Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Heavenly lacks the variety of terrain at altitude that makes for good spring conditions IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Just got an invite to a private day at Silverton tomorrow heck yeah

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Any article that doesn't list Abasin is loving ignorant

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot . posted:

Just got an invite to a private day at Silverton tomorrow heck yeah

Nice!

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Which avy beacon should I buy?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

il serpente cosmico posted:

I have a tracker 2 but I would look at the ortovox s1 if I was buying a new one.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

spwrozek posted:

I have a tracker 2 but I would look at the ortovox s1 if I was buying a new one.

Thanks, the S1+ looks pretty baller.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Thanks, the S1+ looks pretty baller.

Yeah I used it at a multiple burial rescue class and it was sweet.

casque
Mar 17, 2009

I like my Pieps DSP Pro, the new Black Diamond transceivers are the continuation of that line.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Unfortunately, we just had a skier die in an avalanche at Ravine of the Raymond Cataract next to Tuckerman Ravine. Had a beacon but apparently was skiing alone so no one to dig him out in time. East coast backcountry is still backcountry and especially at Mt. Washington should be taken seriously. Non-east coast people like to play down Tucks but it is serious terrain and people die there.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I am a PNW dude but my partner is from New England so I've done some backpacking and hiking in New Hampshire. I remember seeing Tuckerman in the summertime and being impressed with how steep it was. poo poo seems like no joke.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Idk why people go alone but a lot of my friends are doing it this time of year and it’s just a really bad and selfish idea from your family and friends’ perspective.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Moot . posted:

Idk why people go alone but a lot of my friends are doing it this time of year and it’s just a really bad and selfish idea from your family and friends’ perspective.
Seems crazy to me. It defeats the whole purpose of carrying a transceiver and there's no one to see you buried and no one to call for help and no one to search and dig you out. If something happens to you (even something minor like an equipment failuire), you might not even be able to get help until your family reports you haven't returned or someone notices your abandoned car a couple of days later.

I always liked the signs at boundaries and gates that say something like "The mountains are as cold and lonely as they were 200 years ago. Don't ski alone."

Yuns fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Apr 12, 2019

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I am a PNW dude but my partner is from New England so I've done some backpacking and hiking in New Hampshire. I remember seeing Tuckerman in the summertime and being impressed with how steep it was. poo poo seems like no joke.
I think people who are not from the area don't realize how extreme Mt. Washington is and expect the east coast backcountry to be a joke compared to places like the Rockies because of the smaller mountains and lower altitude. Because it's only 6000+ feet and because it's so close to cities, people don't appreciate it can be literally one of the coldest and windiest places on earth during winter. They also may not realize how dangerous Mt.Washington can be because of the carnival atmosphere of spring skiing Tucks. There's a reason why people don't ski it in the winter and wait until spring.

Here is footage of the rescue team searching for Kate Matrosova who died while hiking the range in the winter a few years back. You can see how extreme the weather is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP4u6VyrgCk

Yuns fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 12, 2019

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Yuns posted:

I think people who are not from the area don't realize how extreme Mt. Washington is and expect the east coast backcountry to be a joke compared to places like the Rockies because of the smaller mountains and lower altitude. Because it's only 6000+ feet and because it's so close to cities, people don't appreciate it can be literally one of the coldest and windiest places on earth during winter. They also may not realize how dangerous Mt.Washington can be because of the carnival atmosphere of spring skiing Tucks. There's a reason why people don't ski it in the winter and wait until spring.

Here is footage of the rescue team searching for Kate Matrosova who died while hiking the range in the winter a few years back. You can see how extreme the weather is.

That video is intense.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

IncredibleIgloo posted:

That video is intense.
The funny thing is that Mt. Washington can be pretty easy depending on trail choice on a day with good weather or can be life threatening in the extreme in bad weather.

My understanding is that there are easy paths down the ravine area but at its steepest at the headwall Tuck's hits a legit 55 degrees (not grade but actual degrees).

edit:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BwIxTQuhvob/
Buried a meter deep for 1.5-2 hours. Still breathing when dug out but cardiac arrest and death shortly thereafter.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 12, 2019

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Yuns posted:

That's New Hampshire? What the Christ.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Closing day at Silverton was fantastic. Lot of naked people skiing.

Just like pure, unadulterated skiing.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Colorado is good right now. This is up in RMNP in the Never Summer range. The more time I spend skinning the better. Especially when I am way out there with no one around for miles and miles.

Going up

Hard to see the tracks down since the clouds came in but that is the couloir we rode.

We came down the right one. Lady looking good.

A little his and hers on another line we rode.

