Asia but not close enough to America.

GOT is just the war of the roses with dragons and zombies added in halfway through.