Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

While modern cartoons are making 80s references the target audience won't understand, 80s cartoons were making 50s references the target audience wouldn't understand.

All kids show references will always be a generation behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Did..... Shredder do 9/11?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sockser posted:

Did..... Shredder do 9/11?

Nah, you're thinking of the World Trade Center. Shredder just hosed up pokemon trading for a while.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://twitter.com/NAveryW/status/1117360328289992705
https://twitter.com/AGuyWhoDraws/status/1117821131824566272

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A lot of animated shows back then had more bounciness than they knew what to do with, but when they did know what to do with it, it could be impressive. I think Disney shows in particular often try to maintain some bounciness even with computer assistance, which leads to features kinda sliding around. I think sometimes shows still do hand-animated sequences now and then, but only when they want to make a point of being bombastic. Maybe you'd see more if 2D film animation was still a big thing (CGI tends to shy away from complex warping of features and squashing or stretching). Anime can be similarly expressive and lovingly crafted, but they pioneered a lot of effort-saving techniques, so they never go quite as bouncy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z30Y572EmCk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InfYWolRDk4

There's probably a lot you could also chalk down to stylistic trends changing over time. I think a lot of the 90s was riding off of a lot of money being put into kids' cartoons, and they tried (maybe too hard) to emulate the slapstick of earlier Merry Melodies and Looney Tunes, which led to a sort of overwrought surrealism as the artists drew their own stylized take on a cartoon instead of a stylized take on reality. A copy of a copy of a copy in a sense. Maybe I'm just talking out of my rear end there. I find the change of art with the times fascinating, but I don't have any real education on it.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

God I loving miss how cartoons used to look. Just the texture and aesthetics of them.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Did this animator work on An Extremely Goofy Movie as well? The faces in that second video remind me a hell of a lot of the frat guy villain in that movie.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The feels like a ton of 90s Jim Carrey in that second one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also reminds me a lot of The Brave Little Toaster movies. (I had the sequels on video. And loving crazy to learn that the one where they go to Mars is apparently based on the original books)

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Just got into OK K.O., which is A.O.K in my books.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Pakled posted:

Did this animator work on An Extremely Goofy Movie as well? The faces in that second video remind me a hell of a lot of the frat guy villain in that movie.

From the late 80's to the early 00's Disney had a bunch of satellite studios (the main ones being in Japan, Australia, and France) that mainly did work on the tv shows and dtv sequels (though the French studio got promoted to contributing animation to most of the main films from Hunchback to Treasure Planet). Both of the clips were animated at the Australian studio, which was considered to be the "zaniest" one (the shows they contributed the most to were Goof Troop, Timon & Pumbaa, Bonkers, and Quack Pack). The second clip (not sure who animated the first one) was animated by Adam Murphy, who was also one of the guys who animated Bradley from An Extremely Goofy Movie (which was animated at the Australian studio; the original Goofy Movie was animated at both the Australian and French studios) and apparently animated a bunch of scenes with the Genie in Return of Jafar and King of Thieves (which were animated at both the Australian and Japanese studios) and probably some of the Aladdin show episodes also animated there.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

A lot of animated shows back then had more bounciness than they knew what to do with, but when they did know what to do with it, it could be impressive. I think Disney shows in particular often try to maintain some bounciness even with computer assistance, which leads to features kinda sliding around. I think sometimes shows still do hand-animated sequences now and then, but only when they want to make a point of being bombastic. Maybe you'd see more if 2D film animation was still a big thing (CGI tends to shy away from complex warping of features and squashing or stretching). Anime can be similarly expressive and lovingly crafted, but they pioneered a lot of effort-saving techniques, so they never go quite as bouncy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z30Y572EmCk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InfYWolRDk4

There's probably a lot you could also chalk down to stylistic trends changing over time. I think a lot of the 90s was riding off of a lot of money being put into kids' cartoons, and they tried (maybe too hard) to emulate the slapstick of earlier Merry Melodies and Looney Tunes, which led to a sort of overwrought surrealism as the artists drew their own stylized take on a cartoon instead of a stylized take on reality. A copy of a copy of a copy in a sense. Maybe I'm just talking out of my rear end there. I find the change of art with the times fascinating, but I don't have any real education on it.