A bit of wiggle

Got to get that second lap

Me and the lady

Coming down on lap one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGlRtnj9HDs

I mean maybe 38-40 degrees but steep ish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPx7iO0dTmA

Me heading down the lower section
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR1n2nWANLg

Had to get back to the car somehow...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of5-oLf47dY

This was out looking for a line that we didn't ski
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeY9pGa4erY

It was pretty with the snow though, not sure on her technique though...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyaXWl61kY8

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
I skied an improbably good late season bc lap the other day up here. It was unplanned though so I was on race equipment. Can't necessarily recommend that.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Disinterested posted:

I skied an improbably good late season bc lap the other day up here. It was unplanned though so I was on race equipment. Can't necessarily recommend that.

ha. I always think about getting light gear and then decide that I do this to ride powder or steep lines.

I will say the 4FRNT Raven's have been really great up and down.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I can't believe how insanely exposed this line is
https://www.instagram.com/p/BwR46CInPqn/
talk about no-fall zones

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yeah, that line was nuts.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

edit: derp. I'm terrible at instagram.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 17, 2019

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

There's another video in that post, click the right arrow.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

kiimo posted:

edit: derp. I'm terrible at instagram.

He is stuck there forever.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
So China Peak in the Western Sierra got 8 inches in the last week, and with the temps they're getting I'm pretty sure most of it is still on the ground.

Looks like its gonna be an epic Sunday to test our new setups!

Edit:
Also pulled the trigger on an Ikon Pass, hello late-season Mammoth.

Zisky fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 19, 2019

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

"late-season" suggests that the season will ever end at Mammoth. :v:

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Wistful of Dollars posted:

"late-season" suggests that the season will ever end at Mammoth. :v:

Lol you mean I shouldn't be worried about an early May trip when there's currently 170" on the ground?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Lol you mean I shouldn't be worried about an early May trip when there's currently 170" on the ground?

The magic 8-ball says "shred, my man".

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The 2:30 AM wake up yesterday was very worth it. Headed up to Rocky Mountain National Park and went up Dragon's Tail Couloir.

The sun finally coming up

Up the main part of the couloir

The crew heading for the business

Looking down from just before the crux

Looking up before the crux

Glad I brought two ice axes for the crux... We were able to sneak to the right and ride down in this section

Topping out

Room with a view...

Down time

Nice form me :P

Cruising across the lake. The line we skied is the middle one on the right with the rocky section in the snow

Yeah it was a good ride!

This is me on the face after the crux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwO-WbEY81A

A guy in our group getting it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsOIwcso51M

My friend looks tired?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYk5JQm9ycM

I am really trying to push more this spring. This climb was my first time cramponing on rock..exciting... We still have a lot of snow in the high alpine so hopefully at least another month of this.

E: Here is the track if interested: https://www.strava.com/activities/2302448340

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 20, 2019

Zisky
May 6, 2003

spwrozek posted:

Wild backcountry poo poo

This is wild! Amazing pics and looks like you had an amazing ride. How long did the trek up take you?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

We left Denver at 3:30, got to the trail head at 5:15. Left the trail head at 5:40 (waiting for the rest of our crew). Skinned in, switched to crampons, and was at the top about 8:15. We didn't push it though as we sat up there until 9:30 while the snow softened up.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

They’re good lines Brent

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I bought a rolling ski bag on closeout and Jesus H I wish the seats folded down in my car. :stare:

It's gonna massively simplify ski trip packing, though- I think I can fit almost all of my usual gear and clothes in it, leaving my normal tiny carry-on for stuff I might want while flying. Only wrinkle is keeping it below 50lbs.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Fifty Three posted:

I bought a rolling ski bag on closeout and Jesus H I wish the seats folded down in my car. :stare:

It's gonna massively simplify ski trip packing, though- I think I can fit almost all of my usual gear and clothes in it, leaving my normal tiny carry-on for stuff I might want while flying. Only wrinkle is keeping it below 50lbs.

With one pair of skis, or one board, this is very simple for a 5 day trip. Also you got to have wheels, makes all the difference.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

spwrozek posted:

With one pair of skis, or one board, this is very simple for a 5 day trip. Also you got to have wheels, makes all the difference.
Yeah, I think so. With skis/poles/boots/helmet the bag was 32lbs or so. Shouldn't be bad at all.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You can fit your helmet in your ski bag? Is it soft side? I’ve got a sport tube and no way could I fit a helmet in there.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

You can fit your helmet in your ski bag? Is it soft side? I’ve got a sport tube and no way could I fit a helmet in there.

The soft sided are way better. Been all over with them, no issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I've got this boot bag and I love it:

Athalon 330-SIB Everything Boot Pack (Silver/Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AS9OJ4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Pa0VCbY9CGRE6

Obviously, I need a separate bag for my skis, but that bag holds my boots, snowpants, gloves, balaclava, helmet, a small empty camelback backpack, two pairs of goggles and I can still fit a couple of changes of clothes in it, with maybe a little creative packing. Although it gets up to around 30 pounds or so at that point, but the backpack straps are sturdy and comfortable.

Edit - Also, I think that bag could be a carry on, but I usually another backpack with me.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 23, 2019