As a case example, John K (gently caress him and the ground he walks on) pretty much idolized that sort of style and considered it the epitome of animation. Anything else was garbage to him. The sort of bounce and stretch is immediately apparent in Ren & Stimpy because that's the style he believed was objectively correct and taught others to emulate.

Idk about the inspiration or tendencies from other animators, but John K is definitely in that school of emulating the Looney Tunes style.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

god Mako was the only good part of that show

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's also the fact that of the cartoons of the 90s, a big chunk were derived somehow off of the old 40s-50s cartoon IPs, like Tiny Toons, Goof Troop, Ducktales, Animaniacs, and a number of others. Who Framed Roger Rabbit also put forth into popular culture a weird platonic ideal of what a cartoon was, collecting and boiling down the last 50 years of animation into some basic formulae, including the weird seams from when cartoons weren't exactly children's entertainment.

You can also see the weird increasing stylization of anthropomorphic characters, drifting further from any recognizable animal characteristics as they just become referential to other anthropomorphic characters, much like how many design aspects of clowns had drifted over 200 years from being their own jokes or references to becoming just what a clown is.

Eventually as the industry cultivated a new crop of animation talent, they developed new styles and took new directions away from the classics.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Is Disney + putting up the old cartoon block of Gummy Bears, TaleSpin, Rescue Rangers and the like on the service?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I think the only ones confirmed are OG Ducktales and Goof Troop. Plus new Ducktales, but that's it as far as Disney TV animation, discluding Star Wars and the newer Marvel series.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's also the fact that of the cartoons of the 90s, a big chunk were derived somehow off of the old 40s-50s cartoon IPs, like Tiny Toons, Goof Troop, Ducktales, Animaniacs, and a number of others. Who Framed Roger Rabbit also put forth into popular culture a weird platonic ideal of what a cartoon was, collecting and boiling down the last 50 years of animation into some basic formulae, including the weird seams from when cartoons weren't exactly children's entertainment.

You can also see the weird increasing stylization of anthropomorphic characters, drifting further from any recognizable animal characteristics as they just become referential to other anthropomorphic characters, much like how many design aspects of clowns had drifted over 200 years from being their own jokes or references to becoming just what a clown is.

Eventually as the industry cultivated a new crop of animation talent, they developed new styles and took new directions away from the classics.

Even then some of the outliers were just taking influence from different sources; the Batman and Superman cartoons taking a lot of visual inspiration from the Fleischer shorts. And fast forward to now, and you have the latest generation of talent taking inspiration from anime because that's what they grew up with alongside cartoons.

Actually does get me thinking about the directions cartoons from different networks took around then, though my idea of the timeline is pretty fuzzy and I can't be much arsed doing research atm. Who Framed Roger Rabbit does seem to have triggered renewed interest in old funny animal style cartoons, which different creators taking them in different directions; Animaniacs and its family of shows was a deliberate and obvious homage to old Looney Tunes shorts with stock characters put into various situations and settings, while Bonkers was pretty much a legally distinct adaptation of Who Framed Roger Rabbit itself, and stood out as a Disney show that draws more from Looney Tunes stylings. (Suddenly reminded of the irony that the main villain of Roger Rabbit is a toon who pretends to be a human, while the villain of the Bonkers pilot/first episode is a human who pretends to and believes himself to be a toon)

Nickelodeon took a different direction with Ren and Stimpy, for better or worse, being a big influence on a lot of shows that took the exaggerated expressionistic style of Tex Avery esque cartoons to a further degree and found it paired well with the current zeitgeist of gross-out, grotesque and boundary-pushing humour. That itself seems to have gone in a few different directions, Rocko's Modern Life doing something similar but with a bent more towards social commentary.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 19, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

that character is so grotesque and pathetic it feels like a reference to something/someone really specific that whoever created it must have loving hated

like if you just described it to someone (fat rolls on top of clothes, potbelly, high pitched voice, science type saving animals against their will, immature speech patterns) it sounds like a 1990s right-wingers negative caricature of an environmentalist. it feels like a John K character popped inexplicably into a Disney 90s tv cartoon

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Timon and Pumbaa show was really weird and pretty much a Disney attempt at Ren and Stimpy. Simba also showed up on occasion, the adult post-Lion King one, and while apparently accused of acting out of character to go along with their antics, given Timon and Pumbaa basically raised him through his adolescence, for Simba it'd be just like old times.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Timon and Pumbaa show was really weird and pretty much a Disney attempt at Ren and Stimpy. Simba also showed up on occasion, the adult post-Lion King one, and while apparently accused of acting out of character to go along with their antics, given Timon and Pumbaa basically raised him through his adolescence, for Simba it'd be just like old times.

Lion Guard's Simba was a weird racist for the movie they did. I don't think they know how to get Simba right anymore.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

What I remember most about the Timon and Pumbaa show is that I thought it had a better version of Hakuna Matata for the intro than the movie.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Look, can't a king take some time off to goof around with his foster parents for a while?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

In today's thrilling installment, a very ultimate showdown occurs.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/_alexhirsch/status/1120787686925537280

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

This show sounds incredible. I have a weakness for conspiracy theories as a theme in fiction.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Hell yeah, animated Coast to Coast!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
That post reminded me, whatever happened to JG Quintel's post-Regular Show show that he was supposed to do that was targeted to adults? I remember there being a trailer but I don't recall ever seeing it come out anywhere. Did it just get canned or development hell or did I just somehow miss the whole thing?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

TwoPair posted:

That post reminded me, whatever happened to JG Quintel's post-Regular Show show that he was supposed to do that was targeted to adults? I remember there being a trailer but I don't recall ever seeing it come out anywhere. Did it just get canned or development hell or did I just somehow miss the whole thing?

Clickbait title aside, this video shows a TBS press release from December which mentioned JG Quintel's show, Close Enough, as being "upcoming" and points out a tweet from February from someone who works on the show saying it's still in production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3U89iM8VZk

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

the show's airing def got delayed: shows that people moved onto after working on Close Enough have already aired (for example, a board team on Close Enough moved onto Victor & Valentino, and that show's already airing)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

the show's airing def got delayed: shows that people moved onto after working on Close Enough have already aired (for example, a board team on Close Enough moved onto Victor & Valentino, and that show's already airing)

That's definitely not a good sign. I wonder at what step of production it got held up in

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dreamworks is apparently working on a Where's Waldo? cartoon starring Weird Al:

https://screenrant.com/wheres-waldo-tv-show-cast-weird-al/

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009

Larryb posted:

Dreamworks is apparently working on a Where's Waldo? cartoon starring Weird Al:

https://screenrant.com/wheres-waldo-tv-show-cast-weird-al/

Where's Al though

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

captain innocuous posted:

Where's Al though

No idea who he’s playing, it just lists him as one of the voice actors in the series along with Rachel Dratch and Tom Kenney.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I'm not really a fan of Weird al's voice. He's good as a guest but I find his voice grating after a while.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

If the show does anything other than Odlaw voiced by Weird Al Yankovic I'm gonna be pissed.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Silver Snail posted:

If the show does anything other than Odlaw voiced by Weird Al Yankovic I'm gonna be pissed.

Based on the description, it appears that Odlaw is a girl in this series for whatever reason (and has been renamed Odlulu).

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

A new CN short:
https://youtu.be/vOj2DRxIn1c

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 26, 2019

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Larryb posted:

Based on the description, it appears that Odlaw is a girl in this series for whatever reason (and has been renamed Odlulu).

Do...do they not get it?

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

Do...do they not get it?

Well, to get past the international argument between Waldo and Wally, they've renamed the character Ululdo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sneaksie Taffer posted:

Well, to get past the international argument between Waldo and Wally, they've renamed the character Ululdo.

Speaking of which, wasn’t he still Odlaw in the European version as well as opposed to Yllaw (I know this was the case for the original 90’s cartoon at any rate)? Though to be fair, "Odlaw" is a pretty good name in and of itself.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 27, 2019